Kyle Rittenhouse

tx 3 putt

4 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

It's simple if you're a conservative: only "good guys" (read: them) get to claim self defense. Anyone else is by definition a lawless thug. 

My takeaway is that walking around in a state where carrying a gun isn't automatically associated with criminality (Wisconsin, as opposed to Mass) isn't in and of itself a threat. 

Which is what many of us thought would be the takeaway when we skimmed the law as this case was just getting started. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, tx 3 putt said:

well kr had already shot one person, skate boarder feared for his life 

I agree which is why I said it invoked the Thunderdome principle of "Two men enter, one man leaves."

Killing was legally justified either way. It was just a matter of not getting killed. Taking a skateboard to a gun fight is a losing strategy.

Lesson here is to fire bullets into the skull of an open carry person if you feel threatened.

• Like 1

Given the way the trial went, that is probably the right verdict.  But it completely ignores the fact that Rittenhouse really had no fucking business being there.  His decision to carry escalated the situation.  He is an idiot.  
What is pissing most of us off is the absolutely worship of this absolute idiot by folks on the right.  What we have seen is that a number of people ON THIS BOARD are ok killing people indiscriminately IF they are on the other team. 

KR having no business being there really wasn't on trial. But it will be in any subsequent civil suits.
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, tx 3 putt said:

well kr had already shot one person, skate boarder feared for his life 

that's the thing i get stuck on.

think on it.

if skateboard guy thought he was stopping an active shooter with his skateboard, do you acquit him if he kills the shooter with the skateboard?

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is America’s toxic gun culture. It is insane that a 17 year old kid can so easily grab an AR-15 and head out for some SWAT larping. And here is the truth: that AR-15 made Kyle Rittenhouse believe he had a role to play. It made him believe he could be a protector.

Without his AR-15 in hand, Rittenhouse never leaves his home and watches Kenosha on TV, which is where a 17 year old should be during a riot or disturbance. And Rittenhouse can’t fully be blamed,  because he is a teenager without a fully developed brain. Which is why we should keep guns away from 17 year olds.

Sorry, blacked out there for a moment. I think we can all agree that the real lesson here is that Rittenhouse needs to be Matt Gaetz’ intern and own the Libs. 

i've said it before...our American DNA, drilled in us since birth.

these guys nailed it perfectly:

amrica+fuckyeah.jpg

9 minutes ago, Eastwood said:

KR having no business being there really wasn't on trial. But it will be in any subsequent civil suits.

That is something that no one is talking about. He's going to be working two shifts to eat ramen for the next 40 years to pay for A) his legal bills and B) the pending 7-figure wrongful death judgement.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

if skateboard guy thought he was stopping an active shooter with his skateboard, do you acquit him if he kills the shooter with the skateboard?

Tough call.  Arguably, this supposed active shooter who wasn't shooting anybody was running away from skater dude, so skater due wasn't acting in defense of self. 

I think this all demonstrates that all parties to this debacle were idiots.

• Hook 'Em 2

37 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Now do the one with the commie “medic” trying to sneak up and execute Kyle with his Glock.

Kaptain Kyle dishing out justice to commies and child molesters. Roaming the streets with his AR just trying to do good! Good vanquishing evil with a spray of bullets.

Such a sick, fucked-up society we have. The acquittal doesn't make what he did right, but he will be widely celebrated. That the law allows heavily armed and politically motivated citizens to confront strangers is where the problem lies.

It lies atop an insanity that sees everything as a John Wayne movie. Good vs Evil. Black hat vs white hat. So simple and so untrue.

Greatest country in the world. The envy of the world. The most self-congratulatory crowd of yokels with guns in the world.

What a joke.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

I would think so. The law seems to encourage the Thunderdome principle of "Two men enter, one man leaves."
I doubt the same leniency is applied to situations that escalate in blood feuds like gang fights and hill billy shotgun marriages. Randos killing each other are acceptable because it isn't likely to escalate to crips and bloods or Hatfield and McCoys level of violence.

Obviously you haven’t watched the documentary series Yellowstone.

27 minutes ago, Skipper said:

The fact that the right is celebrating and the left is pissed off represents everything wrong with this country.  I bet the loudest voices on both sides didn't watch a damn second of this trial.  

I'm ambivalent.  Where does that put me?

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

That is something that no one is talking about. He's going to be working two shifts to eat ramen for the next 40 years to pay for A) his legal bills and B) the pending 7-figure wrongful death judgement.

My guess is that he hasn't paid for shit so far.  Or at least not close to anything that's going to make him working two shifts to eat ramen.  The Ricky Shroder's and GoFundMe's will cover his criminal tab if they haven't already.

