2021-2022 Astros Offseason Thread

Planet Houston

This deal is bullshit for Astros fans and makes so little sense to me why Carlos took it instead of sticking with his boys and running it back for another AL title. 
Cause its insurance. If he sucks next year he still has 35 mil in 2023. If he blows up he can opt out.

A one yr deal isn't good for him.

Every single player can tell you its not about the money, but it is about the money always
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, Scraps said:

Cause its insurance. If he sucks next year he still has 35 mil in 2023. If he blows up he can opt out.

A one yr deal isn't good for him.

Every single player can tell you its not about the money, but it is about the money always

Right, I understand that but it's hard to think the Astros weren't close to that offer and he has such a bond with his teammates and Astros fans that anything close should have kept him in Houston for the short term at least. I never thought the Astros would get outbid for him on a short deal like this one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Scraps said:

If we pull off some dumb fucking Story contract I will kick Jim Crane in his old saggy dick balls

I may be in the minority but fuck paying big money to Story. Save it for the bullpen and pitching and roll with the kid at SS.

Edited by Gourmand
  • Hook 'Em 4

Correa's deal with Minnesota shows me that he was never going to re-sign with the Astros.

I bet the Astros were willing to give him more than 35 for a one year deal. But the Twins deal gives him insurance if he gets injured or has a bad year.

And the Astros would have given him more than 105 for a 3 year deal. But the Twins deal allows him to re-enter the FA market every year if he wants to.

Correa always was and always will be looking for a huge contract to play in NYC or LA.

I’m just stunned that we wouldn’t give him that deal. Unless we find out it’s like 70 million in the first year and 30 in year 2 and 5 in year 3 or something insanely stupid like that, I just can’t even begin to get it. 

I’m not going to go on and on here because it’s pretty well established how I feel about CC and that he’s my guy, but I just hate this move. Worst decision Crane has made since firing Jeff L instead of dealing with a bullshit 1 year suspension. 

really feels like we will never sign a FA that isn’t middling bullpen shit. Feels like we’ve lost sight of the difference between cheap and value, between expensive and quality.

The Springer deal not keeping him around for 25 a year was bad and might well have cost us a World Series while this deal sure feels like it will cost us the opportunity to be in another one. Those guys both had big balls and took care of business in the playoffs. I have no doubt we will cruise to another division title but that lineup man, it’s been historically awesome and now it’s what- above average?  You have 2 great all around hitters (Alvarez and Tucker) coming into their prime, 2 guys who could be great but the arrow is pointed down due to age or injury, so who knows, (Altuve and Bregman), 2 guys who are consummate professional hitters but just don’t scare you or drive the ball enough anymore (Brantley and Yuli) and might fall off a cliff at any time bc they are old as fuck, the worst bat in the league (defense first catcher- not a complaint), and then 2 young bats that don’t profile as special, that will likely combine to be average at best this year (SS and CF). 

We’ve got arms coming out of our ass but people here seem to want to add more- but we’ve got a real hope and prayer vibe here offensively that we haven’t had since 2015. 

Edited by Wulaw Horn
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, BornOrange said:

Correa's deal with Minnesota shows me that he was never going to re-sign with the Astros.

I bet the Astros were willing to give him more than 35 for a one year deal. But the Twins deal gives him insurance if he gets injured or has a bad year.

And the Astros would have given him more than 105 for a 3 year deal. But the Twins deal allows him to re-enter the FA market every year if he wants to.

Correa always was and always will be looking for a huge contract to play in NYC or LA.

This. He was never signing here.

I know many are upset but I understand Click and Crane's reluctance to do a deal structured like this. I think they would have matched or exceeded a straight up 3 year deal. But the opt outs complicate payroll management. I also don't think they wanted to deal with potentially 4 consecutive years of "will he opt-out" or " will he re-sign"

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, TonyTexas said:

I know many are upset but I understand Click and Crane's reluctance to do a deal structured like this. I think they would have matched or exceeded a straight up 3 year deal. But the opt outs complicate payroll management. I also don't think they wanted to deal with potentially 4 consecutive years of "will he opt-out" or " will he re-sign"

Same thought. 

2 hours ago, htown85 said:

This stings

Fuck him. Statement made by all parties involved. Astros made the effort. Correa chose to leave. We mean nothing. He means nothing.  Moving on. 

FU Correa (my ex fav player).  That's some bullshit after all the trolling with Machete and others this past week.  

All to sell out to the fukin Twins?! Lmao.  Cool move bro. Have fun in shit weather and trying to find other Puerto Ricans to hang with. 

Stros will make you regret this.  

Edited by utxmike05

2 hours ago, htown85 said:

This stings

Fuck him. Statement made by all parties involved. Astros made the effort. Correa chose to leave. We mean nothing. He means nothing.  Moving on. 

18 minutes ago, David Dennison said:

The Astros are a contender without Carlos Correa.

I don't even care about Correa, but rather the "let's just replace him with a dude that has 30 AAA games under his belt" attitude that management is taking at the end of a World Series window. I'm excited for Pena and think he can be a solid SS, but man we need more options than Pena or trading away farm talent for someone in August. I'm also a sports glass half empty personality in general.

Edited by SimonBolivar
  • Hook 'Em 2