Who could we realistically hire tomorrow if Sark was hypothetically fired?

GreenspointTexas

33 minutes ago, Farmerted said:

Jeff Traylor

hes Herman without the resume

things will only change if the money stops flowing in. 4-5 ? Fuck it, the money is flowing. Until the money train is disrupted, there’s no reason to make huge changes. 

Urban Meyer ? UT has more than enough money to give him the biggest contract ever, but why ? The money is still flowing with out him 

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

Explain this to me; With the access of NIL, how are we not in the game of player acquisition?

NIL and buying momma a new car aren’t the same deal. No we aren’t in the game of player acquisition. Haven’t really been in it ever though maybe some isolated incidents. Just look at Nolen today, A&M landed the #2 recruit nationally out of Tennessee early. Momma said A&M wasn’t even on their radar. Texas has a long history of not cheating and sucking shit. We are here again. Shit once the players are here and NIL is legal we still will fuck it up. 

5 minutes ago, troph said:

NIL and buying momma a new car aren’t the same deal. No we aren’t in the game of player acquisition. Haven’t really been in it ever though maybe some isolated incidents. Just look at Nolen today, A&M landed the #2 recruit nationally out of Tennessee early. Momma said A&M wasn’t even on their radar. Texas has a long history of not cheating and sucking shit. We are here again. Shit once the players are here and NIL is legal we still will fuck it up. 

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-recruiting-Walter-Nolen-commits-Jimbo-Fisher-Aggies-top-class-174632302/

"With Nolen in the fold, Texas A&M's 2022 class rose three spots to No. 8 nationally. Moments later, Chris Marshall — the No. 4 receiver in 2022 — committed to Texas A&M as well, boosting the Aggies up again, to No. 6. Jimbo Fisher and his staff are in strong position to finish with a fourth straight Top 10 class and have more ammo to make a run at No. 1, breaking up the monopolized grip that Alabama (nine times) and Georgia (twice) have controlled on the the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings the last 11 years."

"The reason why Texas A&M is in on all of those names is the same reason they beat out Tennessee, Florida and several others for the 6-foot-4, 325-pound Nolen: Relentless recruiting."

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Again, we aren't committed to winning.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 1

4 minutes ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-AM-recruiting-Walter-Nolen-commits-Jimbo-Fisher-Aggies-top-class-174632302/

"With Nolen in the fold, Texas A&M's 2022 class rose three spots to No. 8 nationally. Moments later, Chris Marshall — the No. 4 receiver in 2022 — committed to Texas A&M as well, boosting the Aggies up again, to No. 6. Jimbo Fisher and his staff are in strong position to finish with a fourth straight Top 10 class and have more ammo to make a run at No. 1, breaking up the monopolized grip that Alabama (nine times) and Georgia (twice) have controlled on the the 247Sports Composite Team Rankings the last 11 years."

"The reason why Texas A&M is in on all of those names is the same reason they beat out Tennessee, Florida and several others for the 6-foot-4, 325-pound Nolen: Relentless recruiting."

The way things are going aggy will win the national championship the year we join the SEC.

Allsome.

• Rage+1 1

Sark is in over his head. He is letting Bijan get beat to hell while he has multiple good runningbacks on the roster. He has no quick passing game. He doesn't seem to be doing too well coaching the QBs. He looks clueless. I don't think he has the demeanor to be a head coach. He has already lost this team.

• Like 1

Why would Jeff Traylor want to come here?

Money. Come here, get a stupid big contract. Get fired and get paid to retire. Just recruit overrated players at the skill position to keep the gravy train growing while you watch Jerry Springer reruns and let some GA’s do all the work.

1 minute ago, Nivek said:

Money. Come here, get a stupid big contract. Get fired and get paid to retire. Just recruit overrated players at the skill position to keep the gravy train growing while you watch Jerry Springer reruns and let some GA’s do all the work.

Tom, is that you?

• Haha 3

Texas HC is one of the most lucrative get rich schemes in the world. Get overhyped, hired & overpaid, horrendous failure, massive $$$$$$ buyout where you essentially get a 25-50% salary raise per year. 

Financial gurus -- how much aggregate buyout has UT paid Mack, Strong, Herman and eventually Sark if he's fired after 2022? 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

Explain this to me; With the access of NIL, how are we not in the game of player acquisition?

Well, what if Alabama gets NIL deals for players AND hands them a bag?  Hm?

We are only in NIL because it's legal.  If those teams/institutions continue to engage in the illegal, which is fairly likely, we'll still be behind the 8-ball.

