January 6th Committee Hearings Thread of Dominance

Longhorn_Fan68

4 minutes ago, PhillyD said:

I think there needs to be a huge purge and I know that must be a gargantuan task.  I also realize that finding qualified people to do all of those jobs would be a massive undertaking and you can't just abolish and expect things to run as normal.  However, a lot of heads need to roll.  Someone mentioned upthread that maybe some pensions need to go missing until those texts are found and that sums up how I feel about it.  Some high ranking (and probably quite a few low-ranking) officials need to sit in a jail cell as an example on this one.  Those lost messages are completely unacceptable, and I no longer trust that agency.  I'm not sure it can recover my trust.

Govt IT requires least privilege and separation of duties expressly for this scenario. Insider threat is a massive focal point for IT depts since Snowden, so layered defense has been mandatory for a while. There should be a pretty clear cut paper trail of someone requesting exceptions to policy to make this happen. This essentially can’t be negligence unless the SS has been operating well outside of govt norms for a while. 

• Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

It’s kind of shocking to me how many Americans are shocked that The Secret Service is full of shitty fascist assholes.

They’re just fancy cops after all.

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t full of shitty fascist assholes.

How many are members of the Oath Keepers?

18 minutes ago, Bama Chick said:

It’s kind of shocking to me how many Americans are shocked that The Secret Service is full of shitty fascist assholes.

They’re just fancy cops after all.

I’d be shocked if it wasn’t full of shitty fascist assholes.

Shitty Fascist Assholes is the name of my punk band.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

Disturbing train of thoughts in my head today...

So, too many cops in this country are fascist thugs.

Apparently a lot of Secret Service are, too, which should surprise no one, as noted upthread.

Many (most?) law enforcement members and Secret Service are former military.

So...  Exactly how big is the fascist problem in our military?  And how far up the chain of command do these fascist types go?  How afraid do we need to be of our own military when a Republican president refuses (and I mean really refuses) to leave office, in say 2028 or 2032, or simply decides to start using the military or National Guard to do some unsavory shit, like round up and deport all the Muslims, for example?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, TexArcher said:

Disturbing train of thoughts in my head today...

So, too many cops in this country are fascist thugs.

Apparently a lot of Secret Service are, too, which should surprise no one, as noted upthread.

Many (most?) law enforcement members and Secret Service are former military.

So...  Exactly how big is the fascist problem in our military?  And how far up the chain of command do these fascist types go?  How afraid do we need to be of our own military when a Republican president refuses (and I mean really refuses) to leave office, in say 2028 or 2032, or simply decides to start using the military or National Guard to do some unsavory shit, like round up and deport all the Muslims, for example?

image.gif.7db1de5b68790db101150463a447673a.gif

3 hours ago, PhillyD said:

I think there needs to be a huge purge and I know that must be a gargantuan task.  I also realize that finding qualified people to do all of those jobs would be a massive undertaking and you can't just abolish and expect things to run as normal.  However, a lot of heads need to roll.  Someone mentioned upthread that maybe some pensions need to go missing until those texts are found and that sums up how I feel about it.  Some high ranking (and probably quite a few low-ranking) officials need to sit in a jail cell as an example on this one.  Those lost messages are completely unacceptable, and I no longer trust that agency.  I'm not sure it can recover my trust.

You only need to harshly penalize a few people to get everyone's attention.  Think of it as retirement pension Russian roulette.  If everyone knows at least someone who loses their chance to retire to Florida at age 53 and will wind up as an Uber driver until their paltry social security kicks in there will shock waves.  

• Hook 'Em 2

2 hours ago, kevwun said:

The one plus for Biden is that he dealt with them on a daily basis for 8 years, so he has at least some people there he can trust.

And all of them would’ve been demoted by Trump in favor of agents who were loyal to him. They wouldn’t have been part of his detail. Trump politicized every institution and loyalty took precedence over experience and competence.

• Rage+1 1

1 hour ago, TexArcher said:

So...  Exactly how big is the fascist problem in our military?  And how far up the chain of command do these fascist types go? 

From my oldest, best friend, an active duty colonel in the AF:  Top brass is surprisingly anti-Trump and anti-bullshit.  The farther down you go, the more it equalizes, but on the whole I wouldn't expect the military to be fully half-fascist.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

From my oldest, best friend, an active duty colonel in the AF:  Top brass is surprisingly anti-Trump and anti-bullshit.  The farther down you go, the more it equalizes, but on the whole I wouldn't expect the military to be fully half-fascist.

So, the most educated dislike Trump, the less educated favor Trump?  

2r4qv7.jpg

5 minutes ago, Gil Bang said:

So, the most educated dislike Trump, the less educated favor Trump?  

