AFC Championship Game: Bengals @ Chiefs, CBS

shadow_operative2.0

• Replies 651
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

6 minutes ago, TurkeyChew said:

I went to the TNF game with Cincy/Jax (the one Urban Meyer got busted at the bar afterwards); and I tell you. I didn't think I was watching a Super Bowl team that night.

Cincinnati went 7-0 vs. the AFC playoff teams this year and lost 2 three point games to NFC playoff teams.  But they are just 6-5 vs. everyone else.

20 minutes ago, Parliament said:

Barrett set a whole buncha records for us.  Haskins did too.  I'm not sure how much better we could have been with Burrow.

Burrow is the best college QB I have ever seen.  He's starting out pretty well in the pros.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, bullet said:

Cincinnati went 7-0 vs. the AFC playoff teams this year and lost 2 three point games to NFC playoff teams.  But they are just 6-5 vs. everyone else.

Yea; down 21 points if memory serves, to Jax, and winning with a walk-off FG. Made for a great night, but definitely didn't leave me thinking I was watching a Super Bowl team. The TE who got hurt today was one of the stars of the show that night.

Just now, bullet said:

Burrow is the best college QB I have ever seen.  He's starting out pretty well in the pros.

Again:  No quarterback drafted number one overall has ever taken his team to the SB in two years. No QB has ever won the Heisman, an MNC and a SB…and Burrow has shot to do it in three fucking years. 

30 minutes ago, Lidig8r said:

uh.... Vince Young?

Burrows had one year at LSU.

What Vince did on the 40 Acres far exceeds Joey at LSU

There is imo no question that VY was the best college QB. Having said that, Joe Burrow is outstandingly brilliant. I get frustrated seeing Sam as a backup to Wentz because he went toe to toe with Burrow that game and had it not been for our doofus coach and all the hideous flopping he would have beaten Joe. He played the best game I’ve seen out of Sam. All he lacks are the physical characteristics. But I am conVINCED Joe Burrow is worth every damn penny of that 1st overall pick. And I remember before the draft all the pundits were saying he should pull an Eli and demand to go elsewhere. And he didn’t. 

Rose did get screwed.  And he continues to be screwed to this day.  

Didn’t realize how much ass Trey Hopkins has been kicking this year as Center for the Bengals.  Since there’s no Longhorns on the Rams, looks like Cincy is our team for the Super Bowl.  He’ll obviously be easy to spot on every play.  We haven’t watched the big game in years but usually just cheered for whichever team had the most Longhorns who stood to win a ring.  Used to be “this team has three, that team has two.”   But our program in such decline, we are lucky to have one in the whole mix.  Still Hopkins was a beast here during the shitty end of Mack’s tenure, hope he gets himself a ring.  Hook ‘Em Hopkins.  

(Cross post from NFC thread):  I have been a fan of the Cowboys my whole life but I just can’t take Jerry and his idiot spawn anymore. I just can’t. Will always root for them but the Bengals over the last two years have really shown that the Jones clan are dumbasses. Get a real GM that can make personnel decisions and stop trying to fucking coach, Jerry,  and I will be back in the fold. Until then my two favorite teams will be the Bengals and the Colts. 

You do realize the Bengals are more family run than even the Cowboys. Mike Brown is the De facto GM, daughter Katie is his version of a Stephen and Charlotte combined. There is no one with the juice of Will McClay.

14 minutes ago, Bevo said:

The Bengals are going to lose. They won't be able to run the ball verses the Rams. It will be low scoring though, so anything could happen.

Aaron Donald and Von Miller will feast on their o-line. If their o-like can hold their own, they have a good chance but I don’t have faith in them

• Hook 'Em 1

15 hours ago, The Ace of Aces said:

Mahomes won’t see another SB without sitting in the stands. 

14 hours ago, Longhornstampede said:

Mahomes=Favre 2.0

Patrick Mahomes is 26 and has been to 4 consecutive AFC Championship games. In those 4 years, he won one Super Bowl and ran into Tom Brady twice. Yesterday was the first bad loss of his NFL career. I don't know, maybe we don't bury him just yet?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

More I think about this game, the more it sinks in just what a huge choke job it was by KC.

The Chiefs averaged 5.8 yards per rush. 5.5 yards per pass. They wouldn’t commit to the run, but they wouldn’t fully commit to the pass either. Well, they fully committed to the pass the last dive in OT when they threw twice to Robinson (only 3 targets on the day).

Obviously mismanaged the game right before half. But the end of regulation was awful too even though it sorta worked. The two Mahomes scrambles should have been a run or two. The stupid RPO on 2nd from the 3 was asinine which made the 3rd down a significantly lower percentage play.

One thing the Rams did massively better than the Chiefs was maintain pass rush lanes. Jones and Donald are somewhat a wash. Ingram and Miller sorta close, but the Chiefs other guys were useless. On the Burrow run in which Jones missed him twice. If the DE on that side does anything, it’s probably a sack.

The Rams should win by 10-14, but McVay/Stafford will do some dumb stuff. McVay can blame his QB all day but 3 points is more than poor QB play in his last SB. And it’s the 2021 playoffs so might as well come down to the end.
  • Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, aggie08 said:

Patrick Mahomes is 26 and has been to 4 consecutive AFC Championship games. In those 4 years, he won one Super Bowl and ran into Tom Brady twice. Yesterday was the first bad loss of his NFL career. I don't know, maybe we don't bury him just yet?

Lulz. Reminds me of all the jagoffs back in week 6 telling me how Herbert is better than Mahomes now.

11 hours ago, bullet said:

I’d take 05 VY over 19 Burrow all day, every day. As talented as that Texas team was, Vince wasn’t exactly throwing to Chase and Jefferson. Nobody I’ve ever seen could consistently make something out of nothing like VY. 

