Texas Recruiting Notes 2025: Now We Have a Machine Gun

texifornia

Tyler Chapel Hill is a 4A program in the same district as Kilgore, Lindale, Pine Tree, Henderson and Palestine. there is no universe where i consider them a "small school"

now, Bussey at Timpson (2A, populatoin 991) who is in a district with Joaquin (population 728), Shelbyville (221!), Garrison (793) - that's a small school prospect.
acting like a 4A school is "small" is lazy as hell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 4A today closer to the size of the old school 5A?

38 minutes ago, ousux said:
4 hours ago, NoName said:
Tyler Chapel Hill is a 4A program in the same district as Kilgore, Lindale, Pine Tree, Henderson and Palestine. there is no universe where i consider them a "small school"

now, Bussey at Timpson (2A, populatoin 991) who is in a district with Joaquin (population 728), Shelbyville (221!), Garrison (793) - that's a small school prospect.
acting like a 4A school is "small" is lazy as hell.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't 4A today closer to the size of the old school 5A?

4A is still what the old 3A was. 

The old 4A is what 5A is now. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White

17 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

4A is still what the old 3A was. 

The old 4A is what 5A is now. 

All I know is that it is stupid for a school like Austin High to still be in the same division as schools like Westlake and Lake Travis. It's closer to Anderson, McCallum, and Travis in terms of size and competitiveness. It made sense a long time ago before they split up 5A, but that was the perfect opportunity for AHS to drop down.  

14 minutes ago, Park Gothic said:

All I know is that it is stupid for a school like Austin High to still be in the same division as schools like Westlake and Lake Travis. It's closer to Anderson, McCallum, and Travis in terms of size and competitiveness. It made sense a long time ago before they split up 5A, but that was the perfect opportunity for AHS to drop down.  

They should have relegation in 6A. If a team sucks ass for a couple of years, they should be dropped into some other division, Class 5.5 or something with larger schools that also suck ass. After winning a couple of years, they go back up.

It is dumb that schools with 2400 students are competing with schools with 5,000+ students. And the district with Desoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill is paired in bidistrict with Temple, Midway, and Harker Heights every year. That is just an unfair fight.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tex Pete said:

They should have relegation in 6A. If a team sucks ass for a couple of years, they should be dropped into some other division,...

I can get on board with trying this in some format; however, it's not like the Premiership where teams don't spend money or don't spend it wisely. Relegation might be the result of circumstances beyond the control of most of the schools and kids that would be subject to it.

They should have relegation in 6A. If a team sucks ass for a couple of years, they should be dropped into some other division, Class 5.5 or something with larger schools that also suck ass. After winning a couple of years, they go back up.

It is dumb that schools with 2400 students are competing with schools with 5,000+ students. And the district with Desoto, Duncanville, Cedar Hill is paired in bidistrict with Temple, Midway, and Harker Heights every year. That is just an unfair fight.

lol mentioning relegation. 

My high school was actively campaigning for relegation. The pitch was that students enrolled in the International Baccalaureate program "shouldn't count". I get it, but that went about as well as you'd imagine. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Tacky said:

I can get on board with trying this in some format; however, it's not like the Premiership where teams don't spend money or don't spend it wisely. Relegation might be the result of circumstances beyond the control of most of the schools and kids that would be subject to it.

I get it. Just saying that the stack is really stacked against some of these schools. I would bet in most cases, they'd be more than happy to drop down in order to compete.

5 minutes ago, Tex Pete said:

I get it. Just saying that the stack is really stacked against some of these schools. I would bet in most cases, they'd be more than happy to drop down in order to compete.

What about in 5a for teams that the "deck is stacked against schools?" Do they drop to 4a? Does 4a drop to 3a? Does 3a drop to 2a? Does 2A drop to 6man?

Relegation is the dumbest shit ever for american football. Especially high schools and collegiate.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BurntOrange&White said:

What about in 5a for teams that the "deck is stacked against schools?" Do they drop to 4a? Does 4a drop to 3a? Does 3a drop to 2a? Does 2A drop to 6man?

Relegation is the dumbest shit ever for american football. Especially high schools and collegiate.

The difference in a small 6A and a large 6A is much greater than it is in 5A.

Not saying it is a great solution. Honestly haven't even thought about it today, other than it is very tough on those small 6A schools.

On 2/7/2024 at 12:11 PM, NoName said:

giphy.gif.b9cd07f4a070c2b64c113a5ca13317f8.gif

The Shelbyville Sharks? 

5 hours ago, lilMAC25 said:

I see a lot of Bijan in his game. A touch less smooth with more power (comparing HS to HS).

No freakin kidding. Having never watched his tape before it was pretty apparent within the first few plays. That ability to violently cut upfield and run into the line and somehow pop out unscathed while running for a TD are Bijan all the way. That dude is going to be good. 

• Hook 'Em 4

23 hours ago, Park Gothic said:

AHS is 21.5 kids over cutoff and it’s in a school district that invests dick in facilities for sports. Having a kid there the principal will never drop them to 5A. Also coach has easiest job as in 6A there is zero expectation of success. It’s a joke. 

edit- takes in roughly 700+ transfer kids a year as well. Would be super easy to be under number. 