Well, sorta, but he says you'd be surprised how big a fraction of the rank and file dislike Trump.  I mean, it's one observation, and although he interacts with other branches (served in Falujah, just finished up at the Army War College), it is the (Ch)Air Force.  He might not be getting a complete reading of those in service.

17 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Well, sorta, but he says you'd be surprised how big a fraction of the rank and file dislike Trump.  I mean, it's one observation, and although he interacts with other branches (served in Falujah, just finished up at the Army War College), it is the (Ch)Air Force.  He might not be getting a complete reading of those in service.

The Air Force Academy, located in the holy city of Colorado Springs, has been a proving ground for christofascists for a couple of decades now.

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Rage+1 2

4 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

Yes.  But let's cogitate on that for a moment.

The POTUS has to be thoughtful about which SS agents he can trust, vs those who may be supportive of a violent coup attempt to overthrow the government.

Just like that, we became a shithole country with palace intrigue and insiders willing to take down the government and install their chosen leader.   That fact-pattern is somethign we're used to seeing in sub-saharan Africa, Latin America, etc.  Not here, the "shining city on a hill" of democracy.

But we are a shining city on a hill we are a Christian nation!!! 

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

Your typical rank-and-file service members that are doing an enlistment or two and probably not going to be career, usually only care about getting laid and getting paid.  Or getting paid and getting laid.

Edited by atomheartbevo

44 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Actually, anecdotally, the Air Force has something of a christofascist problem in the officer corps.  See, e.g. Doug Collins.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

The shitting on Gold Star families, Vietnam POWs, etc., as well as the general disdain he has for the military, including ducking out at the WWI ceremony and trying to force the military to give him a parade, did not endear them to him.

When I was in during the early/mid 90s, we still had plenty of Vietnam vets in the senior ranks, and wow did they loathe Clinton because of that.

And I’ve heard from friends that are still in, or recently retired, that some still look down at him over the draft dodging.   I would think that wouldn’t be a thing anymore, but apparently it is amongst some.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Have a friend who retired from the Army  in 2020 as a Colonel, West Point that whole bit.  

I think that he would echo the sentiment your buddy expresses. Most of the educated brass know he’s a dipshit and couldn’t stand to see his dumb ass picture on their base walls. Farther down the line there is more Trumpiness but there is also a lot of Trump hate. 

1 hour ago, bolverk said:

The Air Force Academy, located in the holy city of Colorado Springs, has been a proving ground for christofascists for a couple of decades now.

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

Actually, anecdotally, the Air Force has something of a christofascist problem in the officer corps.  See, e.g. Doug Collins.

Yep.  Air Force has some serious problems.  I'm sure there's a reason why.  Seemed like it was mostly an officer problem (and not just the Academy).

I don't know what might pervade the Air Force, I was possibly presumptive.  My buddy didn't join until he was made a Major in his 40s because of his medical background.  (Long story, kinda funny, not really relevant.)  What I've related is what he has said -- he sees the military as generally a pretty mixed bag when it comes to political backgrounds.

I think it’s pretty ballsy of the top brass in the SS to lie about the intentional destruction of text message when even the casual observer knows they’re lying. Leaving it up to individual officers to self report relevant text message is an obvious scam. I hope they’re not able to get away with it.

Anyone who thinks the military as a whole would support a hostile takeover is as crazy as the Q folks.  Just because a lot of people have wet dreams over stupid shit doesn’t make it plausible. 
Now, that’s not gonna lure anyone off the ledge.  These assholes have plenty of lunatics planted in positions to do more than enough damage.  Like on the President’s 6.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Sooooo, supposed the Republicans take back the house in November. In January, they get to elect a new House Speaker, and have suggested Trump as the guy. If that were to happen, he would be third in line for the Presidency, if something were to happen to Biden and Harris at the same time. Now suppose the people coordinating security for them were to make some mistakes, and leave them vulnerable...

Ahhhh nevermind, that sounds crazy enough to be a Clancy novel.

Sooooo, supposed the Republicans take back the house in November. In January, they get to elect a new House Speaker, and have suggested Trump as the guy. If that were to happen, he would be third in line for the Presidency, if something were to happen to Biden and Harris at the same time. Now suppose the people coordinating security for them were to make some mistakes, and leave them vulnerable...
Ahhhh nevermind, that sounds crazy enough to be a Clancy novel.

Which Congressional seat is Trump running for again?
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

Which Congressional seat is Trump running for again?

You would think it would be a requirement that the Speaker be a current rep, but it's actually not in the rules. Anyone can be nominated for it, and the super MAGAs in the House have said they will nominate him. Whether or not he will win it is another question.  

56 minutes ago, Dutchrudder said:

You would think it would be a requirement that the Speaker be a current rep, but it's actually not in the rules. Anyone can be nominated for it, and the super MAGAs in the House have said they will nominate him. Whether or not he will win it is another question.  