5 minutes ago, sportsbay said:

Sark is too smart and too nice for this bunch of players.  This team requires an asshole that is stupid.  We are going to have to turn over this roster and start over with guys that don't have to be yelled at daily and are self motivated.

He may not be that smart or nice, but it is possible that his alcoholic recovery "personality" is inconsistent with kicking the shit out of a bunch of bitch-ass players.  And even assistant coaches.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

He may not be that smart or nice, but it is possible that his alcoholic recovery "personality" is inconsistent with kicking the shit out of a bunch of bitch-ass players.  And even assistant coaches.

Didn't he get in a "verbal altercation" this very week with our, checks notes, 2nd best healthy WR on the roster?

Edited by HtownHorn

I’m guessing he gets a chance to hire a wunderkind OC this off season then cross your fingers.  It’s of course ludicrous that the “offensive genius” has to hire a 35 yo kid to save his ass because he can’t run an offense but theses what makes the most sense other than firing everyone. 
 That plus bagmen, bagmen, bagmen and go after every OL warm body in the portal. 

1 hour ago, Shaggy3.0 said:

If you're unwilling to play this game--and I'm not suggesting I actually believe Texas has never bought players--then it's foolish to go to the SEC, because you won't stand a chance at competing.

1 hour ago, Loather said:

Sark is in over his head. He is letting Bijan get beat to hell while he has multiple good runningbacks on the roster. He has no quick passing game. He doesn't seem to be doing too well coaching the QBs. He looks clueless. I don't think he has the demeanor to be a head coach. He has already lost this team.

yep. job is too big for him.  just like it was with Charlie.  Herman had a shot but was too much of a douche and fucked up his original staff.

3 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

hes Herman without the resume

things will only change if the money stops flowing in. 4-5 ? Fuck it, the money is flowing. Until the money train is disrupted, there’s no reason to make huge changes. 

Urban Meyer ? UT has more than enough money to give him the biggest contract ever, but why ? The money is still flowing with out him 

Did Tom Herman build a HS dynasty out of nothing and run it at an elite level for 15 years? Is there, or will there ever be, even a HS football stadium named after Tom Herman?

Is Tom Herman a fucking legend in the most fertile recruiting turf in the state of Texas?

How does Tom Herman's recruiting look compared to Traylor's, as both assistant and HC?

I am so sick of rehashing Herman's fool's gold resume, but the long and the short of it was: never showed he could win with his own players; never showed he could win without elite QB play; never showed he could recruit, had a propensity both big upsets and for blowing WTF games, esp when his mini-VY was dinged up or sidelined. 

I guess in the sense that coaches are hired right now, somehow that resume looks superior to Traylor's but I have come to believe that the generally accepted conventional hiring practices in big-time college football are stupid, bear little or no relation to success, and should be questioned at every turn.

I said it on the old site years and years ago: we should have fired Strong and his whole staff and kept Traylor and handed him the keys.

Kinda like Scarface did. "Hey Ernie? Joo wanna yob?

• Like 1

But I guess now our big bold "We're Texas" move would be to fire a respected coach after year one -- or fuck it, tonight! -- and eat two huge buyouts and tack on another huge salary to get the guy we could have had twice at a bargain-basement price. 

Sark is not a bad coach. He will be here two more years minimum. Hopefully he can get is to a bowl one of those years, but recruiting is trending down. We have no choice but to rely on the portal for OL and DL help and Sark is going to have to get pretty ruthless running dead weight off the squad. Because that is what most of it is.

And on a side note y'all keep talkin' shit about my Strake homie Jett Bush. Muthafucka made a play. Today. 

(Kidding -- dude should be wrecking shop at Trinity or something.)

• Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, Augustus said:

I was so drunk back in those days that I don't remember much.  Anyone recall what the situation/context was that resulted in OU firing Schnellenberger after one season?

He was so drunk in those days he didn’t remember much

Plus he wouldn’t let the players have water in practice and put one kid with sickle cell trait into a sickle cell crisis

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, MaybeACoordinator said:

But I guess now our big bold "We're Texas" move would be to fire a respected coach after year one -- or fuck it, tonight! -- and eat two huge buyouts and tack on another huge salary to get the guy we could have had twice at a bargain-basement price. 

At least now Traylor meets the “We’re Texas” requirement of previous D1 HC experience because we don’t hire coordinators or HS coaches!

• Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

we have two guys on the whole team who should be locked in as starters next year.   Why wouldn’t you take anyone and everyone available in the portal who can help?  Not any “depth” transfers, either.  He should be targeting potential starters, and selling them on starting.  

