Herschel Walker catch-all thread

Gil Bang

I imagine that Newt and Hannitys of the right wish that it wasn't Hershel running but that was who wanted to run and Trump backed him, so now there can be nothing but full steam ahead. 

I could hear Hannity saying that maybe Herschel still suffers from mental health problems but we need him in the Senate so the GA voters need to show up for him. You can read it in the TexAgs post about Herschel, there is nothing that he could do now or have done previously that would convince any of them to not vote for Herschel or support him.

4 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I imagine that Newt and Hannitys of the right wish that it wasn't Hershel running but that was who wanted to run and Trump backed him, so now there can be nothing but full steam ahead. 

I could hear Hannity saying that maybe Herschel still suffers from mental health problems but we need him in the Senate so the GA voters need to show up for him. You can read it in the TexAgs post about Herschel, there is nothing that he could do now or have done previously that would convince any of them to not vote for Herschel or support him.

I know a few people who have half-heartedly tried to defend them, and I just point out that Congress is not a make-work jobs program for the mentally ill.

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, Pancho said:

There’s more to that Gingrich commentary. They showed a clip on Morning Joe today. He goes on to say Herschel suffered from PTSD (not a side effect of concussions, maybe he meant CTE), and credited him for his relationship to Christ. You know, unlike the REVEREND Raphael Warnock. Gingrich has been so full of shit for so long.

9 hours ago, tx 3 putt said:

lolololololololol

Grab ‘em by the pussy, Stormy Daniels, and other Trump fuckery exercised their mental gymnastics mettle for years.

GQPers are primed and ready for any challenge against their blind faith. No hurdle is too high for them to overcome for cult45.

• Hook 'Em 3

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

There’s more to that Gingrich commentary. They showed a clip on Morning Joe today. He goes on to say Herschel suffered from PTSD (not a side effect of concussions, maybe he meant CTE), and credited him for his relationship to Christ. You know, unlike the REVEREND Raphael Warnock. Gingrich has been so full of shit for so long.

Gingrich has turned into someone very much like Ted Cruz, a member of the intellectual far right (yes, I can concede that there are very intelligent members of the far right), who have no problem casting their intelligence aside in order to speak to the lowest comment denominator of their party, which at the moment is a substantial voting bloc.

I've made peace with the fact that what a Republican does before they decide to run for office simply does not matter. It does for Democrats, hence Al Franken having to step down. But Republican voters simply do not care what your past is as long as you cast the votes they want. The thing I can't make peace with is why good meaning people also fall for this. But the ends justify the means for a lot of people in this country. It doesn't matter that Herschel is a walking hypocrisy. If he votes the way they want, that's all that matters. They will bend over backwards looking for ways to give him an out. They will undermine and contradict their own arguments and points. It simply does not matter. All that matters is winning. Democrats have got to start adopting that strategy. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

6 minutes ago, mdmost said:

I've made peace with the fact that what a Republican does before they decide to run for office simply does not matter. It does for Democrats, hence Al Franken having to step down. But Republican voters simply do not care what your past is as long as you cast the votes they want. The thing I can't make peace with is why good meaning people also fall for this. But the ends justify the means for a lot of people in this country. It doesn't matter that Herschel is a walking hypocrisy. If he votes the way they want, that's all that matters. They will bend over backwards looking for ways to give him an out. They will undermine and contradict their own arguments and points. It simply does not matter. All that matters is winning. Democrats have got to start adopting that strategy. 

Franken's ouster was a Dem mistake. They decided that zero tolerance meant zero tolerance even when non-criminal, immature attempts at humor was at play. Don't get me wrong, I do think Franken hurt the actress/model that he kissed and pretended to grope. 100% wrong but that is far from domestic violence accusations and child neglect from Walker. Also Franken owned up to his mistakes and apologized.

I believe that some Dems have expressed regret for how they didn't stand up (behind the scenes) to the Dems that wanted Franken out.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He’s always been a hypocritical piece of shit. He hasn’t turned at all. He’s an original architect of the partisan political divide CREATED BY THE GOP by choosing party over country. He railed against Clinton’s marital infidelity while cheating on his first wife while she was sick with cancer. He got ejected from Congress for ethics violations. He is who he’s always been.

