Herschel Walker catch-all thread

Gil Bang

31 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

It does get frustrating how the Republicans can trot out the dumbest and most incompetent and unqualified candidates and then their Democratic opponents take heat for not being just exactly 100% perfect right down to the last detail all of the time. And from their own supporters. 

It’s the curse of intellectual honesty and higher standards, or rather, adherence to the standards you espouse. The alternative is no picnic.

• Hook 'Em 2

I was busy and only caught the end of it. I missed the absurdity of the police badge. From what I saw, Walker was better than expected — not good at all, but relatively coherent. He marginally exceeded my depressingly low expectation.

I wasn’t a fan of the non-answers from Warnock, but he’s been a good senator and good leader. My Mondays are booked up, but I’ll be voting for him Tuesday morning.

The fact that they felt the need to have a no prop rule, much less enforce it, seems sad to me. Maybe it’s SOP for debates, but it still makes me sad. 

9 hours ago, Mole said:

I was busy and only caught the end of it. I missed the absurdity of the police badge. From what I saw, Walker was better than expected — not good at all, but relatively coherent. He marginally exceeded my depressingly low expectation.

I wasn’t a fan of the non-answers from Warnock, but he’s been a good senator and good leader. My Mondays are booked up, but I’ll be voting for him Tuesday morning.

The fact that they felt the need to have a no prop rule, much less enforce it, seems sad to me. Maybe it’s SOP for debates, but it still makes me sad. 

It’s the same principle as “Don’t Whiz on the Electric Fence.” They wouldn’t need a rule about it unless it either was a problem in the past or someone (ahem) had recently been threatening to do it. Far be it from me to ever suggest Officer Dingleberry would ever threaten to do anything, but you know the old saying: tell your therapist you’d like to have a shootout with the police and the sky is the limit. 

I’m already seeing the gop line is that herschel has only claimed to train and support the police and never claimed to be in law enforcement.

not to mention that it’s beyond weird that he’s carrying that badge. Does anyone not believe that he’s pulled the badge out to infer that he’s the police?

I'm a little confused. One of the Herschels has in the past said that he is a police officer? Ok. Then last night he shows a fake badge during a debate? Ok. After apparently being warned to not use props. Was this supposed to be funny? His fans in the audience cheered, as if he had gotten over on Warnock. Which at first made me wonder if it was an actual real badge.

The entire thing is weird.

Reminds me of Elvis and Hamburger James...

A lot of big-money performers think it's sort of fun to have a lot of servants hanging around all the time. There was a guy that ended up working for Elvis, helping me, but he didn't have much of a job. Mainly, he went for stuff like hamburgers. We all called him Hamburger James.

Well, I'm in Elvis's suite one day, and he yells out to me from his bathroom that somebody had been in his kit. He said some things were missing, some money and some pictures. Well, we all ran all over the place, and the only person we couldn't find was Hamburger James.

Elvis was more than mad. He was in a wild rage. And it spread to everybody. See, Elvis also had some pictures in the kit. I didn't look at them. I think they were pictures of Priscilla. Hamburger James took some of them too. So Elvis was hot. Man, was he hot. And everybody's running around looking for Hamburger James. And somebody says, "I'll bet he's at the airport."

We were in Las Vegas at the time. Elvis screams, "Get the car," and we race out of the hotel and pile into a couple of cars. There were six or seven of us, and we're driving like crazy because somebody found out that a plane is supposed to leave for Memphis in a few minutes.

We come screeching up to the airport, and everybody piles out. Several people were wearing guns in shoulder holsters, and they hadn't put their coats on. Elvis is right there with us. Everybody is running to all the different . counters and jumping up and down to look over the heads of the crowd, trying to find Hamburger James. Everybody in the place is freaking out. Women are grabbing their kids and hugging them while all these guys with guns run all over the place. Remember, this was Las Vegas in 1974. Stars like Elvis are protected in places like Las Vegas. Anyway, it all happened pretty fast.

Finally somebody runs up and says he found out the plane for Memphis is leaving the gate, so we all run like mad to get up there. The guys are all pounding on the glass, and Elvis runs up to the girl at the gate desk and starts yelling, "Stop that plane! Stop that plane!" She ignores him for a second or two, and then she starts to get a little hysterical and screams, "I can't, I can't!" Then Elvis pulls out a police badge, one of the bunch that he had been given over the years, and flashes it at her and yells, "I'm a federal officer. I said stop that plane!" Then she sees it's Elvis, and she goes all buttery and starts kind of whimpering something like, "Oh, oh, oh, it's youuuuu. It's youuuu. Can I have your autograph? Ohhhh, Elvis." And he's yelling, "Stop that plane! I'm a federal officer, I tell you, and I want that plane stopped right now!" And she's looking at him sort of funny, and he's looking at her both mad and confused and kind of flattered all at once.

I never did understand why, but the plane stopped and pulled back up to the gate. They opened the door, and Elvis's bodyguards ran down the aisles and there, in the back, was old Hamburger James, all huddled down and hiding. They dragged him right up the aisle, off the plane and out of the airport. He was wailing and crying and trying to get away. Some of the guys are punching him once in a while to try to get him to be quiet. I'm sure he thought they were going to take him out in the desert somewhere and dig him a grave.

We race back to the hotel, and Elvis's people drag Hamburger James into the elevator, up to Elvis's suite and throw him down on the couch. Elvis walks up, and the crowd of people kind of parts. Hamburger James is sobbing like crazy and scared to death. Elvis walks up in front of him. And then leans down and picks up a big, heavy coffee table. He doesn't say anything. He's dead quiet. I'm thinking, oh, he's going to murder him! He's going to smash him in the head with that table. How are we ever going to talk our way out of this?

But Elvis puts the table down to one side. Then he walks up to Hamburger James, and he looks at him real cold and quiet. Then Elvis reaches over while Hamburger James is looking straight at him, scared to death, and slaps him twice. Like in the movies. A slap, and then a backhand. Pow! Then pow! again.

Then the most amazing thing happened. Hamburger James got a funny look on his face and wilted like a baby. He cried and cried. Like his heart was broken. He said he was sorry he stole, and he would give it all back, and he knew that he had done something that he couldn't ever be forgiven for.

Elvis looked at him for a minute. And then he broke down and started crying too. He just sobbed and sobbed. He went down on his knees in front of Hamburger James and said he was sorry. He kept saying to him, "Why didn't you let me know if you needed money? Why didn't you let me know if you wanted to go back to Memphis? I would have given you money. You didn't have to steal from me." They cried and cried like that for a long time, and Elvis kept telling Hamburger James that he didn't have to leave, that he could keep his job and everything. But Hamburger James wanted to go, so Elvis gave him a few weeks' salary and somebody took him back to the airport. Elvis wanted to be a tough guy, but he couldn't, really. He always seemed to care. He seemed to care about people, and his acts of generosity toward complete strangers were something else.

• Hook 'Em 2

Debate Moderator: With more than 1.5 million Georgians uninsured, is it time for the federal government to step in to ensure all Georgians have access to healthcare?

Walker: people should get off government plans and obtain the kind of insurance Warnock has.

Warnock, like all senators, has a tremendous government-subsidized health care package, one that only Senators get. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

Debate Moderator: With more than 1.5 million Georgians uninsured, is it time for the federal government to step in to ensure all Georgians have access to healthcare?

Walker: people should get off government plans and obtain the kind of insurance Warnock has.

Warnock, like all senators, has a tremendous government-subsidized health care package, one that only Senators get. 

good point, Herschel

• Gil Bang changed the title to Herschel Walker catch-all thread