Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

3 hours ago, ztejas said:

Playing Devil's advocate - maybe they already had the yell tradition, but they didn't have yell leaders until the 1908 game against Haskell when the freshmen raided the janitor's closet. The 1907 date could have referenced when bringing TWU girls to games started as a thing - it probably carried on past 1907. 

At least, if I was an aggy capable of any sort of logic or critical thinking skills that might be how I would spin it. Not that any aggy is actually capable of that. 

Did you not read the article? The very last sentence mentions "the yell leaders".

• Replies 72.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

3 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

The 25 most important players in the College Football Playoff chase

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/27402100/the-25-most-important-players-college-football-playoff-chase

1. QB Kellen Mond, Texas A&M   

"Mond looked spectacular in A&M's two most important games of the season. He scrambled for extra time, he trusted his receivers to go up and grab 50-50 balls, and he gave his team a chance to beat really good teams."

aggy fans...

giphy.gif

What a stupid list

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Lone Star Horn said:

Did you not read the article? The very last sentence mentions "the yell leaders".

Sure, but up until that point, the "yell leaders" could very well have been regular corps turds with megaphones. It was only after the freshmen dressed up like milkmen and started making those strange gyrations that the new aggy yell leaders became a turdition. 

25 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

Another white 12th man.  Ok.

I will bet you the next one will be a white guy, too.

Let's be honest. No aggy would tolerate a black athlete being named the team's "12th Man" any more than they would tolerate a black athlete dating one of their daughters.

They will tell Jimbo to recruit black athletes, and they will cheer black athletes on the field as long as the team is winning, but they will always remind them a "good aggy needs to remember his place and, like a good boy, respect turdition."

Edited by Randolph Duke
  • Like 1

Let's be honest. No aggy would tolerate a black athlete being named the team's "12th Man" any more than they would tolerate a black athlete dating one of their daughters.
They will tell Jimbo to recruit black athletes, and they will cheer black athletes on the field as long as the team is winning, but they will always remind them a "good aggy needs to remember his place and, like a good boy, respect turdition."

Serious question. How many walk on black athletes are there? I can’t imagine there’d be many that would pay to put up with that nonsense.

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Holy shit...

4 hours ago, markstanco said:

Do they still do that walk on thing with the 12th man? I thought it ended a long time ago. Like RC long time ago.

My God every fucking time the 12th white guy has a special teams tackle the announcers discuss it for 5 minutes and explain the turdition like they are reading from the bible.

8 hours ago, Dennis Taylor said:

It's one guy. In the Sherril days it was the whole kick cover team. Guy I played with in high school ruined his knee doing it. They scrapped it after somebody housed one on them. Took longer than you'd think though

To scrap it? Because If thats what you mean “longer then you’d think” sounds about exactly what I’d expect from ole’ aggy. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

I don't know exactly how old I was when I heard about the entire kick team being made up of walk-ons. Maybe 11, maybe 12. But my very first reaction was, "you mean the entire kick coverage team is guys who weren't good enough to get scholarships? Doesn't that mean they're kind of sucky? Isn't that risky?"

I don't brag about being smarter than the Aggies at 12 any more than I'd brag about learning to shake and fetch faster than the family dog, but it is kind of funny the systemic flaw in that cute lil idea of theirs was obvious to anyone who followed the sport.

9 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

I'm surprised ANY black athlete would want to play in fucking College Station. That there is proof that they are paying players. I'm Hispanic and even I don't understand it.

There is a world of difference between desegregation and integration. A&M ended racial and gender segregation in 1963, but to this day the administrators and alumni of the school have failed miserable at integrating women and minorities. Every attempt to change things to allow greater participation in school activities by women and minorities has been met with resistance and hostility, usually by those who venerate white, male privilege bleating about "turdition." I think the latest breakthrough was convincing the corps idiots that women actually do know how to pick up dog shit and properly use Pantene and blowdryers, thus making them actually qualified to take care of the inbred mascot dog of theirs. That only took in excess of half a century to accomplish and was done with great resentment by the white, male privilege rednecks.

• Like 2

Mentioned on the recruiting board but not here; word is A&M center Ryan McCollum, who going into fall camp was the likely starter at center, is out until around midseason 

Also mentioned awhile back, their 3rd or 4th best OT, Colten Blanton, might be out for the season 

6 hours ago, SwanderedTalent said:

I don't know exactly how old I was when I heard about the entire kick team being made up of walk-ons. Maybe 11, maybe 12. But my very first reaction was, "you mean the entire kick coverage team is guys who weren't good enough to get scholarships? Doesn't that mean they're kind of sucky? Isn't that risky?"

I don't brag about being smarter than the Aggies at 12 any more than I'd brag about learning to shake and fetch faster than the family dog, but it is kind of funny the systemic flaw in that cute lil idea of theirs was obvious to anyone who followed the sport.

I recall that their kickoff team was pretty good with walk-ons. The drawback was that special teams offer opportunities for bench players to get in the game and get some experience. I know I read about it back then, but I don't recall if that's why they changed the 12th Man player to a single Caucasian.

5 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

I recall that their kickoff team was pretty good with walk-ons. The drawback was that special teams offer opportunities for bench players to get in the game and get some experience. I know I read about it back then, but I don't recall if that's why they changed the 12th Man player to a single Caucasian.

Single White (Fe)male

It's the story of aggy's entire history  and their burning desire to BE tu.

