Longhorn Network

TXs

18 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

The worst thing about our fanbase was the fact that people complained about having our own network

fuck yall, pieces of fucking shit

I covered my issues here:

On 11/25/2023 at 5:07 PM, Rimbo said:

Would've been better if they'd allowed it to show UIL games.

Also would've been better if it hadn't existed during a horrible 15-year period of Longhorn football.

Also also would've been better if I could've actually gotten the channel without paying $200/mo for a TV subscription.

5 hours ago, GreenspointTexas said:

What would you rather have? No baseball/basketball/other sports aired at all or have them on LHN? 

jesus christ. And it was never hard get LHN. Sign up for a provider that had/has it. If you live in an area that didnt have it, boo fucking hoo. Buncha old ass bumpkin broke dicks on here

I live 700 miles from the Texas state border, and even that doesn't ever get me into the Central time zone. Bite me.

Posted (edited)

Great read from Statesman…Cedric Golden:  The Longhorn Network…how it started and it’s history:

https://tinyurl.com/2c683wde

Longhorn Network made college sports history…THE LAST BROADCAST

While the Texas baseball team was busy finishing up its regular-season finale against Kansas on Saturday, a door quietly closed in the broadcasting world.

It was the Longhorn Network’s final traditional team broadcast, and longtime booth partners Keith Moreland and Greg Swindell bid adieu to Longhorn Nation. They've done in the neighborhood of 400 games at UFCU Disch-Falk Field, and the last one, while sad, brought a historic end in sports broadcasting.

LHN’s coverage was a welcome presence to the households of Longhorns fans who lived out of state or otherwise couldn’t get to the games.

The network was an audacious undertaking that lined Texas’ pockets through a massive deal with ESPN that was not only the first of its kind — a broadcasting giant partnering with a single university — but one that would signal a coming change in the high-dollar worlds of broadcasting and college football.

It was the first of its kind and likely the last.

How it all started….

https://tinyurl.com/2c683wde

Edited by Cairn Horn88
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

Posted (edited)
51 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

I covered my issues here:

I live 700 miles from the Texas state border, and even that doesn't ever get me into the Central time zone. Bite me.

I lived about a thousand miles from Texas for 7 years and had lhn for every second of it.  It was available. 

I live 1700 miles away right now and have it. Been watching softball and baseball on it all weekend. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3

52 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

I lived about a thousand miles from Texas for 7 years and had lhn for every second of it.  It was available. 

I live 1700 miles away right now and have it. Been watching softball and baseball on it all weekend. 

well aren't you special

• Hook 'Em 1

A new-look LHN

The good news is it won’t be entirely going away.

The last month will be a revisiting of the network’s top moments and surely a few dozen replays of VY running into the end zone in Pasadena. Also, senior athletic director Drew Martin will launch an app July 1 that will make globs of LHN content— coaches shows, profiles, documentaries — available on demand.

The physical LHN will be no more, but the app will keep that good content alive in perpetuity.

'It's been a win for Texas,' UT athletic director Chris Del Conte said. 'The way it enhanced the brand was amazing. Anytime a university with its own network with content of that quality, it's a real testament to the leadership of De-Loss Dodds and Chris Plonsky.'

It was some undertaking. Brave, bold and historic.

“Obviously, it was ahead of its time,” Brown said.

“And what I thought were positives and concerns for the football team, it was great for the university and the other programs that couldn’t be on TV. It was worth the money. It was a challenging time but a fun time.”

Thanks, LHN. Well done.

• Hook 'Em 1

top lhn moment: the first game against Rice, being streamed live to the net by intrepid individuals and available in watering holes everywhere, and at halftime plonsky being informed of this with incredulity replied "that's not possible!  that's a pirate station!"

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)

Should be on July 1st. LHN will shut down and the demand content will be up. I'm sure the first item we'll see that's Texas specific is SEC Media Day with Sark on July 17th. I'd imagine the SEC Network will have something that welcomes to the two schools and introduces the SEC fans to both. 

Edited by mdmost
  • Hook 'Em 2

like many of us, I will miss having the network that caused Aggy to rage-quit the Big 12.

I am also going to miss the guaranteed time set aside to watch UT home volleyball, soccer, tennis, track and of course all the baseball and softball games.  But I think with the heavy expansion of ESPN+ probably 90-95% of the home games that would have been on LHN will still be viewable for streaming.

The main advantage to losing LHN for most of us, is we are no longer required to have a cable/streaming/satellite provider that had LHN.  going forward, we can pick any of the multiple streaming choice options that have the ESPN packages and we all can probably save money because there are now at least 5 maybe as many as 10 different cable "like" choices that have a sports plan and we can pick the one that gives us the most channels for the least cost.

• Hook 'Em 7

I doubt they’ll put on our football games on ESPN+ during the life of the current ESPN-SEC contract. So the olds can a deep breath.

I could see the Monroe game getting dumped on the SECN+. 

I think most men’s basketball games will be on SECN or SECN+.

The sports will of course be all over ESPN+. It’s a very clunky app that requires near constant log in’s to avoid password sharing. The interface is pretty user friendly, but it’s shit ton of scrolling if you don’t use the search function. It badly needs a favorite team function or favorite team homepage. If you’re looking UT Swimming and Diving going to scrolling for 30 minutes. 

