ESPN and The Mouse vs. YouTube TV

DeadArmadillo

Woke up a little early so I turned on something guaranteed to put be back to sleep:  Sportscenter.  But there is no more ESPN.  No local ABC affiliate.  No anything associated with Mickey and his gang from Disney

Fuck you rich corporations and greed.  I like capitalism, but I like college football a little more

And yes, I know about ESPN+ already have it so I can still watch most everything.  But it still pisses me off

• Hook 'Em 2

Yeah above post on cord cutters thread explains all about YTTV  losing ESPN and local ABC channels due to contract issues.

Lots of folks may just move to Hulu to get ESPN back.  Guess who owns ESPN and Hulu -- "The Mouse"

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Hook 'Em 1

35 minutes ago, Duane Moore said:

Eh. I can wait it out a while. They’ll work it out eventually. If they haven’t got an agreement by the playoffs I’ll get the standalone ESPN+

Can you get access to the bowl games from ESPN+? I was under the impression that the content on ESPN cable and ESPN+ were kept separate. 

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, trythisathome said:

Can you get access to the bowl games from ESPN+? I was under the impression that the content on ESPN cable and ESPN+ were kept separate. 

I don't think you can.  I've got ESPN+ through Hulu.  I just tried to click on ESPN (Sportscenter), and was prompted for my tv provider.  This has always been the case in the past and is also why LHN isn't available.  If a game is on any of the major ESPN channels (not +), then I think we're SOL.

37 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

We need to sticky a giant-ass announcement to the top of every board on this site: ESPN+ does not show any of the games that come on the regular ESPN stations.

The shitty thing is that the games will show up in the app.  But it will then ask you to log in with your cable provider 

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, DeadArmadillo said:

I believe so.

If you can’t, I’ll let everyone on this thread know with an angry profanity filled barely coherent drunken post

You can't, ESPN+ is a standalone app with its own content. I got it to watch some of the baseball and ufc and UTSA football they weren't showing on the main channels 

58 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Pro tip: if you have parents who have the “too olds to cut the cord” then use their account number to access DTV. I have YTTV but watching ESPN right now on the iPad. (Western KY beating AP state right now)

This is exactly how I've watched Longhorn Network for ... literally years.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, TankedBevo said:

I can never get the DTV login to work for the espn app. I put the email and password in which works but as soon as I start to stream it says user not authorized 

I used to have that problem when we had ATT. I’m amazed how glitchy the ESPN app constantly is. 

I think YouTubeTV made a huge mistake here.  I canceled and I am sure a non trivial % of their customer base did or will within a few days.  Bowl season was maybe the absolute worst time they could have allowed this to happen.  I've been sick of their bullshit for a while, we signed up at $35/month 4 years ago and the price has doubled since then and the only thing that changed was gaining a bunch of shit channels and losing Fox Sports Southwest.  I canceled once to go to PS Vue and then they killed that off so I had to come back.  Looked around at the time and there was nothing better for the same money.  I am hoping now there is.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Hozz said:

I think YouTubeTV made a huge mistake here.  I canceled and I am sure a non trivial % of their customer base did or will within a few days.  Bowl season was maybe the absolute worst time they could have allowed this to happen.  I've been sick of their bullshit for a while, we signed up at $35/month 4 years ago and the price has doubled since then and the only thing that changed was gaining a bunch of shit channels and losing Fox Sports Southwest.  I canceled once to go to PS Vue and then they killed that off so I had to come back.  Looked around at the time and there was nothing better for the same money.  I am hoping now there is.

Somebody needs to create a sports only streaming package. All the sports channels, none of the other bullshit I dont watch. I was already getting pissed off with the YTTV price increases, but hadnt quit yet. This will do it. Its laughable that the fucking clowns at YTTV think they have a viable platform without ESPN. They might as well shut down. 

Probably will just go back to illegal streams to a chromecast until i figure out which of the remaining shitty platforms is next. I'm watching a WKU/App St stream now and its flawless.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Yeah above post on cord cutters thread explains all about YTTV  losing ESPN and local ABC channels due to contract issues.

