Flash bang car thieves, police advise against it

crash_davis

tldr: dude had truck broken into 6 times in last 8 weeks. he installs flash bang to surprise the assholes on the 8th time. New Orleans PD advises against it, but I guess what else are they gonna say? 

ngl, i wish it were something more harmful than just a flash bang. severed hand was my hope. Hammurabi would agree.

https://www.knoe.com/2022/04/05/video-man-rigs-flashbang-after-truck-repeatedly-broken-into-new-orleans/

Although he still has to replace his window, he came up with a deterrent that chased away the would-be thief Friday night.

“To see him like gleefully walk up and just smash my eighth window in the past couple months and jump in and then you know to see the detonation go off and his reaction,” the man described.

His broken window stings a little less than the other six times this has happened over the last eight weeks.

“I don’t want this guy to die for what he did, but I don’t want him to just be able to smash and grab and run away,” he said.

Surveillance video shows that the window-smashing thief triggers his loud, non-lethal triggered deterrent set up in the center console of the truck.

“He probably didn’t get hurt that bad, but it wasn’t pleasant and it might deter him and his friends and tell other people not to do this too because, without something like this, there is no consequence because they’re not going to get arrested,” he said.

So his truck has now been broken into 7 times in the last few months. The only difference moving forward is now he has to pay to replace the window and the flashbang. I dunno, maybe move or find some secure garage parking?

Just now, Blotto said:

So his truck has now been broken into 7 times in the last few months. The only difference moving forward is now he has to pay to replace the window and the flashbang. I dunno, maybe move or find some secure garage parking?

he's had to replace the window the previous 6 times. did you see how the fuckhead thief skips up to the truck like a kid getting to pick out candy with his dad. that was not the skip of a dude hitting that truck for the first time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

22 minutes ago, Blotto said:

obviously you haven't lived in New Orleans

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Blotto said:

At least his arm wasn’t ripped off as he was carjacked by a 17 year old out on bail for armed robbery.

3 hours ago, Blotto said:

That's some top notch victim blaming right there.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Just now, GhostRider said:

That's some top notch victim blaming right there.

I'm not blaming him for anything, just making an observation and questioning his reasoning ability. I don't give a fuck if he continues to park there another 10 years and replaces another 120 windows in the process. I'm just saying if it was me, and I had to replace my car window every month, I would look for a solution that actually would stop people from breaking my car window every month. 

Maybe  I would move, maybe I would buy a shitty car, maybe I would hire a meathead to sit in the bed every night to beat the shit out thieves. What I wouldn't do is rig a flashbang that only "trips" after they break my window. That may deter that particular individual from a subsequent attempt, but my guess is there are an awful lot of thieves that will have to learn the hard way before nobody fucks with his truck. 

24 minutes ago, Hate said:

I would support the dude rigging up a guillotine to cut that idiot in half when he reached into the truck. I hate thieves /username checks out

We’d have a much more polite society if we had a bunch of thieves running around with stubs at the wrist.  

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

4 hours ago, immamac said:

The whole thing. Everything and everyone involved here is stupid. 

Depending on the type of flash-bang, it could easily torch his own truck. 

I'm sure his insurance would be happy with that.

4 hours ago, Blotto said:

When I lived in Honolulu, my truck kept getting broken into with the old screwdriver smashed into the lock trick while parked in the garage at work.  I finally took absolutely everything out of it and left it unlocked, and some fucking moron still broke into it again by smashing the lock, which you know, wasn't actually locked.  That really pissed me off.

Shoulda just gotten the BMW Blaster - flamethrower on the side of your car to deter kidnappers burglars.

image.jpeg.7272e70db7d122bebcc67fa51d6d8b1f.jpeg

They were professionally installed, and not just some southern engineered security system.

https://jalopnik.com/a-flamethrower-option-for-your-bmw-was-once-a-totally-r-1547017088

A Flamethrower Option For Your BMW Was Once A Totally Real Thing

It's pretty easy to feel spoiled by car options today. Ass-heaters and coolers, satellite-based navigation, 360° cameras, demote start, and lots more stuff that would have been sci-fi a decade ago are now common. Even so, all those gizmos look like toys compared to an amazing option of the late 90s: a flamethrower.

