Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

14 minutes ago, ousux said:
19 minutes ago, NashLonghorn said:
NIL money talks 

And also could be the X factor that makes deciding to come back much easier. I wasn't around at the time but I don't think even Chris Simms was cruising around Austin in an Aston Martin, and probably didnt have an apartment/condo quite to the level of what Quinn enjoys.

Chris had an Escalade.

Edited by AnotherLawyer
Those were different times. With the exception of maybe a few Dellionaires, no one in Austin had an Aston Martin back then, so an Escalade was way up there.
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Frank Drebin said:

I was there last month and had one.  It was divine.  

Their Sunday chuck wagon buffet is just pure bliss.  Fried chicken.  CFS.  Mashed taters.  Veggies soaked in butter.  

Can’t do it often as it is so bad for you.  But it is delicious.  

Haven’t made it out there but I order Perini Dry Rub religiously and use it on just about everything.

One thing to note regarding QB salaries.....the difference in rookie contract is interesting

CJ Stroud(Rd 1 Pick 2) - 37.28 million
Justin Fields(Rd 1 Pick 11) - 18.7 million
Kenny Pickett(Rd 1 Pick 20) - 14 million
Will Levis(Rd 2 Pick 33) - 8.73 million
Kyle Trask(Rd 2 Pick 64) - 5.53 million
Hendon Hooker(Rd 3 Pick 68) - 5.7 million -- Should note that this is because the scale has risen a bit since Trask was selected)
Matt Corral(Rd 3 Pick 94) - 5.1 million
Steston Bennett(Rd 4 Pick 128) - 4.54 million

Edited by BurntOrange&White

I am glad we have Quinn, but I also remember Heisman rumbles early in the season.  He looks great at times, and as has been mentioned many times, has learned to throw the ball away.  The sort of things players learn after a year and a half as a starter.  But if I am being honest, flashes of brilliance are not why you take an early pick on a QB in the NFL.  Look at Quinn's TCU games the last two years.  Would you draft him off of those specific performances?  Last year obviously a big No, this year? A great half, followed by a 3 point 49 yard field goal?  I would also worry about Quinn's size and durability if I am an NFL manager.

The one thing I was sort of surprised about is that unlike so many of our QB's Quinn has not gotten bigger and packed on the muscle that will help his durability.  He reminds me a lot of Shane Buechele except a little smaller (and playing behind a decent OL).  So there is certainly a path for Quinn to the NFL.  I will give Quinn a little breather room coming off and injury, for his performance against TCU.  But the bottom line is, putting up 3 points in a half as an elite top flight QB, is not exactly confidence building, especially from and NFL perspective.

Now if Quinn comes out and lights the world on fire the next two weeks and kicks ass in the bowl (praying for Playoff here) game, then he can raise his stock.  But right now I look at him as a very talented not too durable.  It also might also be useful to remember that Quinn was expected to push CJ Stroud out as the starter at Ohio State.

All that being said I think somebody in the NFL will draft him this year.  I am still uncertain that he truly bleeds burnt orange, which is the main reason a player would return.  I think he has matured and realized what a great opportunity he has here at Texas.  But is that a respect for the program and a desire to better his future? Or has he fallen in love with the place? I hope it's the latter as much as the former, but I don't think anyone knows the real answer here.

I just want us to have a QB that can lead us not only in the first half, but in the second half as well to step on the neck of the opponent.  Quinn has an opportunity to show us this killer instinct this weekend.  

• Like 1

On 11/14/2023 at 10:41 AM, Rip76 said:

You think Brooks will come back?.  

I’d think (correct me if I’m wrong NIL guys) he’d make somewhat close to a 6th-7th round pick coming back and will for sure be the #1 RB prospect in the 25 draft.  Will be able to showcase he’s returned from injury and will have a consistency in his rehab (Same docs, PTs, ATs, etc) from surgery till return to play.  

But who knows.   Might be ready to go/start his career.  Could fall to a great situation, use the year to heal and strengthen and come back full go with some learning time under his belt.  

