Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

3 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

We are differing on semantics. I consider MIT, Cal Tech and even UT Dallas to have operating models separate and distinct from UT Austin. UT Austin has a great engineering college, but I think few people look at UT Austin as an engineering university. I know I consider UT Austin to be much more than an engineering university.

Yes, we are differing on semantics.  I think probably 98% of readers would interpret your statement, as I did, to equate "great public engineering university" with "public university with a great engineering program".

• Replies 73.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

1 hour ago, bigcigar said:

Someone really hates aggy

I absolutely do not hate Texas A&M or aggys in general. I simply believe for the resources provided, the people of Texas deserve better than what Texas A&M gives back.

A&M loves to claim they provide "great value." Bullshit. "Great value" is a Walmart slogan the aggys have repurposed to try to deflect from the fact A&M doesn't offer great academics.

The ags cry with loud voices and in ever increasing numbers that the are "just like UT" but Texans who interact with the product of the aggy "education" know full well it isn't true. Education is about advancements in society and in knowledge. The essence of the aggy culture is refusing to accept change. Society cannot advance if it doesn't accept change. Which is why aggy culture struggles to advance.

I've pointed out before that because of the lack of intellectual capital attached to Texas A&M, the entire Brazos Valley has long struggled economically. The tech era has largely passed A&M by, while UT has served as the catalyst for the growth of the tech economy in Austin and in Texas. Even though the Texas Transportation Institute is attached to the A&M System, the revolution in hybrid/electric propulsion as well as autonomous vehicles has also completely passed A&M by. And the people of Texas pay the price, through fewer jobs in emergint technologies. 

The list of aggy shortcomings is extensive. The school brags about being a grand research university, but A&M trails U of H and even schools like Univ of Central Florida in patents granted. The research dollars trusted to A&M are largely wasted. 

Texas A&M is a failed experiment in public education. It epitomizes mediocrity on almost every level. Ditto for the Texas A&M System.

The people of Texas deserve better.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TrashMaster G said:

Yes, we are differing on semantics.  I think probably 98% of readers would interpret your statement, as I did, to equate "great public engineering university" with "public university with a great engineering program".

I meant "public university purporting to place a heavy emphasis on STEM disciplines and delivering on those claims in an exemplary manner."

Many people look at designations such as "liberal arts university" and "engineering university" as indications of the emphasis of curriculum and resources. I don't consider UT to be just an engineering university, nor do I consider it a liberal arts university. One shouldn't take that to indicate I don't believe the engineering college or college of liberal arts at UT to be very impressive.

A&M, on the other hand...

Let's just say I believe the History degree conferred by Texas A&M University College Station to be one of the most laughable wastes of money ever foisted upon the public treasury. My list of "only slightly less laughable degrees" offered by Texas A&M is quite long.

Well, secrant has officially shut down, since aggy is boycotting.....NOT.

re: Time for my Aggy brothers to Boycott the SECrant     Posted on 8/19/19 at 4:16 am to Rhino5

Yes truly sad. 
Aggy will forever aggy. I've caught hell for posting here "why you here sip, go home to BDF etc. etc. ad nauseum. First and foremost I am a college football fan. I've watched and rooted for LSU, Bama and Florida since the years of b&w television, searching the sports pages for football news. 

What has happened here is typical of a child throwing a tantrum. They left the "bdf" because they got no respect and were butthurt. Now they're leaving/boycotting a message board? Get accustomed to this happening on at least on a semi-regular bad as this is who and what they are. 

They thought by joining the SEC they would spread their wings and fly. Well no, all they did was pull back the curtain and expose themselves to the whole nation for what all of Texas already knew. 

Best wishes and good luck.
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Well, secrant has officially shut down, since aggy is boycotting.....NOT.

re: Time for my Aggy brothers to Boycott the SECrant     Posted on 8/19/19 at 4:16 am to Rhino5

Yes truly sad. 
Aggy will forever aggy. I've caught hell for posting here "why you here sip, go home to BDF etc. etc. ad nauseum. First and foremost I am a college football fan. I've watched and rooted for LSU, Bama and Florida since the years of b&w television, searching the sports pages for football news. 