• Haha 1

from the 'you can't make this shit up' category,  in true aggy fashion the first kickoff with the 12th man squad was an onside kick that went 6 yards

spacer.png  

The first kickoff for the 12th Man Kickoff Team was an onside kick that only traveled six yards versus Cal in 1983. Here it is: Tom Bumgardner falls on the ball as Bill Allison (7) and Tom Christner (3) arrive afterward.

Courtesy of Cushing Memorial Library

http://www.brenhambanner.com/brenham360/no-prior-experience-the-history-of-the-th-man-kickoff/article_ab274736-6016-5355-b43e-db81cfa4ec3a.html

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

One of the other problems was that the 12th man kickoff team wasn't on the travel squad so they essentially had to practice 2 completely separate kick off teams. 

Edited by NeverMarryAStripper

had to go with 12 huh?
One of the other problems was that the 12th man kickoff team wasn't on the travel squad so they essentially had to practice 2 completely separate kick off teams. 

That’s really stupid there.

I was at the 1990 game of aggy vs. tech at kyle field. Was in high school and a buddy was a blue chip running back recruit. I went with him to the game as a guest.
That day, Tech housed 1 on the full 12th man kickoff team.
Team parents were yelling it was bullshit for a bunch of scrubs to be on the team taking up playing time from real players.
That was the last game or year that RC had the full 12th man kickoff team.
In the pregame recruit meal a recruit accidentally dumped a full drink on RCs lily white sneakers. Every black recruit in the room laughed their ass off. Later they made fun of the guy again cause RC had some darker shoes on in the game. Said he jinxed the 12th man and RC with wetting the lucky shoes.
/CSB

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Scholz said:

Scared of having their fraudulent public relations persona shattered

I hope people have actually considered that...IF Herman gets us over the hump and competing regularly in the playoffs, perhaps with a natty mixed in, all while we don't play aTm anymore, this will literally be the best time to be alive as a Texas football fan living in the state of Texas. We'll be winning, and they will well and truly be the afterthought they are to everywhere else in the country. And their little heads will explode because there won't be enough cognitive dissonance for even those fucks to summon that will let them hide from reality. 

• Like 7

from the 'you can't make this shit up' category,  in true aggy fashion the first kickoff with the 12th man squad was an onside kick that went 6 yards

5a20181672b53.image.jpg?resize=1023,953  

The first kickoff for the 12th Man Kickoff Team was an onside kick that only traveled six yards versus Cal in 1983. Here it is: Tom Bumgardner falls on the ball as Bill Allison (7) and Tom Christner (3) arrive afterward.

Courtesy of Cushing Memorial Library

http://www.brenhambanner.com/brenham360/no-prior-experience-the-history-of-the-th-man-kickoff/article_ab274736-6016-5355-b43e-db81cfa4ec3a.html

I’ll bet it was hard to hear anything in that packed house. Look at all those fans.
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Magus Ossis said:

Translation:  "ANY TIME ANY PLACE NO WAY NO HOW"

As I've said several times,  and it's worth repeating....

It's a win for aggy by not losing to Texas!    But like stated above, as Texas keeps winning, and being in the national limelight with potential playoff bids, it'll eventually force aggy to come out and change their narrative and get in line to play The University in this great state.

From the perspective of the governance of the State of Texas, it's pretty appalling to me that successive governors and legislatures have allowed aggy to pay out of state cupcakes like Appalachian St, Kent St, UNM and Fresno rather than play what has to be the most historic and famous intra-state rivalry in the nation. I agree it's better for Texas than aggy if we don't play 'em because they can go wallow in their own shit and chicken shit in the poultry town of College Station. 

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

But the mere suggestion of ending A&M’s status as a branch of The University of Texas terrifies each and every aggy, from John Sharp down to the dumbest newly minted Fish Camp idiot redneck.

They not only haven’t moved on, they never will and are completely incapable of moving on. 

4 minutes ago, Chopper said:

From the perspective of the governance of the State of Texas, it's pretty appalling to me that successive governors and legislatures have allowed aggy to pay out of state cupcakes like Appalachian St, Kent St, UNM and Fresno rather than play what has to be the most historic and famous intra-state rivalry in the nation. I agree it's better for Texas than aggy if we don't play 'em because they can go wallow in their own shit and chicken shit in the poultry town of College Station. 

Fuck aggy. Never play them again. They chose and chose poorly.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

As I've said several times,  and it's worth repeating....

It's a win for aggy by not losing to Texas!    But like stated above, as Texas keeps winning, and being in the national limelight with potential playoff bids, it'll eventually force aggy to come out and change their narrative and get in line to play The University in this great state.

And then we can reply like this:

giphy.gif

3 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Any legislator that gets involved in footbal scheduling can f off.  Seriously.  It's not a damn bit of their business.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Chopper said:

in fairness, they have also paid in-state cupcakes such as SHSU, SFA, PVAMU, Lamar, and UTSA and will soon add TxSt and ACU to the list. Not sure why HBU can't get a taste... 

Edited by Dennis Taylor

They wouldn't play TCU during our period in the wilderness either.  UT, Tech, Baylor and OU all scheduled regular season games with TCU between 1998 and 2012 but A&M refused.  We did get a shot against them in the infamous GalleryFurniture.com Bowl but nutcase Casey Printers threw a half-dozen interceptions on his way out of town to transfer to FAMU.  They would never play us in the regular season though.  Unfortunately for them, they didn't get a choice in the NCAA baseball playoffs and we ended their season 3 or 4 times.  

• Like 5