John Mueller has died

Hornius Emeritus

On 12/17/2021 at 4:53 PM, Judge Roybeanbag said:

A favorite pic from his old place, my kid photobombing Bourdain.  Hard to believe that was 10 years ago.  

spacer.png

Damn.  John and Anthony, two legends gone way before their time.

Requiescant in pace.

Edited by Dutch

20 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

It's nice that a controversial figure like him can be remembered fondly and his personality "quirks" seemingly forgiven.

The man suffered from a disease that in all likelihood killed him.  It also almost certainly accounted for his undesirable traits and actions.  He didn't choose to be an alcoholic and if given a choice, probably would have chosen to avoid that shit show.  He was, apparently, unwilling to seek or accept help until it was too late.

RIP

When someone passes, it's time to reflect on the positives about the person. Most of us have plenty about us that people could talk shit about after we pass. We are all deeply flawed in some manner. 

If he fucked you out of money, I understand, but for a lot of of us, it's a time to reflect on the good.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

When someone passes, it's time to reflect on the positives about the person.

All of us have plenty about us that people will talk shit about after we pass. We are all deeply flawed in some manner. 

If he fucked you out of money, I understand, but for a lot of of us, it's a time to reflect on the good.

If not, you're on the wrong BBS.

Sent from my SM-A326U1 using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Deej said:

When someone passes, it's time to reflect on the positives about the person. Most of us have plenty about us that people could talk shit about after we pass. We are all deeply flawed in some manner. 

Mofos are saltier than the brisket crust. 

48 minutes ago, AUinHsv said:

John posted it on the other forum - his reply

Recipe - you pay me the money and I give you the squash.....

Try looking up the San Antonio squash recipe that Threadgill's used to serve.  I've never had JM's, but Threadgill's was pretty good.  Use their recipe on the smoker and I bet it's pretty close.

• Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Jerry Callo said:

Pretty sure that Champ has it and he used to serve it at his restaurants - giving credit to JM.

He does have it.  I had it a few years ago at the Galveston place.  It's damned good.

/my thanks to whichever of you Surlys ended up ultimately paying for that meal even though I paid for it that day.  As they say in my current region, I hate that for ya.

JM-Cheesy-Squash.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

A flawed guy like all of us. I went to franklin's 5 years or so ago with a buddy and it was sold out by 10. So we went to John's place nearby and he came up to us and gave us a couple lone stars while we waited. When we got to the window he was super friendly and cool. Got the short rib and it was the pepperiest thing I ever ate in my life and absolutely delicious. It sticks out as one my favorite life memories.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Another true Texas icon gone. He was a true craftsman who took his grandfathers legacy and took the product to another level. I only had his brisket a couple of times and it was as good as any I’ve had. The beef rib might have been the best fucking piece of meat I ever ate. I had heard he was at Hutchins and planned to go over there.

The only thing I’ll say about his troubles is I hope he is now at peace, and hope he’s handing my old man one of this rib and a cold beer. God bless you John. The eyes of Texas shed a tear for you.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

We're having beef ribs for dinner and I took a crack at cheesy squash.  I only had it once.  So I don't know if I'd be able to pick out how close this is, if it's close at all.  But it looks pretty good and smells really good.  I'll let you all know if it's worth a shit generally.

Cheesy-Squash.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 2

6 hours ago, ROFL BOX said:

It's been more than a few days - I assume if there was a funeral, viewing or memorial, it already happened with no publicity as to when / where?

Here's his obituary:

John Mueller, 52, passed away after a long illness Thursday, December 16, at his home in Frisco, Texas.

John was born December 19,1968 in Taylor, TX, into the barbecue dynasty of the late Bobby and Trish Mueller and loving grandparents Louie and Leonor Mueller and Bernice and Luther Johnson

John graduated from Taylor High School and attended Texas Tech University before committing to his barbecue roots and passion. During the next 30 years, John would create a legendary trail of hot and fast meat that would take him all over Texas and into the record books as establishing the Austin barbecue scene. The twisting, colorful chronicles of his culinary career are long, well documented, and celebrated in Texas Monthly, Austin 360|Austin American Statesman and more. His perpetual goal and driving energy was his determination to be the best. By many accounts, he succeeded.

"Don't even try to tell me anybody does that s--- better," Anthony Bourdain said of John’s beef ribs.

