College Football Is Stale and Boring

Vic Mackey

7 minutes ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

There could be many factors leading to these numbers, factors unrelated to conference affiliation.

The two worst ratings shares for national championship games in the last 18 years before the COVID season were the Alabama-LSU conference rematch and the third time people watched Alabama play Clemson. Hard core fans will continue to watch, but there is zero doubt that the same teams showing up over and over, or even worse playing a rematch, depresses ratings.

Forgot to mention that the the four highest ratings shares for national championship games since the BCS started in the 1998 season all had no SEC teams (last night's rating share not available yet that I know of).

Season Matchup Rating
2005 Texas-USC 21.7
2014 Ohio St.-Oregon 18.6
2000 Oklahoma-Florida St. 17.8
1999 Florida St.-Virginia Tech 17.5
2006 Florida-Ohio St. 17.4
1998 Tennessee vs. Florida St. 17.2
2002 Ohio St.-Miami (FL) 17.2
2009 Alabama-Texas 17.2
2008 Florida-Oklahoma 15.8
2017 Alabama-Georgia 15.6
2010 Auburn-Oregon 15.3
2012 Alabama-Notre Dame 15.1
2015 Alabama-Clemson 15.0
2003 LSU-Oklahoma 14.8
2013 Florida St.-Auburn 14.8
2007 LSU-Ohio St. 14.4
2019 LSU-Clemson 14.3
2016 Clemson-Alabama 14.2
2011 Alabama-LSU 14.0
2001 Miami-Nebraska 13.8
2018 Clemson-Alabama 13.8
2004 USC-Oklahoma 13.7
2020 Alabama-Ohio St. 10.3
Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 3

44 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

The two worst ratings shares for national championship games in the last 18 years before the COVID season were the Alabama-LSU conference rematch and the third time people watched Alabama play Clemson. Hard core fans will continue to watch, but there is zero doubt that the same teams showing up over and over, or even worse playing a rematch, depresses ratings.

Forgot to mention that the the four highest ratings shares for national championship games since the BCS started in the 1998 season all had no SEC teams (last night's rating share not available yet that I know of).

Season Matchup Rating
2005 Texas-USC 21.7
2014 Ohio St.-Oregon 18.6
2000 Oklahoma-Florida St. 17.8
1999 Florida St.-Virginia Tech 17.5
2006 Florida-Ohio St. 17.4
1998 Tennessee vs. Florida St. 17.2
2002 Ohio St.-Miami (FL) 17.2
2009 Alabama-Texas 17.2
2008 Florida-Oklahoma 15.8
2017 Alabama-Georgia 15.6
2010 Auburn-Oregon 15.3
2012 Alabama-Notre Dame 15.1
2015 Alabama-Clemson 15.0
2003 LSU-Oklahoma 14.8
2013 Florida St.-Auburn 14.8
2007 LSU-Ohio St. 14.4
2019 LSU-Clemson 14.3
2016 Clemson-Alabama 14.2
2011 Alabama-LSU 14.0
2001 Miami-Nebraska 13.8
2018 Clemson-Alabama 13.8
2004 USC-Oklahoma 13.7
2020 Alabama-Ohio St. 10.3

Fans in the south will watch no matter who is playing.

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In FCS, the North Dakota State Bison won their 9th national championship since 2011.  By far, more dominant than Bama which is the most dominant FBS dynasty we’ve seen.

I think this should be mentioned anytime we hear the “more parity will come with an expanded playoff” argument. 

I can count on the fingers of someone born in Arkansas the number of people who give a fuck about FCS…

6 hours ago, 956 Worldwide said:

In FCS, the North Dakota State Bison won their 9th national championship since 2011.  By far, more dominant than Bama which is the most dominant FBS dynasty we’ve seen.

I think this should be mentioned anytime we hear the “more parity will come with an expanded playoff” argument. 

The FCS is also losing those two non NDSU champions next year. They have no reason to start losing any time soon. 

6 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

it's a thread about college football being stale and boring. what better way to emphasize that point than by pointing out how american tackle football games are over four hours long with literally 5-6x more stoppages/commercials than on-field action. like i said, you get used to watching soccer where the clock never stops, and suddenly you realize that being bombarded with commercials, pre game concerts, half time concerts, reviews, challenges, 27 yellow flags, etc isn't nearly as fun as you once thought it was.

At first I was like fuck yourself but this asshole is starting to make some sense

girls look GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

These rematches are just annoying and obnoxious. In no other sport will there ever be a rematch between two teams within the same postseason. It's so asinine that it's ridiculous to even have to point that out. The fact that college football does not count CCG as the same postseason is just absurd. Is UGA really considered better than Bama because they beat them a month after they lost to them? If they are considered a different part of the post season I really do not understand the point of CCGs (from a competitive standpoint, I get the $$$ bullshit). To me that is the dumbest part of all this, that conference championships mean so little to postseasons and the national championship.

Honest question.

Who would you have playing alabama for the MNC in a four team playoff? We’re the best 2 teams not there? Would baylor have put up a better fight? 2 loss Ohio state?

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Honest question.

Who would you have playing alabama for the MNC in a four team playoff? We’re the best 2 teams not there? Would baylor have put up a better fight? 2 loss Ohio state?

Michigan. But they got run out of the stadium. Alabama and Georgia were the best teams and it wasn't close. 

Michigan. But they got run out of the stadium. Alabama and Georgia were the best teams and it wasn't close. 

Exactly. This wasn’t lsu Alabama a few years back. With the playoff and not computers there was no question on should have been there. And it will be even better down the road.

