Realignment talk not going away

The Tower

Just now, Al_4_ISU said:

I don't know.  I don't think so.  Apparently the only reason we play each other is because the legislature made it happen.

It would be bad for the state's economy to have ISU relegated.  If anything, ISU in the Big 10 would raise the stakes of the game, and the idea of having the Nebbish horde invading the state twice a year, or at least annually, would be something that Iowa's legislature would salivate over.

I agree. It would suck to lose ya as a poster though. Big 10 would be the best fit for y’all. 

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Well damn I hope nothing happens. This sucks I was just starting to feel very optimistic about the future of Texas Athletics and here we might fuck everything up.

It is insane to me that anyone could have lived through the last ten years and still have this point of view.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Sbbruin said:

But honestly I don't get the "why" part of it.  Texas and OU have vastly easier paths to the playoffs under the expanded format.  I think it only makes it that much more difficult.  The damage teams will inflict on each other in the loss column would be hard to overcome.  You can't put a 3-4 loss SEC team in a 12 team field.

Probably some stupid shit with television. That is always the Why. It is Why the Big 12 continued to exist after 2010 as well.

2 minutes ago, Zeus said:

Yeah all those SEC schools are so clean and morally upstanding! 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

It is insane to me that anyone could have lived through the last ten years and still have this point of view.

Oh? We are finally getting to the point where we can dominate this league and make it to the NCAA post season consistently. I mean we go the SEC with like 19 other schools we are talking about not just beating OU but everybody else. That will happen maybe three or four times a century. 

How does our lack of success in the past ten years make you think this? Even our best teams of all time would struggle through a gauntlet like that. And not to mention the screwy unbalanced bullshit schedules of super leagues.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Haha 1

Just now, Valmy77 said:

Oh? We are finally getting to the point where we can dominate this league and make it to the NCAA post season consistently. I mean we go the SEC with like 19 other schools we are talking about not just beating OU but everybody else. That will happen maybe three or four times a century. 

What did I miss?

• Haha 4

1 minute ago, Valmy77 said:

Are you from the future?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

Well damn I hope nothing happens. This sucks I was just starting to feel very optimistic about the future of Texas Athletics and here we might fuck everything up.

If this isn't sarcasm, grow some balls and then chop them off again. 

18 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

If I can get way ahead of myself here: 

The Big 12 contracts run until 2025, correct? On the off-chance this actually happened and was announced within the next few weeks, would we really see 4 seasons of a lame duck Big 12 playing out the string with Texas and OU or could we see the the move happen earlier?

I’d imagine we’d buyout with a 2023 start date the the LHN contract gets absorbed by SEC network. 

3 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

This is the epitome of abused Texas fan.

• Haha 1

If this happens, I'll miss the Big XII.  I've enjoyed playing OSU, ISU & KSU and of course renewing the rivalry against TCU even though we've sucked ass since they joined.  Our games with WVU were developing into a fun rivalry and it's going to suck as a fan to not play Tech anymore.

However, the prospect of playing OU, Arky, LSU and those losers from College Station every year...plus the occasional games against Bama, Georgia, Florida, Auburn & Tennessee...you can't pass that up.  That's a LOT of great football.

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

How does our lack of success in the past ten years make you think this? Even our best teams of all time would struggle through a gauntlet like that. And not to mention the screwy unbalanced bullshit schedules of super leagues.

Now imagine that the Alabama program circa 2006 is for some (weird, time travelling related) reason in UT's shoes right now, then consider whether your logic and confident prediction would similarly apply / make sense. Hypothetically, of course.

• Hook 'Em 1

The SEC is getting 2 teams in without Texas or OU in the conference now.  When the CFP expands, they're getting in 3 or 4 or 5 regardless of Texas and OU being in the conference or not, it'll just be aggy, LSU and Florida to go with Alabama and Georgia.

It's not the best conference.  It's ESPN's conference.  But OU doesn't have a problem making the playoffs from the shitty Big 12.  Texas just isn't keeping up its end of the bargain (thanks Chuck and Tom). 

Edited by Js1

23 minutes ago, Hurtlocker said:

Doubt it would exist to join:   

1 would join the ACC

2 would join the B1G

4 would join the P12

1 would join the AAC 

Why would Big 12 schools (other than UT and OU) suddenly become additive to the other P5 leagues in this scenario?

The 8 remaining Big 12 schools could backfill with AAC schools, continue to be elite in basketball, good in Olympics, and they continue to have CFP access.

WVU, Cincy, Mem, ISU, KSU, KU
OSU, Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, Houston

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

$$$$ is the only reason. Culturally and academically, Texas does not fit with backwards ass schools of the sec.

WVU and Tech are ranked worse than any SEC school.  aggy, Georgia, Florida, and Vandy are all ranked higher than any of the Big 12 schools we are currently paired with.

We may not be a perfect match for the SEC, but it's a much better fit than the current orphanage we live in.

(edited to add: academically, we are a perfect fit for the PAC, but that will never happen for all of the reasons that have been covered here at length)

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Hook 'Em 1

Just now, camel at sea said:

Why would Big 12 schools (other than UT and OU) suddenly become additive to the other P5 leagues in this scenario?

The 8 remaining Big 12 schools could backfill with AAC schools, continue to be elite in basketball, good in Olympics, and they continue to have CFP access.

WVU, Cincy, Mem, ISU, KSU, KU
OSU, Tech, SMU, TCU, BU, Houston

No one from that "Big 12" is making the playoffs. That's worse than the Pac 12.