January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

1 hour ago, ChiTownDoc said:

All signs point to the latter.  Just like Rudy.  Then when everyone hates on him publicly he gets more radicalized.  Imo that’s Clarence Thomas now too.  He needs to be removed.  And he probably isn’t the only one on that bench.  That’s the truly scary shit.  

My quick read of it is that he devolved from an asshole (DIA), to a greedy, amoral asshole (after his career was ended by Obama and doing Russian and Turkish things), to a greedy deranged asshole after being indicted and then represented by greedy deranged asshole Sid Powwell.

• Hook 'Em 1

27 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of brain breaking in the last 5-8 years. I don't think it's a coincidence. A confluence of things have just broken a huge segment of people. 

This is what I don't really get and why I have to lay it at the feet of social media.  I don't see any other plausible explanation.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Lots of brain breaking in the last 5-8 years. I don't think it's a coincidence. A confluence of things have just broken a huge segment of people. 

That is part of it. I also think society as a whole is becoming worse at critical thinking. Now, I could write a novel on why that is happening, but it doesn't matter, idiocracy is taking over. And everyone should plan accordingly. 

• Hook 'Em 5

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Social Media is a big chunk. I think the single biggest factor is simply that the speed of evolution, be it technological, societal, cultural...all of it is moving too fast for the human brain to handle. In the background our brains are screaming. It's easy to look at old people and see that most of them seem to bitch about kids these days, how society is crumbling, how it was much better back in their day, etc. That's a symptom. The human brain doesn't always deal well with change, much less rapid change. 

Humanity took thousands and thousands of years to go from hunting and gathering to farming. The society norms and gender roles that guided us since the beginning of time starting being upended in the last half of the 20th century. And yet only in the last 200 years we've gone from a still mostly agrarian culture to the industrial revolution, high-tech industry, technological wonders...from a species that outside of migration was mostly unchanged in major ways from the last tens of thousands of years. Culturally, in only the last 100 year, we've had women's rights, repeal of segregation, gender fluidity, a downturn in religion, and the replacement of actual community to digital community. 

Ignore the fact that old people are ill equipped to handle change. I don't think Humanity is prepared to handle this kind of repaid evolution...of literally everything around us...without our brains crying out in terror. Social Media is just the most obvious influencer. 

Agree and I've actually been saying this for several years.  The advent of the internet has put us in a reality that we aren't equipped to handle.  We aren't supposed to have instant, global communication.  It's too much.  

12 hours ago, NAVY said:

God I hope someone plays along and publicly asks Herschel what years he ran the agency--pre or post football career?   Also, Herschel, what were the biggest challenges you faced running the Secret Service and has it become political?  Which of your degrees helped land you the Director position and how do you feel your MMA and football career contributed to you Directing the Secret Service?  What would you say to college athletes dreaming of playing in the NFL and becoming future Secret Service Directors?  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Social Media is a big chunk. I think the single biggest factor is simply that the speed of evolution, be it technological, societal, cultural...all of it is moving too fast for the human brain to handle. In the background our brains are screaming. It's easy to look at old people and see that most of them seem to bitch about kids these days, how society is crumbling, how it was much better back in their day, etc. That's a symptom. The human brain doesn't always deal well with change, much less rapid change. 

Humanity took thousands and thousands of years to go from hunting and gathering to farming. The society norms and gender roles that guided us since the beginning of time starting being upended in the last half of the 20th century. And yet only in the last 200 years we've gone from a still mostly agrarian culture to the industrial revolution, high-tech industry, technological wonders...from a species that outside of migration was mostly unchanged in major ways from the last tens of thousands of years. Culturally, in only the last 100 year, we've had women's rights, repeal of segregation, gender fluidity, a downturn in religion, and the replacement of actual community to digital community. 

Ignore the fact that old people are ill equipped to handle change. I don't think Humanity is prepared to handle this kind of repaid evolution...of literally everything around us...without our brains crying out in terror. Social Media is just the most obvious influencer. 

Social media isn't readily monitored/regulated because freedom of press/speech, along with foreign influence and algorithms plugged into personal bias, makes the internet toxic to society.  But again, we have to willingly choose this.  The same device can actually distribute answers and sources if asked, which is the bias. The olds may not be able to type fast or access all their phones technology features, but they can read--they choose not to.    

