Ewers in the portal

Bruh Man

1 hour ago, B00M said:

Dude. Woah. 

He was fired because everyone knew his ship was sinking, so he couldn't even recruit at a high level on paper anymore. 

Remember when he had to fire all of his initial comfort hire staff? 

If he was good enough to coach here, why isn't he coaching a P5 team today? Is his name rumored in ANY searches?

Like was mentioned his evaluation skills were shit so he would have most likely been fired after this season anyway, but doubt he gets fired after a pandemic year 7-3 record if they don't screw up the Meyer pursuit by leaking it to the 9.95 scumbags. Once that leaked and they were publicly left with their tiny dicks in their hands Herman's ability to even recruit at the shitty level he had been was nonexistent. 

I would have liked to see what Mr Mensa would have done with two fragile QBs he couldn't run into the line 15 times a game. Would have been an interesting failure of a season to see. Although I think Ash had a much better handle on the defensive limitations and wouldn't have been as terrible as PK this year. I question PK's ability to adjust to talent deficiencies at certain positions like LB after what we saw this season. 

Edited by Hermanator
  • Hook 'Em 2

23 minutes ago, Moby Ric said:

This thread is an abortion.  I am going to fucking lulz if dude picks Tech over Texas.  You guys will lose it.

Are you implying that this thread will have any impact on QE’s decision on where to play next year??? Meh 

35 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They were both terrible in such different ways.  It feels like what one was "okay" at doing, the other was horrible at that.  Like if you smashed them into one coach, maybe they would be successful.  Or if they had some CEO managing them so they couldn't fuck up overall control of the team. 

Charlie: better talent evaluator, but couldn't coach them for shit (since Tom won with Charlie's players); king of getting blown out with better players than Tom had
Tom:  better coach, but recruited like shit (left a bunch of shit besides Bijan and a few guys on defense) and teams had no discipline or GAF (most of the 2019 class already being gone already); king of close losses/moral victories with Charlie's guys and losing when he shouldn't (Maryland)

Now evaluate Sark.

Especially the "losing when he shouldn't" metric.

Feel free to start at either being up by 4 scores before halftime to OU and losing the game, or giving over over 50 points to Kansas at home.

The same people who were clueless about Charlie Strong and Tom Herman are today touting Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, Js1 said:

They were both terrible in such different ways.  It feels like what one was "okay" at doing, the other was horrible at that.  Like if you smashed them into one coach, maybe they would be successful.  Or if they had some CEO managing them so they couldn't fuck up overall control of the team. 

Charlie: better talent evaluator, but couldn't coach them for shit (since Tom won with Charlie's players); king of getting blown out with better players than Tom had
Tom:  better coach, but recruited like shit (left a bunch of shit besides Bijan and a few guys on defense) and teams had no discipline or GAF (most of the 2019 class already being gone already); king of close losses/moral victories with Charlie's guys and losing when he shouldn't (Maryland)

A team that has MB in his prime as head coach with Charlie as DC and Herman as OC might be pretty good.

Edited by John Coctostan

10 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

Feel free to start at either being up by 4 scores before halftime to OU and losing the game, or giving over over 50 points to Kansas at home.

The same people who were clueless about Charlie Strong and Tom Herman are today touting Sark.

I'm not going to evaluate Sark after 1 year with the shittiest OL in Texas history (I'd rather have Colt's 2009 line against Nebraska than this shit), a deer in the headlights RS FR QB and the other who basically lost his thumb, a bunch of WRs who can't catch or are made of glass (besides Worthy) and starting fucking Brockemeyer and Bush on defense. 

We are reaping what Tom sowed with his shit ass recruiting and the top of the 2019 class leaving.  

Just now, John Coctostan said:

A team MB in his prime as head coach with Charlie as DC and Herman as OC might be pretty good.

Yeah actually - that team would be really legit. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, Js1 said:

So coordinators then. Got it. (Agree with all of your analysis, BTW.)

48 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office

Edited by lilMAC25

44 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

Or we're being realistic and understand Sark is here for at least one more season, probably two or three. We might as well let this play out how it might. We're likely about to land the #1 QB recruit in the country in Ewers and we're hopeful his commitment results in some last-minute flips of 4/5-star talent that are earmarked to big rivals at the moment. Ewers would NOT be coming her to play for either Charlie or Herman. In fact, Herman is Exhibit A why we lost Ewers' commitment the first time.

