Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I started going to games about 64, I guess we I was 6.  Two things always made the games good at home.  One was being able to see guys down under the stands when they came out onto the field and then back in after the game.  At that point the dressing rooms were under the west side bleachers and the Horns entered and exited the field around the 50 on that side.   The other thing was those programs.  I still have a few left somewhere, but really wish I had saved more.  I also wish someone would do a collection of them online somewhere.   Again, you are talking about appealing to a 6 year old. 

That's back in the day when every little cafe had a Cowpokes calendar at the register, and you could buy Aggie Joke books in convenience stores.   Saturday mornings were sacred because that was the only time you had 3 hours of uninterrupted cartoons and seeing those program covers put Bevo on the same hero level as those heroes in the comic books.  And vice versa for the anti-heroes, like the bears and owls and aggies.  Very roadrunner and coyote in retrospect I guess.

Loved those oldie programs.  My uncle graduated in 1957, went to all the games and saved the programs for me.  I wished to God I still had them.

• Hook 'Em 3

• Replies 73.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

3 hours ago, pyrohornIII said:

I started going to games about 64, I guess we I was 6.  Two things always made the games good at home.  One was being able to see guys down under the stands when they came out onto the field and then back in after the game.  At that point the dressing rooms were under the west side bleachers and the Horns entered and exited the field around the 50 on that side.   The other thing was those programs.  I still have a few left somewhere, but really wish I had saved more.  I also wish someone would do a collection of them online somewhere.   Again, you are talking about appealing to a 6 year old. 

That's back in the day when every little cafe had a Cowpokes calendar at the register, and you could buy Aggie Joke books in convenience stores.   Saturday mornings were sacred because that was the only time you had 3 hours of uninterrupted cartoons and seeing those program covers put Bevo on the same hero level as those heroes in the comic books.  And vice versa for the anti-heroes, like the bears and owls and aggies.  Very roadrunner and coyote in retrospect I guess.

The Stark Center has a collection of 100 or so game program covers.

https://archives.starkcenter.org/omeka/exhibits/show/longhorn-legacy/longhorn-legacy-intro

• Hook 'Em 2

28 minutes ago, Zone Read said:

Over the weekend went up to Fort Davis to visit the McDonald Observatory.  This is an amazing facility owned by UT that does cutting-edge research in Astronomy.  If you have a chance to visit, I highly suggest doing so.  The night star party is a hell of a lot of fun and I'm not even into astronomy.  Apparently little brother plays some small part in research that is done there and is a partner in consortium that is building some super telescope in the Chilean desert.  This sign on the property graphically depicts aggy's contribution to the project, and is also a good indicator of aggy's importance in the world relative to us.

IMG_9820.jpeg

That telescope is going to collapse, isn't it?

• Haha 1
  • Rage+1 2

Over the weekend went up to Fort Davis to visit the McDonald Observatory.  This is an amazing facility owned by UT that does cutting-edge research in Astronomy.  If you have a chance to visit, I highly suggest doing so.  The night star party is a hell of a lot of fun and I'm not even into astronomy.  Apparently little brother plays some small part in research that is done there and is a partner in consortium that is building some super telescope in the Chilean desert.  This sign on the property graphically depicts aggy's contribution to the project, and is also a good indicator of aggy's importance in the world relative to us.
IMG_9820.thumb.jpeg.79e0a7de9cb8fc7a5a2f1aae443b8585.jpeg
That's far too low key, you sure aggy is truly involved? If there were a few SEC stickers or a giant WHOOP! Then I'd believe it.

IMG_0621.jpeg.f5b8998e79293c1f34cbbdb5f4f8737a.jpeg
Those would be worth their weight in gold these days.

3 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

"Little Archie".

"Colt McCry".

"Radio".

Comic geniuses, every last one of them.

Cart McCry* 

One of their classier moments. God damn that game still pisses me off. 

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

My Dad played from 60-63 and he said there would be a program for that home game on each players seat/locker. He’d saved many and put them in a box decades ago. Now in his 80s, he has no idea where those are.

He gave his ‘63 season Cotton Bowl watch (vs Navy) to his brother, for his HS graduation present from him. His brother, now deceased, and of course there’s no idea where that is either.

Hook’em!!!

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ousux said:

That's far too low key, you sure aggy is truly involved? If there were a few SEC stickers or a giant WHOOP! Then I'd believe it.Those would be worth their weight in gold these days.

They’re involved, someone has to mow the grass and mop the place.

2 hours ago, Zone Read said:

IMG_9820.jpeg

Have you seen their contribution to the Colosseum?

• Rage+1 2

3 hours ago, SHOOTER12 said:

Loved those oldie programs.  My uncle graduated in 1957, went to all the games and saved the programs for me.  I wished to God I still had them.

Going back and re-reading this makes me feel old and sad. My uncle passed away 8 years ago, his family never permanently leaving Austin. He had 2 sons older, 1 younger and 1 the same age as me. Whenever we visited he always made sure to pay attention and spend time with me going over all things Longhorns. Sure miss them good ole days...

• Like 4

IMG_9820.thumb.jpeg.79e0a7de9cb8fc7a5a2f1aae443b8585.jpeg

The lady at our star party said that when she mentioned anything UT related, some people would hiss in the crowd and she never knew why until someone explained that it was because they were aggys and turdition.

e74c5e66553778d99ae47edd86e4a54a.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

The lady at our star party said that when she mentioned anything UT related, some people would hiss in the crowd and she never knew why until someone explained that it was because they were aggys and turdition.

Freaking morons can NEVER leave their turdish behavior at home.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Texas a&m isn’t a rival. Texas has a ~75% win rate vs them. OU is a rival. 

