Active shooter thread

Hugo Stiglitz

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Just don't come to me looking to raise my taxes to pay for federally funded rehab centers

Yeah, cause rehab centers are gonna be so much more expensive than the war on drugs, and putting millions of people in prison.

You, sir, are a doofus.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

Good job stereotyping asshole, I have one 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun that I haven't used in at least fifteen years.

What's so dumb about comparing gun control to the war on drugs?  How did making stiffer penalties for drug usage and possession decrease the use of drugs in this country?  How did mandated federal sentencing guidelines work to solve that problem? There are two types of people in this world.  Those that follow the laws and those that don't.  More laws only affects the behavior of those that do follow laws.  They do not affect the behavior of people who don't follow laws.  If this problem is going to get solved someone will have to find a way to change the behavior of people who don't follow the law.  Politicians don't do that, if anyone is going to do it it is going to be societies and civilizations in general.

There's certainly not just those two types of people in the world.  That's a very naive take on the world and humanity in general.  And I think JimmyJames' post went over your head.

Not to oversimplify the issue, but a drug addict's drug of choice fills an insatiable need that leads to compulsive and irrational behavior to placate that need.  The same way that you will find a way to sleep when you get tired enough, eat when you're hungry enough, or fight to get above water when you can't hold your breath any longer, a drug addict will do whatever it takes to get their fix until they find recovery.  That is why the prohibition of drugs and alcohol is ineffective.  If tomorrow the government made a law that the possession and consumption of food is illegal, you would become the type of person who doesn't follow laws.  Now you might be thinking that comparing using drugs to eating is ridiculous, but it's not to an addict whose brain has been wired that way.  It's the same type of craving.

That does not apply to guns, and we know gun laws work because we can point to any number of countries in the western world where they do.  That's not to say a criminal won't ever get his hands on a gun or a mass shooting will never happen again when the person is motivated enough, but if you make it difficult enough you save tons of lives from people who won't go through the costs and effort of finding a gun.  Or possibly at least delay them enough to where they might have a moment of clarity and come to their senses.  The AWB of the 1990's saw a decrease in gun violence that predictably increased again once it expired.  I'd gladly take my chances on gun prohibition before depending on the "good guy with the gun" who rarely ever shows up in these scenarios.

• Like 6

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

can someone please tell me who's running against this person next year, and provide a link to donate money to him/her?

I looked. 

There was no one willing to run against him in 2018 from the Democratic party. 

Neal Katz, Ind. garnered 11k to Schaefer's 37.

The land behind the Pine Curtain does not go into the future willingly. 

https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_House_of_Representatives_District_6

Edited by cactusflinthead

The "good guy with a gun" theory isn't grounded in truth, either.  Experienced military and law enforcement personnel will tell you that the ability to function in a deadly firefight is only possible with rigorous and repeated training.  Earl Wayne Holt can strap up all he wants, but when a honest-to-God bad guy with a gun starts shooting up the Walmart with great malice, Earl is unlikely to be very effective at all.

4 hours ago, EMAWesome said:

I don't have a problem with any drug being legalized for adults.  Just don't come to me looking to raise my taxes to pay for federally funded rehab centers.  It is your body you can put whatever you want in it and I'm not going to stop you.  It is your body and your life and it is also your responsibility to take care of it, not mine.  You are free to make whatever bad decisions you want to make as long as you accept the responsibility of making them.  Just don't ask me to bail you out of the mess you have made of your life.

Go read the alcoholics thread in Daily Texan and then tell those people it was all just poor choices, that getting help earlier in their ‘career’ would not have helped avoid car crashes/DUIs/etc, and see how that goes for you.  

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tom said:

There's certainly not just those two types of people in the world.  That's a very naive take on the world and humanity in general.  And I think JimmyJames' post went over your head.

Not to oversimplify the issue, but a drug addict's drug of choice fills an insatiable need that leads to compulsive and irrational behavior to placate that need.  The same way that you will find a way to sleep when you get tired enough, eat when you're hungry enough, or fight to get above water when you can't hold your breath any longer, a drug addict will do whatever it takes to get their fix until they find recovery.  That is why the prohibition of drugs and alcohol is ineffective.  If tomorrow the government made a law that the possession and consumption of food is illegal, you would become the type of person who doesn't follow laws.  Now you might be thinking that comparing using drugs to eating is ridiculous, but it's not to an addict whose brain has been wired that way.  It's the same type of craving.

That does not apply to guns, and we know gun laws work because we can point to any number of countries in the western world where they do.  That's not to say a criminal won't ever get his hands on a gun or a mass shooting will never happen again when the person is motivated enough, but if you make it difficult enough you save tons of lives from people who won't go through the costs and effort of finding a gun.  Or possibly at least delay them enough to where they might have a moment of clarity and come to their senses.  The AWB of the 1990's saw a decrease in gun violence that predictably increased again once it expired.  I'd gladly take my chances on gun prohibition before depending on the "good guy with the gun" who rarely ever shows up in these scenarios.