We'll have plenty of time for post-mortem on Sark's tenure once it's over. It's not over at the moment. I prefer to live in the world where the die has not been cast yet.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

Most have taken him to task and deservedly so.  His first year sucked ass.  That said Charlie did so for three years and lost to Kansas in year 3.  Rest assured Sark won't last even a second like the first if he doesn't land some major recruits.  As far as Tom is concerned he was fired for losing QE, the inability to recruit and for putting a shitty offense on the field.  Again, if Sark doesn't land QE and his offense is a bust yet again, i'd say he is gone after year two.  1 and 2 years before Chuck or Tommy.  So no one is giving Sark a pass.  Let it run its course.    

• Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, RollLeft said:

Most have taken him to task and deservedly so.  His first year sucked ass.  That said Charlie did so for three years and lost to Kansas in year 3.  Rest assured Sark won't last even a second like the first if he doesn't land some major recruits.  As far as Tom is concerned he was fired for losing QE, the inability to recruit and for putting a shitty offense on the field.  Again, if Sark doesn't land QE and his offense is a bust yet again, i'd say he is gone after year two.  1 and 2 years before Chuck or Tommy.  So no one is giving Sark a pass.  Let it run its course.    

I understand. It will be what it will be.

My frustration is when the system for choosing a new head coach is to assemble a group of blind monkeys in a room to throw darts at a list of candidates, it often leads to a "wtf moment" which, in Texas' case, has lasted for quite a long time. Too long in the minds of some.

This past season was a rather profound "wtf" moment.

The problem with Texas football isn't that we don't have Quinn Ewers or that we do have Steve Sarkisian.

The problem is we have some really shitty monkeys.

And the answer to problems isn't to fire Sarkisian and then yell "assemble the monkeys!" The answer is to start asking now how the monkeys have gotten it so wrong, so often, for so long, and to then either get a higher caliber of monkeys or make some changes in how the decisions are being made. Some very painful soul searching needs to be done now, so when what many of us fear to be the inevitable happens, we have a better plan that to (yet again) yell "assemble the monkeys!" Or at least we aren't (yet again) assembling the same collection of blind monkeys who have already failed repeatedly. And spectacularly.

But that isn't how things work at Texas because the Texas monkeys happen to also be members of the "lucky sperm club" so they throw money from their cages at university administrators and ladder-climbing state politicians and insist next time they will do what they proven inept at doing for a really long time. Which is demonstrating a grasp of what attributes make an effective college football coach. Or at least one that can get past his first contract at Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

ok, my response was too long of a post for even me to type out, so i'm going back to the ole youtube video post. also, i'm just getting over a cold, so sorry about that. anyway, this back and forth about Sark is so stupid and pointless. here's why:

• Like 1

i hate Herman. he is a childish dick.

but he was THE guy at the time we were hiring. the powers at be had no choice due to public perception of who Herman was as a coach. there would have been blood in the streets if we didn't hire Herman.

now we know everybody was wrong.

28 minutes ago, Randolph Duke said:

I understand. It will be what it will be.

My frustration is when the system for choosing a new head coach is to assemble a group of blind monkeys in a room to throw darts at a list of candidates, it often leads to a "wtf moment" which, in Texas' case, has lasted for quite a long time. Too long in the minds of some.

This past season was a rather profound "wtf" moment.

The problem with Texas football isn't that we don't have Quinn Ewers or that we do have Steve Sarkisian.

The problem is we have some really shitty monkeys.

And the answer to problems isn't to fire Sarkisian and then yell "assemble the monkeys!" The answer is to start asking now how the monkeys have gotten it so wrong, so often, for so long, and to then either get a higher caliber of monkeys or make some changes in how the decisions are being made. Some very painful soul searching needs to be done now, so when what many of us fear to be the inevitable happens, we have a better plan that to (yet again) yell "assemble the monkeys!" Or at least we aren't (yet again) assembling the same collection of blind monkeys who have already failed repeatedly. And spectacularly.

But that isn't how things work at Texas because the Texas monkeys happen to also be members of the "lucky sperm club" so they throw money from their cages at university administrators and ladder-climbing state politicians and insist next time they will do what they proven inept at doing for a really long time. Which is demonstrating a grasp of what attributes make an effective college football coach. Or at least one that can get past his first contract at Texas.