6 hours ago, billfromlaketravis said:

I doubt they’ll put on our football games on ESPN+ during the life of the current ESPN-SEC contract. So the olds can a deep breath.

I could see the Monroe game getting dumped on the SECN+. 

I think most men’s basketball games will be on SECN or SECN+.

The sports will of course be all over ESPN+. It’s a very clunky app that requires near constant log in’s to avoid password sharing. The interface is pretty user friendly, but it’s shit ton of scrolling if you don’t use the search function. It badly needs a favorite team function or favorite team homepage. If you’re looking UT Swimming and Diving going to scrolling for 30 minutes. 

My AT&T U-verse smartphone app has freely carried all the SEC+ Network baseball games, and that's been the case for several years. You could find any SEC baseball game you wanted, even if it was a SEC school playing the school-for-the-blind in non-conference.

It remains to be seen if that continues for free in the future.

14 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

like many of us, I will miss having the network that caused Aggy to rage-quit the Big 12.

I am also going to miss the guaranteed time set aside to watch UT home volleyball, soccer, tennis, track and of course all the baseball and softball games.  But I think with the heavy expansion of ESPN+ probably 90-95% of the home games that would have been on LHN will still be viewable for streaming.

The main advantage to losing LHN for most of us, is we are no longer required to have a cable/streaming/satellite provider that had LHN.  going forward, we can pick any of the multiple streaming choice options that have the ESPN packages and we all can probably save money because there are now at least 5 maybe as many as 10 different cable "like" choices that have a sports plan and we can pick the one that gives us the most channels for the least cost.

IMO Youtube TV is the best value of any of them currently.

• Hook 'Em 1

Posted (edited)
35 minutes ago, BachelorTrek said:

My AT&T U-verse smartphone app has freely carried all the SEC+ Network baseball games, and that's been the case for several years. You could find any SEC baseball game you wanted, even if it was a SEC school playing the school-for-the-blind in non-conference.

My Verizon package gives me a bundle

IMG_4219.jpeg

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, BachelorTrek said:

Agreed on baseball. I forgot about that one. SECN constantly has softball on as well. So hoops + baseball/softball on the mothership, and all other sports probably get dumped on streaming. 

3 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Agreed on baseball. I forgot about that one. SECN constantly has softball on as well. So hoops + baseball/softball on the mothership, and all other sports probably get dumped on streaming. 

I was asking a buddy of mine who follows this kind of stuff and is a Georgia fan...he said this

image.png.6740a8e11c8858d14b65158688f69dc7.png

We're going to be alright guys. You can relax.

• Hook 'Em 2

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm watching the New Mexico State game with David Ash as QB and Mack on the sidelines.  

3:45 left in the first half and they have the ball at our 12 yard line.  

(Edit: we just tied the game 7-7 with a minute before halftime).

Edited by Bullneck
  • Hook 'Em 1

On 5/21/2024 at 8:13 AM, BurntOrange&White said:

I was asking a buddy of mine who follows this kind of stuff and is a Georgia fan...he said this

image.png.6740a8e11c8858d14b65158688f69dc7.png

We're going to be alright guys. You can relax.

They have 16 teams to split it between, definitely going to need a SEC 2 to see close to everything.  Plan on getting ESPN plus to watch things like random baseball and softball games.  

20 hours ago, Bullneck said:

I'm watching the New Mexico State game with David Ash as QB and Mack on the sidelines.  

3:45 left in the first half and they have the ball at our 12 yard line.  

(Edit: we just tied the game 7-7 with a minute before halftime).

colonel-kurtz-apocalypse-now.jpg.d2043f5cc1ee13d65fb10191ca075a46.jpg

• Haha 2

22 hours ago, CashMcCoy said:

Will be hilarious when our first game on any of the SEC Networks comes around and Lowell Galindo is on the call.

way more plausible than any of us would like to admit

• Rage+1 1

On 6/2/2024 at 12:15 PM, CashMcCoy said:

Will be hilarious when our first game on any of the SEC Networks comes around and Lowell Galindo is on the call.

Fucker!

2 hours ago, n64ra said:

way more plausible than any of us would like to admit

I admit nothing. Eat a dick. 

• Haha 1

So the question of if you need SECN+ or ESPN+ to watch our games has been answered. ULM in week 4 will be either on SEC Network or ESPN+ on 9/21. So it looks like that game is a digital only offering. I guess SECN+ could be on providers that offer SEC Network. 

Edited by mdmost

So the LHN goes dark on July 1? I wonder what programing they'll air on June 30. Hopefully all the classics like the 2006 Rose Bowl, 2022 Red River Blowout, 2011 herp-derp v. aggy game, 2005 Rose Bowl, 2019 Sugar Bowl, 2008 Red River....and maybe some 20th century classics too. I need to set my DVR

5 minutes ago, perfectchaos007 said:

So the LHN goes dark on July 1? I wonder what programing they'll air on June 30. Hopefully all the classics like the 2006 Rose Bowl, 2022 Red River Blowout, 2011 herp-derp v. aggy game, 2005 Rose Bowl, 2019 Sugar Bowl, 2008 Red River....and maybe some 20th century classics too. I need to set my DVR

They have set up Lowell Galindo to do a dramatic reading of War and Peace.  Be sure to tune in. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4
  • Rage+1 1