This is a man. He's over 40. He's a man.

kopp0e

Is Gunnar a good QB or just the coach’s son?  I’d think Bowman in a Gundy offense would be plug and play, 400 yard passing games on the regular.  
It’s hard to understand the falloff.  Gundy’s put an amazing product on the field consistently.  I definitely would have taken him as a coach over the crap we dealt with until now.  

We won the Fiesta Bowl less than 2 years ago and at this time last year were ranked in the top 10 and stayed there through the end of October. It all went to shit thereafter and we’re still stuck there, but it’s been less than a full season. This sucks shit and I hate that he won’t just pick a qb but the reactionary shit is dumb. If the AD makes a decision to fire him I wouldn’t hate it, but it’s not gonna happen, and shouldn’t because of a bad streak. Every program has them, we’ve largely avoided them and have almost 20 straight bowl appearances. That counts for something. We’ll make a bowl again this year, I guarantee it, and will be in contention again soon, maybe not this season, but soon.

Edited by 'stache
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, markstanco said:

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e4734nwj6s6d734pn1b83

We've been in contention for most of the last 20 years, but one bad loss, might as well shut the program down entirely. I swear I really am getting old as shit, this over-reactionary bullshit is grating on me. I haven't even been to the OSU board since last week, I've seen enough elsewhere to know it's a complete meltdown shitshow.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, 'stache said:

We've been in contention for most of the last 20 years, but one bad loss, might as well shut the program down entirely. I swear I really am getting old as shit, this over-reactionary bullshit is grating on me. I haven't even been to the OSU board since last week, I've seen enough elsewhere to know it's a complete meltdown shitshow.

Bad loss doesn’t begin to describe being  dominated by a school that barely has an athletic program. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

10 minutes ago, 'stache said:

Im with you on that.  It will be tough sledding this year for a lot of reasons, but the QB situation is glaring. Gundy will be fine in the coming years, he seems to find that all american type WR and QB play has been consistent during his tenure for a majority of his career. 

10 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Bad loss doesn’t begin to describe being  dominated by a school that barely has an athletic program. 

They've been in the Sunbelt for ten years, went 10-3 last year, including a one point last second loss @ UCLA. They beat Mississippi State a few years ago too. It's a bad loss, but "barely has an athletic program" is wrong. They aren't Savannah State. We've been squeaking wins in the non-conference against lesser opponents for years, it finally caught up to us, which really sucks, but it is what it is, the program will survive.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

If any of the Cowboy fans are depressed about sucking for less than a year, tell them to come over here for a reality check.  
Gundy’s a proven winner and “does more with less” guy who’s still young and loves his job.  Those guys are very rare.  As we know better than almost anyone, EVERY coaching hire is a crap shoot.  There are no sure things, especially at a school like OSU who isn’t going to pay 7 million plus to compete for coaches at the very highest level.  

• Hook 'Em 1

The bad loss is just the downhill roll picking up speed. Gundy's been having issues a year now and it's getting worse. Players turning on him, exodus of good players not finding a reason to stay. Staff disagreements, donor issues, etc.

He's gone on record with players, staff and donors that he is anti-NIL and it is not important to him and shouldn't be to them.

OSU is going to need to find the money any pay him out as soon as they have decided on a replacement. He can't survive in the current landscape just because he's been good.  He's currently decided on the FSU Jimbo model and we know how that turned out for that marriage.

26 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

The bad loss is just the downhill roll picking up speed. Gundy's been having issues a year now and it's getting worse. Players turning on him, exodus of good players not finding a reason to stay. Staff disagreements, donor issues, etc.

He's gone on record with players, staff and donors that he is anti-NIL and it is not important to him and shouldn't be to them.

OSU is going to need to find the money any pay him out as soon as they have decided on a replacement. He can't survive in the current landscape just because he's been good.  He's currently decided on the FSU Jimbo model and we know how that turned out for that marriage.

Wait, did Gundy also suffer a cuckold like Jimbo did at FSU?