To be fair, this wasn't really a factory option, and its target market was pretty specific: Johannesburg, South Africa. It was called the Blaster, or sometimes the BMW Blaster, and it was designed in 1998 by Charl Fourie as a reaction against the alarming rates of carjackings in Joburg.

The $650 device was mounted a pair of nozzles under each side of the car, pointing out. The nozzles were fed by tanks of LPG in the trunk, and activated by a combination of a switch and a small foot button placed near the gas pedal. When a driver felt they were in danger of a carjacking, or maybe driving down a road fenced with hot dogs and marshmallows, they'd turn the switch, hit the button, and shoot massive flames out of either side of the car.

The flames are non-lethal, though the inventor does state. "My personal feeling is that it would definitely blind a person. He will never see again."

So, there's that.

The device sold only a few hundred of them before being discontinued, due to poor financial return. It's thought that a number of these are still installed on cars in South Africa, though the carjacking problem, while still one of the worst in the world, isn't nearly as bad as it once was.

I haven't been able to find out exactly why it's called the BMW Blaster — it certainly doesn't seem to be an official BMW factory product, though perhaps it was sold exclusively through BMW dealers. There's no reason why the car this is installed on would need to be a BMW, though that's all it seems to be installed on.

Even if you could find one, I'm pretty sure these would be illegal in the US, unless you could make a really compelling argument that they're for rapid s'more production, or maybe they could be retrofitted for confetti ejection.

The guy is an idiot if he thinks this will actually deter the thieves next time.  Or he has just never known the fearless audacity and sense of invincibility of a teenager doing stupid shit.  His truck probably gets worked over pretty soon for this and they likely don’t stop with just one window.  He’s a bigger target now than he was before.  

“Gee they got me pretty good with that one, I should change my ways,”  said no young criminal ever.  

47 minutes ago, Samson's Wig said:

Username checks out.  Don't want to upset the criminals.  They may be even meaner next time.

Fuck that thief.  Yes the truck owner isn't likely in line for a MacArthur Fellowship, but holy hell we've degenerated as a society to the point where property crime is just laughed at.  It doesn't bode well for our future when generations of jackasses are learning that the easiest way to survive is to steal other people's shit.  When there are absolutely no consequences for bad behavior, we're just paving the way for massive growth of completely useless citizens.  

I have no idea how you read into that a desire to not upset the criminals.  The guy could camp out in his car and blast whoever shows up for all I care.  I’m just saying what he did isn’t going to be the least bit effective, once they realized it was just a flash bang the thieves probably had a bigger laugh about it than we are. 

• Hook 'Em 1

55 minutes ago, Deej said:

Needs to be a way that the entire vehicle becomes electrified when the window breaks and shocks the ever living shit out of the person in contact with the vehicle. 

Might be bad for you during a collision though. 

13 hours ago, Samson's Wig said:

Username checks out.  Don't want to upset the criminals.  They may be even meaner next time.

Fuck that thief.  Yes the truck owner isn't likely in line for a MacArthur Fellowship, but holy hell we've degenerated as a society to the point where property crime is just laughed at.  It doesn't bode well for our future when generations of jackasses are learning that the easiest way to survive is to steal other people's shit.  When there are absolutely no consequences for bad behavior, we're just paving the way for massive growth of completely useless citizens.  

Ever increasing corporate profits at the expense of both consumers and employees combined with inflation and stagnant wages will lead to more desperation and crime. Which will lead to authoritarian rule as the entirely wrong "solution" to the crime will be taken as it's easy to vote for authoritarianism masquerading as security. 