4 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

A confluence of a black president.

Racially motivated bias.  If asked point blank--do you think affordable education, increased development of alternative fuels/technologies and affordable healthcare should be developed/implemented, they'd most likely agree.   Then why are they considered radical and why would you vote against them?  I'd guarantee they'd have few problems with the majority of the platform.  Legislating relationships, women's bodies, and religion isn't small government so that's not it either.   It's racial bias--always has been.

• Hook 'Em 1

56 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

5 minutes ago, A-Tex Devil said:

A confluence of a black president.

BINGO.

I just finished reading "The Fourth Turning" - the thesis being the Strauss-Howe generational theory, summary below:

The Strauss–Howe generational theory, devised by William Strauss and Neil Howe, describes a theorized recurring generation cycle in American history and global history. According to the theory, historical events are associated with recurring generational personas (archetypes). Each generational persona unleashes a new era (called a turning) lasting around 20–25 years, in which a new social, political, and economic climate (mood) exists. They are part of a larger cyclical "saeculum" (a long human life, which usually spans between 80 and 100 years, although some saecula have lasted longer). The theory states that a crisis recurs in American history after every saeculum, which is followed by a recovery (high). During this recovery, institutions and communitarian values are strong. Ultimately, succeeding generational archetypes attack and weaken institutions in the name of autonomy and individualism, which eventually creates a tumultuous political environment that ripens conditions for another crisis.

The Fourth Turning was published in 1996, when we were in an "unraveling" period.  By their estimation, we were set to enter a "crisis" period around 2006, to last for 20-ish years.  As we are already in this "crisis" period, I think that looking back, we can tie the beginning of it to.....yep, the election of a black president.  That was a point-of-no-return for a huge chunk of American society.  They lost all touch with reality (birtherism reigned, etc.).  The kind of thinking that ends up with Q-anon, and the Big Lie -- and the ways to disseminate that nuttery broadly -- were born when Obama was running for POTUS.

Steve Bannon fucking LOVES Strauss-Howe theory.  He and many like him want to accelerate the crisis so they can control the next era.  And right now, they are winning.  I'd much prefer it if decent, sane Americans realized that we are genuinely in a war for the soul and future of this Republic -- if there is even to be one -- and start fucking acting like it.  This is our WWII, except the fascist enemy is literally next door.

• Hook 'Em 4

11 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

BINGO.

I just finished reading "The Fourth Turning" - the thesis being the Strauss-Howe generational theory, summary below:

The Fourth Turning was published in 1996, when we were in an "unraveling" period.  By their estimation, we were set to enter a "crisis" period around 2006, to last for 20-ish years.  As we are already in this "crisis" period, I think that looking back, we can tie the beginning of it to.....yep, the election of a black president.  That was a point-of-no-return for a huge chunk of American society.  They lost all touch with reality (birtherism reigned, etc.).  The kind of thinking that ends up with Q-anon, and the Big Lie -- and the ways to disseminate that nuttery broadly -- were born when Obama was running for POTUS.

Steve Bannon fucking LOVES Strauss-Howe theory.  He and many like him want to accelerate the crisis so they can control the next era.  And right now, they are winning.  I'd much prefer it if decent, sane Americans realized that we are genuinely in a war for the soul and future of this Republic -- if there is even to be one -- and start fucking acting like it.  This is our WWII, except the fascist enemy is literally next door.

Still requires minority buy in, disenfranchisement for opposition, and apathy.  

1 minute ago, Mdhorn said:

Still requires minority buy in, disenfranchisement for opposition, and apathy.  

Ummmm.....I believe we've checked all those boxes.  We're being run by a minority party that is doing all it can to disenfranchise or render irrelevant opposition votes, and the level of energy to oppose them is.....pretty close to zero.

• Hook 'Em 1

Is there a strong D candidate? Az feels like what everyone wishes Texas would become....a state that may go from solidly Red to solidly Blue in a decade or so due to demographic shifts. Seems like the D's biggest problem might be that it's happening so fast they haven't built a deep enough bench. 

Agree and I've actually been saying this for several years.  The advent of the internet has put us in a reality that we aren't equipped to handle.  We aren't supposed to have instant, global communication.  It's too much.  