What has happened here is typical of a child throwing a tantrum. They left the "bdf" because they got no respect and were butthurt. Now they're leaving/boycotting a message board? Get accustomed to this happening on at least on a semi-regular bad as this is who and what they are. 

They thought by joining the SEC they would spread their wings and fly. Well no, all they did was pull back the curtain and expose themselves to the whole nation for what all of Texas already knew. 

Best wishes and good luck.

Dang... that looks familiar.😎

13 minutes ago, Chad said:

Heard some rumblings that loud mouth O'Neal isn't slated to start for the aggy this season. That'll be hilarious if it's true.

You heard some rumblings? I mean, that's been known for months. He's slow as fuck, and early practice reports had him practicing with the 3's. True Freshman are ahead of him. 

2 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You heard some rumblings? I mean, that's been known for months. He's slow as fuck, and early practice reports had him practicing with the 3's. True Freshman are ahead of him. 

Let's not forget that dear Leon was Jimbo's highest rated recruit in the 2018 class. Ol' Jimbo sure knows how to coach 'em up, doesn't he?

By the way, the money from the $100 aggy Yell Leader Challenge is still unclaimed. The aggys claim back in 1907, their team was being outscored so badly, the wimmun folks was rarin' to git up and skee-daddle. So one of the rough, tough aggys stole some coveralls (why does almost every aggy turdition start with aggys committing theft? re: bonfire), and started typical aggy jackasses, much to the delight of the wimmun folk.

So, from the story we know it was an aggy home game during the 1907 season. aggy had 5 home games during the 1907 season. The first person to figure out which 1907 aggy home game the team was being badly outscored, leading to the supposed origin of the aggy "yell leaders," gets $100. This is open to anyone, including aggys.

Links to the aggy web page explaining the yell leader turdition started in 1907, and the wiki page listing the 1907 aggy football scored are in the quote box below.

When A&M was an all-male military college in 1907, students often invited guests from Texas Women’s University to take the train to College Station and attend Aggie football games. Then as now, only a certain number of guest tickets were available, and these would be handed out based on seniority, so freshmen were rarely able to bring guests to the games.

According to legend, the Aggies were being out-scored so badly during one football game that the TWU students were threatening to leave the game due to boredom. To prevent this, the upperclassmen ordered the freshmen, or “fish,” to find a way to entertain their guests.  The freshmen raided a janitor’s closet and changed into the white coveralls they found there and began leading the crowd in yells from the track area in front of the stands. The freshmen got so much attention from the women of TWU that it was decided that only upperclassmen would be allowed to participate in this entertainment in the future.

https://yell.tamu.edu/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1907_Texas_A%26M_Aggies_football_team

11 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Let's not forget that dear Leon was Jimbo's highest rated recruit in the 2018 class. Ol' Jimbo sure knows how to coach 'em up, doesn't he?

By the way, the money from the $100 aggy Yell Leader Challenge is still unclaimed. The aggys claim back in 1907, their team was being outscored so badly, the wimmun folks was rarin' to git up and skee-daddle. So one of the rough, tough aggys stole some coveralls (why does almost every aggy turdition start with aggys committing theft? re: bonfire), and started typical aggy jackasses, much to the delight of the wimmun folk.

So, from the story we know it was an aggy home game during the 1907 season. aggy had 5 home games during the 1907 season. The first person to figure out which 1907 aggy home game the team was being badly outscored, leading to the supposed origin of the aggy "yell leaders," gets $100. This is open to anyone, including aggys.

Links to the aggy web page explaining the yell leader turdition started in 1907, and the wiki page listing the 1907 aggy football scored are in the quote box below.

Dammit RD, I typically enjoy your posts but this has lie written all over it.  Do you really expect me or any other member of this board to believe that any aggy would claim "getting outscored so badly"????

Maybe had a point shortage, ran out of points/time/scores, anything, but I refuse to believe aggy would ever admit to "getting outscored so badly".

Shame on you..  .lulz

5 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The Higher Education Coordinating Board makes sure UT Austin and A&M serve distinct and separate purposes, although no aggy will admit as much. UT Austin has always been the public university designated to accept the best and brightest and to send them in a direction to assume leadership positions in each and every possible field. A&M has always been the school offering a non-academically rigorous vocational education to the masses. A&M claims to be "the oldest public university in Texas." That is unequivocally not true. Universities and colleges are not one and the same. Texas Tech and U of H began operation as public universities decades before A&M.

