Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

9 hours ago, The Dog said:

Good grief, Nebraska is a top 10 program in football revenue. This isn't some welfare case that had been punching above their weight.

There's no excuse for them to have been this bad for this long. 

Scott Frost was just a really bad coach who caught lightning in a bottle for one year at UCF. He's never had a winning season otherwise. 

Except for the 40 million wins in his pocket.

4 hours ago, MrBig said:

School me on how offsets work. Let’s say Herman takes the job. He’s owed $6.75M from Texas for 2023.

If Nebraska promises him $3M for 2023, does the offset mean corn pays him $3M and we owe him $3.75M to pay off the $6.75M? 

Yes, that's exactly how it works.  It's a topic I remember researching when Georgia Southern hired Helton, the salary he gets from them is subtracted from the buyout USC is paying him.

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

At least it would take his name out of the discussion for a few years every time a coaching job opens up. 

Campbell went 7-6 last year with a handful of NFL dudes, its likely not splashy enough.   He seems more like a Beamer/Purple Wizard kind of guy.   To take this job you need to love the limelight and pressure to put in instant success, or you'll be out.  Next guy isn't getting the rope Frost got, he's got 2 years tops.   I'd put my money on someone on Saban's staff, but Nebraska needs someone hitting the road and recruiting now.   Their 2022 class ranks 41st.

This is the biggest problem with this hire.   Every one of the historic blue bloods has one thing that Nebraska lacks - a home grown recruiting advantage.   The only one close is ND and their talons are so deep into Chicago that you can't fall out of a bar there without tripping over a passed out Irish fan.   You need a developmental guy, like Ferentz, Campbell, Fitzgerald or basically any of the non-blue blood coaches having success in the Midwest.   However, the school isn't ok with developmental.   That's like living the 7-8 win life waiting for the one moment you hit glory with 10 wins.   Nebraska needs and expects ten wins now...and next year, and every year.   But that ship has sank.   They need to go the Aggy route and start buying recruiting classes, ASAP.   Fuck coaching salary, keep the asst coach on who was also an exHusker, dangle NIL to a huge degree, and buy the fucker talent.

They want to be Ohio State, but they'd be lucky to Wisconsin or Iowa now.   

• Hook 'Em 3

Seriously, Nebraska does have a rabid fanbase and they are willing to commit resources to their program. That puts them way ahead of most schools. Location is their huge drawback. They aren't that comparable to Iowa State or Iowa in that regard because Lincoln is a good bit west of Iowa City or Ames- farther from Chicago, Minneapolis, and Kansas City recruiting.

I did ask a Husker fan on Sunday if they regretted firing Pelini with his record. The guy didn't admit that, but he did say firing Solich was stupid and lamented where that took them. They are really down. Reminds me of me in the middle of Charlie Strong's second season.

Just now, Tex Pete said:

Seriously, Nebraska does have a rabid fanbase and they are willing to commit resources to their program. That puts them way ahead of most schools. Location is their huge drawback. They aren't that comparable to Iowa State or Iowa in that regard because Lincoln is a good bit west of Iowa City or Ames- farther from Chicago, Minneapolis, and Kansas City recruiting.

I did ask a Husker fan on Sunday if they regretted firing Pelini with his record. The guy didn't admit that, but he did say firing Solich was stupid and lamented where that took them. They are really down. Reminds me of me in the middle of Charlie Strong's second season.

Knowing that their bitch-made fan base is miserable is one of the few constant joys in today's rapidly evolving college football landscape. And we all know we'll be having this same conversation, likely in this same thread, in another 3-4 years. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Hurtlocker said:

However, the school isn't ok with developmental.   That's like living the 7-8 win life waiting for the one moment you hit glory with 10 wins.   Nebraska needs and expects ten wins now...and next year, and every year.   But that ship has sank.   They need to go the Aggy route and start buying recruiting classes, ASAP.   Fuck coaching salary, keep the asst coach on who was also an exHusker, dangle NIL to a huge degree, and buy the fucker talent.

They want to be Ohio State, but they'd be lucky to Wisconsin or Iowa now.   

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that the biggest fool's gold in college football is when you fire a coach because 8-4 isn't good enough.  Nebraska has done that a couple of times and of course Aggy has been doing that since R.C.

Basically what you're saying when you do that is that a 10-win season is the expectation. But how many programs out there realistically can expect to win 10+ games *every year*? There's about 3 maybe... Bama, OUsux, Ohio State,.... maybe Georgia now?  Even a place like LSU hasn't been able to sustain that.

Nebraska better get off their high fucking horse and hire a program builder/developer because that's 100% what they need. They are staring a 6th straight losing season in the face, which is pretty incredible.

1 hour ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Yeah I remember reading somewhere that the biggest fool's gold in college football is when you fire a coach because 8-4 isn't good enough.  Nebraska has done that a couple of times and of course Aggy has been doing that since R.C.

