coming to Peacock in February: Bel-Air

shadow_operative

Wait, this was Will Smith's idea, too?  

Peacock Brass, "Will, what do you have for us?"

Will, "Well remember my show 'Fresh Prince' and how it was hilarious with heart.  And it looked like me and most of the cast seemed to be having fun all of the time?"

Peacock Brass, "Of course, we all loved that aspect.  It looked like a jovial, hilarious family growing together and we were just lucky to be along for the ride!" 

Will, "Okay, well my idea it to strip out that entire component of the show.  Instead, it'll be black people frowning with nice backdrops." 

If it were a drama from a clean slate it might be interesting. Utilizing the same characters and basic premise of a sitcom and making it a drama is just dumb. Surely there’s another way to address racial and socioeconomic issues like this in a more original format.

50 minutes ago, Deej said:

The Cosby show is so creepy when you remember he played a gynecologist whose office was part of his house. 

Here's a fun rabbit-hole to go down...think back to when your wife was expecting and you'd go in with her for the monthly checkups to be a good supporter.  Wasn't there almost always a nurse in the room with you?  Or at least, you and the doctor?  How many times you see a nurse or tech going in/coming out of that home office?  Nope, just Dr. Huxtable in there with a woman and her nether regions.  Totes normal.  

On 1/10/2022 at 3:10 PM, Deej said:

The Cosby show is so creepy when you remember he played a gynecologist whose office was part of his house. 

Being too young and having never seen an episode, this is the first I knew of this. And I imagine that they played it completely straight? Given Cosby's "family friendly" brand, there were no quips about "freshness" or "if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life" or a frustrated Mrs. Cosby being told that, when you look at vaginas all day, the last thing you want is to see another one at night? None of the obvious, hit-you-over-the-head "humor" that you'd expect from network TV?

He just opted to played a gynecologist working out of his house for no plot of comedic value? And this wasn't cause for any red flags at the time!?!

14 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Being too young and having never seen an episode, this is the first I knew of this. And I imagine that they played it completely straight? Given Cosby's "family friendly" brand, there were no quips about "freshness" or "if you love what you do, you never work a day in your life" or a frustrated Mrs. Cosby being told that, when you look at vaginas all day, the last thing you want is to see another one at night? None of the obvious, hit-you-over-the-head "humor" that you'd expect from network TV?

He just opted to played a gynecologist working out of his house for no plot of comedic value? And this wasn't cause for any red flags at the time!?!

Nope.  The network wanted very professional and successful jobs for the leads as the Black parents.  The mother character was meant to be the more stern one who didn’t tolerate funny business, so Felicia was perfectly cast as a lawyer.  Perfect job for that kinda tough loving mom.  Cliff was meant to be a little more kind than the stereotypical black dad in TV up to that point.  So smart, educated, with a good bedside manner with adults and kids alike?  Doctor was an obvious choice.  Pediatrician was out as a specialty because it would draw attention away from the kids in the primary cast.  As was anything like urology or proctologist, anything that would be considered potty humor.  

they suggested to Cosby his character also work in a group practice so they had another familiar set to shoot scenes where more of his humorous sensitivities over kid’s heads could flourish.  Cosby refused the note, said Cliff would be a gynecologist, see patients in his basement and there would be no need to cast a regular nurse or sassy assistant…cliff would be all alone during the day with patients while kids were at school and Claire was in court.  A really specific character demand when you think about it.  But nope, nobody thought that odd. 

Speaking of gynecologists, let’s get back to talking about this will smith abortion. 

37 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

he was ob/gyn, and there were very few scenes of cliff "at work".  iirc, the work discussion back at home typically revolved around him being exhausted from delivering babies.

he had an office downstairs but was often at the hospital.  occasionally when there was a private conversation that needed to be had, it would be down there.  i remember maybe denise had a friend who had gotten pregnant young, and they went down there to have a talk about it in private.

that's my limited recollection from it.  they didn't show claire's work life that much either, but i think there were some scenes of her in court.  it's been decades since i've watched reruns.  it was a true family sitcom in structure and content.

On 1/10/2022 at 6:22 PM, henrygandorf said:

it reminds me of those fan-made trailers when they try to make a drama look like a comedy or vice versa based on music and selected scenes.

That's exactly what this is. 

A fan made a dramatic Fresh Prince trailer in 2019. Wait, wasn't this trailer posted here?

It went viral and got turned into this series. Here's Will telling the fan that his concept got picked up.

Edited by ajax

1 hour ago, RPM said:

pedobear_dance.gif

My daughter used to watch this Disney show called Andi Mack. This guy played the dad.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/tv/tv-news/disney-actor-stoney-westmoreland-underage-sex-case-1171610/

Disney Channel actor Stoney Westmoreland has been charged with six felony counts after authorities said he tried to have sex with a 13-year-old boy.

On 1/10/2022 at 7:27 PM, longhornmatt said:

Are they going to do the inverse and reboot devastating dramas as slapstick comedies?  Like Sophie’s Choice Part 2, and the kid she chooses is like Kevin McCallister in Home Alone assembling booby traps all over Auschwitz so the SS is getting hit with frying pans and stepping on rakes while never being able to catch him?  

i'd watch that.

• 1 month later...