5 hours ago, horn4life said:

I am glad we have Quinn, but I also remember Heisman rumbles early in the season.  He looks great at times, and as has been mentioned many times, has learned to throw the ball away.  The sort of things players learn after a year and a half as a starter.  But if I am being honest, flashes of brilliance are not why you take an early pick on a QB in the NFL.  Look at Quinn's TCU games the last two years.  Would you draft him off of those specific performances?  Last year obviously a big No, this year? A great half, followed by a 3 point 49 yard field goal?  I would also worry about Quinn's size and durability if I am an NFL manager.

The one thing I was sort of surprised about is that unlike so many of our QB's Quinn has not gotten bigger and packed on the muscle that will help his durability.  He reminds me a lot of Shane Buechele except a little smaller (and playing behind a decent OL).  So there is certainly a path for Quinn to the NFL.  I will give Quinn a little breather room coming off and injury, for his performance against TCU.  But the bottom line is, putting up 3 points in a half as an elite top flight QB, is not exactly confidence building, especially from and NFL perspective.

Now if Quinn comes out and lights the world on fire the next two weeks and kicks ass in the bowl (praying for Playoff here) game, then he can raise his stock.  But right now I look at him as a very talented not too durable.  It also might also be useful to remember that Quinn was expected to push CJ Stroud out as the starter at Ohio State.

All that being said I think somebody in the NFL will draft him this year.  I am still uncertain that he truly bleeds burnt orange, which is the main reason a player would return.  I think he has matured and realized what a great opportunity he has here at Texas.  But is that a respect for the program and a desire to better his future? Or has he fallen in love with the place? I hope it's the latter as much as the former, but I don't think anyone knows the real answer here.

I just want us to have a QB that can lead us not only in the first half, but in the second half as well to step on the neck of the opponent.  Quinn has an opportunity to show us this killer instinct this weekend.  

Quinn’s path to getting here is so far from the norm that it’s hard to compare to other QBs.  As far as games played to this point, he’s behind by about 20 or so games (between missing HS SR year, redshirting at OSU, and missing games for injury here).

The other thing is history says year 3 is always better.  Look at the big prospects.  Outside of Williams, none were all world till their later years. Maye, Penix, Nix, DJ Ugi, etc were all the same. More comfortable in the system, game is slower, more confident.  Makes the game easier and the player look better 

10 minutes ago, BurntOrangeBlooded15 said:

I’d think (correct me if I’m wrong NIL guys) he’d make somewhat close to a 6th-7th round pick coming back and will for sure be the #1 RB prospect in the 25 draft.  Will be able to showcase he’s returned from injury and will have a consistency in his rehab (Same docs, PTs, ATs, etc) from surgery till return to play.  

But who knows.   Might be ready to go/start his career.  Could fall to a great situation, use the year to heal and strengthen and come back full go with some learning time under his belt.  

He should come back.

He would:

1. Recover for free without the pressure of having to perform right away.

2. Get his degree.

3. Receive emotional support from guys on the team and staff.

4. Stay relatively close to home while being able to do all of that.

5. Hopefully perform well enough when he comes back to get drafted higher than he would if he leaves now.

He'll have a veteran QB and better OL next year as well. Not a no-brainer, but it's definitely the safer play

• Hook 'Em 4

Ok. This year’s TCU game is a weird data point, since you point out the 2nd half collapse where we eked out a 3 point victory.

He had 10 passing attempts, completed 6 of them, for 72 yards. Our DC switched to play a bunch of extra DB’s with less pressure up front, allowing TCU to throw all over the place to score 20 points in the 4q.

6 hours ago, horn4life said:

CJ stroud was 10/26 for 76 yards and no TD's against northwestern in 2022. If you took just that performance would he be a first round pick? He threw 1 td against maryland and penn state with the best receivers in all of college football and probably a top 5 OL. The nfl only cares about potential. Quinn's potential is through the roof. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Atticus said:

He should come back.

He would:

1. Recover for free without the pressure of having to perform right away.

2. Get his degree.

3. Receive emotional support from guys on the team and staff.

4. Stay relatively close to home while being able to do all of that.

5. Hopefully perform well enough when he comes back to get drafted higher than he would if he leaves now.

He'll have a veteran QB and better OL next year as well. Not a no-brainer, but it's definitely the safer play

...and he doesn't have to have as many carries assuming other backs can stay healthy.