Basically what you're saying when you do that is that a 10-win season is the expectation. But how many programs out there realistically can expect to win 10+ games *every year*? There's about 3 maybe... Bama, OUsux, Ohio State,.... maybe Georgia now?  Even a place like LSU hasn't been able to sustain that.

Nebraska better get off their high fucking horse and hire a program builder/developer because that's 100% what they need. They are staring a 6th straight losing season in the face, which is pretty incredible.

Not even blue bloods: here's the winning percent of the big schools around Nebraska over the past 5 years:

• 89.2% - Ohio State (who they think they are)
  • 85.3% - Oklahoma (just for the old rivalry comparison)
  • 71.4% - Wisconsin
  • 71.2% - Oklahoma State
  • 69.8% - Iowa
  • 64.6% - Kentucky
  • 63.9% - Michigan State
  • 62.1% - Iowa State
  • 61.7% - Minnesota
  • 55.6% - Kansas State
  • 53.2% - Northwestern
  • 52.4% - Missouri
  • 49.2% - Purdue
  • 47.5% - Indiana
  • 41.1% - Colorado
  • 33.9% - Nebraska
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/12/2022 at 10:38 AM, mulletpelini said:

I get STL, it's a ShiThoLe, but KC?  You really hate KC?

Hate is too strong of a word. KC just seems like a more boring Dallas with more generic chain restaurants and fountains.

I mostly stay downtown and it’s just blah, I mean it’s nice enough for a midsized city but a good portion of restaurants shut down annoyingly early which also doesn’t improve my opinion of them. Arrowhead wasn't impressive. I ate BBQ at original Joe’s gas station location which was described to me as “the best BBQ in the US” but was only slightly better than Rudy’s with weird sauce.  I just don’t see the appeal.

If you have to go the zoo is okay (my kids liked it) and as a baseball fan/history buff I enjoyed attending a Royals game and both the WWI and African American baseball museum.  You could knock those all out in a single weekend and never go back and not miss much.

• Hook 'Em 1

https://theathletic.com/3593206/2022/09/14/nebraska-scott-frost-transfer-portal-attrition/

There’s a mantra that is often recited by college football coaches during the stressful early days of a job: When I get my players in here, we’ll be good.

At Nebraska, Scott Frost got the players he wanted for his brand of football. He and his staff worked hard to flip the roster and load up on their guys early in their tenure. And year after year, the record was not good.

You can choose to dissect any number of problems that contributed to a 16-31 run and a can’t-miss hire failing to work out. It’s never just one thing. But when a program recruits at a top-20 level and wins games at a bottom-20 level, it eventually becomes clear that something important is missing. Nebraska is struggling in the areas that define successful Midwestern programs: talent evaluation, development and retention.

That third one is becoming more essential every year. The Huskers have experienced too much attrition over the past four years and are paying the price for it this season. During the Frost era, Nebraska has lost 56 scholarship players to the transfer portal, second-most in the Big Ten. But here’s the real issue: 40 of those departures came from players in the staff’s first three recruiting classes.

Spoiler

Among those 56 scholarship players who transferred out, 45 stayed in the program for two years or less. Nineteen were gone by the end of their first year in the program.

Just as troubling was how many of these signees failed to make an on-field impact at Nebraska. Of the 56 transfers, 43 played less than 100 career snaps on offense or defense for the Huskers, according to data from Pro Football Focus. There were 19 who played zero snaps.

Attrition is always expected at the start of a tenure. The fact that a dozen Mike Riley signees chose to finish their careers elsewhere was not concerning, not when you’re given four years to build your roster. And individually, most of these departures could be easily dismissed as no big deal, just backups who were buried on the depth chart. Everyone has them.

But it’s hard to establish quality depth when you have too many misses. Nebraska’s class average under Frost ranked 19th-best nationally. There isn’t another Big Ten West program in that top 25. And this staff achieved that despite annual losing records. Whether they were pursuing the right type of players to build those top-20 classes is its own debate. But once you get them to campus, how do you get them to stay and succeed?

Every case is different, the circumstances always unique. Wan’Dale Robinson didn’t bolt for Kentucky for the same reasons Adrian Martinez went to Kansas State or Casey Rogers joined Oregon or Wynden Ho’ohuli went home to Hawaii. Some players choose to enter the portal, and some don’t have a choice. Whatever their reasons may be — playing time, injuries, disciplinary issues, coaching, homesickness — every miss adds up.

And it’s worth noting: Of the 40 players from Frost’s first three classes who transferred out, 14 ended up on another Power 5 roster. Most moved on to Group of 5 or FCS programs. There’s more playing time to be had there, no doubt, but those outcomes also suggest the Huskers weren’t landing enough Big Ten-caliber talent early on. So far, only three Frost signees have earned All-Big Ten honors.

