Nuclear/Catastrophe Planning

JesusSweatDuck

2 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

We’ve survived two massive catastrophes in losses to Kansas in the last decade. We’re ready. 

Another scenario in which I just wanted to be vaporized immediately! 

• Haha 1

Vaporized immediately is the way to go if you don't have one of those fallout apartments in the old silos. The whole idea that human life will be exterminated is super stupid though. No one is going to nuke the non nuke countries. The human race will be set back at most a century, but probably not even since all the stuff that has been discovered is well documented. Standing on the shoulders of Giants and whatnot. 

• Hook 'Em 3

19 minutes ago, immamac said:

No one is going to nuke the non nuke countries.

It doesn't really matter. Nuclear winter and fallout will take care of the rest. 

Assuming we're talking about a scenario like Russia and the US hitting each other with hundreds of missiles. 

(I mean - I agree humans wouldn't go extinct - but it would get mad-maxy across the entire world really quickly)

Edited by ztejas
  • Hook 'Em 2

14 minutes ago, ztejas said:

It doesn't really matter. Nuclear winter and fallout will take care of the rest. 

Assuming we're talking about a scenario like Russia and the US hitting each other with hundreds of missiles. 

(I mean - I agree humans wouldn't go extinct - but it would get mad-maxy across the entire world really quickly)

I'm skeptical of the whole "we are going to launch so many nukes everyone here will die a horrible starvation death in 6 months" policy of launching nukes. 

2 minutes ago, immamac said:

I'm skeptical of the whole "we are going to launch so many nukes everyone here will die a horrible starvation death in 6 months" policy of launching nukes. 

Who knows. I do know it was set up that way during the cold war. I wouldn't imagine it's changed much but the US especially has dismantled a lot of its arsenal. 

3 minutes ago, immamac said:

2 people have stopped us from nuclear annihilation. I don't see why others wouldn't do the same to fuck over all of humanity.

1 minute ago, ztejas said:

Who knows. I do know it was set up that way during the cold war. I wouldn't imagine it's changed much but the US especially has dismantled a lot of its arsenal. 

I think that you would follow the line of succession until someone said no more. I don't think you bomb 100 cities or bases at once. It's not MAD to do that. It's literally suicide and a worse death than you are giving them. 

2 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

What are your plans in case of a nuclear strike or massive catastrophe.

We have a couple weeks worth of food and about 400 acres outside of San Saba with a well and generator. What are your plans?  

Harrison Ford Reaction GIF

• Haha 2

Essentially even the smallest nuke dropped on the center of Munich will leave me vaporized, so I guess I will miss the "fallout" of the global nuclear holocaust.

Here you can check your specific location and choose the type of nuke...fun for the whole family!

https://nuclearsecrecy.com/nukemap/

Edited by Shady Ray
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Shady Ray said:

Essentially even the smallest nuke dropped on the center of Munich will leave me vaporized, so I guess I will miss the "fallout" of the global nuclear holocaust.

Here you can check your specific location and choose the type of nuke...fun for the whole family!

Dammit, so many warhead options.  

2 hours ago, immamac said:

Vaporized immediately is the way to go if you don't have one of those fallout apartments in the old silos. The whole idea that human life will be exterminated is super stupid though. No one is going to nuke the non nuke countries. The human race will be set back at most a century, but probably not even since all the stuff that has been discovered is well documented. Standing on the shoulders of Giants and whatnot. 

South/central America and Africa would be largely unharmed. Not sure about Australia but if they aren't launching I doubt anyone launches at them. The rest of us not so good buddy. Pretty much all the white people lands will be destroyed though, pending Australia of course. 

6 minutes ago, Bobby_Batronic said:

The US still has several thousand nuclear weapons. More than enough to properly end humanity. 

Right - I'm saying I'm not sure if the protocols have remained the same as we've worked to disarm a lot of the arsenal (and as we've gotten further and further from the height of Cold War tensions).

Like I said - I'm guessing the by the book response remains similar. If Russia launches a missile at NYC I don't think many Russians are still breathing an hour later. 

Edited by ztejas

5 hours ago, Shady Ray said:

The Bundesliga does need more parity.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Just now, Murfdogg21 said:

planet of the apes GIF

I always thought he never appreciated what he had.  New York is a lot less dirty, crowded, and crime-ridden, and he gets unlimited sex with a woman who can't nag him or whine.  And if she runs away, there are tons of non-nagging women he can choose from.

3 hours ago, Larry T. Spider said:

There was a nuclear “expert” on tv this week making a case for staying home. Went through all the scenarios and it seems like dying in traffic is how a lot of people would meet their fate.

I've had a pretty good life. I have friends and family that love me. I've made a positive difference in this world. I'm happy with the choices I've made. But if I die while stuck in traffic on I-35, I will consider it all for naught.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

What are your plans in case of a nuclear strike or massive catastrophe.

We have a couple weeks worth of food and about 400 acres outside of San Saba with a well and generator. What are your plans?  

I plan on making it to a ranch I've heard about outside of San Saba prior to the owner getting there, blasting the owner when he comes in the door and then subjugating his family and ruling the ranch with an iron fist and gradually over time increasing my rule over the San Saba area instituting a despotic rule based on a very loose moral code across central Texas and make it my personal playground.

In all seriousness - have bug out bags and a goodly supply of food, have a shit ton of bourbon as well.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

47 minutes ago, HornOnTheBayou said:

I've had a pretty good life. I have friends and family that love me. I've made a positive difference in this world. I'm happy with the choices I've made. But if I die while stuck in traffic on I-35, I will consider it all for naught.

Yeah, I'll go with "vaporized immediately with my dog in my lap, having a drink while watching the mushroom cloud go up" versus dying on 10 or 45 trying to get out of Houston. 

Actually just nuke us overnight so I don't even have to have the dread of waiting a few seconds for the blast radius to take me out.  Let me go out sleeping. 

2 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Actually just nuke us overnight so I don't even have to have the dread of waiting a few seconds for the blast radius to take me out.  Let me go out sleeping. 

"Gotdam, did one of the kids turn up the thermostat?"

Edited by South Austin
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

1 hour ago, phdhorn said:

I always thought he never appreciated what he had.  New York is a lot less dirty, crowded, and crime-ridden, and he gets unlimited sex with a woman who can't nag him or whine.  And if she runs away, there are tons of non-nagging women he can choose from.

Also, the virus that made us like her in the movies haven't affected him. Is he going to go mute, or bring back speech?

I mean, if I lived in BFE somewhere, I'd consider having some kind of catastrophe plan.  But as others have alluded, given that I live in a major metropolitan area, and that we're not likely going to be given any considerable advance warning that the warheads are flying, it's going to be pointless making my way out of Austin, so better to hunker down with my loved ones, say my prayers, and crank up some Freedom Rock.

• Hook 'Em 1