While pits have been part of John’s life since he was a child, he was much more. In his youth, he was a formable athlete and played football, basketball and track throughout school. He also was known for some serious tackling in backyard pickup games. In high school, he coached champion softball teams and enjoyed staying active in many club activities. His infamous mercurial, jovial, and equally generous/arrogant character was always present.

John loved and is survived by sons Johnson Mueller and his wife, Marisol; Robert Mueller and his wife, Lilli; Andrew Mueller; and granddaughters, Amelia Rose and Sienna Lenore Mueller. His spirit and pit prowess will carry on with his sister and sister-in-law, LeAnn Mueller and Alison Clem of Austin.

Rest easy, dark prince of barbecue.

A celebration of life will be held January 30, 2022 in Georgetown, Texas. Additional details to come.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, NoName said:

i thought they very clearly never made up...

Well, John most likely didn't write the obit.  Unless he left instructions to leave Wayne out, it seems like a bitch move on the part of whoever did write it, unless Wayne himself said to leave him out.

We had a minor family skirmish with one of my mom's sisters when their dad died.  It was ugly and completely unforeseen.  Shit happens, though.  I wish it hadn't.

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, John most likely didn't write the obit.  Unless he left instructions to leave Wayne out, it seems like a bitch move on the part of whoever did write it, unless Wayne himself said to leave him out.

We had a minor family skirmish with one of my mom's sisters when their dad died.  It was ugly and completely unforeseen.  Shit happens, though.  I wish it hadn't.

"Beloved Aunt"

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Well being I have an older brother and knowing the “dark prince “ thing, I’d almost bet Wayne wrote that.   Or at least the optimistic side of me thinks so.  

The whole his legacy will be carried on at LaBBQ with no reference to Wayne or LMBBQ seemed a little weird, but I figured that was the awkwardness due to history.

Yeah, I should refrain from making assumptions.  Things can get weird when a family member dies.

I eulogized both my dad and mom.  Both were more than happy to give anyone shit and tell a mildly inappropriate joke at any time.  Both were connected to the Cardinals at birth through close family connections.  Second time around, when Mom passed, I was stunned to find that almost everyone who attended the service had agreed to wear Cardinals jerseys.  Let me tell you, that takes the heat off a eulogy when you look out and see a couple hundred family friends in Cardinal red.  

Weird?  Yup.  Greatness?  Yup.  I'll just choose to think of the "dark prince of barbecue" comment in the same way.

• Hook 'Em 1

23 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, I should refrain from making assumptions.  Things can get weird when a family member dies.

I eulogized both my dad and mom.  Both were more than happy to give anyone shit and tell a mildly inappropriate joke at any time.  Both were connected to the Cardinals at birth through close family connections.  Second time around, when Mom passed, I was stunned to find that almost everyone who attended the service had agreed to wear Cardinals jerseys.  Let me tell you, that takes the heat off a eulogy when you look out and see a couple hundred family friends in Cardinal red.  

Weird?  Yup.  Greatness?  Yup.  I'll just choose to think of the "dark prince of barbecue" comment in the same way.

Just to clarify, the “dark prince” as was mentioned before I think John took as a compliment albeit a dart.  He knew what he was and wasn’t, I reckon that’s why his life was short.  I was simply saying that any differences he had with his family I would like to think were overblown on the public side and understood on the family side.  

• Like 1

Just now, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Just to clarify, the “dark prince” as was mentioned before I think John took as a compliment albeit a dart.  He knew what he was and wasn’t, I reckon that’s why his life was short.  I was simply saying that any differences he had with his family I would like to think were overblown on the public side and understood on the family side.  

Understood, I was referring more to the omission of Wayne in the obit.

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Understood, I was referring more to the omission of Wayne in the obit.

Sure, I just quoted you because you were handy.  😅  I’ll say one other thing, with not much point.  I wouldn’t say I was a good friend of John’s but I talked to him a lot when he had his place on 1st, and had the (mis)fortune of him calling me frequently late when he was bummed out.  I and a lot of us have the luxury of being private people.  When I go on a bender and am hungover, or if I’m just ungraciously pissed at my lot in life, I can take a day off, call in sick or whatever.  Exorcise my demons in private.  The worst case is I can work at home and smooth it over with my boss, generally no harm done.  