10 hours ago, Ignatius said:

I can count on the fingers of someone born in Arkansas the number of people who give a fuck about FCS…

You missed the point.  It’s not who cares about FCS.   Joel Klatt and lots of fans and analysts argue that an expanded playoff will bring more parity. Meanwhile NDSU is winning 9 championships in 11 years in an expanded playoff system that already exists. 

3 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

You missed the point.  It’s not who cares about FCS.   Joel Klatt and lots of fans and analysts argue that an expanded playoff will bring more parity. Meanwhile NDSU is winning 9 championships in 11 years in an expanded playoff system that already exists. 

This ignores the upward trajectory of NDSU's competition.

Troy, App State, Texas State. among others have moved up.  SHSU is a perennial contender and they are headed to Conference USA. 

That ain't happening in FBS, well not the way you mean it.

8 hours ago, immamac said:

I do think this is the beginning of the end of the football imbalance. 1 free transfer and NIL is really going to do good things for parity IMO. 

The exact opposite seems to be playing out. What programs can launch  things like the Pancake Factory? I know Tech tried something, but the elite talent is going to go to the winners with the most money to offer. 

Transfers are going to the winners with money as well.  Georgia and Bama over the last two years have picked up Gilbert, Kendrick, Smith, Williams, To'o To'o, Ricks, and Jahmyr Gibbs. All but Tykee Smith were top 100 recruits. 3/5 available played significant roles in the championship game. Ricks and Gibbs will be huge for Bama next year. If you aren't familiar with Gibbs, remember that name when you play them next year. Georgia hasn't even started on the 2022 portal. 

If Bama and Georgia can't plug holes with elite talent that's immediately eligible to play, I think we see a different championship game the other night. 

6 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

The exact opposite seems to be playing out. What programs can launch  things like the Pancake Factory? I know Tech tried something, but the elite talent is going to go to the winners with the most money to offer. 

Transfers are going to the winners with money as well.  Georgia and Bama over the last two years have picked up Gilbert, Kendrick, Smith, Williams, To'o To'o, Ricks, and Jahmyr Gibbs. All but Tykee Smith were top 100 recruits. 3/5 available played significant roles in the championship game. Ricks and Gibbs will be huge for Bama next year. If you aren't familiar with Gibbs, remember that name when you play them next year. Georgia hasn't even started on the 2022 portal. 

If Bama and Georgia can't plug holes with elite talent that's immediately eligible to play, I think we see a different championship game the other night. 

And then a handful of those guys are transferring penalty free. We are seeing a lot of 1 or 2 year shuffles. 

We are also seeing a complete rebalancing with NIL and pancake factory and other things aren't going to be the only things they are just the early leaders. It won't be hard for any school that takes football seriously to get 4.5M to players which is about 85 scholarship players getting 50k a year. It's hard now because it's pioneering and no one knows if it's necessary, when it's tablestakes people will just buy tickets. How much do you think every one of these 80-90k stadiums makes at the gate every year per game? 

80*65 = 5200 * 1000 = 5,200,000 

Well looks like for 1 extra "home game" a year without even buying concessions for a normal fan at not ridiculous face is enough to pay the whole team more than 50k. 

When NIL gets normalized to the masses 20-30-50k per player is doable by anyone who actually should be fielding a football team (e.g. their fans actually give a shit and come watch). Right now no one feels like they need to participate, that will change in 2-3 years. No one is going to be going to the highest dollars offered because it's the only place or because it's the difference between 0 and 50k (hint, that's a very big difference, 50-75k is not a crazy difference like coming from 0 is.) 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, immamac said:

We didn't really establish who the best team was this year either.  Bama beat Georgia, and in the rematch the inverse happened.  So it was basically a coin toss.  Georgia was just better that day.   These rematch games (against very good+ teams)  tend to favor the loser of the first encounter from what I recall.   FSU-Florida, LSU-Bama, TX-OU, TX,-Colorado (OK, CU wasn't a very good team), etc. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nivek said:

We didn't really establish who the best team was this year either.  Bama beat Georgia, and in the rematch the inverse happened.  So it was basically a coin toss.  Georgia was just better that day.   These rematch games (against very good+ teams)  tend to favor the loser of the first encounter from what I recall.   FSU-Florida, LSU-Bama, TX-OU, TX,-Colorado (OK, CU wasn't a very good team), etc. 

You want them best 2 out of 3. They destroyed everyone else. No one else stood a chance. 

I would be okay with the argument if they didn't absolutely dumpster everyone else the entire season. Aggy fluked Alabama at home and Georgia outwilled them in the national championship down 2 of their top producing WR (not an excuse, just important detail) 

You are arguing that Baylor or some other shit ass team should have played? Alabama ran Cincinnati out of the fucking stadium. Even OSU proved Notre Dame was trash. OSU is hot garbage. You think they even score a td against either of these teams? 

Georgia allowed 16 touchdowns in 14 games or something ridiculous, just stop with your hurr durr we don't know if they are actually the best team. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

i lost interest in watching college football after i really got into watching soccer, and it's for a pretty simple and obvious reason.

watching soccer: 45 minutes of action, 15 minute half time, 45 minutes of action, game over.

watching college football: 4 1/2 hours of start, stop, flag, review, commercial, coach's challenge, commercial, score, commercial, kickoff, commercial, flag, commercial, punt, commercial, flags, reviews, commercials, etc.

watching college football is like punishment compared to watching most other sports. drives me fucking nuts.

Football is a much more brutal sport, the amount of exertion needed on every play makes it necessary to have the breaks.  Boxers/MMA fighters get timed rounds for the same reason, imagine how awful they would be after 20 minutes of continuous fighting, neither fighter could probably move their arms block, or throw a punch.  

