Lincoln Riley to USC

Landomatic

39 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yeah, but they were better with Stoops as head coach and Riley as OC than with Riley in charge of it all. 

Based on what? 

Even if you just compare Lincoln’s first two years to Stoops’ last two, Lincoln was better. 4 straight conference championships, 3 consecutive CFP appearances, two Heisman trophies. Stoops only won three straight conference championships once (‘06-‘08). Lincoln’s five year run is arguably just as dominant as any five year run during the Stoops era.

Edited by CurlyDumps

Yea so far there hasn't been much talk about the fact that there is a chance Riley falls on his face at USC.  It's easier for sure but he's still going to have to contend with Oregon and Notre Dame (at least in a CFP sense) every year and he will now get to be the coach of the team playing the role of Texas when it comes to that conference.

• Hook 'Em 2

30 minutes ago, Nicole44 said:

Nice denial Kliff on the OU interest rumors:

Kingsbury wasn’t quite as forceful as Steelers head coach Mike Tomlin when issuing a denial of interest in a college job, instead generally declining to discuss the topic.

“I don’t get into those things,” Kingsbury said, via Darren Urban of the Cardinals’ website. “My sole focus the last couple of weeks has been the Chicago Bears.”

Kingsbury was later asked why he didn’t flatly say he has no interest in the job.

“We’re in-season, we’re 9-and-2, just not a topic I want to touch right now,” Kingsbury said.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2021/11/29/kliff-kingsbury-on-oklahoma-job-not-a-topic-i-want-to-touch-right-now/

Same guy who took the USC job, then bailed for the NFL before the ink was dry.  Fool me once…

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Based on what? 

Even if you just compare Lincoln’s first two years to Stoops’ last two, Lincoln was better. 4 straight conference championships, 3 consecutive CFP appearances, two Heisman trophies. Stoops only won three straight conference championships once (‘06-‘08). Lincoln’s five year run is arguably just as dominant as any five year run during the Stoops era.

Stoops played for 5* national titles in 9 seasons (and won one of them). Lincoln has played for 0. Under the BCS format he would have played for 1 (2017). Maybe they beat Bama maybe they don't. 

I will say Lincoln's run is definitely better than post 2008 Stoops.

Stoops was also contending with the 2nd best decade ever of Texas football in his prime at OU. 

Edited by ztejas

2 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

2015 and 2016 are the two years they were both there.  The 2015 team was better than any of Lincoln’s teams as head coach.  Lincoln’s best team was the 2017 team in his first year. This year’s team without Stoops recruits is the worst team of them all.

If you compare 5 year periods, I agree Riley’s run is better than later Stoops (which would have to include some of the Heupel years before Stoops hired Riley).  But Stoops + Riley had the program in a better spot going into 2017 than OU was in now, even before Riley leaving.

Which makes the fact that we can't beat them even more infuriating.

6 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Lincoln also only coached five years. Not nine.

Then take 2000-2004. OU won 3 B12 titles, a Heisman, beat Texas 5 times, won a Rose Bowl, National Championship and played for 2 other NCs. 

There's no contest between that and Lincoln. Ask a Sooner fan. 

Lincoln didn't have to deal with 01 Corn or 05 Texas (05-09 Texas, really) during his tenure. 05 Horns would have bitch slapped all of his teams save maybe the 2017 squad. 

Edited by ztejas

13 minutes ago, Murfdogg21 said:

Nor should teams get a bye when playoff seedings/rankings are determined subjectively. Make it 8 or eventually 16.

8 is the perfect number as CFB is organized today.  5- P5 conf champs, Top non-P5 if ranked in top 8, and 2 wild cards.  If top non-P5 is NOT ranked in top 8, then 3 wild cards.  Conference championship still means something,  not winning conference championship you still have a small chance, and non-P5 teams always have a crack at the playoffs if they are close to good enough.  

Back to our regularly scheduled 'Riley was growing tired of the taste of dicks but Stoops still has that craving' programming...

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

1.  Yes.  They’ll play in division or pod in the SEC, beat up on a lot of bread, and still win a lot.  They don’t have to play Alabama every game.  Look at the SEC now and the Big 10 now.  The conferences are so huge you barely even play the good teams.

2, Why hasn’t it been easier for USC to win in the PAC 12 for the last 40 years?  Pete Carroll won big there.  It clearly is a great job where you can win big.  But they’re like 1 for their last 7 on coaching hires, and OU has been elite for roughly 60 of the last 70 years.  That seems a little more relevant than just pointing to a desirable location on the map. 

624687826_No_No_Hes_Got_A_Point_Banner.jpg.277a71beaeab2bd2cee2e7cbc41694e5.jpg

8 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Then take 2000-2004. OU won 3 B12 titles, a Heisman, beat Texas 5 times, won a Rose Bowl, National Championship and played for 2 other NCs. 