2 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

That loss makes OU’s RRR loss last year look like Georgia’s win in the title game.  Maybe the most shocking loss I’ve seen in last 5 years.  Just skullfucked at home by directional dogshit U.  

• Rage+1 1

3 hours ago, 'stache said:

We won the Fiesta Bowl less than 2 years ago and at this time last year were ranked in the top 10 and stayed there through the end of October. It all went to shit thereafter and we’re still stuck there, but it’s been less than a full season. This sucks shit and I hate that he won’t just pick a qb but the reactionary shit is dumb. If the AD makes a decision to fire him I wouldn’t hate it, but it’s not gonna happen, and shouldn’t because of a bad streak. Every program has them, we’ve largely avoided them and have almost 20 straight bowl appearances. That counts for something. We’ll make a bowl again this year, I guarantee it, and will be in contention again soon, maybe not this season, but soon.

Gundy has been solid for a long time and osu would be idiotic for dumping him. He has shown they will get 8 (or more) wins a year, consistently.

That said - ok st has won exactly zero big 12 titles in football and I can see how some ok st peeps would want to move on. imho, that would be a big mistake.

Edited by bbq chips
  • Fuck You 1

56 minutes ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

This.  The loss didn’t happen in a vacuum.  He openly shits on NIL and the portal.  Seems to only get transfers from dumpy programs not any good power 5 programs.  All of it combined leads to my predictions of doom, not just the shitty loss.  

Half of college coaches bitch about NIL while letting others handle it for them. Gundy is the same, we have an active NIL program in place currently. It won't pay as much as some others, but we'll never win those battles anyway. If Joey Freshwater wants to pay a ton of money for QB to play backup, there's not much we can do about it, and we probably shouldn't because we'll never win those battles v. Bama, SMU, and the other big NIL players. 

Edited by 'stache

2018: 7-6
2019: 8-5
2020: 8-3
2021: 12-2
2022: 7-6

2023 looks like it will be Gundy's first losing season since 2005.  The offense has been in decline for years and that's Gundy's area of expertise.  I think Jim Knowles's time in Stillwater is the reason Gundy isn't already on the hot seat.  We'll see how the new DC eventually works out, but it's a major rebuild on that side and the landscape of roster building in college football has changed.  Usually in Gundy's tenure, there have been things to point out to give you optimism about the future.  I don't see any of that currently.

The other thing that is lowkey hurting the Pokes is that OU can put together PWO NIL packages for in-state kids that outstrip OSU's scholarship offers.  Oklahoma HS recruits are often undervalued nationally and Gundy has feasted on that.  Now OU can talk high 3 star Okies into taking a PWO spot in Norman without disrupting out of state recruiting plans.  OSU needs to get its NIL situation sorted well enough to deter that.  

17 hours ago, Pdawg88 said:

No way they will ever fire him. I think I heard today on one of the local shows it would cost them $25 million to let him go. Boone Pickens isn’t walking through that door. I have a couple friends that live in Stillwater and have had business deals with Gundy, they say he is a very savvy business man around Stoolwater. Bought a bunch of land cheap and sold high. 

Found it on dirtburglars:

Reminder that Gundy has a perpetually-renewing contract that never expires and includes an automatic $125K raise every year.

Technically, it's a five-year contract that keeps rolling over annually.

And as of January 2023, his buyout jumped to 75%. That means roughly $7.5 million per year * 5 years = $37.5 million and 75% of that is $28.1 million.

So, OSU would have to pay Gundy over $28 million to not coach there anymore. As far as I can tell, the biggest buyout ever paid to a CFB coach was Auburn to Gus Malzahn: $21 million.

OSU's entire athletic revenue is $91.4 million, the lowest in the Big XII. For the same period, Auburn generated $175 million from athletics.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, 'stache said:

15 years instead of 20 and it sounds like some Texas fans exactly 13 years ago next week after getting drilled at home. 

