It Was Fun While It Lasted: New Cars to Be Drunk Proof

Doc Reeves

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

Well... that might be right but that's a different matter entirely. I'm not saying Canada does or has ever done it right when it comes to anything. Just saying I bet they have less drunk driving accidents with more punitive sentencing. i.e. if you want to reduce those incidents in the US maybe try something like that instead of having machines start enforcing the law.

(Think about how bullshit red light cameras are and how many issues they've caused)

Oh I agree, I was just curious if you or anyone else knew the answer.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that stricter punishments would even do much good, especially given the very nature of the crime of drunk driving. Most people would choose not to drive drunk except that they are already drunk, and when you're drunk you make stupid fucking decisions. The penalties are already pretty fucking severe, so I'm not sure that making them stricter would work. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

No misdemeanors of any kind? Jfc!

Thanks for the answer. Can't rep you or I would

Edited by 4doorsMoreWhores
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, 4doorsMoreWhores said:

Oh I agree, I was just curious if you or anyone else knew the answer.

Unfortunately I'm not sure that stricter punishments would even do much good, especially given the very nature of the crime of drunk driving. Most people would choose not to drive drunk except that they are already drunk, and when you're drunk you make stupid fucking decisions. The penalties are already pretty fucking severe, so I'm not sure that making them stricter would work. 

I agree to an extent. Drunk driving isn't always an in the moment decision, however. Sometimes it's premeditated (actually I'd guess most of the time it is). You drive your car to the bar knowing that you will be driving home over the legal limit. If you are weighing more severe consequences then maybe you leave your car at home. 

The current ignition interlock devices have to be serviced and calibrated pretty often, and those services are not free.

I just can't wait for the insurance companies to pas all of the savings back to policyholders as a result of the reduced claim payouts.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 5
  • Drool 1

1 hour ago, Macklemore said:

Think about what a career killer it would be to have a DUI conviction with the background checks you have to go through. Are you willing to have millions of talented people shut out of good jobs - that’s what happens in a professional setting if you have a record.

This is a bit hyperbolic. Source, about a dozen people I’ve worked with who’ve had DWIs before, and during working years.  Getting one while on the job, yeah you’re toast.  Getting one in college isn’t keeping anyone from getting a job that doesn’t require you to drive for the company.  Hell, one of the people in my household is background checked about a dozen different ways yearly due to her work and her indiscretion one night in college has never caused an issue.  

14 minutes ago, washparkhorn said:

She is a beauty AB. If I had that in high school, that bonnet would have been polished by Calvin Klein jeans. 

Did that with some bobbysoxers during my college days in my first MG that looked just like this one...

151D59E0-DD92-4D1A-8432-38E99C2241DF.jpeg

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

This is a bit hyperbolic. Source, about a dozen people I’ve worked with who’ve had DWIs before, and during working years.  Getting one while on the job, yeah you’re toast.  Getting one in college isn’t keeping anyone from getting a job that doesn’t require you to drive for the company.  Hell, one of the people in my household is background checked about a dozen different ways yearly due to her work and her indiscretion one night in college has never caused an issue.  

Getting a professional license, like law or medicine, can be held up by a DUI

3 minutes ago, Macklemore said:

Yes, having an addiction to alcohol or drugs can be an issue with a medical license.  But it happens, and people pay thru the ass and often work thru it.  There are instances it really complicates things. It’s not the end of the world for most, though serious. In that case, you’d think they’d be for the tech.  We had the blow tech in our fleet, the hands figured out how to disable them with ease.  The cameras would pose an issue, though. 

I’m a licensed attorney with a DWI conviction and a first degree felony deferred adjudication on it record.
Got licensed with no probationary period (brief hearing required). Now I’m actually a prosecutor.

DWI is widely considered a crime often committed by “people that aren’t generally criminals”.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I’m a licensed attorney with a DWI conviction and a first degree felony deferred adjudication on it record.
Got licensed with no probationary period (brief hearing required). Now I’m actually a prosecutor.

DWI is widely considered a crime often committed by “people that aren’t generally criminals”.

Was the felony from the dwi or something else?

• Hook 'Em 1

38 minutes ago, fattyflattie said:

We had the blow tech in our fleet, the hands figured out how to disable them with ease.  The cameras would pose an issue, though. 

Spent some time in a vendors shop in Lafayette on one of the lead hands had a blow device on his truck from a dui.  Said his kids fought over who got to blow into it after he’d drink a few beers at dinner at the restaurant.  I’m sure just about any tech put on a car with have a defeat solution to it pretty quick.

2 minutes ago, davidg said:

Spent some time in a vendors shop in Lafayette on one of the lead hands had a blow device on his truck from a dui.  Said his kids fought over who got to blow into it after he’d drink a few beers at dinner at the restaurant.  I’m sure just about any tech put on a car with have a defeat solution to it pretty quick.

That's why they started putting the cameras in with the interlocks, to stop people from doing this

• Hook 'Em 2

35 minutes ago, davidg said:

Yep. That’s why I think the only viable one would be camera. Also, ours like randomly go off and you’d either have to pull over and blow, or passenger would just take care of it. 

alcohol related driving deaths dropped by more than half while miles driven has almost tripled? Comparing 1980 to now. 

people shouldn’t drink and drive but additional laws and restrictions are about financially punishing the drunk driver and their families. 

regardless there will not be any automatic car device (active or passive) that will be installed. Congress can add some feel-good laws today but when it gets close to the required date, it will get pushed back and back.  Or “self driving” capabilities will have been added that can turn off the car of the driver starts driving poorly.

7 hours ago, Bullneck said:

What is that, a '73?  Before they went to the full rubber bumpers?

