2022 Fall Camp: Drippin'

DFW Horn

59 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on a few position battles

Hide contents

Freshman defensive end Ethan Burke is making a push into the two-deep as is his former Austin Westlake teammate Michael Taaffe at safety.

“Taaffe is gonna play,” a team source said. “He’s around the ball too much not to play. Smart football player.”

Junior Jerrin Thompson, the projected starter at field safety, said, “Taaffe is one of those guys - like (freshman nickel/cornerback) Jaylon Guilbeau - who works hard and shows you that everything they want, they’re gonna get. Taaffe is a very smart player. He knows the game.”

I love the thought of giving Taaffe a chance to do something the field for us. He's a natural ball hawk.

Quinn probably has flashbacks every time the guy steps on the field.

• Hook 'Em 1

SP+ had last year's defense ranked per its defensive efficiency metric at #86 in the country, and comparing that to past years helps put how bad that is in perspective

2010 #10

2011 #5

2012 #43

2013 #23

2014 #12

2015 #60

2016 #50

2017 #14

2018 #44

2019 #68

2020 #35

2021 #86

The next worst season over the previous eleven was still twenty spots better 

If you're looking for an obvious way for the record to improve considerably, getting that number to something like #50 should do the trick. The previous three seasons (2018-2020) average out to #49, so unless the coaching staff is completely useless, that improvement should be realistically expected. It just so happens that the SP+ preseason model has Texas's defense at #51

• Hook 'Em 3

12 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Quinn workout video just released...

So this QB coach has him throwing with his eyes closed because you often end up on your back (after the throw)? Hmmm.

If that's what Quinn needs to work on most, we're going to the Super Bowl.

• Haha 2

5 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So this QB coach has him throwing with his eyes closed because you often end up on your back (after the throw)? Hmmm.

If that's what Quinn needs to work on most, we're going to the Super Bowl.

Your eyes can deceive you. Don't trust them.

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Let me guess, big Westlake fan, are you?

If I can disparage my own kind as Jack Nicholson said in The Departed, let’s hope we do not need to rely on another “coach on the field “ in the secondary anytime soon. 

13 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Someone post the Humidor. My IT account is jacked up.

Team Humidor: Team notes, best player by position, top 10 players by season's end

— IT was told energy and competition this week “was amazing. The team was ready to work, ready to practice.” If it’s like that for the week before the week, next week should be really good ahead of the opener against UL-M.

— This week has been structured like a real game week. To that end, they’ll hold a walk-through today before Saturday’s mock game. The entire day will feature the same structure of the actual game day, right down to meal, meetings, chapel services, even getting taped.

Along with the walk through today, they’ll have the same game week Friday routine right down to team movie night.

— We were asked if those players who are expected to redshirt this year will lift three times a week in order to not sacrifice much-needed physical development over the course of the season. Yes, they will, but we think the main players will also lift three times a week, just in a way designed to not break them down. Basically, those two groups will be on different regimens. 

— We heard about a little more 11 personnel recently. That returns Jordan Whittington home to the slot position and brings Casey Cain onto the field at boundary receiver.

— One source who has been mentioning lack of team speed for a decade called recently and said, “They definitely have some guys that can run, they’re just so young. They have the talent but need some time.” In the 10 minute conversation he probably mentioned improved team speed 4-5 times. Over the years he has complained about team speed countless times. It was a good call.

We’ll have more team content throughout the weekend, but for now we’ll focus on an interesting interaction we had on Friday. We asked a source a very simple question, “in order, who are the ten best players on the team?” 

[long pause] “You mean now, or by the end of the season?”

He struggled to name the 10 best now, so we decided to start going position by position and naming the guys who are either the best at their position or definitely under consideration for the top 10.

(Don’t focus on the list so much, it’s just a delivery method and a way to get him thinking and talking about the players)

QB: “Sark is going to put Quinn in position to produce. The way he’s improving through practice he’s probably one of the top players already but definitely by the end of the year.”

RB: “Bijan is the best player on the team, obviously. Roschon is on the list, too.”

WR: “Everyone knows X is on it, but Whittington is too. He’s so versatile — they can line him up anywhere.”

OL: “Banks might be on the list now, but definitely by the end of the year. Another freshman, Cole Hutson is going to be good by the end of the year. They were okay with moving Junior to play him, that tells you something. I personally think Jake Majors is going to surprise people this season. Hayden Conner is steady.”

TE: “Ja’Tavion Sanders might be on the list now. I feel like he’s going to get some well-timed targets this year and make some big plays.”

DT: “Byron Murphy’s an easy one. Probably the third best player on the team right now.”

It’s unfortunate he’s the only DT being named because there’s a lot of talent there. “Sweat had a pretty good camp. He needs more consistency, same with Alfred. Both are top 10 talents.”

Edge: “Ovie Oghoufo is in the conversation I think. Barryn Sorrell isn’t top 10 but I think he’ll play well this year.”