Edited by BrazilHorn
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BrazilHorn said:

AHS is 21.5 kids over cutoff and it’s in a school district that invests dick in facilities for sports. Having a kid there the principal will never drop them to 5A. Also coach has easiest job as in 6A there is zero expectation of success. It’s a joke. 

edit- takes in roughly 700+ transfer kids a year as well. Would be super easy to be under number. 

Austin ISD might spend more on athletics facilities if they didn't have to send $940 million in recapture money to the state this year.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Hornlover said:

Austin ISD might spend more on athletics facilities if they didn't have to send $940 million in recapture money to the state this year.

For sure. Also the administration doesn’t really give a shit about sports

• Like 1

Recruiting notes from IT

Spoiler

Here is some DFW recruiting intel for your Saturday a.m. enjoyment.

Riley Pettijohn, LB, McKinney (Texas)

The 6-foot-2, 220 pounder can fly on the field and on the track. Inside Texas caught up with Pettijohn, the On3 Industry Ranking’s No. 27 overall prospect, as he was getting ready for track practice. Pettijohn is part of McKinney’s 4×100 team and that speed is seen on his highlight tape.

As far as recruiting goes, Pettijohn’s goal is to be developed into a NFL linebacker at a school with strong academics. Steve Sarkisian made a trip by McKinney during the evaluation period, and the trip by the Longhorns head coach meant a lot to Pettijohn.

In addition to Sarkisian, Pettijohn regularly communicates with linebackers coach Johnny Nansen. The two schools Pettijohn mentioned that recruit him as hard as Texas were Ohio State and Texas A&M.

Pettijohn is the No. 27 overall prospect, the No. 3 linebacker, and the No. 7 player in Texas according to the On3 Industry Ranking.

Taz Williams, WR, Red Oak (Texas)

One of several talented prospects at Red Oak, Williams is in the process of paring down his options. He’s received 50 offers, but wants to cut his list to 10 soon.

Williams feels prioritized by the Longhorns despite UT having a very crowded big board. He speaks with Sarkisian and wide receivers coach Chris Jackson 2-3 times per week on FaceTime. He doesn’t have any visits lined up quite yet, but he’ll have a schedule soon.

Williams didn’t make it to Austin on January 20 for the Longhorns’ junior day. He told Inside Texas he wanted to see other places considering he’s already visited UT six times.

The On3 Industry Ranking tabs Williams as the No. 263 overall prospect, the No. 34 wide receiver, and the No. 46 player in Texas.

Elijah Barnes, LB, Dallas (Texas) Skyline

On Friday, Inside Texas caught up with someone in the loop on the four-star’s recruitment. One thing that’s clear is the Barnes’ are fans of UT. It’s to the point they consume a lot of Texas Football content. While that does give UT a bit of an edge in the recruitment, the Barnes’ are intent on going somewhere that prioritizes them. That’s not to say Texas hasn’t prioritized them, to this point they have been, but they don’t just want to fill a numbers need.

Like with Pettijohn, Texas is in a good early sport with the DFW linebacker.

On3’s Industry Ranking has Barnes as the No. 86 overall prospect, the No. 13 linebacker, and the No. 16 player in Texas.

A final note that we can’t go into great detail on but that is an important data point for the cycle, is, one “name” prospect recently wanted to commit to Texas. However, the staff felt it was best to slow that recruit’s decision down. Sometimes, especially in the current recruiting climate, you don’t want a target on your back with a recruit with so much time remaining. Just know, it’s yet another recruit Texas is in very good shape for and it’s someone you want in the class.

• Hook 'Em 5

A final note that we can’t go into great detail on but that is an important data point for the cycle, is, one “name” prospect recently wanted to commit to Texas. However, the staff felt it was best to slow that recruit’s decision down. Sometimes, especially in the current recruiting climate, you don’t want a target on your back with a recruit with so much time remaining. Just know, it’s yet another recruit Texas is in very good shape for and it’s someone you want in the class.

how is the above reconciled with the fact that we have accepted commitments from other highly sought after recruits?  I’ll hang up and listen. 

23 hours ago, Hornlover said:

Also they poorly mismanage money and spend a boat load on admin and random DEI bs.

52 minutes ago, Horn of Gabriel said:

Imagine how SICK our blocking schemes will be with a player who can turn his head all the way around backwards...amazing job Sark/Flood!

Some posters would be really excited if we could get that guy covering passes downfield. 

“That guy really gets his head around to look for the ball!”

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, kwood4408 said:

Pretty sure I saw that there is a dead period until early March.

He would have been on the last in home visit with Sark, but he didn't get his paperwork through in time to make the trip. 

• February 5 – March 3, 2024: Dead period
  • March 4 – April 14: Quiet period
  • April 15 – May 25, 2024: Contact period

On 2/10/2024 at 12:09 PM, Elmer_Fudd said:

Sam Spiegelman just switched his Texas pick on Chad Woodfork to Tech.

I can promise you that the quote above about telling a kid to slow down that wanted to commit was 100% not Woodfork. Though, Tech is recruiting him hard and is not a bad prediction.

Spiegelman is an idiot for putting that pick in in the first place. 

• Like 1