Referring to the bolded, I understand that there have been different ideas that play into this decrease, but I wonder if that legislation (and its overturning) was a real missed opportunity to make some inroads on gun violence. The age demographics were changing and with Gen X coming of age (with fewer males, lower numbers of offenders at the more common age range). A more reasoned approach to gun ownership and control perhaps could have been in place prior to the next bulge in population. Instead, the NRA and their pols went all in on the fear and the tactical crowd and ramped up the machine to promote gun sales, the police took advantage of surplus arms to become little armies, and everywhere you turn there is blood.

Good job stereotyping asshole, I have one 12 gauge semi-automatic shotgun that I haven't used in at least fifteen years.

What's so dumb about comparing gun control to the war on drugs?  How did making stiffer penalties for drug usage and possession decrease the use of drugs in this country?  How did mandated federal sentencing guidelines work to solve that problem? There are two types of people in this world.  Those that follow the laws and those that don't.  More laws only affects the behavior of those that do follow laws.  They do not affect the behavior of people who don't follow laws.  If this problem is going to get solved someone will have to find a way to change the behavior of people who don't follow the law.  Politicians don't do that, if anyone is going to do it it is going to be societies and civilizations in general.

There is never going to be a change in civilization that eliminates mass shootings in any country that has more guns than citizens

Yeah, laws only change the behavior of those who follow the laws (or against whom the laws can easily be enforced).  Like gun manufacturers, companies that import guns, the stores that sell most of the guns, and most gun owners (they claim, at least).  That will greatly reduce the availability of guns for a huge number of potential mass killers, who don't have a black market network to easily fall back on, but rather arm themselves by walking into Wal-Mart or taking their parents' weapons.   As for those who break the law, that's what the police are for. 

8 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

right, obviously.

what i guess my question is - what does the right hope to prove by making memes like this.  like i said - even if it was 100% true.  what's the point?  are they that desperate and hoping against hope that the next shooting isn't done by some trump fan?  if a democratic supporter shoots up a school, does that change the need for reform?  just seems like no benefit to the right, or anyone who thinks the gun laws are fine, to have any mass shootings ever.  they're all fucking bad for everyone, but they're all fucking terrible for those who support the status quo.

unless they're trying to say that dems are doing this on purpose to try and point out the flaws in the system, essentially framing the right.  but that would be too stupid to even...no, that sounds about right.

They just want to own the libz. It’s the entire gameplan.

They also think that all these calls for gun control and assault rifle bans are just to own the right. They can’t comprehend that it’s simply about trying to save lives.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Hank Kingsley said:

They just want to own the libz. It’s the entire gameplan.

They also think that all these calls for gun control and assault rifle bans are just to own the right. They can’t comprehend that it’s simply about trying to save lives.

The GOP isn't used to simply doing the right thing for the sake of everyone else. Everything has to have a political slant or reason.

They can't comprehend that other people don't see it that way. That we just want to feel safe in public and not have grade school children be murdered in cold blood.

• Like 2

Anyone else wonder why this Odessa shooter was just driving around the PB with a fucking "AR type weapon" in his vehicle?

Since prehistoric times, humans have used the tools that are available to them to solve whatever problems they're facing. The simple presence of that weapon gave him the option to resort to deadly violence at that moment when he was likely feeling upset about losing his job. It's just like having a gun in the home increases the chances that a depressed person will kill themselves in a drunken stupor.

Obviously, he already had a predilection toward grabbing his gun as a problem-solver, given the call to the cops a month ago. Maybe if we took that option away, fewer people would be prone to using extremely efficient killing devices as a way to resolve conflicts in moments of mental crisis.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pam Cummings said:

The GOP isn't used to simply doing the right thing for the sake of everyone else. Everything has to have a political slant or reason.

They can't comprehend that other people don't see it that way. That we just want to feel safe in public and not have grade school children be murdered in cold blood.

Remember back in Obama's days when we would often see "liberalism is a mental illness" or something similar?  Accusations and confessions and all that.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, Pam Cummings said:

qft!! They've lied to us for going on 4 decades. If they say they represent the average American, what is one plank in their platform that is designed to help or to improve quality of life for average Americans?

28 minutes ago, retread said:

what is one plank in their platform that is designed to help or to improve quality of life for average Americans?

“sticking it to the libs, and teaching them a lesson for electing a black man as President by ruining the country” 

- All Republicans 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, henrygandorf said:

ok, so let's set aside the general idiocy of shit like that for a minute (the beto-related social media post).

let's say the shooter was a huge democrat, stickers and all.

would that change the fact that as a country, we need stricter policy concerning guns?  does the right actually think the left wants the laws changed because it happens that some of the mass shootings were committed by trump supporters/white nationalists/both?

Let's say the typical mass shooter was a minority who practices Islam, and was carrying out some fucked-up form of jihad, and there were a handful of websites that he and his fellow brown Islamic mass shooters kept popping up on, and he and his mass shooters kept using the same style of weapon, and they made damn sure that this would continue for many years to come.