Agree with this, but the problem is that just about everybody in the portal is there because they're not good enough to start somewhere else.

It's one thing to steal a blue chip QB from a team that's got two.  I just don't know how we build an entire team that way.

I mean, Christ, for all of Herman's in-game issues, he did bring in 3 straight top-10 classes.  I'm not sure talent is our problem.

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Make em eat Taco Bell said:

Urban Meyer is washed up, a bad move.   I'd rather just rehire Mack. 

we should have never fired him in the first place.  i would rather have kept mack all the way than go through what we have gone through the past 12 fucking years or what ever the fuck its been.  horrible decision despite his last couple of years being dog shit too.  i trust mack to rebuild things wayyyy more than anyone else that has been here since.  our fans are a bunch of entitled fucking idiots and we deserve this.

• Rage+1 1

8 hours ago, Augustus said:

I was so drunk back in those days that I don't remember much.  Anyone recall what the situation/context was that resulted in OU firing Schnellenberger after one season?

Denying water to players in August, which led to one nearly dying on the practice field and another having to be hospitalized.

https://www.oklahoman.com/article/5439500/twenty-years-ago-today-ou-football-player-brian-ailey-suffered-a-heat-stroke-during-a-workout

https://tulsaworld.com/archive/the-road-back/article_7aefe94a-8c6f-5693-a9a2-694f580e71eb.html

Spoiler

Brian Ailey still has those moments, but they aren't as bad.

There are times when he leaves his dorm room and has to scan a checklist: "Do I have my keys?'' "Did I bring my books?'' "What time is my class?''

A lot of people do that. But as Ailey does, he slips into a fog, unable to answer the very basic questions.

In the beginning, he would stand in front of the door for minutes. Now, it's only a matter of seconds.

Doctors describe it as post-trauma stress syndrome.

Ailey admits he has not been the same since he nearly died in the hallway outside the University of Oklahoma football locker room in August.

Ailey grew up an OU fan. He and his father wore Sooner hats and t-shirts, and as a high school sophomore and junior Brian attended the Sooner football camp. OU coaches took a look at the 6-5, 256-pounder and decided to recruit the all-state lineman from Grove.

For a big kid, he could move. That's what the OU coaches like about him and why they recruited him.

Former OU offensive line coach Charley North was assigned to recruit Ailey before Gary Gibbs was forced to resign. North went to Arkansas and continued to recruit Ailey, but Brian decided to follow his heart and become a Sooner.

Although his mother was turned off by Howard Schnellenberger's militant style, Ailey liked the school to overlook whatever shortcomings he saw in the new OU head coach.

Ailey was anxious to please. He worked out during the summer and ran nightly with Northeastern State senior Tim Brown.

Ironically, on the second day of freshmen orientation, Ailey's time in the two-mile run was among the best posted by a linemen. He was two minutes under Schnellenberger's mandate of 18 minutes. But by then, Ailey was already in trouble.

On the first day of orientation, temperatures were close to 100 and the humidity was high. There were only four defensive ends, but Rico Harley, who was paired with Ailey, was unable to go because of his weight. It meant Ailey took part in all of the repetitions.

"They were trying to show us how hard it was going to be," Ailey said. ``They were trying to kill us. They ran us into the dirt. There was one five-minute water break in a two-hour practice.

Right after that, they had us lift weights.''

That night, Ailey became ill and dehydrated.

The next morning was the two-mile run. Ailey had four glasses of water after the run, but didn't feel up to eating.

The second of three practices was scheduled for later that morning. Once again, Ailey was solo. He ran nearly every drill.

Besides the lack of relief, there was Schnellenberger's old-fashioned and ill-advised edict to restrict water. The idea was that by denying players water, it would instill discipline.

Instead, it nearly killed.

Ailey felt himself losing it during practice, but hung in.

He trusted the coaches to push him hard in order to maximize his potential. After all, Ailey rationalized that Schnellenberger had coached the University of Miami to the 1983 national championship, and his Louisville team defeated Alabama in the Fiesta Bowl. Ailey expected the same magic at OU.

But, by the end of practice, he was disoriented.

Still ahead for the defensive linemen was a session in the weight room. Lifting was done while players wore shoulder pads. It was yet another bizarre Schnellenberger attempt to push his players.

Ailey doesn't remember exactly what happened next.

"All I wanted to do was lay down,'' he said," but we still had to lift weights. I think I blacked out because I don't remember lifting. They told me I was almost to the end when I left.''