• Hook 'Em 2

7 hours ago, Had Enough said:

The Chiefs averaged 5.8 yards per rush. 5.5 yards per pass. They wouldn’t commit to the run, but they wouldn’t fully commit to the pass either. Well, they fully committed to the pass the last dive in OT when they threw twice to Robinson (only 3 targets on the day).

Obviously mismanaged the game right before half. But the end of regulation was awful too even though it sorta worked. The two Mahomes scrambles should have been a run or two. The stupid RPO on 2nd from the 3 was asinine which made the 3rd down a significantly lower percentage play.

One thing the Rams did massively better than the Chiefs was maintain pass rush lanes. Jones and Donald are somewhat a wash. Ingram and Miller sorta close, but the Chiefs other guys were useless. On the Burrow run in which Jones missed him twice. If the DE on that side does anything, it’s probably a sack.

The Rams should win by 10-14, but McVay/Stafford will do some dumb stuff. McVay can blame his QB all day but 3 points is more than poor QB play in his last SB. And it’s the 2021 playoffs so might as well come down to the end.

not sure what the bungals did to mahommes, but clearly something worked. he was under a 3 man rush multiple times and had nowhere to throw. certainly seems off to me. just my 2 cents but i think the chiefs struggle to make adjustments in the game, but can do so at the half. they are hot and cold. its crazy to see a team that can create so much space for its fast players just completely go cold. 

mcvay is not a great coach in the moment. at least not yet. he was shitting the bed against the niners there at the end. that challenge was like a prayer. eh.

rooting for the bungals, but the mismatch of the rams dline is going to be a massive negative to overcome

not sure what the bungals did to mahommes, but clearly something worked. he was under a 3 man rush multiple times and had nowhere to throw. certainly seems off to me. just my 2 cents but i think the chiefs struggle to make adjustments in the game, but can do so at the half. they are hot and cold. its crazy to see a team that can create so much space for its fast players just completely go cold. 
mcvay is not a great coach in the moment. at least not yet. he was shitting the bed against the niners there at the end. that challenge was like a prayer. eh.
rooting for the bungals, but the mismatch of the rams dline is going to be a massive negative to overcome

Hard to know what changed. If I had to guess the Bengals dared them to run and they wouldn’t. 7/8 in coverage can be difficult if you don’t fully commit to the run or pass. Then it looked like the chiefs figured it out but went to Robinson on 1st and 2nd in OT.

Never would have thought Zac Taylor would have been the most stable, consistent coach in the playoffs.

20 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Well that is true. Herbert is a better QB than Mahomes.

I like Herbert. I like Josh Allen. I like Burrows.  None of them are really hateable.

Oh, and in the AFC you still have Lamar Jackson too.  

With all the handwringing about Brady and soon Rodgers retiring, there are some great QBs up and coming( already killing it.)

Herbert might end up with a better career than Mahomes- yet to be played out. They are 2-2 heads-up, strangely enough with every win coming on the road.  That case certainly hasn't been made yet.  Yeah stats, but big games and big seasons favor Mahomes so far.

2 hours ago, slorch said:

I like Herbert. I like Josh Allen. I like Burrows.  None of them are really hateable.

Oh, and in the AFC you still have Lamar Jackson too.  

With all the handwringing about Brady and soon Rodgers retiring, there are some great QBs up and coming( already killing it.)

Herbert might end up with a better career than Mahomes- yet to be played out. They are 2-2 heads-up, strangely enough with every win coming on the road.  That case certainly hasn't been made yet.  Yeah stats, but big games and big seasons favor Mahomes so far.

AFC has all the awesome young QB’s; NFC has…Love? Hurts? Fields? Lance?

Oy.

Oh, also, there isn’t a “Burrows/Allen/Mahomes/Herbert” type QB in this draft, according to all the experts (grain of salt, I know). 

Edited by TurkeyChew

2 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Oy.

Oh, also, there isn’t a “Burrows/Allen/Mahomes/Herbert” type QB in this draft, according to all the experts (grain of salt, I know). 

Burrow is the only one of those taken in the top 5.  So according the the GMs picking then Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert weren't those type of QBs either.

11 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Burrow is the only one of those taken in the top 5.  So according the the GMs picking then Allen, Mahomes, and Herbert weren't those type of QBs either.

To be fair Josh Allen was taken 7 and if I recall that was a "slippage" from where he was projected and Herbert was drafted #6 overall and Mahomes was a top 10 draft pick at #10.

That said, I'm absolutely sure someone will take a QB in this draft in the top 10, but from everything I've read, that would be a stretch pick because there aren't any "legit" top 10 draft picks like the the 4 QB's I named (Allen, Mahomes, Herbert and Burrow).

Edited by TurkeyChew

3 hours ago, TurkeyChew said:

Oy.

Dak is the only QB in the entire NFC that is within shouting distance of the aforementioned 4 in the AFC. All of the others you mentioned are on teams that are either terrible or about to be.

The AFC of the 2020s is going to be like the AFC of the 70s: one in which John Madden can go 103-32-7 and only get to (and win) 1 Super Bowl.

1 minute ago, GopherRock said:

Dak is the only QB in the entire NFC that is within shouting distance of the aforementioned 4 in the AFC. All of the others you mentioned are on teams that are either terrible or about to be.

The AFC of the 2020s is going to be like the AFC of the 70s: one in which John Madden can go 103-32-7 and only get to (and win) 1 Super Bowl.

Stafford

26 minutes ago, GopherRock said:

Dak sucks compared to those 4 and is also 5 years older than the oldest one. and I'm a Cowboys fan :(