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, South Austin said:

Tough call.  Arguably, this supposed active shooter who wasn't shooting anybody was running away from skater dude, so skater due wasn't acting in defense of self. 

kinda agree here. 

nevertheless, what is the duty of a citizen during an active shooter situation? are we supposed to shelter and hide? or are we supposed to be heroes? what if we have a gun? what is our duty then?

it all gets muddy.

10 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

This is America’s toxic gun culture. It is insane that a 17 year old kid can so easily grab an AR-15 and head out for some SWAT larping. And here is the truth: that AR-15 made Kyle Rittenhouse believe he had a role to play. It made him believe he could be a protector.

Without his AR-15 in hand, Rittenhouse never leaves his home and watches Kenosha on TV, which is where a 17 year old should be during a riot or disturbance. And Rittenhouse can’t fully be blamed,  because he is a teenager without a fully developed brain. Which is why we should keep guns away from 17 year olds.

Sorry, blacked out there for a moment. I think we can all agree that the real lesson here is that Rittenhouse needs to be Matt Gaetz’ intern and own the Libs. 

Good post. I have a tiny bit of sympathy for Kyle. Not much, because he at the very least was friendly with the white supremacist militia movement (even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't really understand that side of these groups and bought in to the propaganda about protecting law abiding citizens or whatever) and after the shooting was hanging out drinking with proud boys.

But he never really had much of a chance to be anyone else. At 17, he was very much a product of the culture he was brought up in. If he'd made some better life choices maybe he ends up going to college and meeting some different kinds of people and becoming a less shitty person, so I feel a little bad for him that he almost certainly fucked that opportunity up. The only people who will ever be open to befriending him now are the Johnny Sacks and outright nazis of the world. 

But, like I said I still only feel a tiny bit of sympathy about that, because odds are that he would've stayed exactly the type of person he was raised to be. Hell, he probably would've become a cop and ended up shooting some unarmed black dude in the back. Which I suppose is still a possibility.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I'd bet Johhny Sacks left nut that his legal bills are already fully paid and that he's going to bank on appearance fees, a book deal and the like.  He's a GQP darling and if it he plays it right, set for life.   Until the drugs, bad decision, wine or women bring him down.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

Kaptain Kyle dishing out justice to commies and child molesters. Roaming the streets with his AR just trying to do good! Good vanquishing evil with a spray of bullets.

Such a sick, fucked-up society we have. The acquittal doesn't make what he did right, but he will be widely celebrated. That the law allows heavily armed and politically motivated citizens to confront strangers is where the problem lies.

It lies atop an insanity that sees everything as a John Wayne movie. Good vs Evil. Black hat vs white hat. So simple and so untrue.

Greatest country in the world. The envy of the world. The most self-congratulatory crowd of yokels with guns in the world.

What a joke.

Except it’s been proven in court that he didn’t confront anyone. He was confronted. He was attacked. He fired in self defense.

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, PenelopeWitherspoon said:

Given the way the trial went, that is probably the right verdict.  But it completely ignores the fact that Rittenhouse really had no fucking business being there.  His decision to carry escalated the situation.  He is an idiot.  

What is pissing most of us off is the absolutely worship of this absolute idiot by folks on the right.  What we have seen is that a number of people ON THIS BOARD are ok killing people indiscriminately IF they are on the other team. 

He’s going to have a fucking statue and mentioned in glory at every magat rally till one of the trumps just decides to nuke the entire earth 

• Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Fletch said:

He’s going to have a fucking statue and mentioned in glory at every magat rally till one of the trumps just decides to nuke the entire earth 

$50 says he "writes" (it's probably already been ghostwritten) a book with a title that's some spin on "My Struggle."

• Rage+1 1

9 minutes ago, South Austin said:

Zero issues with this statement.

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Good post. I have a tiny bit of sympathy for Kyle. Not much, because he at the very least was friendly with the white supremacist militia movement (even if we give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he didn't really understand that side of these groups and bought in to the propaganda about protecting law abiding citizens or whatever) and after the shooting was hanging out drinking with proud boys.

But he never really had much of a chance to be anyone else. At 17, he was very much a product of the culture he was brought up in. If he'd made some better life choices maybe he ends up going to college and meeting some different kinds of people and becoming a less shitty person, so I feel a little bad for him that he almost certainly fucked that opportunity up. The only people who will ever be open to befriending him now are the Johnny Sacks and outright nazis of the world. 

But, like I said I still only feel a tiny bit of sympathy about that, because odds are that he would've stayed exactly the type of person he was raised to be. Hell, he probably would've become a cop and ended up shooting some unarmed black dude in the back. Which I suppose is still a possibility.