100% correct.  + rep

2 hours ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

not sure I buy that Herschel wanted to run.  This is a perfect example of radical racist republicans using a Black person as a pawn.  They needed a Black to run for a few reasons—Warnock is popular and would/will win again which means they needed to take Black votes away from him. Herschel was popular because of football and trump.  Radical racist republicans could also go forward with the message of “see, how can we be racist if we’re letting Herschel run!?!?!”

They know deep inside that Herschel has no business near the US Senate when he can’t even string together a coherent sentence.  Add in the fact that he’s paid for an abortion and racist republicans are like “oh well” and voting for him any way, it further lets you know the hypocrisy of those people has no bounds. 

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, Pancho said:

not sure I buy that Herschel wanted to run.  This is a perfect example of radical racist republicans using a Black person as a pawn.  They needed a Black to run for a few reasons—Warnock is popular and would/will win again which means they needed to take Black votes away from him. Herschel was popular because of football and trump.  Radical racist republicans could also go forward with the message of “see, how can we be racist if we’re letting Herschel run!?!?!”

They know deep inside that Herschel has no business near the US Senate when he can’t even string together a coherent sentence.  Add in the fact that he’s paid for an abortion and racist republicans are like “oh well” and voting for him any way, it further lets you know the hypocrisy of those people has no bounds. 

this was 100% Trump and his loony base fucking up what should have been a pretty easy flip. 

• Hook 'Em 1

49 minutes ago, Pancho said:

I think the racism is even deeper and more insidious than that. Walker fits their idea of what a black man is- a big dumb stud who was good at sports. Bonus- he talks in a back country, aw shucks, I'm just a big dumb negro way. The blatant lies about being valedictorian, hospital admin, whatever it is today, is just country bragging and joshing, not lying.

In their mind, Walker the human stereotype, justifies their racism.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

so i wasn't paying super close attention to this shit aside from some of the more comedic aspects, and noticing that herschel is broken. like, completely broken. it's not really all that funny any longer, and it's one hell of a fucking indictment on the party that wants to make mass shootings about mental health rather than gun regulation. 

this man is not well. 

and yet...

what the fuck, republicans?

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 4
  • Rage+1 1

I'm pretty sure I heard Herschel say earlier that he doesn't know this woman, never paid for an abortion for her, and that she is not the mother of one of his kids. I feel like this could be proven one way or the other in the next oh 20 minutes or so. 

3 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Why would they?  The choice has been reframed to either a guy that wants to allow every woman to have abortions vs a guy that wants nobody to have them…unless it’s him or someone he knows that has a good reason but not really but really we just don’t talk about it. 

33 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Why would they?  The choice has been reframed to either a guy that wants to allow every woman to have abortions vs a guy that wants nobody to have them…unless it’s him or someone he knows that has a good reason but not really but really we just don’t talk about it. 

or we can talk about it because he's black and that baby was gonna be black, so we ain't gonna miss it anyways. besides, we expect that kind of behavior out of the blacks, even the house...erm, good....erm, republican ones. long as he set the table, erm....goes in the back door...erm...votes the way we tell him, he's a good guy in our book!

• Hook 'Em 1

https://www.thedailybeast.com/herschel-walker-has-confirmed-he-had-a-kid-with-his-accuser?ref=home

GOP Senate candidate Herschel Walker’s attempt to answer reporter questions Thursday about whether he paid for an ex-girlfriend’s abortion crashed and burned, as he implied in rambling responses that he has not confirmed that the ex-girlfriend was the mother of one of his children.

The problem with that explanation? Walker has, in fact, confirmed that this woman is the mother of one of his kids. He did so to The Daily Beast in June, when we first broke the story about an undisclosed child.

Asked whether he’d reached out to any of the mothers of his children, Walker replied, “Why do I need to?”

The reporter explained that The Daily Beast had reported that the woman who says he paid for her to abort their child was also the mother of one of his children. Walker then implied that the woman would have to be the mother of a child he had not yet acknowledged.

“Because of the article I had more kids. That’s why I haven’t reached out to anyone, because I said no. And that’s what I mean when I said no, I said it’s not correct, that’s a lie. And that’s what I mean, when that’s a lie,” Walker said.

But that explanation doesn't make sense. Months ago, Walker himself publicly confirmed to The Daily Beast that this woman is the mother of one of his children. The Daily Beast independently confirmed the claim with a family court clerk and a court order declaring Walker the father, citing a DNA test.

Walker’s reply was possibly accurate in one dimension, however. He still has not contacted the woman after the story first broke.