UT Austin has long offered an excellent technical education, but UT simply isn't designed to offer such an education to the masses. Part of Bill Powers' argument against Rick Perry's "reforms" was that if UT were to pivot and start to educate the masses, the limited resources provided by the legislature would lessen the quality of the UT education to the point that UT and A&M would essentially be indistinguishable. Were that to happen, the state of Texas would have no public university accepting the best and brightest and sending them in a direction to assume leadership positions in each and every possible field.

The state of Texas produces engineers every bit as brilliant as those graduating from MIT, Cal Tech and Georgia Tech, but they aren't coming from Texas A&M. They are coming from UT Austin and UT Dallas. That A&M cannot compete with the likes of MIT, Cal Tech or Georgia Tech is a stain on the reputation of the state of Texas and it is directly the result of the idiots at A&M who put more emphasis on culture than on education. As a result, A&M gives the people of Texas graduates deeply immersed in aggy culture and saddled with a second-rate education. Thankfully, the UT Regents understand just how badly Rick Perry's "reforms" are harming the Texas economy and they have placed added emphasis on producing quality technical graduates from system schools such as UT Dallas.

The mentally deficient will continue to be sent to Texas A&M in ever increasing numbers, to be indoctrinated in redneck fairy tale culture, while the UT Regents focus on the educational needs of the Texas economy. In time, UTD will be the public university in Texas on par with MIT, Cal Tech, and Georgia Tech, and aggy will continue to teach kids to squeeze their genitals, act like jackasses, and believe that Texas A&M won WWII all by themselves.

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M.

I forwarded your comment to John Sharp's office and to Chin Pubes. Chin Pubes said, "That may all be true but what about the dildos?!" and John Sharp said he was too busy testing out the new alcohol vendors for Pyle Field but would try to get back to me later.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Could have been against Haskell in 1908 - they lost 23-0. 

1 hour ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Dammit RD, I typically enjoy your posts but this has lie written all over it.  Do you really expect me or any other member of this board to believe that any aggy would claim "getting outscored so badly"????

Maybe had a point shortage, ran out of points/time/scores, anything, but I refuse to believe aggy would ever admit to "getting outscored so badly".

Shame on you..  .lulz

Not a single aggy has ever shown the mental facilities to figure out either that their story is a complete fabrication or the actual origins of their yell leader turdition.  The aggys have no clue just how poorly educated they are. But that has never stopped any of them from either demanding school administrators do better, or from arguing with everyone and anyone about how super smart they is! Whoop!

The people of Texas deserve better than Texas A&M.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

The state of Texas produces engineers every bit as brilliant as those graduating from MIT, Cal Tech and Georgia Tech, but they aren't coming from Texas A&M. They are coming from UT Austin and UT Dallas. That A&M cannot compete with the likes of MIT, Cal Tech or Georgia Tech is a stain on the reputation of the state of Texas and it is directly the result of the idiots at A&M who put more emphasis on culture than on education. As a result, A&M gives the people of Texas graduates deeply immersed in aggy culture and saddled with a second-rate education. Thankfully, the UT Regents understand just how badly Rick Perry's "reforms" are harming the Texas economy and they have placed added emphasis on producing quality technical graduates from system schools such as UT Dallas.

And don't rule out UTSA with the nation's #1 Cyber Security program.

10 minutes ago, markstanco said:
2 hours ago, Born Burnt said:
And don't rule out UTSA with the nation's #1 Cyber Security program.

Are they actually good at IT stuff? Honestly dont know. If so good for them on a focus for current real issues.

This is five years old, but they've actually improved the program since then.

http://www.utsa.edu/today/2014/02/cyberranking.html

7 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

They are now claiming he has been hurt. Though he was splitting 1st team reps with Carper (Carper was getting 2-1 reps). It seems that everyone is in agreement that Richardson will definitely be one of the starters.

10 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

They are now claiming he has been hurt. Though he was splitting 1st team reps with Carper (Carper was getting 2-1 reps). It seems that everyone is in agreement that Richardson will definitely be one of the starters.