The idea that there is this football vs. soccer competition is beyond stupid and for stupid people to discuss.   There is no real comparison between the games.   Soccer is more similar to Basketball than it is to Football.  This is akin to arguing why watching a Jason Statham action movie is better than watching the documentary on Elizabeth Holmes.   

• Hook 'Em 3

16 hours ago, mdmost said:

They have got to expand. The numbers are showing the diminishing returns of one conference ruling the world

Gee, down 16% from the last pre-pandemic year. It definitely feels like there is a different vibe surrounding the game... and it's not good. 

What's amazing to me is that Sunday Night Football averaged 18.5 million this past year. 

I think ESPN has put a big damper on the game viewership by simply having it on their channel at a time when cord cutting is happening. I think people are tired of the same few teams playing each year. I don't think NIL or conference re-alignment is going to be good in the long-term.

I'm amazed that that many people watched when Texas sucks, USC sucks, Washington sucks, Oregon doesn't feel like the Oregon of 10 years ago, okay the entire Pac-12 sucks, Florida schools suck, the ACC sucks, and there's not a single relevant NE school.

It's becoming a regional sport. ESPN over-pimping the SEC obviously hasn't helped, but it's coincided with a long stretch of terrible football from Texas and the coasts.

• Like 2

Spoiler

College football rankings: ESPN releases final FPI Top 25 after playoff

ByBRAD CRAWFORD Jan 11, 5:19 AM
  •  
  •  
  •  

CFP Title Game Recap: No. 3 Georgia Defeats No. 1 Alabama, 33-18

0110-ugaaa.jpg

For the first time since 1980, the Georgia Bulldogs are national champions and finish the season ranked No. 1 in ESPN's final FPI Top 25 rankings following the College Football Playoff and an exciting bowl season. A furious fourth-quarter rally against Alabama fueled the Bulldogs to a 33-18 victory Monday night and commenced a celebration Georgia fans have been waiting four decades to carry out.

Jim Harbaugh and Michigan's impressive campaign was stopped short of the national championship game by a hungry Georgia defense intent on making up for its previous showing against the Crimson Tide in the SEC title game, while fellow Big Ten elite Ohio State won a heart-stopping Rose Bowl against Utah to round out the top 5.

Per ESPN, the Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. In this, these are final rankings based on an algorithmic formula. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Here's a look at updated FPI rankings following Georgia's win in the national championship game.

1. GEORGIA BULLDOGS (14-1)

10849078.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Georgia snapped its 41-year national championship drought behind a 20-point effort in the fourth quarter of a 33-18 win over Alabama, Kirby Smart's first over Nick Saban as the Bulldogs avenged a previous loss to the Crimson Tide this season behind a monstrous effort defensively and from quarterback Stetson Bennett. Kelle Ringo's interception return for a touchdown in the final moments was the icing on the cake for Georgia's coronation as national champs.

“I’ve never been around a group of players that really wanted it so bad and wouldn’t be denied,” Smart said. “I told the guys in the locker room, just take a picture of this."

2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE (13-2)

10849077.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Despite a valiant effort without his two top receiving targets after John Metchie's absence and Jameson Williams going down in the second quarter with a knee injury, Heisman winner Bryce Young finished 35-of-57 for 359 yards and two interceptions as the Crimson Tide's bid for a second straight national title came up short.

“We played a heck of a game against a heck of a team for the first three quarters of the game,” Nick Saban said. "Nobody can take the SEC championship away from this team, the Cotton Bowl championship. We just didn’t finish the way we needed to finish.”

3. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES (11-2)

10830474.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Think Ohio State wanted to play in the Rose Bowl? The Buckeyes bucked the "didn't want to be there" narrative with a comeback win over Utah in Pasadena behind six touchdown passes and nearly 600 yards through the air from Heisman finalist C.J. Stroud. With potential first-round picks Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson looking on after opting out, Jaxon Smith-Njigba caught 15 passes for 347 yards and three scores to shatter single-game program records against the Utes. Ohio State's season, for better or worse, ended prematurely with the loss at Michigan, but this team should be high-powered in 2022 with Stroud returning, among others.

4. MICHIGAN WOLVERINES (12-2)

10759810.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Junfu Han/Detroit Free Press-USA TODAY NETWORK, USA TODAY Sports)

Michigan's dream season came to an end against a stronger, more physical Georgia team in the Orange Bowl, but Jim Harbaugh refused to hang his head after the Wolverines' spectacular campaign featured a Big Ten championship and emphatic rivalry win over Ohio State. Harbaugh said he feels this team helped start something special at a program that reached the playoff for the first time and could lead to bigger and better things moving forward. ESPN's FPI slots the Wolverines at No. 4 after their 12-win finish.

5. OKLAHOMA SOONERS (11-2)

10830473.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

The Sooners moved up one spot to No. 5 following their dominant Alamo Bowl win over Oregon last month month. Recent NCAA transfer portal entry Caleb Williams and his teammates played with their hair on fire for bowl coach Bob Stoops and seized a great deal of momentum heading into the offseason prior to the 2022 campaign and Brent Venables' debut as head coach. Expect Oklahoma to once again be the preseason frontrunner in the Big 12 Conference.

6. NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH (11-2)

10829681.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Notre Dame fell outside of the top five of ESPN's FPI following its loss to Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl after squandering a 21-point lead. The Fighting Irish have lost their last 10 major bowl games and a surprising disappointment defensively spoiled the debut of new coach Marcus Freeman, who was promoted following Brian Kelly's departure to LSU. Notre Dame should be a preseason top 10 team in 2022 when the way-too-early rankings release given what the Irish have coming back.

7. OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS (12-2)

10830469.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Mike Gundy called Oklahoma State's 21-point comeback in the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame the best win in program history, or at least one that he's been apart of given the circumstances. The Cowboys appeared down and out in the first half after Notre Dame jumped out to a sizable margin before scoring the game's next 31 points. The Big 12's "Big Three" all impressed during bowl season as Baylor won the Sugar, Oklahoma took care of business in the Alamo and Oklahoma State was victorious in the desert.

8. CLEMSON TIGERS (10-3)

10830467.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Another season of 10 or more wins for Dabo Swinney was capped with a Cheez-It Bowl victory over Iowa State. ESPN's FPI rankings moved the Tigers ahead three spots to No. 8. This season wasn't what Clemson wanted after seeing its streak of six consecutive conference championships end, along with a string of trips to the playoff. But give the Tigers credit from rebounding from early struggles to push ahead as one of the nation's hottest teams down the stretch. With 2022 five-star Cade Klubnik coming in under center, it'll be interesting to see who Clemson's starting quarterback is next fall.

9. CINCINNATI BEARCATS (13-1)

10821402.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

The Bearcats dropped two spots to No. 9 after suffering their first loss of the season to Alabama in the College Football Playoff. Cincinnati hung with the Crimson Tide for 2.5 quarters with a solid defensive showing, but never got going on offense. Considering Cincinnati was the first Group of Five team to ever play in a semifinal setting, the Bearcats proved they belonged according to Saban.

10. IOWA STATE CYCLONES (7-6)

10749066.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Reese Strickland, USA TODAY Sports)

One of this season's biggest mysterious was the FPI's infatuation with the Cyclones, a team that fell well short of expectations as one of the Big 12's preseason frontrunners. Iowa State capsized during the second half of the season and ended with a whimper against Clemson in Orlando. Despite a veteran-heavy lineup returning this season and a preseason top 10 ranking, Iowa State finished as one of our most disappointing team with a surprising tumble in the Big 12.

10668910.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Scott Stevens, Getty)

11. Utah Utes (10-4)

12. Pittsburgh Panthers (11-3)

13. Wisconsin Badgers (9-4)

Utah's first trip to the Rose Bowl was an absolute thriller against Ohio State, a 48-45 loss that was easily one of bowl season's best games. As the Pac-12 champions, Utah was the league's last hope at winning a postseason game, but the loss dropped the league to 0-5.

It's hard to determine how Pittsburgh would've fared with Heisman finalist Kenny Pickett deciding to play in the bowl game, but a loss to Michigan State in the Peach soured an otherwise special season for the Panthers that included a conference title in the ACC.

Wisconsin shook off a regular-season ending loss at Minnesota with a dominant defensive showing vs. Arizona State to win the Las Vegas Bowl.

10797896.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Bob Levey, Getty)

14. Texas A&M Aggies (7-5)

15. Baylor Bears (12-2)

16. NC State Wolfpack (9-3)

After finishing 9-1 in 2020, Texas A&M took a step back this fall with four losses, the highpoint being an upset win over Alabama in October.

Big 12 champion Baylor had a campaign to remember under Dave Aranda, capped by the program’s impressive defensive showing against Ole Miss in Saturday’s Sugar Bowl. Twelve wins is quite an accomplishment.

Dave Doeren sees NC State as a true 10-game winner this season despite being unable to play the Holiday Bowl after COVID protocol issues and injuries struck UCLA just hours before kickoff. The Wolfpack finished one win shy of a berth in the ACC Championship Game.

10733734.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Grace Brennan-FOS/247)

17. Penn State Nittany Lions (7-6)

18. Ole Miss Rebels (10-3)

19. Michigan State Spartans (11-2)

The season started out with such promise for Penn State, who beat Wisconsin and Auburn early before floundering during the second-half stretch when the meat of the Big Ten schedule crushed the Nittany Lions offensively.

Ole Miss won 10 regular-season games for the first time in program history during Lane Kiffin’s second campaign and was a tough luck loser in Saturday night’s Sugar Bowl following an early injury to star quarterback Matt Corral.

Michigan State jumped two spots to No. 19 after winning its 11th game against Pittsburgh in the Peach Bowl, doing so without Kenneth Walker.

Tank Bigsby(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

20. Auburn Tigers (6-7)

21. Arkansas Razorbacks (9-4)

22. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (11-3)

One of only two teams with a losing record inside ESPN’s top 25, Auburn finished one game under .500 in Bryan Harsin’s first season after losing its bowl contest versus Houston.

Arkansas trudged through the nation's toughest slate to win nine games during Sam Pittman's second campaign, capping a banner year with a win over Penn State in the Outback Bowl behind KJ Jefferson's monster outing.

Wake Forest capped a memorable campaign with a blowout victory over Rutgers in the Gator Bowl last month. With nearly every key player back in 2022, the Demon Deacons could be the early favorite to win the ACC. Wake Forest moved up eight spots in the final FPI rankings.

10750101.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

23. Miami Hurricanes (7-5)

24. Texas Longhorns (5-7)

17COMMENTS

25. Purdue Boilermakers (7-6)

Miami saved its season with an impressive showing down the stretch, but it wasn't enough to save Manny Diaz's job. The Hurricanes moved on from their head coach and hired Oregon's Mario Cristobal, bringing the former player home to South Beach. 

Yes, Texas made the FPI top 25 despite a stretch of six consecutive losses during Steve Sarkisian's first campaign, the longest losing skid for the Longhorns since the 1950s.

Despite being ravaged by opt-outs at key positions, Purdue capped its season with a win over Tennessee in the Music City Bowl, a virtual road game for the Boilermakers.

I can't believe this shit is real lulz 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, immamac said:

You want them best 2 out of 3. They destroyed everyone else. No one else stood a chance. 