This. And don’t forget it was these same band of monkeys who first brought us the great Stevie P when he “blew them away” in his interview and set this shitshow in a slow motion ride through hell. 

If Sark can land the guy who Herman managed to run off despite being the number one QB recruit in the state who grew up a longhorn fan, then maybe the ship can start to turn around. 

Isn't it amazing how just a few guys with keyboards can see so clearly how things work, what the problems are, and how to fix them, just simply amazing. 

Such an incredible world we live in where the people who have actually achieved something are such total screw ups with no clue (and are monkeys throwing darts at a board) and folks who have never achieved squat have all the answers and their answers are 100% correct.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, 927 E. 41st said:

Isn't it amazing how just a few guys with keyboards can see so clearly how things work, what the problems are, and how to fix them, just simply amazing. 

Such an incredible world we live in where the people who have actually achieved something are such total screw ups with no clue (and are monkeys throwing darts at a board) and folks who have never achieved squat have all the answers and their answers are 100% correct.

So does this mean you were on the “lets all get together and hire Herman” committee? Because I know I guy who was and he basically describes it like Randolph Duke does. His only qualification was having a bunch of dough and being a donor to UT. Wasn’t his call though. 

In any event the results speak for themselves.

2 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

It seems like there are two camps.

If you loathed Mack, you probably liked Charlie, hated Tom, and hope beyond hope for Sark.

If you knew it was time for Mack to go but didn't hate him, then you probably thought Charlie was an abomination, considered Herman an improvement, and want Sark replaced by a top performer ASAP.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 hours ago, Randolph Duke said:

Now evaluate Sark.

I give EVERY coach a chance to learn and correct his mistakes. Herman kept making the same mistakes. He would get leads and then just curl up in a ball. But he wouldn't fix it. Sark is doing the same thing. But he has a chance to fix his mistakes and learn from what he did wrong this past season. If he doesn't improve as a coach, he is gone. But he gets a shot.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Like was mentioned his evaluation skills were shit so he would have most likely been fired after this season anyway, but doubt he gets fired after a pandemic year 7-3 record if they don't screw up the Meyer pursuit by leaking it to the 9.95 scumbags. Once that leaked and they were publicly left with their tiny dicks in their hands Herman's ability to even recruit at the shitty level he had been was nonexistent. 

I would have liked to see what Mr Mensa would have done with two fragile QBs he couldn't run into the line 15 times a game. Would have been an interesting failure of a season to see. Although I think Ash had a much better handle on the defensive limitations and wouldn't have been as terrible as PK this year. I question PK's ability to adjust to talent deficiencies at certain positions like LB after what we saw this season. 

The biggest reason Tom was fired when he did, has to do with the loss of Ewer.  If he would have followed up the win vs the dawgs with a solid year, he would still be here. But since he sucked as a coach, he cost himself the job, just like the coach he replaced.

Edited by Gaffords

6 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

The biggest reason Tom was fired when he did, has to do with the loss of Ewer.  If he would have followed up the win vs the dawgs with a solid year, he would still be here. But since he sucked as a coach, he cost himself the job, just like the coach he replaced.

herman was fired because he was an asshole and nobody liked him.  i feel like hes not an awful coach but i dont think he will ever be more than an 8-4 average head coach .

• Hook 'Em 1

21 minutes ago, Gidnik said:

herman was fired because he was an asshole and nobody liked him.  i feel like hes not an awful coach but i dont think he will ever be more than an 8-4 average head coach .

All that also, but Ewer decommitting and going elsewhere was the final straw with a number of big cigars who got it done. But it wasn't like they really had to twist any arms.  He was likely gone after this season either way seeing that neither QB we have would have thrived in his offense and Worthy is here because of Sark.

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Gaffords said:

Herman had to be fired to chase Urban Meyer. If it wasn’t for that, he’s still HC at Texas.

He’d probably be on his way out the door after a 6-7 win season last year.

9 minutes ago, lilMAC25 said:

Herman had to be fired to chase Urban Meyer. If it wasn’t for that, he’s still HC at Texas.

He’d probably be on his way out the door after a 6-7 win season last year.

I would respectfully disagree on two points, we were chasing Urban with Tom still here, this made me happy as I was sure Tom was gone no matter what.

I have a hard time seeing 3 wins with Tom here, no durable QB, and the fruits of his poor evaluations and lack of development coming to full fruition.

Edited by 927 E. 41st
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1