2 hours ago, bbq chips said:

Gundy has been solid for a long time and osu would be idiotic for dumping him. He has shown they will get 8 (or more) wins a year, consistently.

That said - ok st has won exactly zero big 12 titles in football and I can see how some ok st peeps would want to move on. imho, that would be a big mistake.

Did I dream 2011? Because I'm pretty sure we won the Big 12 title that year.

And yes this is a stupid Aggy-ish thing to say, but if this conference didn't have the stupid fucking pointless Championship Game even though everyone plays everyone else we would have had another Big 12 title in 2021.

And anyway - as I said, I'm going to sit in "wait and see" mode. The last time the fan base was in total meltdown talking about how Gundy has "lost it", or "didn't care any more" etc., etc., was 2014 when we didn't have a serviceable QB on the roster for most of the year and everyone kicked the shit out of us basically from late September through November.  Then he finally pulled Mason Rudolph's redshirt and let it rip and oh - look at that - competent QB play really helps.

I have no idea if Zane Flores (current highly regarded true freshman QB from Nebraska) will be that guy or not. Like I said - I'm gonna wait and see.

6 hours ago, Pig Bellmont said:

Yeah, hard to put lipstick on a 33-7 pig. That was a horrific loss. A coach-killing loss.

5 hours ago, markstanco said:

Im with you on that.  It will be tough sledding this year for a lot of reasons, but the QB situation is glaring. Gundy will be fine in the coming years, he seems to find that all american type WR and QB play has been consistent during his tenure for a majority of his career. 

3 hours ago, ChiTownDoc said:

This.  The loss didn’t happen in a vacuum.  He openly shits on NIL and the portal.  Seems to only get transfers from dumpy programs not any good power 5 programs.  All of it combined leads to my predictions of doom, not just the shitty loss.  

Yes, the calculus has changed in college football. It's a new world. Just because Gundy consistently contended under the old rules doesn't mean he's automatically going to continue to contend moving forward. Hell, some people are already writing Saban's epitaph.

What is OSU's NIL program? The interviews he gave shitting on the practice made it seem like they didn't have much going on. 

The good news for them is next year they won't be in a power conference anymore. They'll be competing for conference with BYU, Houston, Baylor level teams not OU and Texas. Even with just a decent NIL and portal strategy he could compete for that conference. 

Edited by Hermanator

47 minutes ago, C-Man said:

Yes, the calculus has changed in college football. It's a new world. Just because Gundy consistently contended under the old rules doesn't mean he's automatically going to continue to contend moving forward. Hell, some people are already writing Saban's epitaph.

Less than a year ago we were in the top 10 and dominated one of the teams that played in the national championship game on their home field for 3 quarters before losing in OT. I'm pretty sure we are still living in the same CFB reality right now that we were one year ago today.

But yeah the sky is falling now and Gundy all of a sudden is terrible because last year's team was decimated with injuries and we don't have a good quarterback this year.

Again, I'm going to wait and see what happens for the rest of this year.

Honestly I think the biggest thing is the dumb-shit approach to the non-conference that Gundy took this year with all of the dumb rotations, especially and obviously at quarterback.

Just give ONE of these guys (hopefully Bowman or Rangle) a fucking chance to establish a little bit of rhythm and rapport with the WRs and this can be a serviceable offense.

The skill position players are good. Presley, Stribbling, Bray, Shettron and Gordon can all play... if we would just give them a fucking chance by picking a goddamn quarterback.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Less than a year ago we were in the top 10 and dominated one of the teams that played in the national championship game on their home field for 3 quarters before losing in OT. I'm pretty sure we are still living in the same CFB reality right now that we were one year ago today.

But yeah the sky is falling now and Gundy all of a sudden is terrible because last year's team was decimated with injuries and we don't have a good quarterback this year.

Again, I'm going to wait and see what happens for the rest of this year.

Honestly I think the biggest thing is the dumb-shit approach to the non-conference that Gundy took this year with all of the dumb rotations, especially and obviously at quarterback.

