Tell Me About Texas a&m

MrPhlegm

13 minutes ago, Pancho said:

There’s bee a ton of folks on here, on other sites, on socials that are freaking the fuck out about Traylor at aggy and I, personally, don’t know why. 

Are you wanting to see them land Dabo or Schumann as that makes them good or because that would fail spectacularly?

Schumann is benefitting from just being in Smart's orbit. People around the sport and who know those guys don't see Schumann as some sort of wunderkind. I would love that hire.

Swinney is Jimbo Fisher Part Deux. His folksy shit would work at ATM to an extant, but he's an idiot beyond the schtick and the game has passed him by, even though he's pretty young. He won before the portal and before NIL by creating the whole notion of family and running payments in a high quality bag game through a church and with the help of a $9.95ers helping funnel things. On top of all of this, he'd cost an arm and a leg both in the Clemson buyout and in salary. 

• Hook 'Em 1

• Replies 72.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Randolph Duke

• Longboard Horn

• Deej

• Cairn Horn88

10 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Swinney is Jimbo Fisher Part Deux. His folksy shit would work at ATM to an extant, but he's an idiot beyond the schtick and the game has passed him by, even though he's pretty young. He won before the portal and before NIL by creating the whole notion of family and running payments in a high quality bag game through a church and with the help of a $9.95ers helping funnel things. On top of all of this, he'd cost an arm and a leg both in the Clemson buyout and in salary. 

I don’t think aggy will be able to pass all that up.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Schumann is benefitting from just being in Smart's orbit. People around the sport and who know those guys don't see Schumann as some sort of wunderkind. I would love that hire.

Wasn’t the same thing said about Kirby Smart? That he just rides Saban’s coattails.

8 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Sad part of being aggy is knowing Jimbo probably would have won it all next year

Hyperbole, but you do wonder if they pulled the trigger too soon.  The problem is that Jimbo is a stubborn, smug asshole who lives in a 25 year old schematic and tactical box.  So they had no expectation of improvement.  But they did/do have elements.  Talented though injury prone upper class QB.  More experienced offensive line, remnants of a good defensive roster, a few good skill guys.   A 9-3, hope inducing season was not out of the question.  It feels like their decision was just a plea to end the noise.  Make it stop, as opposed to anything too rational.  The amount of money being thrown away demonstrates that to me.  But who knows what goes on over there, beyond the public bloviating by the supposed adults who give sound bites to the media. 

Edited by ClubWhatever
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, 'stache said:

He’s exactly the type of coach they should hire. Up and comer with good resume and would come at a reasonable price.

He’s an up and comer only insofar as he’s new to being a college football head coach. He’s 54 years old, he would be the 5th oldest head coach in the SEC. He’s only 3 years younger than Jimbo 

1 hour ago, Pancho said:

There’s bee a ton of folks on here, on other sites, on socials that are freaking the fuck out about Traylor at aggy and I, personally, don’t know why. 

It's called group-think and confirmation bias. 

Texas reporters, recruiting analysts, and Texas high school coaches have all been telling everyone that Traylor is a messiah for 5 years because he's a good ole Texas boy. 

It's never been based on what he's actually accomplished (which is very little). 

3 minutes ago, Rickylovesweed said:

Out of all the candidates listed, the coaches that would scare me the most would be. 

Debeor

Kiffin

Lanning

Norvell

Meyer 

Seems about right. I think Rhule is pretty solid too. Sounds like Lanning and Kiffin are out.

If ATM pays for any of those guys on top of Jimbo's buyout though, it will be truly embarrassing. It'd be like $20mm/year in current/former football head coach salary. For a "school"

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Candi Fisther said:

Perhaps but Rhule would bring a better staff than Elko or Traylor.

I'm too lazy to go find it but somebody did a breakdown of Rhule's college record against top 25 or top 50 opponents and it was abysmal. Like really, really, really bad. 

He's 52-48 as a college coach and 11-27 as a NFL coach. I don't think Rhule is terrible but I'm not sure why we continue to think this guy is a good coach. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Drool 1

20 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

He’s an up and comer only insofar as he’s new to being a college football head coach. He’s 54 years old, he would be the 5th oldest head coach in the SEC. He’s only 3 years younger than Jimbo 

He's been a head coach in cfb for 2.5 years and at a school that is closer to FCS than it is SEC. So no matter what he's gonna be learning a lot on the job. If I'm taking a flyer on an unproven coach that has to learn on the job, I'd prefer that coach to be 35, not 55. I'm already on record as stating he's my pick for comedic failure purposes, unless aggy could be conned into hiring Matt Rhule.

7 minutes ago, Candi Fisther said:

Matt Rhule interviewing? I don’t love that.

d5d4b73b4ed467d2d184394ec89ee048.jpg

Ooh Shit GIFs | Tenor

At the minimum Aggy would presumably have to match the $75M/8 years in addition to his $7M buyout.

https://nebraska.edu/-/media/projects/unca/docs/transparency/contracts/matt-rhule-employment-agreement.pdf

for this tubby choad, lulz.

image.png.47392e0110c0c78371c0e43a1d0c095d.png

Do it Bjork, please f'n do it. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

All true, but if Dabo were to take a Jimbo level contract from A&M, I'd have to consider him less stupid than I do now.

8 minutes ago, Teryor said:

Godfrey saying Sparty has Elko as their clear #1 target. Will be interesting to see how much they're willing to pay while still dealing with the Tucker fallout but I'd be excited to see the meltdown if he picks Sparty over Aggy.

I Hope Please GIF

Michigan State taking A&M's #1 choice (even if they won't admit it) would be glorious

• Drool 1

It is quite funny to see the lack of self-awareness from Aggies bragging that money isn't an issue even after Jimbo's buyout. Do they not realize that it should be an issue? Tons of schools could theoretically pay $20m to a football coach but no one else is dumb/childish enough to do so. 

I mean, shit, Stanford could dominate everyone financially if they gave a crap, but guess what, they'd rather fund computer science buildings and stuff that is actually productive to society.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

It is quite funny to see the lack of self-awareness from Aggies bragging that money isn't an issue even after Jimbo's buyout. Do they not realize that it should be an issue? Tons of schools could theoretically pay $20m to a football coach but no one else is dumb/childish enough to do so. 

I mean, shit, Stanford could dominate everyone financially if they gave a crap, but guess what, they'd rather fund computer science buildings and stuff that is actually productive to society.

Harvard would be relevant. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Well they are bragging other people's money , much easier to not worry about wasting