Yep and we aren’t equipped to “know” so many people.
  • Drool 1

3 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

That is part of it. I also think society as a whole is becoming worse at critical thinking. Now, I could write a novel on why that is happening, but it doesn't matter, idiocracy is taking over. And everyone should plan accordingly. 

It's oversimplified, but I thought "The Death of Truth" puts an interesting spin on some of this stuff.   I find it almost healthy and refreshing that lots of the blame is heaped on the deconstructionists and the Left-- how their intellectual preciousness has been co-opted, in brutal ways, and turned into a sledgehammer by the idiots on the Right.

I don't think there is anyway to remain sane throughout by not remaining brutally self critical about ones on beliefs and more importantly, one's canonical and knee jerk solutions to all of our problems.

bd9b189926607499ccc01768afef861e225a42d5

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

It's oversimplified, but I thought "The Death of Truth" puts an interesting spin on some of this stuff.   I find it almost healthy and refreshing that lots of the blame is heaped on the deconstructionists and the Left-- how their intellectual preciousness has been co-opted, in brutal ways, and turned into a sledgehammer by the idiots on the Right.

I don't think there is anyway to remain sane throughout by not remaining brutally self critical about ones on beliefs and more importantly, one's canonical and knee jerk solutions to all of our problems.

bd9b189926607499ccc01768afef861e225a42d5

I have seen some things alluding to the left squandering the opportunity presented by the fall of the Soviet Union, and the lack, then, of a "national enemy," but without much elaboration on exactly what that means.  Maybe this is it.

1 minute ago, TwiceHorn said:

I have seen some things alluding to the left squandering the opportunity presented by the fall of the Soviet Union, and the lack, then, of a "national enemy," but without much elaboration on exactly what that means.  Maybe this is it.

Haven't read the book, but my guess would be that the argument is more about the intellectual left's development of postmodernist thinking and how it got appropriated and twisted by reactionary forces on the right.

• Hook 'Em 2

Just now, wildcat09 said:

Haven't read the book, but my guess would be that the argument is more about the intellectual left's development of postmodernist thinking and how it got appropriated and twisted by reactionary forces on the right.

Good hypothesis.  Unrestrained moral relativism opened the door to unrestrained factual relativism.  If there is no foundational moral truth, then there is no foundational factual truth......which the GQP has used to their incredible advantage, and our collective disadvantage.

If the lies  of "we are in grave danger from fire breathing dragons!" is paired with the lie of "and only WE can save you from fire breathing dragons!" are treated as truths, then a response of "wait....there are no fucking dragons, they don't exist!" might as well be pissing into the wind.  We've lost before we've even taken the field.

Donald Trump is the savior of America because he is the savior of America, and everyone who opposes him in any way is a godless communist muslim terrorist pedophile baby blood drinker who committed crimes on Hunter Biden's laptop in a pizza parlor, and Trump won the election because there was lots of bigly fraud, with millions of votes and lots of mules and an Italian satellite.....these are all TRUE in the post-fact world.  You cannot refute them, you cannot argue against them, and you sure can't convince someone to act as if those things WEREN'T true, because to them, they are as true as the sun rising in the east, water being wet, and OU sucking.  Your arguments against them sound as absurd as if you argued "but....the sun actually rises in the west."  They can only conclude that YOU are the crazy one.

That's what we're dealing with.  Got any clues how to overcome it?  Yeah.  Me neither.  In a world where the only accepted currency is lies, the only possible path to winning is to tell better lies, but if your goal is to....not have a Republic built on lies....well then, we've already lost.  Bigly.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, wildcat09 said:

That's how I read it.  The postmodernist approach was obsessed with the idea that there was no objective truth.  Everyone had their own subjective truth.  Since truth didn't matter, the Right created a violent grievance culture designed to react immediately to threats (BLM) and their reaction is fierce, uniform, and absolutely unconcerned with factual truth.  Because all that matters is their subjective grievance. 

By creating intellectual attempts that arguably attempt to find the nature of truth (deconstruction/CRT), the Left has given license to the Right, in the idea that true objective truth is likely unattainable, to not give a shit at all about the search for truth.

1 hour ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

Is there a strong D candidate? Az feels like what everyone wishes Texas would become....a state that may go from solidly Red to solidly Blue in a decade or so due to demographic shifts. Seems like the D's biggest problem might be that it's happening so fast they haven't built a deep enough bench. 