Lots of folks may just move to Hulu to get ESPN back.  Guess who owns ESPN and Hulu -- "The Mouse"

Yeah, fuck the Mouse and fuck moving to Hulu. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I scouted some of the alternatives:

Direct TV Stream.  Closest thing to cable over the internet, lots of channels but more expensive than pretty much every other choice.

Sling TV.  Relatively cheap, no local channels though, deal breaker for me.

Hulu Live.  Decent.  50 hours only of DVR seems pretty shitty coming from YouTubeTVs unlimited.

FuboTV.  Lots of channels, sports centric.  4K content options with no upcharge.  250 hours DVR upgradeable to 1000 for a fee.

I am going to go with one of the last two.

2 hours ago, Surly Bevo said:

True, on the other side of the equation Alphabet, owning the library of the world, could make things a lot harder on Disney if they wanted to.

It might take about 50 years for that plan to take effect.  Anyone over 10 years old knows to type disney.com or espn.com to figure this out.  I might try the free 30 days HULU sub.

I hope this gets worked out, but nothing will make me go back to the trash that is HuluLive. I’m now watching the ABC app and the really shitty Jackson State/SC State bowl game. I didn’t have to log into any “cable provider” last night to view some content, but it made do so to attempt to watch this game. Like others, I use a family member’s account. 

(I was just looking up some Texas HS scores and an offer for DirecTV Stream popped up, with the Bally option… $85 fucking dollars! 🤣 For a DTV product that has historically been the absolute worst platform? Damn, those fellas are hilarious.)

Edited by Vito Andolini

47 minutes ago, Hozz said:

Direct TV Stream.  Closest thing to cable over the internet, lots of channels but more expensive than pretty much every other choice.

Hulu Live.  Decent.  50 hours only of DVR seems pretty shitty coming from YouTubeTVs unlimited.

FuboTV.  Lots of channels, sports centric.  4K content options with no upcharge.  250 hours DVR upgradeable to 1000 for a fee.

Do any of these have LHN?

I download the dofu live streaming app. You can find just about any televised football, baseball,  basketball games on there.  You have deal with one ad in the beginning but then will provide a number of different streams for the games. 

You unfortunately won't find the state title games on there.  

Screenshot_20211218-130555.thumb.jpg.ded0ef2b47115b09c76f71a4c967c298.jpg

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, Vito Andolini said:

I hope this gets worked out, but nothing will make me go back to the trash that is HuluLive.

What did you not like about HuluLive?  I have not tried it but the regular Hulu seems pretty solid in my very limited experience watching like 2 series on there.

1 hour ago, Blotto said:

Somebody needs to create a sports only streaming package. All the sports channels, none of the other bullshit I dont watch. I was already getting pissed off with the YTTV price increases, but hadnt quit yet. This will do it. Its laughable that the fucking clowns at YTTV think they have a viable platform without ESPN. They might as well shut down. 

Probably will just go back to illegal streams to a chromecast until i figure out which of the remaining shitty platforms is next. I'm watching a WKU/App St stream now and its flawless.

They should, but I think that would quickly expose what’s been true for quite some time. The sports channels being bundled with the rest is the only thing keeping the majority of these non-sports cable networks alive.

Hozz my man, it seems from a previous post you’re coming from YTTV. You know how the stuff you record plays back like an old school DVR, and you can FF thru commercials? HuluLive says, “Fuck that.” It forces commercial breaks into everything you play back.. even when it didn’t originally have a commercial break there. I have literally had a football game stop mid play and a forced 2:00 break interrupts the action. Sometimes it would not allow me to “rewind” to the beginning of the game. And the limited space sucks, too. 

Yes, it absolutely sucks GoogleYouTube is in this dick measuring contest at the moment, but it’s a big nope for me to ever consider HuluLive as an option. I’m working around the conflict with family cable logins for the ABC and ESPN apps. 

Good luck!

• Hook 'Em 3

1 hour ago, Hozz said:

Fubo is fucking awful and borderline criminal syndicate

I have HuluLive and ESPN+ and only issue I have is when spectrum fucks up and internet goes out.

Love the Hulu UI. Don’t DVR shit as anything I want is on demand after the fact.

Only negative is making sure I log in once a month while at home so I can watch on my phone when I travel.