There's no contest between that and Lincoln. Ask a Sooner fan. 

Lincoln didn't have to deal with 01 Corn or 05 Texas during his tenure. 05 Horns would have bitch slapped all of his teams save maybe the 2017 squad. 

and throw in the fact that in the 3 seasons before Stoops took over, OU was 3-8, 4-8, 5-6.

Lincoln took over an OU team that had been 8-5, 11-2, and 11-2 in the prior 3 seasons.

what Stoops did at OU was astonishing.  what Riley did was disappointing given that he had two QBs that went 1.1 in the NFL draft and they couldn't win a playoff game, let alone play for or win a national title.

Edited by Jive Turkey

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

Yes.  They’ll play in division or pod in the SEC, beat up on a lot of bread, and still win a lot.  They don’t have to play Alabama every game.  Look at the SEC now and the Big 10 now.  The conferences are so huge you barely even play the good teams.

Doesn't matter about pods. You still need to go through Alabama, Georgia and occasionally LSU to get to the playoffs.

In the Pac you just need to get through Oregon. The Pac rarely makes the playoffs but the SEC has a couple teams camped out in the top 5 every season. It is definitely easier to make the playoffs at USC.

2 minutes ago, F250 said:

Doesn't matter about pods. You still need to go through Alabama, Georgia and occasionally LSU to get to the playoffs.

In the Pac you just need to get through Oregon. The Pac rarely makes the playoffs but the SEC has a couple teams camped out in the top 5 every season. It is definitely easier to make the playoffs at USC.

Right now, sure, but if we go to 12 teams roughly by the time OU and Texas go to the SEC then it will be fairly even. 

1 minute ago, Huckleberry said:

@DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt - Texas fans are fools, they always think they are a top job and destination and Texas is easy to win at but look at history! Texas is not a dominant college football program, if they were then they would have longer periods of greatness and fewer and shorter periods of crap! Location and resources are just words fans tell themselves to blind themselves from reality!

Also @DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt - USC is easier to win at than Oklahoma! Think of the location and resources! Ignore history and the periods of garbage and rare periods of greatness compared to Oklahoma!

Your super advanced stats suck.

So THERE!

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, CurlyDumps said:

Based on what? 

Correct....   Stoops didn't earn the nickname Big Game Bob for nothing.   

• Hook 'Em 1

The level of coordination and deception astounds me. I don't blame Riley for anything that he did.  He followed the playbook.  It's just a shame that college football has gotten that cold-hearted.  Maybe it's always been that way.  We just throw players away like trash.  There's no real loyalty.  It's all about the money and nothing else.

4 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

USC has usually played to the level of the rest of the conference, just like we did.   Somehow it’s not so easy for them to beat all those lame PAC 12 schools just like it’s not so easy for us to beat Iowa State or Baylor.

Do you even Lincoln Riley, bro?

I get what you are saying but your argument is based on the assumption LR is ass and it’s really Oklahoma that wins and not the coach like LSU. That could very well be the case but that is a different discussion than what we are having.

1 minute ago, Ojo Rojo said:

The level of coordination and deception astounds me. I don't blame Riley for anything that he did.  He followed the playbook.  It's just a shame that college football has gotten that cold-hearted.  Maybe it's always been that way.  We just throw players away like trash.  There's no real loyalty.  It's all about the money and nothing else.

Eric Dickerson's aggy Trans Am says hi!

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It was easier for us to win national championships in the 90s SWC than the 2000s Big 12, too.  All we had to do was get through aggy and a bunch of really crappy teams.   For that matter, it was easier for us to win championships in the 2010s Big 12 than the 2000s Big 12.  

Except it turned out we got a lot better players and a lot more prestige and pollster love when we were perceived to be playing in the big leagues instead of the second rate conference, and that’s what you need to win championships. 

USC has usually played to the level of the rest of the conference, just like we did.   Somehow it’s not so easy for them to beat all those lame PAC 12 schools just like it’s not so easy for us to beat Iowa State or Baylor.

Texas got a lot better players and a lot more prestige and pollster love when they were winning 10-12 games every year vs barely getting to .500 in a typical season. Texas will still be a preseason top 25 team next year playing in the Big 12. I'm not sure how much more love the pollsters could possibly give you. Program matters a lot more than conference affiliation.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

It was easier for us to win national championships in the 90s SWC than the 2000s Big 12, too.  All we had to do was get through aggy and a bunch of really crappy teams.   For that matter, it was easier for us to win championships in the 2010s Big 12 than the 2000s Big 12.  