Kelli Ward is putting out a great effort again to get the worst R candidates in AZ.

AZ Dems will be putting up in all likelihood, Katie Hobbs, the current Secretary of State as Governor and Mark Kelly for Senator. Two huge names at the top of the ticket. They are attempting to pick Kari Lake as their opponent in November. Lake has a history of donations to Obama, has rejected a very easy to verify familial relationship with a well known drag queen in town after charging hard on social issues (Barbra Seville- side note I got to shotgun a High Noon with Barbra at her Drag Queen Bingo in Scottsdale after winning, NBD). She was also a pretty straightforward newscaster for 20+ years in the area before going off the deep end. AZ Dems are paying for ads for the one “normal” Republican, Karin Robson, thanking her for donating to Democrats just two years ago in attempt to cut her support.

Redistricting in AZ makes note of competitive districts and was done by an independent committee. Just like in 2020, the Dems have an opportunity for a trifecta flip in state government to D. I haven’t seen anything in the Secretary of State website that shows a huge bump in overall voter registration(9k at most), but anecdotally nobody I’ve met here is a native. Everyone’s from Chicago, San Diego and then other Midwest places. Maybe there will be a bump before the General Election.

21 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

That's how I read it.  The postmodernist approach was obsessed with the idea that there was no objective truth.  Everyone had their own subjective truth.  Since truth didn't matter, the Right created a violent grievance culture designed to react immediately to threats (BLM) and their reaction is fierce, uniform, and absolutely unconcerned with factual truth.  Because all that matters is their subjective grievance. 

By creating intellectual attempts that arguably attempt to find the nature of truth (deconstruction/CRT), the Left has given license to the Right, in the idea that true objective truth is likely unattainable, to not give a shit at all about the search for truth.

CRT was made up, same as others.  It wasn't a functioning anything but the right creates their own boogyman--tan suit out front.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, The Dog said:

(SIAP not wading through a shitshow)

That gives you a glimpse of how interstate subpoenas work.  Georgia judge sent subpoena to NY judge, who ordered Giuliani to show cause why the subpoena should not be honored.  Rudy no-showed, so the judge enforced the Georgia subpoena as-written.

That Rudy failed to show and contest the subpoena initially ought to foreclose any other bullshit about not complying (like a federal suit), but may not.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Mdhorn said:

CRT was made up, same as others.  It wasn't a functioning anything but the right creates their own boogyman--tan suit out front.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Critical_race_theory

The right misrepresented that CRT was being taught in grade schools. 

CRT wasn't made up, just like Critical Legal Studies wasn't "made up". 

17 minutes ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

Thank you.  CRT may or may not be the most sound approach to studying racism and its effects in the US, but it wasn't "made up".  However, it was used as a tool by the right to scare up more outrage.

41 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

That gives you a glimpse of how interstate subpoenas work.  Georgia judge sent subpoena to NY judge, who ordered Giuliani to show cause why the subpoena should not be honored.  Rudy no-showed, so the judge enforced the Georgia subpoena as-written.

That Rudy failed to show and contest the subpoena initially ought to foreclose any other bullshit about not complying (like a federal suit), but may not.

So what happens when he doesn't show, anyway?  Furrowed brows?

8 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

A warrant will issue for his arrest and he will be physically dragged before the grand jury.  And, he will be punished by the Georgia court for contempt of court.

Edited by TwiceHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

11 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

A warrant will issue for his arrest and he will be physically dragged before the grand jury.  And, he will be punished by the Georgia court for contempt of court.

He's gonna show - if there's one thing these guys are afraid of it's jail time. 

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, wildcat09 said:

What is post-modern conservativism?

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

One of my favorite questions to get GQP types sputtering. "Tell me what CRT is in your own words. Are there textbooks that teach it? Can you point me to one?"

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, The Original Greaser Bob said:

My wife teaches in the district that is ground 0 for where the controversy was and they were clueless about CRT.  In her case, it's middle school.  I had never heard of it prior and believe it to be a college offering. I laughed out loud when driving in Kitty Hawk North Carolina and seeing a large business sign labeled CRT.  Talk about an unfortunate turn of events.

Edited by Mdhorn

Now that I completely distrust the Secret Service, I came across this article on the spokesperson.  Seems he has some experience covering up for corrupt law enforcement.