We had to pause and ask about Ovie, specifically what’s improved? Is he stronger? “I don’t think it’s strength, he’s always been pretty strong. His technique is much better.“ The source went on to say, while Ovie does have good athleticism to pass rush, and has been making plays in practice, he wants to see how disciplined he is on game day.

LB: “Overshown is on the list and Ford is under consideration.”

Concern was expressed here, “is it accurate to say Overshown is still getting by on athleticism while Ford understands the position better?” The reply, “Overshown is still more of an athlete but he’s making a lot of plays and understands his role better. Ford executes on the little things, puts himself in the right place. Ford is pretty athletic too.” 

Star: “Jahdae missed a lot of time but if he picks up where he left off he’ll be one of the best players on defense this year.”

CB: “I know Jamison has been up and down, but he’s only been beat a couple of times this month where it looked preventable.”

S: “Jerrin would make the list of 10 most important players because of his leadership on the field.”

The implication, of course, is there is no safety even in top 10 consideration.

The source wanted this to reflect season’s end, not now: 

1. Bijan Robinson

2. Xavier Worthy

3. Byron Murphy

4. DeMarvion Overshown

5. Jordan Whittington

6. Quinn Ewers

7. Roschon Johnson

8. D’Shawn Jamison

9. Kelvin Banks

10. Ja’Tavion Sanders

So, no Jahdae Barron or Ovie Oghoufo. “It‘s tough to leave them off but the coaches feel good about playing some freshman who are really coming on (Ethan Burke and Jaylon Guilbeau).”

We understand there will be some skepticism about talented players who have been inconsistent — namely Overshown and Jamison — but this tidbit was revealing: When a different source was asked about best tackler on the team, “It’s Overshown or Tucker-Dorsey. Overshown is about the only one who can keep Bijan in front of him and Tucker-Dorsey might not have missed a tackle all spring.”

Another point in Overshown’s favor was the coaches holding him out of the last scrimmage despite him being healthy.

One final comment on the conversation. In my opinion, Quinn is either going to be top-3 by the end of the year with Robinson and Worthy, or not on the list at all. 

Bet on the former — again, by the end of the season.

• Hook 'Em 7

1 hour ago, Hookem2147 said:

The another battle coming down to the wire will be at offensive tackle, where freshman Kelvin Banks, who is coming back from an ankle injury, is expected to be the starter at left tackle with redshirt sophomore Andrej Karic trying to unseat fifth-year senior Christian Jones at right tackle. 

Karic would serve as the backup at both left and right tackle if he can’t crack the starting lineup with freshman Cameron Williams (6-7, 374) coming on at right tackle.

what-tom-cruise.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Hookem2147 said:

FCB on a few position battles

Hide contents

In one of the more intriguing position battles to replace injured receiver Isaiah Neyor, who was lost to a season-ending knee injury (torn ACL), Iowa State graduate transfer Tarique Milton “is probably the most trustworthy right now, with Casey Cain and Savion Red coming on,” according to a team source.

Can one of y’all listen to the Sark press conference that someone posted yesterday afternoon? I’m up by the ski resort in Santa Fe and it’s too hard to mess with on my phone. I thought Sark said something like Milton is a great asset as a mature 3rd string guy.  But if what I think Sark said is true, I don’t know who the starters are. Losing Neyor really hurts. We need a certain guy to mature and make his way back on the team ASAP.

13 minutes ago, Bevo said:

Can one of y’all listen to the Sark press conference that someone posted yesterday afternoon? I’m up by the ski resort in Santa Fe and it’s too hard to mess with on my phone. I thought Sark said something like Milton is a great asset as a mature 3rd string guy.  But if what I think Sark said is true, I don’t know who the starters are. Losing Neyor really hurts. We need a certain guy to mature and make his way back on the team ASAP.

From IT today:

We heard about a little more 11 personnel recently. That returns Jordan Whittington home to the slot position and brings Casey Cain onto the field at boundary receiver.

• Hook 'Em 1

21 hours ago, WinningIsHard said:

That aggy’s Reddit handle is Mrbananagrabber. What in tar nation. This thread is awesome. 

1 hour ago, Jamaal.25 said:

I can confirm that's Jimbo's account. He created the handle a while back.. when he was married to Mrsbananagrabber

Mr Banana Grabber, Baby Banana Grabber...

5fb1ce95-c69a-4b70-b0c4-4e953909b111_text.gif.995946800a1e780ba99cf4780d74ae11.gif

5 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

... this is Ian Boyd just making shit up in his head. He has no clue if the defense will actually be implementing any of those concepts so there’s no point in reading it. 

On top of that, he has no understanding of how to apply scheme to real situations or personnel. ...

These are spot on.  It's not that he's chalkboard XOs dumb on a conceptual level.

It's that he's dumb to actual application of those concepts, and he brings no insight into the program itself.  He's just talking about whatever he decides to talk about that day.

He's better of just saying "Here's some quarters concepts, guys" and pulling a few diagrams off powerpoint.

• Hook 'Em 1