I would be okay with the argument if they didn't absolutely dumpster everyone else the entire season. Aggy fluked Alabama at home and Georgia outwilled them in the national championship down 2 of their top producing WR (not an excuse, just important detail) 

You are arguing that Baylor or some other shit ass team should have played? Alabama ran Cincinnati out of the fucking stadium. Even OSU proved Notre Dame was trash. OSU is hot garbage. You think they even score a td against either of these teams? 

Georgia allowed 16 touchdowns in 14 games or something ridiculous, just stop with your hurr durr we don't know if they are actually the best team. 

Georgia probably played very good defense, but it is hard to judge how good when they are playing that many shit schools.   They did give up 70 points in their last 3 games.  Bama won by 17 and then lost by 15 in the rematch.   

I don't have the answers here, just the inkling that I hate rematches and the system is flawed.  Hopefully the NIL will allow for more opportunities.   I kind of liked the BCS better than this.  Outside of the OU mulligan of course.   For all its flaws, it seemed that the teams and players enjoyed the bowl system better.  Or maybe I was just younger and more free time.   Or maybe it is just that Texas is working up to be mediocre.   

16 minutes ago, WinningIsHard said:
  Hide contents

College football rankings: ESPN releases final FPI Top 25 after playoff

ByBRAD CRAWFORD Jan 11, 5:19 AM
  •  
  •  
  •  

CFP Title Game Recap: No. 3 Georgia Defeats No. 1 Alabama, 33-18

0110-ugaaa.jpg

For the first time since 1980, the Georgia Bulldogs are national champions and finish the season ranked No. 1 in ESPN's final FPI Top 25 rankings following the College Football Playoff and an exciting bowl season. A furious fourth-quarter rally against Alabama fueled the Bulldogs to a 33-18 victory Monday night and commenced a celebration Georgia fans have been waiting four decades to carry out.

Jim Harbaugh and Michigan's impressive campaign was stopped short of the national championship game by a hungry Georgia defense intent on making up for its previous showing against the Crimson Tide in the SEC title game, while fellow Big Ten elite Ohio State won a heart-stopping Rose Bowl against Utah to round out the top 5.

Per ESPN, the Football Power Index (FPI) is a measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. In this, these are final rankings based on an algorithmic formula. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is.

Get the fastest scores, stats, news, LIVE videos, and more. CLICK HERE to download the CBS Sports Mobile App and get the latest on your team today.

Here's a look at updated FPI rankings following Georgia's win in the national championship game.

1. GEORGIA BULLDOGS (14-1)

10849078.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Georgia snapped its 41-year national championship drought behind a 20-point effort in the fourth quarter of a 33-18 win over Alabama, Kirby Smart's first over Nick Saban as the Bulldogs avenged a previous loss to the Crimson Tide this season behind a monstrous effort defensively and from quarterback Stetson Bennett. Kelle Ringo's interception return for a touchdown in the final moments was the icing on the cake for Georgia's coronation as national champs.

“I’ve never been around a group of players that really wanted it so bad and wouldn’t be denied,” Smart said. “I told the guys in the locker room, just take a picture of this."

2. ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE (13-2)

10849077.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Despite a valiant effort without his two top receiving targets after John Metchie's absence and Jameson Williams going down in the second quarter with a knee injury, Heisman winner Bryce Young finished 35-of-57 for 359 yards and two interceptions as the Crimson Tide's bid for a second straight national title came up short.

“We played a heck of a game against a heck of a team for the first three quarters of the game,” Nick Saban said. "Nobody can take the SEC championship away from this team, the Cotton Bowl championship. We just didn’t finish the way we needed to finish.”

3. OHIO STATE BUCKEYES (11-2)

10830474.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Think Ohio State wanted to play in the Rose Bowl? The Buckeyes bucked the "didn't want to be there" narrative with a comeback win over Utah in Pasadena behind six touchdown passes and nearly 600 yards through the air from Heisman finalist C.J. Stroud. With potential first-round picks Chris Olave and Garrett Wilson looking on after opting out, Jaxon Smith-Njigba caught 15 passes for 347 yards and three scores to shatter single-game program records against the Utes. Ohio State's season, for better or worse, ended prematurely with the loss at Michigan, but this team should be high-powered in 2022 with Stroud returning, among others.

4. MICHIGAN WOLVERINES (12-2)

10759810.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Junfu Han/Detroit Free Press-USA TODAY NETWORK, USA TODAY Sports)

Michigan's dream season came to an end against a stronger, more physical Georgia team in the Orange Bowl, but Jim Harbaugh refused to hang his head after the Wolverines' spectacular campaign featured a Big Ten championship and emphatic rivalry win over Ohio State. Harbaugh said he feels this team helped start something special at a program that reached the playoff for the first time and could lead to bigger and better things moving forward. ESPN's FPI slots the Wolverines at No. 4 after their 12-win finish.

5. OKLAHOMA SOONERS (11-2)

10830473.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

The Sooners moved up one spot to No. 5 following their dominant Alamo Bowl win over Oregon last month month. Recent NCAA transfer portal entry Caleb Williams and his teammates played with their hair on fire for bowl coach Bob Stoops and seized a great deal of momentum heading into the offseason prior to the 2022 campaign and Brent Venables' debut as head coach. Expect Oklahoma to once again be the preseason frontrunner in the Big 12 Conference.

6. NOTRE DAME FIGHTING IRISH (11-2)

10829681.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

Notre Dame fell outside of the top five of ESPN's FPI following its loss to Oklahoma State in the Fiesta Bowl after squandering a 21-point lead. The Fighting Irish have lost their last 10 major bowl games and a surprising disappointment defensively spoiled the debut of new coach Marcus Freeman, who was promoted following Brian Kelly's departure to LSU. Notre Dame should be a preseason top 10 team in 2022 when the way-too-early rankings release given what the Irish have coming back.