It is a 1974. 
‘74 was the last chrome bumper year, and the only year that had the blocky black rubber bumper guards as shown on mine. Some owners replaced those ugly rubber blocks with factory chrome guards. 
I did not like the rubber guards, but wanted to keep the car completely stock.

The family friend I bought it from in 1990 had ordered it to take delivery in London so he could drive it around Europe for his month long vacation. I still have one of the limey license plates somewhere.

1975 was when MG went with the full rubber bumpers front & rear and the integrated “grill”.

4785527E-7781-4894-8054-4EB2D3535272.jpeg

Edited by Armybrat
  • Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, TwiceHorn said:

Also, demonstrating the lack of deterrence of draconian punishment, Canada is second in the world in alcohol-related road fatalities, despite a low population density.

https://www.statista.com/chart/5504/the-worst-countries-in-the-world-for-drunk-driving/

What the fuck else is there to do in Canada

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Ag with kids said:

Getting one can cause you to lose a security clearance or prevent you from getting one.  It's not an absolute but...you'd have walk on eggshells for awhile.

Buddy I shoot with had a friend that was in an SMU.  Rumors were they had a zero tolerance policy on this.  All that hard work, etc to make selection could and would be taken from you in an instant if you pulled that shit.  

If we are going to talk about safety and shit, let's talk about all of those fucking "HIT A WORKER IN A CONSTRUCTION ZONE AND GET A $10,000 FINE" bullshit, which I saw in two different states last week.  

$10,000 fine for hitting a worker when they aren't paying attention to passing traffic? It's like they are trying to make Pokemon Go even more expensive than it already is.

10 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

If we are going to talk about safety and shit, let's talk about all of those fucking "HIT A WORKER IN A CONSTRUCTION ZONE AND GET A $10,000 FINE" bullshit, which I saw in two different states last week.  

$10,000 fine for hitting a worker when they aren't paying attention to passing traffic? It's like they are trying to make Pokemon Go even more expensive than it already is.

How much of that $10K does the construction worker get?

Narrator: He gets none.

Getting one can cause you to lose a security clearance or prevent you from getting one.  It's not an absolute but...you'd have walk on eggshells for awhile.

I used to have clients that could not have even a Class C “ticket” for a disorderly conducts w/losing that clearance. They don’t fuck around.

6 hours ago, scottsins said:

I used to have clients that could not have even a Class C “ticket” for a disorderly conducts w/losing that clearance. They don’t fuck around.

Yep.

As I told people...you might fuck up and lose a JOB.  But, if I do that same fuck up, I lose a CAREER.

Made it more more important to me with that distinction.

Edited by Ag with kids
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 12/31/2021 at 11:06 AM, closetohumping said:

Not sure about that.  Apparently breathalyzers detect mouthwash, bread, gum, etc as alcohol.  

I've had an interlock from DUI.  Mouthwash, yes, but it's pretty simple to not blow a false positive.  Have a drink of water or literally anything non-alcoholic before getting in the car and the mouthwash alcohol will be gone.  I think the bread, gum, energy drinks, and everything else setting off an interlock is largely nonsense and an excuse people use when they get caught not wating long enough after drinking to try to start their car.  I never changed my eating or gum chewing habits and not once ever had a false positive.  I'm not saying it can't happen, just that it's extremely unlikely and can, again, be solved by taking a drink of anything and getting the bread, gum, or whatever sugars out of your mouth.

The fact that interlocks might once in the bluest of moons give a false positive and stop you from starting a car for a few seconds while you rinse your mouth out isn't really a good reason to not have interlocks in cars, IMO.  I think a bigger issue is you might have to make an exception for someone who has COPD or possibly a respiratory issue that affects them from properly being able to blow in it.  It's not just a quick little blow.  You have to blow pretty hard and consistently into an interlock emptying out most of the air in your lungs.

Edited by Tom

If it was really about safety, you'd see autonomous vehicles that can taxi drunk people home, so you could go out and have fun and not have to worry about finding a ride, so long as you weren't actively piloting the vehicle.

Would do wonders for the service and entertainment sectors.

• Hook 'Em 3

On 1/1/2022 at 6:03 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

alcohol related driving deaths dropped by more than half while miles driven has almost tripled? Comparing 1980 to now. 

people shouldn’t drink and drive but additional laws and restrictions are about financially punishing the drunk driver and their families. 

regardless there will not be any automatic car device (active or passive) that will be installed. Congress can add some feel-good laws today but when it gets close to the required date, it will get pushed back and back.  Or “self driving” capabilities will have been added that can turn off the car of the driver starts driving poorly.

We  have  a mercedes, and it detects "fatigued driving" shuts off the radio, has a buzzer alarm and a "take a break" message. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Bars and restaurants should have small but universal surcharges that can be pooled together (by city, county, state, whatever) and each receipt should come with an Uber code. And overnight parking tickets in bar districts should be eliminated. I can't remember how many times in college someone drove home when they shouldn't have because they didn't want to get an overnight parking ticket.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2022 at 4:36 AM, scottsins said:

DWI is a misdemeanor. Felony was unrelated.

Felony deferred in 1992, age 18.
DWI conviction from 1997.
Licensed in 2005.

Hmmm....

Possession with Intent PG1 >4g for a bag of shrooms you and your boys collected from the pasture?

Agg Assault FV on your old man because he deserved it for what he did to your mom?

Burg Hab - felony other than theft, because you were drunk and the holed up resident needed an asskicking?

Aggravated Sexual Assault for roofy-ing that little honey?

Aggravated Robbery because you knocked down an elderly person wahooing some beer from HEB?

am I getting close?