Walker had previously tried to deny The Daily Beast’s reports on the abortion. “There’s no truth to this or any other Daily Beast report," he said.

Spoiler

But that’s a lie by his own admission. Walker has confirmed not just one Daily Beast report, but two. The outspoken critic of absentee fathers in the Black community has in all acknowledged that he has fathered four children by four different women.

His adult son, Christian Walker, has claimed that his father was not present in any of their lives, and the mother who also aborted one of his children told The Daily Beast on Wednesday that he wasn’t around for their son.

“He didn’t accept responsibility for the kid we did have together, and now he isn’t accepting responsibility for the one that we didn’t have,” she said. “That says so much about how he views the role of women in childbirth, versus his own. And now he wants to take that choice away from other women and couples entirely.”

After The Daily Beast reported earlier this week that the football legend urged a woman in 2009 to abort her child and later reimbursed her for the procedure, the Georgia Senate hopeful vehemently denied the story as a “flat-out lie” and claimed he had no idea who the anonymous woman was.

The Daily Beast followed up by reporting that not only had he paid for the woman’s abortion but that he had fathered another child with her. The woman, meanwhile, said that Walker’s attempts to spin the report as an attack from desperate Democrats sounded ridiculous and that it didn’t really shock her.

Meanwhile, hours after telling conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt that there was “nothing to be ashamed of” for paying for an abortion despite being extremely anti-abortion now (all while still denying the story), he held an election event in Georgia.

After speaking for a short time and receiving some mild applause from gathered voters, Walker decided to hold a short gaggle with reporters on the scene. And it was an absolute trainwreck as his absurd explanations and denials were all over the place.

Walker was also asked about his comments to Hewitt and how he claimed that he shouldn’t be ashamed for personally paying for an abortion, only for the ex-running back to insist that he was “talking about something totally different” and that he meant his ex-wife had nothing to do with what that woman said.

“I said this here, the abortion thing is false,” he continued. “It's a lie, and that's why I said that anything to happened to my ex-wife or what Christian was talking about, I don't know. but as i said, there's nothing to be ashamed of.”

Eventually, a reporter pressed Walker on his reaction to the mother of his kids and son saying that he’s lying and that they no longer trusted him.

“Just like what I said, the Democrats are desperate for this seat and so’s this reporter,” he bellowed. “They’re very desperate for this seat and I love my family and I always love my family. I'm going to win this race!”Walker would go on and dismiss some of the criticism he’s received from Georgia Republicans in recent days before exclaiming that “the Georgia people need a winner” before walking out of the presser.

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Then there’s this:

After President Bill Clinton’s infidelity, the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention passed the “Resolution on Moral Character of Public Officials” declaring that a person’s “moral character matters” and that Americans should not vote for candidates who do not “demonstrate consistent honesty, moral purity, and the highest character.”

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

43 minutes ago, Satchel said:

Then there’s this:

After President Bill Clinton’s infidelity, the 1998 Southern Baptist Convention passed the “Resolution on Moral Character of Public Officials” declaring that a person’s “moral character matters” and that Americans should not vote for Democratic candidates who do not “demonstrate consistent honesty, moral purity, and the highest character.”

The added word in bold is implied, of course.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

I think the racism is even deeper and more insidious than that. Walker fits their idea of what a black man is- a big dumb stud who was good at sports. Bonus- he talks in a back country, aw shucks, I'm just a big dumb negro way. The blatant lies about being valedictorian, hospital admin, whatever it is today, is just country bragging and joshing, not lying.

In their mind, Walker the human stereotype, justifies their racism.

He's literally a one-man modern-day minstrel show.

Where have these Baptists gone? Let’s hear from Lindsay Graham

You don’t even have to be convicted of a crime to lose your job as president in this constitutional republic if this body determines your conduct as a public official is clearly out of bounds in your role” and, “Impeachment is about cleansing the office. Impeachment is about restoring honor and integrity to the office.” Back then, Republicans believed that immoral behavior by the president was a standard for impeachment. Today, with Trump as their savior, adjustments in moral convictions have become necessary.

Edited by Satchel

4 hours ago, High Plains Drifter said:

@surlydocs is the rocking back and forth a CTE thing?

Not a doc, but I don't think it's from CTE.  More along the lines of "I'm nervous as fuck here in front of these reporters, and I can't screw up so I have to think carefully before I answer, and can't this hurry up and end" kind of thing.

• Gil Bang changed the title to Herschel Walker catch-all thread