Does the GOP do anything?  Does the NRA?

Yes, it's a stupid hypothetical situation.

This whole thing is a fucking mess, because the GOP is in the pocket of the NRA, and it financially benefits the NRA not to budge a single inch (and when we get the inevitable AWB 2.0, the NRA will rake it in like nobody's business, and the controversy over ole Wayne's benefits will disappear).

• Like 1

I can't wait to see the folks who wanted profiling to swallow it when police start profiling white gun owning males.  Yup, I'm sure they'll just accept random searches and pat downs...because ya know, "that's who is committing the crime"

"Seth Ator, the shooter, had applied to get a gun but failed a background check, a representative for the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives said at the press conference."

So, if you try unsuccessfully to vote with a provisional ballot but you're ineligible because of a criminal record, you can get a five year sentence like Crystal Mason, but if you try unsuccessfully to purchase a gun but you're ineligible because of a criminal record then... it's just a matter of you failed a background check?

12 minutes ago, Loco said:

I can't wait to see the folks who wanted profiling to swallow it when police start profiling white gun owning males.  Yup, I'm sure they'll just accept random searches and pat downs...because ya know, "that's who is committing the crime"

Except that is a totally fantastical position with no basis in reality.  There are certain demographic realities related to statistical analysis of gun violence. If you can find the white male demographic that needs to be scrutinized go for it. But a lot of other data points suggest where a profiling approach should focus if you want to go there.  Not sure that we should myslf. 

2 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

That research into the predispositions related to mass shootings should be an area of focus in terms of public health research.

I have no problem with that, as long as the research is not funded by nor tied to special interest groups.  I suspect that's tougher than it sounds.  It feels like a lot of studies go searching for evidence to support a conclusion, but you know far more about that than I.

1 minute ago, jimmyjazz said:

I have no problem with that, as long as the research is not funded by nor tied to special interest groups.  I suspect that's tougher than it sounds.  It feels like a lot of studies go searching for evidence to support a conclusion, but you know far more about that than I.

You are going to have to ask @Mojo Hand

Mojo doesn't want human subjects research related to mass gun violence conducted because he is afraid that the HHS public health pre-crimes division is going to feed the NSA with audio captures of him railing his wife, thus revealing his small penis inadequacy. A common trait shared with mass shooting perps, but with low specificity. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I don't even know what that exchange means.  If somebody would care to explain, or perhaps it would be more hilarious to keep hurling innuendo about like snowballs.

I expressed a concern about a particular proposed method of conducting such a study, with the government (HHS) using artificial intelligence to listen in on people's Alexas and Echos and other smart devices.   Anastasis is embarrassed by the position that he took in that discussion and is pretending that my concern was with researching gun violence in general, not that specific method of conducting the research.    If you are interested in reading the discussion, it's here: 

Edited by Mojo Hand

22 minutes ago, Anastasis said:

Except that is a totally fantastical position with no basis in reality.  There are certain demographic realities related to statistical analysis of gun violence. If you can find the white male demographic that needs to be scrutinized go for it. But a lot of other data points suggest where a profiling approach should focus if you want to go there.  Not sure that we should myslf. 

Two undeniable points

1) that research wasn't needed to pull over and search black kids driving nice cars the speed limit on I95 or just walking down the street in NY

2) the reason there isn't good data on gun violence is that the NRA owned GOP defunded every single shred of research that they could.  

so with precedent set and little data to guide policy, it's time to start safety checking high risk individuals.

Edited by Loco
Words is tough
  • Like 1

I hate to put this in the active shooter thread, but here is a nice lesson in intimidation tactics for parents:

Video at link

https://abc11.com/society/nc-mom-with-rifle-at-bus-stop-says-she-meant-no-harm/5501377/

STANLY COUNTY, N.C. - (WTVD) -- A Stanly County mother seen holding a rifle at a school bus stop says she wasn't trying to harm or intimidate anyone, according to WSOC.

The woman's 11-year-old son, a North Stanly Middle School student, texted her saying he was being bullied on the bus.

Prior to the bus arriving, the woman said she grabbed a rifle after seeing coyotes coming out of the woods near her home.

"If they were here they would have seen coyotes on my property," the woman told WSOC. "I was scaring coyotes off. When I was coming back up to my house is when the bus pulled up."

When the bus driver asked the woman to come near the bus so they could talk, she walked over to the bus with rifle in hand. Someone took video of her talking to the bus driver while she was armed.

The mother did not want to give her name or show her face on camera.
Stanly County deputies say the woman won't be charged since the gun wasn't pointed at anyone and no threats were made.

Coyotes? Well, the governor of Texas did set a precedent there. But:

giphy.gif

42 minutes ago, SuingToGetAMessageBoard? said:

some 14 year old just killed 5 family members in Alabama.

DOn't they actually have prayer in school in Alabama?  

• Pancho changed the title to Active shooter thread