Who could we realistically hire tomorrow if Sark was hypothetically fired?

GreenspointTexas

2 hours ago, BigOrange1 said:

today was awful (particularly because it was a carbon fucking copy of last week - just against a much shittier opponent) but we're never going to get anywhere if we keep changing coaches every 3-4 years.

Fuck it all. I say they select the 3 most prolific posters to this football forum and let them run the program by committee for 3 years and we can all watch and post from the peanut gallery. Let’s see how that works.

• Hook 'Em 3

if you get to use the outlier as an example i can easily reply with the tired example of saban going 6-6 his first year at bama.
One of those losses to a 6-6 Louisiana Monroe who couldnt beat North Texas, Middle Tennessee State or Troy that year. Not sure our roster is quite as depleted as that Bammer team Saban took over, but point still stands.

1 minute ago, Both Tacos said:
59 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:
Maybe we should have just kept turtle tom.  

Oh fuck no. We wouldn't have even been competitive in the last 2 games.

i don't get why people say shit like this.  being competitive was not the problem with herman's teams.  he had to go because recruiting was about to fall off a cliff if he stayed, but that's no reason to rewrite history.

• Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, Patricio Swayze said:

At this point I am ready to hire Matthew McConaughey and just tell him to act like a head coach. I bet his second half adjustments couldn’t be any worse.

Go ahead and hire an agent, a script writer, wardrobe, and a director if you want results…. he’s a fucking actor. I don’t get the love.

2 minutes ago, Michael Knight said:

7 games into a tenure and already people want to write him off. This is why people hate Texas, our fans are either ignorant blowhards or oblivious dilittantes 0 in between.

Since most people didn’t think he should get the job the leash was always going to be short. 

15 minutes ago, dcar00 said:

I'm resigned the fact that Sark is going to get 5 years because it is CDC's hire.  unless he gets his ass whipped 5-7/4-8 like once we move to the SEC.

Our move to the SEC could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on where you want Sark to end up. While we still have OU to fuck us and Alabama is going to be hard for a while I think the rest of the SEC is going to be net easier than what we are used to. Does that mean we end limping to 8-9 win season and then getting raped in a bowl game? I fucking hope not. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Can we kill this thread? Coaches in their first year at a new school:

Saban: LSU, 7-4. Bama, 6-6

Kirby: 7-5

Dabo: 8-4 (was previously on staff too). 6-6 in year 2.

Jimbo (Aggy): 8-4 

Fickell: 4-8

Franklin: 6-6

Oh, and Texas was 95th in the nation this year in returning production. 

I'm not saying Sark will be the guy. I'm saying it's way too soon to know. In fact, we just had two close losses to top 15 teams that we should've won. Glass half empty = we choked, coaches suck. Glass half full = we had both teams on life support and could easily be 6-1. Cultures don't change overnight. Rosters don't change overnight. It takes time. Heck, shore up the OL alone and we probably win both of those games even with all the other shittiness. 

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, ermahgerdhorn said:

Our move to the SEC could be a good thing or a bad thing depending on where you want Sark to end up. While we still have OU to fuck us and Alabama is going to be hard for a while I think the rest of the SEC is going to be net easier than what we are used to. Does that mean we end limping to 8-9 win season and then getting raped in a bowl game? I fucking hope not. 

The SEC thing will work itself out, the exposure will give an uptick to recruiting and outside of Alabama Georgia and now OU the rest of the league is mediocre

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Jimmy Johnson. Pay him $100M and give him the keys to do whatever the fuck he wants now that NIL is legal. His motivation to overshadow Jerry and the Boys as the most successful program in Texas is all the motivation he needs.

Pure fantasy and will never happen but it’s funny to think about. 

Jimmy's 78 years old and quit giving a shit about coaching 20 years ago

1 hour ago, MrBig said:

Jimmy Johnson. Pay him $100M and give him the keys to do whatever the fuck he wants now that NIL is legal. His motivation to overshadow Jerry and the Boys as the most successful program in Texas is all the motivation he needs.

Pure fantasy and will never happen but it’s funny to think about. 

Jimmy's 78 and hasn't coached football in 22 years.

Not sayin, just sayin.

56 minutes ago, BigOrange1 said:

if you get to use the outlier as an example i can easily reply with the tired example of saban going 6-6 his first year at bama.

gibbs, schnellenberger, blake,...stoops

the point is you can fire guys every 3-4 years until you find the right guy.   the poster said firing guys after 3-4 years won't help.  uh yeah it will if they suck

This Coach FunkSoulBrother has won 59 national titles.  Seems like a no brainer.  I think at the age of 95 he'll also bring much wisdom.  And it looks like he won his 59 titles at Texas.  Let's no quibble about how he got away and just find a way to get him back.

• Hook 'Em 1

So since Mack left we hired a guy the AD wanted, hired a guy the boosters wanted, and hired a guy the President and head regent wanted. So should we let the fans get the choice for the next hire in 2-3 years? 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, mdmost said:

So since Mack left we hired a guy the AD wanted, hired a guy the boosters wanted, and hired a guy the President and head regent wanted. So should we let the fans get the choice for the next hire in 2-3 years? 

Yes but Dildo McTitsFace is locked up under contract for the next 15 years.

3 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I know where you're going with this. Who's this year's Madden favorite?

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

He will get his 3 years unless there’s a fired for cause incident.   As others said, the revolving door thing doesn’t matter at all.  The only thing that matters is finding the right head coach.  The head coach has so much control over so many aspects of the team and recruiting in college football that it’s really just about finding that guy.  It doesn’t matter who came before or how many.

The fabled money whip actually needs to happen next time, though.   We’ve paid Strong, Herman and Sark market rate.  Whoever the established guy they really want is next time, we better give him a mega contract and actually close the fucking deal.   The difference in our revenue and even most of the other blue blood schools is still staggering, and it’s absurd how we manage to not use it for any productive purpose.

I mean, at this rate Whats the point. If he wins out keep him, but doesn’t anyone think that can happen?  Just start preparing to fire stark end of year.  It’s likely going to beed happen anyway. Why not be prepared.   History shows there is No point in keeping losers past year one.   

Edited by Xian