7. OKLAHOMA STATE COWBOYS (12-2)

10830469.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Mike Gundy called Oklahoma State's 21-point comeback in the Fiesta Bowl against Notre Dame the best win in program history, or at least one that he's been apart of given the circumstances. The Cowboys appeared down and out in the first half after Notre Dame jumped out to a sizable margin before scoring the game's next 31 points. The Big 12's "Big Three" all impressed during bowl season as Baylor won the Sugar, Oklahoma took care of business in the Alamo and Oklahoma State was victorious in the desert.

8. CLEMSON TIGERS (10-3)

10830467.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Getty)

Another season of 10 or more wins for Dabo Swinney was capped with a Cheez-It Bowl victory over Iowa State. ESPN's FPI rankings moved the Tigers ahead three spots to No. 8. This season wasn't what Clemson wanted after seeing its streak of six consecutive conference championships end, along with a string of trips to the playoff. But give the Tigers credit from rebounding from early struggles to push ahead as one of the nation's hottest teams down the stretch. With 2022 five-star Cade Klubnik coming in under center, it'll be interesting to see who Clemson's starting quarterback is next fall.

9. CINCINNATI BEARCATS (13-1)

10821402.png?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: USA TODAY Sports)

The Bearcats dropped two spots to No. 9 after suffering their first loss of the season to Alabama in the College Football Playoff. Cincinnati hung with the Crimson Tide for 2.5 quarters with a solid defensive showing, but never got going on offense. Considering Cincinnati was the first Group of Five team to ever play in a semifinal setting, the Bearcats proved they belonged according to Saban.

10. IOWA STATE CYCLONES (7-6)

10749066.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Reese Strickland, USA TODAY Sports)

One of this season's biggest mysterious was the FPI's infatuation with the Cyclones, a team that fell well short of expectations as one of the Big 12's preseason frontrunners. Iowa State capsized during the second half of the season and ended with a whimper against Clemson in Orlando. Despite a veteran-heavy lineup returning this season and a preseason top 10 ranking, Iowa State finished as one of our most disappointing team with a surprising tumble in the Big 12.

10668910.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Scott Stevens, Getty)

11. Utah Utes (10-4)

12. Pittsburgh Panthers (11-3)

13. Wisconsin Badgers (9-4)

Utah's first trip to the Rose Bowl was an absolute thriller against Ohio State, a 48-45 loss that was easily one of bowl season's best games. As the Pac-12 champions, Utah was the league's last hope at winning a postseason game, but the loss dropped the league to 0-5.

It's hard to determine how Pittsburgh would've fared with Heisman finalist Kenny Pickett deciding to play in the bowl game, but a loss to Michigan State in the Peach soured an otherwise special season for the Panthers that included a conference title in the ACC.

Wisconsin shook off a regular-season ending loss at Minnesota with a dominant defensive showing vs. Arizona State to win the Las Vegas Bowl.

10797896.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Bob Levey, Getty)

14. Texas A&M Aggies (7-5)

15. Baylor Bears (12-2)

16. NC State Wolfpack (9-3)

After finishing 9-1 in 2020, Texas A&M took a step back this fall with four losses, the highpoint being an upset win over Alabama in October.

Big 12 champion Baylor had a campaign to remember under Dave Aranda, capped by the program’s impressive defensive showing against Ole Miss in Saturday’s Sugar Bowl. Twelve wins is quite an accomplishment.

Dave Doeren sees NC State as a true 10-game winner this season despite being unable to play the Holiday Bowl after COVID protocol issues and injuries struck UCLA just hours before kickoff. The Wolfpack finished one win shy of a berth in the ACC Championship Game.

10733734.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320(Photo: Grace Brennan-FOS/247)

17. Penn State Nittany Lions (7-6)

18. Ole Miss Rebels (10-3)

19. Michigan State Spartans (11-2)

The season started out with such promise for Penn State, who beat Wisconsin and Auburn early before floundering during the second-half stretch when the meat of the Big Ten schedule crushed the Nittany Lions offensively.

Ole Miss won 10 regular-season games for the first time in program history during Lane Kiffin’s second campaign and was a tough luck loser in Saturday night’s Sugar Bowl following an early injury to star quarterback Matt Corral.

Michigan State jumped two spots to No. 19 after winning its 11th game against Pittsburgh in the Peach Bowl, doing so without Kenneth Walker.

Tank Bigsby(Photo: Icon Sportswire, Getty)

20. Auburn Tigers (6-7)

21. Arkansas Razorbacks (9-4)

22. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (11-3)

One of only two teams with a losing record inside ESPN’s top 25, Auburn finished one game under .500 in Bryan Harsin’s first season after losing its bowl contest versus Houston.

Arkansas trudged through the nation's toughest slate to win nine games during Sam Pittman's second campaign, capping a banner year with a win over Penn State in the Outback Bowl behind KJ Jefferson's monster outing.

Wake Forest capped a memorable campaign with a blowout victory over Rutgers in the Gator Bowl last month. With nearly every key player back in 2022, the Demon Deacons could be the early favorite to win the ACC. Wake Forest moved up eight spots in the final FPI rankings.

10750101.jpg?fit=bounds&crop=620:320,offset-y0.50&width=620&height=320

23. Miami Hurricanes (7-5)

24. Texas Longhorns (5-7)

17COMMENTS

25. Purdue Boilermakers (7-6)

Miami saved its season with an impressive showing down the stretch, but it wasn't enough to save Manny Diaz's job. The Hurricanes moved on from their head coach and hired Oregon's Mario Cristobal, bringing the former player home to South Beach. 