Ailey stumbled out the door and nearly fell on a teammate as he slumped to the floor. His position coach, Christ Vagotis, called for Ailey to return or ``you'll run three more gassers.''

The next thing Ailey knew, he was in Norman Regional Medical Center's intensive care unit. He was packed in ice.

His face had turned purple as his temperature reached 106. His heart rate dropped to 30 beats per minute. His liver enzymes were six times the normal level.

"They told me I nearly died,'' Ailey said.

He spent the next five days in intensive care and didn't check out until day seven.

"The first two weeks I had trouble climbing the stairs,'' Ailey said. ``I felt real weak. I'd get out of breath easily.

"Since it happened, I'm real slow at things. I have trouble reading. I read one word and see another. It's like dyslexia. It's freaky. It's never happened before. I'm also real cautious about doing things. I'm getting better, but it's going to take time before I get my confidence back.''

Schnellenberger dismissed Ailey's incident as unfortunate, but insisted his coaching techniques were not out of line. He points out that he had been doing business like that for years.

Ironically, Ailey wasn't the only player who was hospitalized that day. Aaron Findley, another freshmen defensive end, collapsed and had to visit a hospital.

The incident drew the attention of OU president David Boren, who ordered water be available to players at all times. Still, there were times when Schnellenberger dumped the water.

A few weeks later, Schnellenberger talked about the dog days of August and how players had to learn to throw up and deal with adversity.

The insensitive remarks alerted Boren that there might be a problem. It was the first step that led to Schnellenberger's forced resignation in December.

"Coach Schnellenberger tried to blame it on me,'' Ailey said. "He told me I was fat and out of shape and hadn't run during the summer. That's not true. I'm glad he's gone. No one deserves to go through what I went through. He doesn't deserve another chance to coach football.''

Afterwards, Ailey was depressed. He didn't want to have anything to do with football. He was told to attend practice, but his interest waned. Schnellenberger told Ailey to visit him weekly, but he didn't. He had already made up his mind to transfer.

Ailey felt as though the coaches harassed him and blamed him for what happened. Vagotis repeatedly would ask Ailey's roommate Kelly Gregg how "that lazy piece of (expletive deleted) roommate is doing.''

"I just wanted to make it through the semester and then transfer,'' said Ailey, who followed North to Arkansas. "I hated the coaches and wanted to leave as soon as possible.''

OU has given Ailey his release and petitioned the NCAA for a hardship ruling that would give him four years of eligibility immediately at Arkansas without having to sit out.

From Boren to compliance director Larry Naifeh, OU has bent over backwards to accommodate Ailey. But, there is still a concern that he and his family might sue the school.

"My mom doesn't want to. I guess I don't either, although we still can,'' Ailey said. ``If I could sue Schnellenberger I would, but it would be the school that got sued. I don't want any trouble. I just want to move on.''

Ailey did not receive his medical clearance until Dec. 1, and has since gone through Arkansas' conditioning drills and completed the first week of spring practice without incident.

"He's doing real well,'' North said. ``We're going to go slow with him and monitor him closely. We won't rush him. He's still worried. There's a lot of anxiety there. "Physically, he's OK. Mentally, we'll have to break a barrier.''

Ailey can tell he's still holding back. He's lost a little of the edge that it takes to play college football. He has even had doubts about continuing to play and is using this spring as a gauge to determine whether he wants to continue.

"I've lost some of the desire,'' Ailey said. "I never had a problem with working hard. Now, I have a fear of it. I used to have complete trust in my coaches and myself. Now, I don't know.''

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Agree with this, but the problem is that just about everybody in the portal is there because they're not good enough to start somewhere else.

It's one thing to steal a blue chip QB from a team that's got two.  I just don't know how we build an entire team that way.

I mean, Christ, for all of Herman's in-game issues, he did bring in 3 straight top-10 classes.  I'm not sure talent is our problem.

I think you need to look at those supposed Top 10 classes closely.  Were they Top 10 because he recruited a bunch of 4 star WR, CB, or because he loaded up on stud O and D Lineman?  Was the ranking based on a few stud 5 stars that weren’t actually that good (see BJ Fosters of the world).  It seems any school can have what looks like a Top 10 class based on the rankings but that doesn’t tell the whole story of how that team will actually look a few years down the road. I don’t recall Herman recruiting very well in the trenches ( I believe many on this board were calling for the head of the OL coach or coaches for many years) and they were right as this is the crap  he left.

• Hook 'Em 2