These challenges aren’t unique to Nebraska. Every college football program is dealing with the popularity of the transfer portal, the one-time transfer exception and how they dramatically change the daily process of roster management. The average Big Ten program has lost 45 players to the portal since the start of the 2018-19 portal cycle. Here’s how Nebraska compares to its conference peers.

Scholarship transfers since 2018-19

Maryland, Rutgers, Illinois and Michigan State went through recent coaching changes, so their attrition totals make sense. Indiana had one extreme offseason — 27 players left in 2021-22 — that doubled its total. More importantly, though, take note of who’s at the bottom of this list.

Iowa, Wisconsin, Northwestern. One of them has won the Big Ten West every season since 2014. Frost came close but never once beat the Hawkeyes or Badgers. He lost three of five to the Wildcats. There’s a lesson in that, and it’s not just about scheme.

Those programs know what they’re looking for in recruiting, they generally develop players to their potential and they build veteran teams that win Big Ten games. Not one of them has lost more than 10 transfers in a single offseason over these past four years.

Can the next Nebraska staff figure out how to pull that off? Athletic director Trev Alberts told reporters Sunday he’s seeking a culture builder, one who’s adept at relating to today’s players and all that they go through. The next leader of the Huskers needs to build a winning culture that players are deeply invested in and don’t want to leave. That’s one way to help minimize the misses.

Nebraska has unsurprisingly graded out poorly in The Athletic’s recruiting class re-ranks for 2016, 2017 and 2018, which evaluate how a class panned out four years later. The reason is simple: Too many scholarship signees left, and too few of them made a significant impact. The 2019 class has had 11 departures. A dozen players are already missing from the 2020 class.

This staff had to load up on transfers to try to patch its holes for 2022. The starting quarterback, running back and top three receivers all joined the program this year. Five transfers are in the two-deep on defense. There’s nothing wrong with taking advantage of the portal to upgrade your talent, and this 1-2 team would be in worse shape without these pickups. But when you’re in save-your-job mode, the long-term aims take a backseat to short-term fixes.

The next head coach must get the best out of whoever they inherit. And they’ll need to get the Huskers back on the path back to being the kind of Midwest developmental program that, at its 1990s peak, had few peers. It’s not as difficult as Frost made it look. Just take a glance over the fence.

During the Frost era, the following schools have won eight-plus games in a season at least once: Ohio State, Michigan, Notre Dame, Cincinnati, Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa State, Kansas State, Minnesota, Indiana, Michigan State, Missouri, Northwestern and Purdue.

Almost everyone else has figured it out. Why can’t Nebraska?

• Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, Tex Pete said:

14 hours ago, Landomatic said:

speechless-no-comment.gif

Maybe he meant Kansas City BBQ.

11 hours ago, TKthunder2 said:

Hate is too strong of a word. KC just seems like a more boring Dallas with more generic chain restaurants and fountains.

Having lived in both, I can assure you...Dallas >>>>>>>>> KC

I mostly stay downtown and it’s just blah, I mean it’s nice enough for a midsized city but a good portion of restaurants shut down annoyingly early which also doesn’t improve my opinion of them. Arrowhead wasn't impressive. I ate BBQ at original Joe’s gas station location which was described to me as “the best BBQ in the US” but was only slightly better than Rudy’s with weird sauce.  I just don’t see the appeal.

Perfect description and examples. Found all of that plus some to be the case when I lived there.

If you have to go the zoo is okay (my kids liked it) and as a baseball fan/history buff I enjoyed attending a Royals game and both the WWI and African American baseball museum.  You could knock those all out in a single weekend and never go back and not miss much.

Pretty much. The most annoying part is that they think they're really something special. They're the most wannabe big city I've ever been in. They're kind of the aggy of cities. Think they're better than they are in just about every aspect, without enough self-awareness to know what they really are.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/13/2022 at 12:05 PM, Tex Pete said:

Lincoln is a good bit west of Iowa City or Ames- farther from Chicago, Minneapolis, and Kansas City recruiting.

Laugh.  There are high schools in Texas with more D1 prospects than the entire state of Minnesota.  I live here and have watched a shitload of HS ball, and it's abysmal.

On 8/28/2022 at 11:48 AM, DFW Horn said:

RIP, corn. It couldn't happen to a douchier administration, except aggy.

ohio state for putting "the" in front of their school name and having a tree nut for a mascot

and

sand aggy for firing the pirate a day before a huge bonus, because he was "mean"  to a player with a used-to-be-famous daddy are about as douchiest as you can get

Edited by redswingline
  • Haha 1

On 9/11/2022 at 9:24 AM, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Nebraska fired Solich in ‘03 after he went 9-3 capping off a 58-19 span over 6 years. Not great, not bad. 

Winning 75% of your games is not great, not bad?

Most of the +127 programs in the FBS would do a threesome with chaz bono and janet reno if you told them they would win 75% of their games for a decent amount of years.

• Drool 1