RIP William Hurt

Carl Spackler

40 minutes ago, DanRydell said:

He was our neighbor for a bit when he lived here while filming Michael.

Michael rocks. Fight me. Great road trip movie. 

Mr. Brooks is criminally underrated. I blame Dane Cook. The Hurt - Costner scenes are all great. 

The Big Chill is a great movie. One of the better modern "bottle episode" movies out there. 

Probably needed more screen time in a History of Violence, but he was a good reveal as the big bad. 

He probably f***ed around with TV too much, but indies don't pay the bills. 

RIP to a great actor. 

15 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

The Big Chill is a great movie. One of the better modern "bottle episode" movies out there. 

6 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Yeah, I watched it again in the last year and thought it was still awesome.

Imagine making The Big Chill now.  80% of the screen time would be them on their cell phones.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

No way. That sucks. Yeah, Altered States was awesome, Body Heat was hot. Kathleen Turner in her prime and with a nod to a young Ted Danson in a minor role. The Accidental Tourist was also an excellent flick. I haven’t seen that one in ages. Young, quirky Geena Davis. Mrowr.

RIP, Bill. You were always great. 

• Hook 'Em 1

I love Broadcast News.  It takes a confident actor to be willing to take a role where you will be the butt of a lot of dumb blond jokes and try to be the straight man while Albert Brooks and Holly Hunter act circles around you.

He played Hank Paulson in Too Big To Fail, which I thought was the least of the 3 big Great Recession movies (Margin Call and Big Short), but he does an excellent job of plumbing Hank Paulson trying to keep his shit together as the world falls apart. 

RIP

Edited by Bateshorn

9 hours ago, WhatTheBuck said:

That soundtrack album was huge.

But I’m also obligated by contract to add: Fuck Michigan. 😛

I haven't seen in in years.  But yeah, most memorable to me for the soundtrack and the Motown resurgence it caused.  I was too young to appreciate at the time.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

I love Broadcast News.  It takes a confident actor to be willing to take a role where you will be the butt of a lot of dumb blond jokes and try to be the straight man while Albert Brooks and Holly Hunter act circles around you.

He played Hank Paulson in Too Big To Fail, which I thought was the least of the 3 big Great Recession movies (Margin Call and Big Short), but he does an excellent job of plumbing Hank Paulson trying to keep his shit together as the world falls apart. 

RIP

Both of these. 

Broadcast News is definitely dated but still a great film. A lot of us developed our Holly Hunter crush watching that.

And loved him and the rest of the ensemble cast in Too Big To Fail.

• Like 1

Stupid.  I was thinking back on his roles and his sort of understated, patrician (episcopacy, American aristocrat) aura and thought, "he should have been in The Good Shepherd," which is a movie I thoroughly enjoy.

Of course, he was, but a relatively minor role that I had forgotten.

3 hours ago, Bateshorn said:

RIP

Agreed on both counts. Broadcast News is one of the top 10 favorite films of all time. The amazing thing is that it basically predicted where we were going with "newswertainment" in the mid/late 80s.

And yeah he was fantastic as Hank Paulson in Too Big to Fail. "The Big Short" and "Too Big to Fail" make a great double feature. The cool thing is that, in terms of the timeline, Too Big to Fail picks up almost exactly where The Big Short leaves off.

And also agreed that The Big Chill is great. I always loved his timing/delivery of this line when he's in the car with Mary Kay Place leaving the funeral:

MKP: "The last time I spoke with Alex, we had an argument..."

WH: ....[beat]...      "That's probably why he killed himself." :D 

29 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

I read the account from his second wife Sandra Jennings. He routinely beat the fuck out of her. He might have been a fine actor but he was a piece of shit.

Seems to have been kept on the down-low for the most part, but he was apparently a raging alcoholic and drug addict for much of his life.  And some of the reported abusive episodes have been tied to binge drinking/usage by both parties.

I heard an interview with him on NPR from some time back where he very strongly alluded to having participated in AA and conducted meetings in prisons.

Being a drunk is not an excuse, but I'm afraid that abusive behavior like that is fairly common among alcoholics, who wouldn't otherwise do it.

And, apparently, he had been sober for a couple of decades at the time of his death, to the point that he refused narcotic painkillers for treatment of his cancer.

Edited by TwiceHorn

Sorry routinely beating your woman goes beyond drunken and drugged episodes. He beat his women when he was fucked up, and when he was not. I refuse to celebrate celebrities for their art when they are abusive mobsters. He can prepare a place in hell for pederast Woody Allen, child rapist Polanski, and a long list of others.