Except it turned out we got a lot better players and a lot more prestige and pollster love when we were perceived to be playing in the big leagues instead of the second rate conference, and that’s what you need to win championships. 

I think USC’s AD is just as inept as ours (weren’t they the ones that kept hiring former Trojans with no experience running a large organization as their AD?) and as a result they make bad coaching hires most of the time just like us.

But all things being equal (meaning both programs make a great hire), USC has a much easier path to the playoffs than OU in the SEC.

Just now, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

I think USC’s AD is just as inept as ours (weren’t they the ones that kept hiring former Trojans with no experience running a large organization as their AD?) and as a result they make bad coaching hires most of the time just like us.

But all things being equal (meaning both programs make a great hire), USC has a much easier path to the playoffs than OU in the SEC.

SC might be inept but they are and have always been committed to the talent acquisition business unit. They don't hide it either, the media plays their role and no one hides it.

17 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

Would have been a huge upgrade for us this season. Sadly. 

Now that's an interesting hypothetical.  

A locker room malignancy on a team that already has culture issues.

And a guy that doesn't do particularly well under pressure behind an historically bad OL.

Fucker can throw, though.  Runs pretty well too, but I don't see him sacrificing his body like Sam did.

1 minute ago, ClubWhatever said:

wuuut?

Tyler Venables posted a pic of him and I think DJ Uiagalelei doing a horns down with Go Sooners typed across it to snapchat I think... OU Barstool picked it up and had it on their twitter but appearantly was told to delete it....

2 minutes ago, JMFP said:

Tyler Venables posted a pic of him and I think DJ Uiagalelei doing a horns down with Go Sooners typed across it to snapchat I think... OU Barstool picked it up and had it on their twitter but appearantly was told to delete it....

Possibly was an old pic from just after the OU/TX game, and if so, super out of context and misleading.

9 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Now that's an interesting hypothetical.  

A locker room malignancy on a team that already has culture issues.

And a guy that doesn't do particularly well under pressure behind an historically bad OL.

Fucker can throw, though.  Runs pretty well too, but I don't see him sacrificing his body like Sam did.

It would be all I could do to not hurl myself out of the stands and throttle him.

• Hook 'Em 2

29 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

what Stoops did at OU was astonishing.  what Riley did was disappointing given that he had two QBs that went 1.1 in the NFL draft and they couldn't win a playoff game, let alone play for or win a national title.

disappointing? seriously? are you fucking serious? lol

• won 84.6% of total games (literally the best in the history of the program, which included Switzer, Stoops and Wilkinson
  • won 84.1% of conf games (behind Wilkinson - 90% and Switzer - 89.7%) but ahead of Stoops (80.7%)
  • finished in Coaches poll top 6 4x, 2x in top 5 / AP top 7 every year (3/4/7/6)
  • won 4 B12 championships

this is like that moron who said that Lincoln Riley was their programs Charlie Strong

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, NoName said:

• won 84.6% of total games (literally the best in the history of the program, which included Switzer, Stoops and Wilkinson
  • won 84.1% of conf games (behind Wilkinson - 90% and Switzer - 89.7%) but ahead of Stoops (80.7%)
  • finished in Coaches poll top 6 4x, 2x in top 5 / AP top 7 every year (3/4/7/6)

this is like that moron who said that Lincoln Riley was their programs Charlie Strong

It's why leaving was by far the best decision he could have made. He's not winning the SEC regularly the way he did the Big 12. He can do that at USC, but at this point USC would be thrilled to death to win the PAC once every 3 or 4 years. He gets lower expectations, an easier path to national championships, and a ceiling that is just as high as at OU. He also gets more money on top of that.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, NoName said:

OU had one goal and one goal only during Lincoln's tenure - win a national title.  the Big 12 has been a joke.  it was a cakewalk for them.  they didn't give a flying fuck about winning another Big 12 title.

they had 3 seasons in a row with QBs who are currently starting in the NFL - two of whom were the overall number 1 picks in the league, and a guy taken in the 2nd round.  and they couldn't win a semifinal playoff game.

yeah, i get that UT fans would kill someone for Lincoln's record during that same timeframe.  but OU had totally different expectations than us, and the OU fans that i know were constantly disappointed because they lost the only games that mattered to them - the college football playoff games.  everything was just window dressing.

if you were here during the Mack Brown years, then you should know that winning 10+ games didn't immunize the fans from disappointment.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, DefinitelyNotHollywoodColt said:

Different AD from the dingleberries beforehand. And yes, they were Trojans. Pat Haden is the knucklehead that got this ball rolling downhill. Lynn Swann is the genius who pushed the ball faster giving Helton a ginormous contract for no good reason. 

• Hook 'Em 1