Teenagers are kids. They’re attracted to edgy and antisocial shit. Across races and socioeconomic classes, a percentage of those will act out on those edgy and antisocial temptations, especially if they are lacking some other critical things to keep them from going off the rails.

And that will look different depending on who you are.  One kid may join a gang, the other trolls alt-right forums. Many will grow out of it. Some won’t. We should ask why we make it so gotdamn easy for lost boys to kill people.

• Hook 'Em 2

10 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

I doubt it. He’s about to become extremely rich from all the settlements from the upcoming slander and libel suits he’ll be filing.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

1 minute ago, wildcat09 said:

Things aren't actually proven in court, unless you think OJ really didn't kill Nicole. 

I'm amused by the folks lecturing others on how criminal cases work and then saying things like "the justice system has decided he was in the right."

5 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

kinda agree here. 

nevertheless, what is the duty of a citizen during an active shooter situation? are we supposed to shelter and hide? or are we supposed to be heroes? what if we have a gun? what is our duty then?

it all gets muddy.

it should give all potential good guys with a gun pause.  they need to be absolutely certain that the other person with a gun was not acting lawfully. 

7 minutes ago, hayden_horn said:

kinda agree here. 

it all gets muddy.

If it’s actually an active shooter? Waste em. I don’t give a fuck if you’re left of Mao, I’ll celebrate you stopping them.

That does raise an odd question. If there is what I understand to be an active shooter situation and I see the guy run by and I heroically (stupidly?) tackle the guy and he kills me...is he then the innocent victim and I am the attacker just because he was not shooting or pointing a gun at me in particular? 

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

I doubt it. He’s about to become extremely rich from all the settlements from the upcoming slander and libel suits he’ll be filing.

Honest question: is there an example in this case that is more extreme than the typical high profile case? Other than a New Yorker I read on KR, I really haven't followed this case all that closely.

Just now, Valmy77 said:

That does raise an odd question. If there is what I understand to be an active shooter situation and I see the guy run by and I heroically (stupidly?) tackle the guy and he kills me...is he then the innocent victim and I am the attacker just because he was not shooting or pointing a gun at me in particular? 

That sure does seem to be what a few people are saying.

1 minute ago, Foosters said:

Honest question: is there an example in this case that is more extreme than the typical high profile case? Other than a New Yorker I read on KR, I really haven't followed this case all that closely.

Joe Biden called him a “white supremacist” live on TV. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 3

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

It means you're dead.  And, if he goes on trial in Wisconsin with this judge, you won't be referred to as a victim. 

2 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Joe Biden called him a “white supremacist” live on TV. 

Unless there's another incident of which I'm unaware (and I asked this board to help me find it the other day), no he didn't.  

From the Daily Mail:

Biden tweeted: "'There's no other way to put it: the President of the United States refused to disavow white supremacists on the debate stage last night.'"

From Newsweek:

The tweet included a video that, in addition to showing clips from the Charlottesville violence, had an image of Rittenhouse from the night of the incident.

Did he imply that Rittenhouse was a white supremacist in his tweet?  Absolutely.  But that's not what you said.

Edited by DDD Dad
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Is he the actual active shooter? Then you’ll be added to his tally. 

If he isn’t, he’ll have to articulate why he thought shooting you was self defense from great bodily harm.

Edited by lilMAC25

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

i think so. 

these laws as written such that unless there is an at-that-moment threat, and an unlawful threat at that, no deadly force can be used.  unless the burglar is leaving the premises at night in texas, because you can shoot thieves at night in texas (see case of dude shooting the hooker who took the money after he refused to pay)

10 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Some self-defense laws include the right to defend others, at least in Texas.  The prosecutor in that situation would have to show that you reasonably believed that you could claim self-defense if you were in the shoes of the person attacked. 

So it probably requires evidence that you've seen this supposed active shooter actually try to shoot someone else. 

Now, what happens if that active shooter was in fact trying to take down the real active shooter?

Angels dancing on the head of a pin and all.

Edited by South Austin
  • Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, South Austin said:

My guess is that he hasn't paid for shit so far.  Or at least not close to anything that's going to make him working two shifts to eat ramen.  The Ricky Shroder's and GoFundMe's will cover his criminal tab if they haven't already.

The going angle among our right wing "friends" is that Kyle won't have to work a day in his life.

I mean, it's an angle.  It's a stupid angle, but it's an angle.

Just now, lilMAC25 said:

I expect that he’s going to sue a lot of people and win huge settlements.

And he may. I'd just like to see how media coverage in this case opens the door to defamation anymore than the average high profile case. Hell, Richard Jewell lost the only defamation suit he filed that did not settle, IIRC. Its a high bar. 

• Hook 'Em 1