Yes, Texas made the FPI top 25 despite a stretch of six consecutive losses during Steve Sarkisian's first campaign, the longest losing skid for the Longhorns since the 1950s.

Despite being ravaged by opt-outs at key positions, Purdue capped its season with a win over Tennessee in the Music City Bowl, a virtual road game for the Boilermakers.

I can't believe this shit is real lulz 

Were they shitfaced out of their minds when they ranked the teams?

Edited by USNALonghorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

42 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

I'm amazed that that many people watched when Texas sucks, USC sucks, Washington sucks, Oregon doesn't feel like the Oregon of 10 years ago, okay the entire Pac-12 sucks, Florida schools suck, the ACC sucks, and there's not a single relevant NE school.

It's becoming a regional sport. ESPN over-pimping the SEC obviously hasn't helped, but it's coincided with a long stretch of terrible football from Texas and the coasts.

I fully support any conference thats holding out for automatic bids, without that the CFP board will pick as many SEC teams as they possibly can for the playoffs. I realize that this might help Texas but its bad for the sport overall, unless the SEC plans to break away and have its own league. without auto bids the gap between haves and have nots will only get bigger. Even with autobids its not good, but at least the chances are better. I realize the move to the SEC makes sense financially and the Big 12 is not the answer but the whole thing smells bad, and reminds me of George Bailey Going to see Mr. Potter and agreeing to a deal.

• Hook 'Em 2

Not that my position matters to the system, but I couldn't agree with any expansion that doesn't have automatic bids for conference winners.  If you have 8 or 12 it'd be absurd to have a committee picking all the teams.  This bullshit about picking the "best" teams over the most "deserving" teams because a room full of biased people use their "eye test" to place teams in a playoff is unnecessary with the 8 or 12 playoff model.  After the auto bids for conference winners, that committee can do their normal contradictory mental gymnastics to add the remaining spots, but auto bids should be a requirement.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, markstanco said:

Honest question.

Baylor, because they were the next best conference champions. If the response is about seeding, it just goes to what I think the real solution is, 8 conferences of 10 teams each, the round-robin champs go to a playoff and only then is there any subjectivity in seeding them. Non-con games can be as tough as you want, they won't affect your ability to make the playoff.

• Hook 'Em 1

11 hours ago, immamac said:

I do think this is the beginning of the end of the football imbalance. 1 free transfer and NIL is really going to do good things for parity IMO. 

I'm on board with this thought as well. I do think they need to change the transfer rule to only allow transferring during certain windows (similar to signing periods).  I would like to get rid of early signing period and make that the transfer period and go back to only single HS signing period in February.

As far as rich getting richer... that is true to an extent, but no longer can the Alabama's of the world stockpile talent depth. Going to be hard for top talent to sit if there is opportunity elsewhere.  They might be able to pull top talent, but might lose depth in process. Depth differences is the big distinguisher between top tier and next tier.

As for aggy style open checkbook high school recruiting I think that levels off pretty quickly. There will be some guys sure, but I think you will see way more transfer portal open checkbook scenarios. The value is going to be on the kid you can get to transfer, who has a year experience in a college program, who gets locked in for more than a year because of transfer rules.

As you pointed out in another reply, the money pull is not as big when talking $100k-150k as it is from $0-100k. etc

As for paying for it... look at all the programs paying ridiculous amounts to head coaches. Redirect some of those future bumps to the players instead (likely with better outcome).

Ratings past 2 years have been down. I have concerns about Texas and OU moving to the SEC and helping make CFB relegated as a regional sport like NASCAR. I like the future home schedule, but think its bad for the sport.

I dont understand people carrying water to keep the bowls over a real playoff.

If you could do this system from scratch, you wouldnt have anything close to what we have now.

Imagine joining a 130-team fantasy football league and being told that only 4 teams would make the playoffs and friends of about 10 teams get to choose who gets in. Its madness.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

Seems that if an athletic program is not operating in the black, and is partially supported by the academic side, then they shouldn't be using money for NIL for individual players.  Seems pretty unfair to the actual students who go without so the athletic dept can have more.

8 hours ago, immamac said:

And then a handful of those guys are transferring penalty free. We are seeing a lot of 1 or 2 year shuffles. 

We are also seeing a complete rebalancing with NIL and pancake factory and other things aren't going to be the only things they are just the early leaders. It won't be hard for any school that takes football seriously to get 4.5M to players which is about 85 scholarship players getting 50k a year. It's hard now because it's pioneering and no one knows if it's necessary, when it's tablestakes people will just buy tickets. How much do you think every one of these 80-90k stadiums makes at the gate every year per game? 

80*65 = 5200 * 1000 = 5,200,000 

Well looks like for 1 extra "home game" a year without even buying concessions for a normal fan at not ridiculous face is enough to pay the whole team more than 50k. 

When NIL gets normalized to the masses 20-30-50k per player is doable by anyone who actually should be fielding a football team (e.g. their fans actually give a shit and come watch). Right now no one feels like they need to participate, that will change in 2-3 years. No one is going to be going to the highest dollars offered because it's the only place or because it's the difference between 0 and 50k (hint, that's a very big difference, 50-75k is not a crazy difference like coming from 0 is.) 

6 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

Seems that if an athletic program is not operating in the black, and is partially supported by the academic side, then they shouldn't be using money for NIL for individual players.  Seems pretty unfair to the actual students who go without so the athletic dept can have more.