The Secret Service spokesperson defending the agency’s deleted Jan 6. texts previously misled reporters about the police cover-up on Laquan McDonald’s killing | Media Matters for America

Spoiler

This is not the first time Guglielmi has argued that the suspicious disappearance of crucial evidence whose emergence could have hurt the credibility of his employer was simply due to a technical snafu. In a similar role with the Chicago Police Department, he previously claimed that missing audio from five different police dashcam videos that recorded the notorious 2014 police killing of Laquan McDonald was due to “software issues or operator error.”

Spoiler

Guglielmi furiously denied the report on Twitter, taking issue with what he claimed were “categorically false claims,” and later issued a statement arguing that the mass deletion of Secret Service texts was not undertaken “maliciously” but rather as part of a preplanned replacement of staff cell phones. Then on Tuesday, The Washington Post reported that after the January 6 select committee issued a subpoena for Secret Service communications during that period, the agency “determined it has no new texts to provide Congress relevant to its Jan. 6 investigation, and that any other texts its agents exchanged around the time of the 2021 attack on the Capitol were purged.” That mass deletion reportedly occurred after Congress repeatedly asked the agency to preserve its records related to the January 6 insurrection.

Reporters attempting to assess Guglielmi’s credibility should consider Guglielmi’s past work as top spokesperson at the Chicago Police Department, where he worked from 2015 to 2020, according to his LinkedIn profile. Guglielmi was in that role when the city was compelled to release dashcam videos of the police killing of McDonald, a 17-year-old Black youth who was shot 16 times by Jason Van Dyke, a white police officer. The video disproved Van Dyke’s claim that he fired because McDonald was threatening him with a knife, and the officer was later found guilty of second-degree murder and 16 counts of assault.

But that video — and videos taken from the dashcams of four other police cars present at the scene of McDonald’s killing — lacked audio. That means that the sounds of the bullets Van Dyke fired, as well as any and all conversations he had with other officers on the scene after McDonald was killed, were lost.

Why would all five videos of a police killing be missing sound? Guglielmi explained to reporters at the time that there was nothing suspicious about it. “As with any technology, at times software issues or operator error may keep the cameras from operating as they normally should," he told The Associated Press in December 2015.

Experts told the AP that “they could not imagine how an entire fleet of cars would ever lose audio at the same time and place by mere happenstance” and called the missing sound a “red flag.” 

The experts’ suspicions were validated. As Chicago reporters followed up on the story over the following weeks, they discovered that CPD dashcam videos habitually lacked audio — including in the recordings of 22 different police shootings that year. Guglielmi himself acknowledged that “more than 80 percent of the cameras have non-functioning audio ‘due to operator error or, in some cases, intentional destruction,’” the Chicago Sun-Times reported. 

That was the case with regard to the McDonald videos. The dashcam in Van Dyke’s squad car appeared to have been repeatedly sabotaged, according to a review of police maintenance records by DNAInfo Chicago. And four officers present that night were ultimately suspended over the dashcam issue after an investigation reportedly determined they had tried to “withhold and shield video evidence establishing what actually transpired between Van Dyke and McDonald.”

The Justice Department later assessed “officers’ efforts to conceal by mishandling video and audio equipment or by retaliating against civilians who witness misconduct” as part of its investigation of the CPD in the wake of McDonald’s killing. 

“Not until the public release of the McDonald shooting video—captured on only two of the five car cameras and excluding all related audio—has CPD made much effort to ensure that cameras and microphones entrusted to officers are working properly and are not tampered with,” the DOJ’s final report stated. “Shortly after our investigation began, the CPD Superintendent warned beat officers that they would be disciplined for failure to follow proper dash-cam protocol. The reminder that officers should follow this policy was probably needed: prior to the McDonald case, it is hard to find any inquiry into the suspicious failure of most of CPD vehicles’ dash-cams."

Bottom line, the secret service needs an enema to purge itself of the dirty shit inside.

2 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

Yeah, that motherfucker is scary.

Scary in a really dumbass, drunk frat bro sort of way.  A way that used to signal complete impotence in America.  Not no mo.

It really is sad that we these absolute nutjobs can now garner enough power and influence to be legitimately scary and not just a laughingstock. We shouldn't have to take this dipshit seriously, but alas...

• Rage+1 1