Scott Frost - a very rich unemployed person

immamac

My only trip to Dubuque I must have missed that part. But there were some cool old buildings.

I will tell you one place that is unequivocally uncool, Moline Illinois. There's like tumbleweeds in the streets a 10pm.

Dubuque is the part of Iowa that’s quasi Rust Belt. It’s the oldest city in the state by a century. There was a big push to gentrify downtown in the last 5 years and there have been a bunch of cool bars, restaurants, and a couple great breweries pop up in that time frame. Combine that with the old east coast style row houses, hills, old dive bars, and local mountain bike scene and there’s a lot for me to enjoy.

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Dubuque is the part of Iowa that’s quasi Rust Belt. It’s the oldest city in the state by a century. There was a big push to gentrify downtown in the last 5 years and there have been a bunch of cool bars, restaurants, and a couple great breweries pop up in that time frame. Combine that with the old east coast style row houses, hills, old dive bars, and local mountain bike scene and there’s a lot for me to enjoy.

My mom was born and raised in Dubuque. I never thought a Scott Frost thread would hit close to home but here we are.

Al, I've never been to Iowa and I can't ask my mom about it, as she passed years ago. She never really talked much about it. Would Dubuque be worth a visit? 

• Hook 'Em 1

My mom was born and raised in Dubuque. I never thought a Scott Frost thread would hit close to home but here we are.
Al, I've never been to Iowa and I can't ask my mom about it, as she passed years ago. She never really talked much about it. Would Dubuque be worth a visit? 

I like it. Go in the fall. It’s absolutely beautiful. Drive the Balltown Road to Promised Land winery, poke around White Pine Hollow Preserve, bike the Heritage Trail. Cross over to Potosi, WI and hit the brewing Museum. The Mississippi valley through the Driftless Area is spectacular. Big hills, picturesque farms, and old Catholic Church steeples popping up everywhere. One of the most underrated parts of America, IMO. But I’m biased.
  • Hook 'Em 2

Anyone else get the sneaking sense that Al has been embedding on the site for years in order to finally reveal he’s astroturfing for the Iowa tourism board?
A249776F-B3E1-492E-99CA-F288384F8B26.jpeg.cd6e25343c93b2c78f2d77553d142324.jpeg

I’ve been accused of being part of some secret Iowa chamber of commerce member before.

I just like where I’m from as much as most Texans do, but y’all are so not used to seeing that kind of energy coming from elsewhere that it’s jarring.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Anyone else get the sneaking sense that Al has been embedding on the site for years in order to finally reveal he’s astroturfing for the Iowa tourism board?
A249776F-B3E1-492E-99CA-F288384F8B26.jpeg.cd6e25343c93b2c78f2d77553d142324.jpeg

I love that they snuck fucking 7 Oaks ski hill into that. We used to get shitfaced there and fall down the gradual slope that passes for a hill in Boone.

52 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I’ve been accused of being part of some secret Iowa chamber of commerce member before.

I just like where I’m from as much as most Texans do, but y’all are so not used to seeing that kind of energy coming from elsewhere that it’s jarring.

As my BIL and I discussed last weekend: don't say too much. We don't need invaders there like Texas is getting. My small town needs to stay small.

I have never been to the Amana Colonies, but definitely want to check them out. Never have time when I am up in the summer.

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The Black Hills slam and Sioux Falls is underrated.

A segment of Sioux Falls desperately wants to be Minneapolis. It can get ridiculous with the local news pining to be a big city rather than a really nice smaller city. They regularly talk about creating an “urban” feel to the DTSF (“Downtown Sioux Falls”) area which is nice as is. Crime has risen in recent years, so maybe they see that as progress.

One news story I recall compared housing prices to “the other SF” which was San Francisco. Another recent story mentioned the population of Aberdeen only being 30,000 “compared to major cities like Fargo and Sioux Falls.”

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Nice. Yeah it's been at least 5 years since I was there and didn't get to take in much anyway as was day trip.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

I wouldn't call it jarring. Everyone should be proud of where they're from, unless they're from Oklahoma. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, nnm said:

Corn doesn’t need to track planes or decipher hotel decor.  They have sources embedded deep in the bowels of NU athletic complex. 

That might actually be true, but not for the reasons Husker fans want.  Fox is doing their Big Noon show for Oklahoma/Nebraska this weekend so Urban Meyer will be there.  I'm sure interviewing Alberts about what went into the decision to fire Frost and what they're looking for in their next coach is part of that.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

The funny part is I sorta don’t give a shit if they break the bank to hire Urban or whether he has success or not. If he’s having success at corn, everyone knows they have sold their souls to do so to become nationally relevant again and there is no way it doesn’t come at the cost of King Khakis at Michigan or Dickhead Day at OSU.