Huh? Are you under the impression that NIL money comes from or even goes through the school or athletic program? 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Eskimohorn said:

Ratings past 2 years have been down. I have concerns about Texas and OU moving to the SEC and helping make CFB relegated as a regional sport like NASCAR. I like the future home schedule, but think its bad for the sport.

I dont understand people carrying water to keep the bowls over a real playoff.

If you could do this system from scratch, you wouldnt have anything close to what we have now.

Imagine joining a 130-team fantasy football league and being told that only 4 teams would make the playoffs and friends of about 10 teams get to choose who gets in. Its madness.

If the NCAA is smart, they will end up with a version of March Madness for Football where you have a higher number of teams playing out a 3 or 4 weeks stretch to determine the championship instead of bowls. They would have to reshape the regular season and conference championships to do it, but it would be better for the sport in the long term. The teams that don't make it in go to the NAIA version of the tournament etc. 5 or 6 wins to qualify, then do seedings etc.

Edited by Vertigo
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Huh? Are you under the impression that NIL money comes from or even goes through the school or athletic program? 

No, I know it is separate.  Just seems somehow out of balance when a school like A&M can carry over debt to the academic side year after year, but then have no issue finding all this NIL donor money.    If the money for NIL was there, then it should have been available instead of digging into the academic coffers.  Or at least paid back those old debts first.   I can't fully explain it, but it just doesn't sit right somehow.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

No, I know it is separate.  Just seems somehow out of balance when a school like A&M can carry over debt to the academic side year after year, but then have no issue finding all this NIL donor money.    If the money for NIL was there, then it should have been available instead of digging into the academic coffers.  Or at least paid back those old debts first.   I can't fully explain it, but it just doesn't sit right somehow.  

Since when have actual educational needs ever been put in front of new arenas, high paid coaches ............ QB's.

Would  be interesting to see a study on this over the past century.  Where the money comes from, where it goes.  How that has changed over time. 

If a large blueblood school were to drop football, who would get hurt most?  The surrounding community (hotels, restaurants, etc)?  The school itself from decreased income and donations?  

12 minutes ago, pyrohornIII said:

First of all, A&M didn't have shit for NIL this year. That's just BS to cover what they actually did. Don't believe them. But to your point, that's pretty standard behavior for them. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 hours ago, Nivek said:

Football is a much more brutal sport, the amount of exertion needed on every play makes it necessary to have the breaks.  Boxers/MMA fighters get timed rounds for the same reason, imagine how awful they would be after 20 minutes of continuous fighting, neither fighter could probably move their arms block, or throw a punch.  

The idea that there is this football vs. soccer competition is beyond stupid and for stupid people to discuss.   There is no real comparison between the games.   Soccer is more similar to Basketball than it is to Football.  This is akin to arguing why watching a Jason Statham action movie is better than watching the documentary on Elizabeth Holmes.   

Wrestlers don't get breaks after every move.

Outside of their own conference, the two teams that played for the "national championship" beat:

* #14 Clemson
* #4 Cincinnati
* #3 Michigan

And these non-ranked teams:

* UAB
* Charleston Southern
* Georgia Tech
* Miami
* Mercer
* Southern Miss
* New Mexico State

Wow, "national" champions....

• Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Texas Jeff said:

Outside of their own conference, the two teams that played for the "national championship" beat:

* #14 Clemson
* #4 Cincinnati
* #3 Michigan

And these non-ranked teams:

* UAB
* Charleston Southern
* Georgia Tech
* Miami
* Mercer
* Southern Miss
* New Mexico State

Wow, "national" champions....

Were their teams that had better wins ??

Non-con games can be as tough as you want, they won't affect your ability to make the playoff.

Yes they will, but it’ll be more indirect.

Do you schedule before conference starts or mid conference?

People get this in their head that an expanded playoff means non-con gets better. It just depends. You will not survive a conference slate unscathed if you play a brutal non-con. Not in P5 anyway.

What is the point in Texas going on the road to play Ohio State? If you win, it doesn’t matter in the context of your season. If you win but play later again in the season, the advantage shifts a bit to the loser. If you lose, it doesn’t matter.

What makes that better in the current environment is that it is more high stakes.

The more high stakes, physical and emotional games you play in a season, the more likely you are to lay an egg at some point. That is one reason, and it is justified in many cases, that people say G5 can’t hang over the course of the season.

And I don’t think the SEC is ok with only 1 team repping them in the playoff so I’m not sure they’d ever go along. Now if the SEC were to have 60 teams, then it’s a different story. The more limits you place on the upper tier conferences and the number of team they can get in, the most likely scenario is they dig their heels in.

53 minutes ago, Helobious said:

You serious clark? A wrestling match is like 6 or 7 minutes total. And they get two 30 second breaks. Throwing/dodging punches takes way more out of you than wrestling does. 

Are you serious comparing football to MMA or wrestling for intensity?

And I think boxers/MMA do have it easier per minute as they can separate and effectively take it easy, but they do have longer bouts.

14 minutes ago, bullet said:

Are you serious comparing football to MMA or wrestling for intensity?

And I think boxers/MMA do have it easier per minute as they can separate and effectively take it easy, but they do have longer bouts.

It sounded to me like that’s what you were doing. Obviously nothing beats combat sports in intensity. While not the endurance sport soccer is, football is clearly more intense and requires more rest. 

I don’t know much about rugby or Australian rules, seems like it’d be more tiring to play one of those than a football or soccer game. The running of a soccer game + tackles & scrums.

On 1/11/2022 at 11:03 AM, 956 Worldwide said:

maybe, maybe not, maybe this is the real truth:

"more relevance and distribution of talent will come with an expanded playoff because today only 5 teams can say they are relevant in january as opposed to 20+ that will be able to say *WE COULD BE RELEVANT* in January" argument

• Like 1