Just give ONE of these guys (hopefully Bowman or Rangle) a fucking chance to establish a little bit of rhythm and rapport with the WRs and this can be a serviceable offense.

The skill position players are good. Presley, Stribbling, Bray, Shettron and Gordon can all play... if we would just give them a fucking chance by picking a goddamn quarterback.

Look, man, I'm all for Okie State being decent and beating some common opponents down this season, since we don't play you guys. So I hope you're right.

That considered, it's not like we were waiting to call this one until after South Alabama. You guys were raped in the portal. Your NIL program is being actively worked against by your head coach. You looked like hammered dogshit in all 3 non-conference games. 

Okie State is going to have a shit season. If you are relying on Bowman or someone even more obscure than him to pull the season together, holy shit. That dude played Okie State well so Gundy went and got him. Those two games were like his only two good games as a starter. He's gotten progressively worse as his career has drug on. Good luck with him. 

We've all been where you are right now. The ground has shifted beneath your coach's feet. He's tired and he's lost his fastball. You just played at an elite level. There's no way things can evaporate that quickly, right? Right!? 

Anywho, I'm sure y'all will win the Toilet Bowl in Ames this weekend and can reassure yourself that all is right in this world. Getting gifted ISU, WVU, UH and Cincy while avoiding Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech might actually lead to some illusory record of 7-5 that reaffirms things further for you, but on the outside, y'all look like you are in deep shit.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Getting gifted ISU, WVU, UH and Cincy while avoiding Texas, TCU, and Texas Tech might actually lead to some illusory record of 7-5 that reaffirms things further for you, but on the outside, y'all look like you are in deep shit.

We're still going 2-10, 7-5 would be an absolute miracle.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Pokoloco said:

We're still going 2-10, 7-5 would be an absolute miracle.

I think ISU is winnable but it's on the road.  Same with Houston.  After that, it gets tough to find possible Ws.  WVU in Morgantown will be very tough.  They returned their entire OL and their defense appears to be improved.  KSU and KU are both probably Ls, even if they are at home.  @UCF looks like an L.  BYU looks like an L.  Oklahoma is an L.  I'd pick Cincinnati to beat OSU on a neutral field (better on LOS, better QB), but maybe that's a W for Gundy at home. 

16 hours ago, Godzillatron said:

I mentioned Bowman to one of my TT friends and the response was “wow, that guy is still playing!?” And that’s the best qb at State… got some issues ain’t gonna be solved this season.

Yeah it always seemed weird to me that they were so high on him. He was never good. He had one great game against U of H but that was basically it. Not to mention he's a statue and gets hurt a lot. Not a great combo.

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MonkeyDoughnut said:

how-will-we-tell-lily-tomlin.gif

Lol, CSB. We have an NIL program, so that's a lie, and other peer programs are doing the same or less. Colin Oliver and others have spoken about how they has benefited from NIL deals. Barry Hinson is an AD VP and in charge of NIL (if you've ever heard him speak he's really likeable). Gundy's comments about the portal and NIL are grumpy, like dozens of other coaches, but he used the portal, and knows that the players are making NIL money. His comment specifically was that he told his players not to ask him about NIL or to line up at his office asking for more money, which I think is fair. Having some players make more than others based on decisions of the head coach presents way more problems in my opinion than no NIL at all. Go to any board after a bad loss, some yahoo will say everyone's about to quit and the coach is an asshole.

I hate how this season is playing out. I want him to pick a QB and settle on the starting 22, so criticisms are valid. But this overly broad chicken little shit is obnoxious.  

Edit: Meant to quote the tweet @Brian Fantana posted with the message board screenshot. 

Edited by 'stache

On 9/19/2023 at 9:48 AM, MonkeyDoughnut said:

Quiet, you.

The message to our OSU friends should remain, as always, to hold the course.

It's up to them to figure out if that's good advice... or if we have ulterior motives.

(Hint: While I don't feel threatened, and never have, it's never a good thing for a program in the same region we are to be recruiting well.)