It kills the Nebraska doing shit the right way and puts another dagger in the best fans bullshit narrative to boot.

Let them overpay to hire Urban. When Texas was looking to bring him in it would have been seen as a master stroke accusation of talent, but now his failure in the NFL and the personal baggage that pushed him out the door makes him damages goods that a team would need to be desperate to hire at the price it would take to bring him in.

10 hours ago, Kennythetiger said:

Bunch of territorial cocksuckers in Yankton. 

Not that I would ever disrespect aggy, but Yankton College (Lyle Alzado’s alma mater) closed almost 40 years ago, yet they can still claim more Rhodes Scholars than aggy.

Yankton College 9

gig ‘em aggy 5

https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/media/45775/2021-rs_number-of-winners-by-institution.pdf

Edited by ImissWallyPryor
  • Hook 'Em 1

7 hours ago, ImissWallyPryor said:

Not that I would ever disrespect aggy, but Yankton College (Lyle Alzado’s alma mater) closed almost 40 years ago, yet they can still claim more Rhodes Scholars than aggy.

Yankton College 9

gig ‘em aggy 5

https://www.rhodeshouse.ox.ac.uk/media/45775/2021-rs_number-of-winners-by-institution.pdf

I’ll claim those Rhodes Scholars over Aggy too because my Alma Mater of Doane technically absorbed Yankton College when it closed, and handles the transcripts and such.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Trojan Man said:

That might actually be true, but not for the reasons Husker fans want.  Fox is doing their Big Noon show for Oklahoma/Nebraska this weekend so Urban Meyer will be there.  I'm sure interviewing Alberts about what went into the decision to fire Frost and what they're looking for in their next coach is part of that.

Don’t drag logic and common sense into discussions about Urban Meyer and college coaching jobs. That doesn’t fly around here. (Pun intended.)

18 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Isn't Iowa where the Mustard Museum is? And the world's largest ball of twine? When I get back from the FL Keys, I'm heading to Iowa with guarded anticipation.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Royalfan5 said:

I’ll claim those Rhodes Scholars over Aggy too because my Alma Mater of Doane technically absorbed Yankton College when it closed, and handles the transcripts and such.

A friend of mine played FB at YC when they closed. He transferred to Dakota Wesleyan. Steroid use was rampant in the NAIA in those days (Lyle Alzado lol). They didn’t test until years after the NCAA started. I know someone who plays at a D-II school (previously NAIA), and he said most of the lifting records are still from the NAIA days.

The Yankton College numbers include a college in ND that was basically a 2-year “business” college that only operated for about a decade before closing 100+ years ago. None of the Rhodes Scholars came from there, so aggy doesn’t have that excuse. 

22 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

My 2 cents. I lived in Ames for two years (MS) and my impressions from early 1990s.

- People were very polite. Even the newscasters were very diffident when hoping for a Cyclones win the coming Saturday. Quite a flip when I moved to Austin (PhD), though the results during early/mid 1990s in Austin were not much better.

- As a foreign student, I volunteered to speak at various schools across central Iowa about different cultures, along with other foreign students. The community hosted us in their homes (one student per family), and it was a blast. The teachers told us that our visit was the talk of the town (population 500) for the whole week, and for most of the kids, we were the first non-whites they had seen in their lives. They showed us their weekly paper that was just about our visit and what they were planning. They took us to visit farms. When they saw my job drop at the size of the farm (>1000 acres) and the equipment, in their typical mid-western modesty (I think), they said that this is one of the successful farms and other farmers are not doing as well. At one time, my host, who was a pastor, had to go out because of a road accident and it was his turn to be a volunteer firefighter. After dinner they arranged for community activities. Once I remember we went tobogganing in the night at a nearby hill. They had hot chocolate, smores, etc. 

- The cold was biting. I remember -40F with wind blowing snow horizontally and me trying to figure out where the sidewalk is. Summers were great. Biked everywhere.

- Lastly about ISU. Very pretty campus with great people. ISU engineering is very good and it should be ranked higher, imo.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

I'm off to find some recordings:

From The Athletic article on the OU-Nebraska game:

https://theathletic.com/3603202/2022/09/17/nebraska-observation-oklahoma-urban-meyer/

Like Brenden Stai, an assistant AD, on Friday who aired his grievances over more than an hour about Frost and Nebraska into a hot mic recorded online during breaks in a Lincoln radio show.