Just because aggy builds this game up and centers their lives around beating UT or doing “Horns down” at random times when they aren’t even playing Texas by no means forces Texas to go along with the charade of being rivals. 

aggy is and has always been a little brother type annoyance 

I saw someone say that this rivalry is deserving of a better trophy because of its prestige.

Prestige? It wasn’t played for over a decade after they left for the SEC. When was the last time both teams had championship implications going into the game? It’s nothing like TX-OU in terms of national prestige and a launching pad for playoffs. 

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Texas a&m isn’t a rival. Texas has a ~75% win rate vs them. OU is a rival. 

Just because aggy builds this game up and centers their lives around beating UT or doing “Horns down” at random times when they aren’t even playing Texas by no means forces Texas to go along with the charade of being rivals. 

aggy is and has always been a little brother type annoyance 

Way back in the day, a GaTech fan on rsfc had an incredible post discussing what to call "rivals" that weren't actually good enough to be actual rivals.

I've forgotten the winning percentages that he used to delineate, but it was something like:

Winning Percentage in the Series    Terminology

Greater than 35%                                  "Rival"

20-35%                                               "Punch-drunk Sparring Partner"

Under 20%                                            "Lapdog Toady"

• Haha 2

15 hours ago, MAUFRAIS said:

Dirty’s relic acquisition skills rivaling the ransom center

13d7c2de490cfe420ac102e1b4d4a97a.jpg

Tall Boys, Generic Beer, Champale.  Those bring back memories.    I remember the day we cut class to go the the local Maverick Market to buy one of the first six packs of Coors that hit our town.  Or maybe we pilfered it.  Always depended on who was working.

10 hours ago, Jersey Man10 said:

They never miss a chance to showcase their irrelevance.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Beau Vine said:

Way back in the day, a GaTech fan on rsfc had an incredible post discussing what to call "rivals" that weren't actually good enough to be actual rivals.

I've forgotten the winning percentages that he used to delineate, but it was something like:

Winning Percentage in the Series    Terminology

Greater than 35%                                  "Rival"

20-35%                                               "Punch-drunk Sparring Partner"

Under 20%                                            "Lapdog Toady"

Lapdog Toady isn't bad at all. Sorta thinking List-Eater and The Lapdog Toadies.

6 hours ago, BrazilHorn said:

Texas a&m isn’t a rival. Texas has a ~75% win rate vs them.

~ 0.65 (69-37-5, so how you count ties affects the calculation)

2 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Which one was that?  I can hardly remember who aligned with what schools at this point (save the Okies and Aggies).

3 hours ago, Js1 said:

When was the last time both teams had championship implications going into the game?

Off the top of my head, only twice in the last 20 years (05 and 09)?  And even so, both were won by double digits AT their shitty stadium. 

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Off the top of my head, only twice in the last 20 years (05 and 09)?  And even so, both were won by double digits AT their shitty stadium. 

I was wondering when  BOTH teams were contenders. 05 aggy ended 5-6 and 09 aggy ended 6-7

Im talking end of season clash between two teams vying for top 2 in the BCS or at least a BCS bowl berth 

Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I was wondering when  BOTH teams were contenders. 05 aggy ended 5-6 and 09 aggy ended 6-7

Im talking end of season clash between two teams vying for top 2 in the BCS or at least a BCS bowl berth 

1939?

(It's a joke. We were 5-4 that season.)

Edited by n64ra

11 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Last time Texas and Aggy played with anything remotely of consequence on the line for both teams was 1995. They had a 5-1 record in the SWC and Texas had a 6-0 record heading into the final SWC game, winner took conference. Of course, per tradition, aggy shit the bed and Texas flexed in a historic moment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, WelfareBuysMyWeed said:

Last time Texas and Aggy played with anything remotely of consequence on the line for both teams was 1995. They had a 5-1 record in the SWC and Texas had a 6-0 record heading into the final SWC game, winner took conference. Of course, per tradition, aggy shit the bed and Texas flexed in a historic moment.

So almost 30 years. Really prestigious 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Js1 said:

So almost 30 years. Really prestigious 

A quick view of wiki tells me 1995 was a #9 Texas vs #16 aggy matchup. They only one I see where both were top five is 1975 with #5 Texas vs #2 aggy.

3 minutes ago, n64ra said:

A quick view of wiki tells me 1995 was a #9 Texas vs #16 aggy matchup. They only one I see where both were top five is 1975 with #5 Texas vs #2 aggy.

JS1 said "at least vying for a BCS bowl berth." Winner of the SWC in 1995 got an automatic berth into the bowl alliance, which is what they called the BCS before it was called the BCS. That win got Texas a sugar bowl berth.

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

In that case you would have to go back 50+ years if at all. Probably pre-dates @Armybrat but maybe he could chime in. 

43 minutes ago, n64ra said:

In 1975, #2 undefeated Aggy beat one loss Texas 20-10, in B/CS (that was the game where they intentionally took out QB Marty Akins’ knees). The Ags had the inside lane on not only the Cotton Bowl, but the MnC after the win. 

Of course they lost the next game, upset by Arkansas, and then lost the Liberty Bowl to USC. They finished 10th and Texas finished (after a bowl win over top 10 Colorado) 6th. 

Poor Aggies. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Js1 said:

When was the last time both teams had championship implications going into the game? It’s nothing like TX-OU in terms of national prestige and a launching pad for playoffs. 

Never. The teams are never both good at the same time.

When aggy cheated their asses off (mid-80s to mid-90s, to be more specific about WHICH period they were cheating their asses off), they were good and we weren't. For most of the rest of history, we have been good and they have not.