He wouldn’t want it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Sounds like it is time to strip the Secret Service from the Department of Homeland Security unless they investigate and fire the people responsible.  Return it to the Treasury Department or I am sure the FBI would be happy to take it over or the DoJ which houses the Marshal service. Actually, just breaking up Homeland Security would be a good idea with all the issues they have had over the years. That was another Bush presidency mistake.

• Hook 'Em 8
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

Anyone who thinks the military as a whole would support a hostile takeover is as crazy as the Q folks.  Just because a lot of people have wet dreams over stupid shit doesn’t make it plausible. 
Now, that’s not gonna lure anyone off the ledge.  These assholes have plenty of lunatics planted in positions to do more than enough damage.  Like on the President’s 6.  

The fact that Michael Flynn made it up to 3 star is indicative of a huge problem, IMO. I really doubt a guy just wakes up one morning and decides to go as far off the deep end as he is. 

Hell, the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs matched his ass through Lafayette Square with Trump like a thug. Biden should have fired him on day one. 

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, Jhawkmvp said:

Sounds like it is time to strip the Secret Service from the Department of Homeland Security unless they investigate and fire the people responsible.  Return it to the Treasury Department or I am sure the FBI would be happy to take it over or the DoJ which houses the Marshal service. Actually, just breaking up Homeland Security would be a good idea with all the issues they have had over the years. That was another Bush presidency mistake.

Party of small government!

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tokamak said:

The fact that Michael Flynn made it up to 3 star is indicative of a huge problem, IMO. I really doubt a guy just wakes up one morning and decides to go as far off the deep end as he is. 

Hell, the current Chairman of the Joint Chiefs matched his ass through Lafayette Square with Trump like a thug. Biden should have fired him on day one. 

I don’t think Milley realized ahead of time that he was being used as a political prop. At least he admitted his mistake in an address to the troops afterward and apologized.

• Hook 'Em 3

3 hours ago, tokamak said:

There’s plenty of people that become bozos after their prime years.  See Giuliani, Rudy.  Even if prime clown Flynn was in the military he isn’t pulling off shit.  Again, one offs, sure but you’re talking the entire military supporting a coup.  That’s absurd.  

• Hook 'Em 2

44 minutes ago, ChiTownDoc said:

There’s plenty of people that become bozos after their prime years.  See Giuliani, Rudy.  Even if prime clown Flynn was in the military he isn’t pulling off shit.  Again, one offs, sure but you’re talking the entire military supporting a coup.  That’s absurd.  

Buddy let me tell you, the best way to stop fascists isn't to rest on your laurels saying "there's no way they'll do exactly what they're saying they'll do!" It's not about the ENTIRE MILITARY, just like how it's not about controlling all of Congress. 

If you don't care about good faith or justice or laws, then it's much easier to exploit and weaponize systems to realize your goals. If they can gum up the system enough, a small minority can seize near complete control during the deadlock. 

We all thought there was no way for the republican party to be co-opted completely by a philandering rapist real estate failure, but here we are. Still dealing with the fallout. 

Edited by Captainant
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 minute ago, Captainant said:

Buddy let me tell you, the best way to stop fascists isn't to rest on your laurels saying "there's no way they'll do exactly what they're saying they'll do!" It's not about the ENTIRE MILITARY, just like how it's not about controlling all of Congress. 

If you don't care about good faith or justice or laws, then it's much easier to exploit and weaponize systems to realize your goals. If they can gum up the system enough, a small minority can seize near complete control during the deadlock. 

We all thought there was no way for the republican party to be co-opted completely by a philandering rapist real estate failure, but here we are. Still dealing with the fallout. 

Who said I didn’t care?  I’m all about throwing the book at these people.  Does mypillow guy give a ‘buddy, don’t rest on your laurels thinking the commies aren’t coming for you!’ speech when people say his Trump is gonna be reappointed in 2 weeks speech is moronic?  If he does, does it really make his point any less stupid?

4 hours ago, tokamak said:

I'd be interested to read some sort of personal history of Flynn.  He must either have kept his insane political and personal "convictions" deeply under wraps for decades, because Obama appointed him head of DIA.  Either that, or his brain broke sometime around the 2016 Presidential campaign.

17 minutes ago, TwiceHorn said:

I'd be interested to read some sort of personal history of Flynn.  He must either have kept his insane political and personal "convictions" deeply under wraps for decades, because Obama appointed him head of DIA.  Either that, or his brain broke sometime around the 2016 Presidential campaign.

All signs point to the latter.  Just like Rudy.  Then when everyone hates on him publicly he gets more radicalized.  Imo that’s Clarence Thomas now too.  He needs to be removed.  And he probably isn’t the only one on that bench.  That’s the truly scary shit.  

Edited by ChiTownDoc
  • Hook 'Em 6