After a few decades of declining crime and relative prosperity we're rapidly sliding down the slope towards this fate now. 

mood GIF

Reminds me of a guy in rural northern VA who got tired of teen boys driving past his house and demolishing his mailbox with a baseball bat as one of 'em leaned out of the vehicle every weekend. The homeowner filled the mailbox with concrete and I don't think the kid appreciated the two severely broken arms the next Friday night he fucked around. The homeowner was prosecuted so things didn't exactly work out great for him, either.

This was like 20 years ago so it probably won't be useful as further proof of the downfall of society.

Reminds me of a guy in rural northern VA who got tired of teen boys driving past his house and demolishing his mailbox with a baseball bat as one of 'em leaned out of the vehicle every weekend. The homeowner filled the mailbox with concrete and I don't think the kid appreciated the two severely broken arms the next Friday night he fucked around. The homeowner was prosecuted so things didn't exactly work out great for him, either.
This was like 20 years ago so it probably won't be useful as further proof of the downfall of society.
What was he charged with?

My God that carjacking story is rage inducing and heartbreaking.

I'm opposed to the death penalty because we convict innocent people of capital crimes every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Absent that not-so-minor problem, I'd support the death penalty for more than just capital crimes.  Those kids should be spit-roasted.

11 minutes ago, Brothahorn said:

What was he charged with?

Pretty sure it was Reckless Endangerment. I don't know if he was convicted. Couldn't find the old article. If he had put in a concrete or brick mailbox there's no way be would have been charged. But he instead filled his standard metal post box with concrete, purposely concealing the danger and knowing what was likely to happen.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Chopper said:

Pretty sure it was Reckless Endangerment. I don't know if he was convicted. Couldn't find the old article. If he had put in a concrete or brick mailbox there's no way be would have been charged. But he instead filled his standard metal post box with concrete, purposely concealing the danger and knowing what was likely to happen.

That is still messed up.  It shouldn't be a crime to endanger criminals violating local, state and federal law on your own property.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, Augustus said:

That is still messed up.  It shouldn't be a crime to endanger criminals violating local, state and federal law on your own property.

It might not be on his property.  If they 're hitting it from the roadway,  it's probably on the easement. That's not technically his property in some cases

• Hook 'Em 1

23 hours ago, Chopper said:

23 hours ago, Augustus said:

3 hours ago, SKJ said:

It might not be on his property.  If they 're hitting it from the roadway,  it's probably on the easement. That's not technically his property in some cases

similar, but much more recent case reached the Ohio Supreme Court last year

Are you telling me a homeowner cannot reinforce their mailbox if they are the victim of repeated vandalism?' Chief Justice Maureen O'Connor asked.

'Yes I am, that's what I'm saying,' attorney St. John responded. [Plaintiff Atty]

Guidelines from the Federal Highway Administration say that Burr's mailbox post was placed too deep in the ground and made of the wrong material, but was not illegal.

'Guidelines do not set forth duty of care, they are just guidelines,' said attorney Doug Leak, who is representing Burr. [Defendant Atty]

'The public has an absolute right to travel on the roadways in a usual and ordinary manner. The moment a motorist veers off that course, that same protection does not extend off the roadway.'  

Ohio voted 5-2 against Plaintiff

Writing for the Court majority, Chief Justice Maureen O’Connor stated the Court has repeatedly ruled political subdivisions, landowners, and others owe a duty of care to drivers if they create hazards that “affect the safety of ordinary travel on the road.” Because Matthew and Diane Burr’s mailbox did not affect the safety of ordinary travel on the regularly traveled portion of Young Road, they are not responsible for the injuries suffered by Cletus Snay, she concluded.

On 4/7/2022 at 1:10 PM, Augustus said:

yeah, I agree but it also creates a danger to a car that swerves off the road for some non-nefarious reason. It could have decapitated granny when she swerved to avoid a kid running out in front of her car.