Being public-facing, he couldn’t do that.  He couldn’t call in sick or take a day off without a shitshow.  He sort of chose that for himself, but then again maybe he didn’t.  He had a real love hate relationship with his work and life.  Made me appreciate the fact that I have it pretty easy as a regular Joe.  

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

Sure, I just quoted you because you were handy.  😅  I’ll say one other thing, with not much point.  I wouldn’t say I was a good friend of John’s but I talked to him a lot when he had his place on 1st, and had the (mis)fortune of him calling me frequently late when he was bummed out.  I and a lot of us have the luxury of being private people.  When I go on a bender and am hungover, or if I’m just ungraciously pissed at my lot in life, I can take a day off, call in sick or whatever.  Exorcise my demons in private.  The worst case is I can work at home and smooth it over with my boss, generally no harm done.  

Being public-facing, he couldn’t do that.  He couldn’t call in sick or take a day off without a shitshow.  He sort of chose that for himself, but then again maybe he didn’t.  He had a real love hate relationship with his work and life.  Made me appreciate the fact that I have it pretty easy as a regular Joe.  

These comments of empathy and understanding are not the words of a hangin' judge. Ergo, username not checking out.

1 hour ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

I'll just say this -- I knew John, not well, but well enough.  I appreciate hearing your version.  It adds some color.

I've had the good fortune to know a lot of creative "geniuses" in my life, mostly musical, but John makes the list.  They're not always easy to deal with.  That said, they often thrill in their efforts.  RIP, John.

On 12/20/2021 at 11:02 PM, CooterBrown said:

It was his grandmother’s recipe so maybe one of the siblings will now add it to the menu or maybe share it.

Read an interview where he said the recipe came from his time at K-Bob’s out in Lubbock. My mom made a squash dish very similar to his, hers had some mushrooms though.

On 12/30/2021 at 1:19 PM, ROFL BOX said:

I wonder who is catering.

Probably his sister. She catered the memorial gathering for their mom Trish last July in Taylor.

(John standing in background of 3rd photo)

A550F528-E458-4E91-A548-94484059D3CA.jpeg

3284E176-A123-4093-BE7D-5B809822F50E.jpeg

074BEB1C-3F8D-48FE-AD06-5288F7942DBC.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

Not really about John but about Bobby and Trish. I don't know whether I should tell it but it's kind of funny and I hope Bobby forgives me, wherever he might be.

I used to go to Louis Mueller's about once or twice a month as I'd always go past it on my way from East Austin to my stomping grounds around Temple.  I got to know Bobby pretty well.  I took this photo of Trish sitting at one of the tables there in 2007.  The previous year, Louis Mueller's had won the James Beard award for regional cooking as given out by the New York Times. They apparently had a big soiree up there in New York City and Bobby and Trish were invited.  I guess it was kind of formal and they dressed up. Anyway, I was taking photos this day and talking to Bobby and congratulating him on getting the award. He was quite proud, naturally, and was telling me what a grand affair it was. Then he said "And you shoulda got a load of those New Yorkers when they saw Trish in her evening gown!"  She turned around, gave him a stare that would melt Antarctica and said "SHUT UP!"    She was actually always very nice to me but the vision of Trish in a formal evening gown has stayed with me to this day.   Sadly, that was one of the last times I saw Bobby. He died not long afterward.  I don't think he was even sick. He just up and died from what I recall.

Louis Muellers 14.jp.jpg

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
mueller.thumb.png.bba028f52631bf3b2963267f9145c057.png
I came here to mention this.

Stopped in to L.A. today for some eats; we are doing a project not too far away from L.A.Q. (this job is actually on the Eastern end of the same block that JMMC was located on).

Chatted briefly with Ali & she told me abt. this Sunday.

There are black wreaths hanging in the front windows... those will come down later Sunday.

2401 East Cesar Chavez

Corner of E.C.C. & Clara

Any of y'all assholes going?

On 1/27/2022 at 5:41 PM, ROFL BOX said:

I came here to mention this.

Stopped in to L.A. today for some eats; we are doing a project not too far away from L.A.Q. (this job is actually on the Eastern end of the same block that JMMC was located on).

Chatted briefly with Ali & she told me abt. thus Sunday.

There are black emoji835.png wreaths hanging in the front windows... those will come down later Sunday.

2401 East Cesar Chavez

Corner of E.C.C. & Clara

Any of y'all assholes going?

I’ll roll with you I guess for old times sake, see ya Sunday. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1