Vag strain. Fairly common in CS and also in the Fisher household.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

I've tried to figure it out with no luck. I remember several aggy complaining about mods RAing their threads.???

Here ya go:

What is RA?

Since you asked.  

Cscg , west coast and sarge would barge into a thread.... 
.....turn it to shit, quicklike,  
then it would get anchored.  
Then they would say that you RA’d it. (Requested admin).  
But in their aggy board, they talk about RA’ing on the reg......and how the rules were unfair.  

another form of projection.....in other words, accusing you of what they do, themselves....regularly. 

The only time I RA’ed an aggy thread is becaise I wanted it stickied. 
Well, there ya go!

On 8/18/2019 at 4:31 PM, SydneyCarton said:

I just ran to the store for some cilantro. A giant ass fucking dually with mud flaps I’ve never seen before is parked on my street. The front of the car has an upside down longhorn trailer hitch cover in bright ass burnt orange. Its the only flare on the truck. Amazingly no aTm stickers, SEC stickers, 12th man stickers. 

Hate us more than they love themselves indeed. 

you should have put a note under his windshield wiper:

"the minimum requirement is 15 pieces of flair, and only 2%ers have 15 pieces of flair"

6 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Here ya go:

What is RA?

Since you asked.  

Cscg , west coast and sarge would barge into a thread.... 
.....turn it to shit, quicklike,  
then it would get anchored.  
Then they would say that you RA’d it. (Requested admin).  
But in their aggy board, they talk about RA’ing on the reg......and how the rules were unfair.  

another form of projection.....in other words, accusing you of what they do, themselves....regularly. 

The only time I RA’ed an aggy thread is becaise I wanted it stickied. 

Well, there ya go!

You da man, thanks and have some tep!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Hagbard Celine said:

you should have put a note under his windshield wiper:

"the minimum requirement is 15 pieces of flair, and only 2%ers have 15 pieces of flair"

The Lack of additional flair makes me think this could be a UT fan that had this emblem turned over by an Aggie and he does not know.  I don’t think Aggies can legally have less than 2 pieces of flair.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Two problems with that theory. 1) They claim it happened in 1907 and 2) the October 6, 1906 edition of their school paper clearly references the school's yell leaders.

large.2111103245_aggyvulgaryells10-6-06.jpeg.7cc5db97dbf46c92720da81aff291503.jpeg

Playing Devil's advocate - maybe they already had the yell tradition, but they didn't have yell leaders until the 1908 game against Haskell when the freshmen raided the janitor's closet. The 1907 date could have referenced when bringing TWU girls to games started as a thing - it probably carried on past 1907. 

At least, if I was an aggy capable of any sort of logic or critical thinking skills that might be how I would spin it. Not that any aggy is actually capable of that. 

The 25 most important players in the College Football Playoff chase

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27402100/the-25-most-important-players-college-football-playoff-chase

1. QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M   

"Mond looked spectacular in A&M's two most important games of the season. He scrambled for extra time, he trusted his receivers to go up and grab 50-50 balls, and he gave his team a chance to beat really good teams."

aggy fans...

giphy.gif

Edited by LTtxfan

The 25 most important players in the College Football Playoff chase

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27402100/the-25-most-important-players-college-football-playoff-chase

1. QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M   
"Mond looked spectacular in A&M's two most important games of the season. He scrambled for extra time, he trusted his receivers to go up and grab 50-50 balls, and he gave his team a chance to beat really good teams."
aggy fans...
giphy.gif

7e683e9dffc94fca60f4739799d22bf9.jpg

Mond is a solid QB who can win you games with his legs and not lose it with his arm. He looked tight most of last season but was improved greatly from the previous season. 

If he can stay healthy and upright he will have a good year. Shit, his season last year would be better than anyone other than Sam at Texas in the last 9 years. 

I think his lack of accuracy will keep him from pulling the upsets this season unless Jimbo amps up his running game (wild card). Injury would obviously be disastrous as would be here. 

Edited by ChickenSandwich

17 minutes ago, Johnny Sack said:

I'd love to see Mond do well and go pro.  And aggy to still lose 5-6 games.

This is not unprecedented.  While Mond can't hold Mahomes' jock, I note that in 2016, TTU went 5-7 despite Mahomes.  

• Like 1