Kind of hard to compare a RB injury from 20 years ago like Willis Magahee or however you spell his name vs today. The league still took him and a pretty high draft point. The nfl considers RBs like kickers now. I think you are correct or close in that assessment.

On 11/14/2023 at 4:22 PM, MisterP said:

The one on the left was Blaine Irby's gf (wife) and I use to fuck her roommate. Significantly less attractive but her dad owned a famous steakhouse. I was never hungry. CSB.

Lol. One of his daughters was on my daughters soccer team 20 something years ago. She would be mid 30’s now.  He was a real nice guy. 

14 hours ago, BurntOrange&White said:

One thing to note regarding QB salaries.....the difference in rookie contract is interesting

CJ Stroud(Rd 1 Pick 2) - 37.28 million
Justin Fields(Rd 1 Pick 11) - 18.7 million
Kenny Pickett(Rd 1 Pick 20) - 14 million
Will Levis(Rd 2 Pick 33) - 8.73 million
Kyle Trask(Rd 2 Pick 64) - 5.53 million
Hendon Hooker(Rd 3 Pick 68) - 5.7 million -- Should note that this is because the scale has risen a bit since Trask was selected)
Matt Corral(Rd 3 Pick 94) - 5.1 million
Steston Bennett(Rd 4 Pick 128) - 4.54 million

This right here. It would be unwise to go this year. 2025 is wide open. 2024 is too stacked.

Who are the major prospects for the 2025 draft? I can’t name anybody off the top of my head. Not saying they aren’t out there, but the 2025 QB draft pool isn’t even close to the 2024 class.

It’s smarter for QE to wait instead of competing with dudes like Williams, Penix, Nix, Maye, Daniels, Sanders, McCarthy and Travis. And these are just the big names.

The NFL is also looking at guys like Leonard, Gabriel and Uiagalelei too. Who knows how many other unexpected QBs are also on the boards. Quinn could fall so far in this draft because the NFL is stupid and insane.

The 2025 NFL Draft is more of a sure thing to set QE up for life if he can be a BMF in the SEC next year.

• Hook 'Em 1

As someone else pointed out, Blake Corum has the same injury right around this same time of year and came back this season. His numbers may be down from last year but Michigan is also airing it out a bit more this season for whatever reason.

On 11/15/2023 at 2:54 PM, WinningIsHard said:

CJ stroud was 10/26 for 76 yards and no TD's against northwestern in 2022. If you took just that performance would he be a first round pick? He threw 1 td against maryland and penn state with the best receivers in all of college football and probably a top 5 OL. The nfl only cares about potential. Quinn's potential is through the roof. 

They aren't looking for potential in the first round. Team owners and GMs want results year one. They might bend a bit on a QB, but he'd better be ready in year two and that means playing time in year one. Since Quinn isn't going top ten, he would likely be drafted by a mediocre team team where he'd get cleanup duty for the last half of the season in order to get him ready for Season Two, but he could be stuck in mediocrity for the next five years.

He's better off getting another year of quality starts at Texas, then going top five for massive dollars. Yes, he'll be drafted by a shitty team, but he'd be ready to hit the ground running with a team that has a new core, kinda like the Texans and Stroud. 

It's still a crapshoot, but I'd like to see him here next year with Manning logging big playing time at number two on a team that scores a shitload of points.

Edited by Irish Wrist Watch

8 hours ago, Irish Wrist Watch said:

They aren't looking for potential in the first round. Team owners and GMs want results year one. They might bend a bit on a QB, but he'd better be ready in year two and that means playing time in year one. Since Quinn isn't going top ten, he would likely be drafted by a mediocre team team where he'd get cleanup duty for the last half of the season in order to get him ready for Season Two, but he could be stuck in mediocrity for the next five years.

He's better off getting another year of quality starts at Texas, then going top five for massive dollars. Yes, he'll be drafted by a shitty team, but he'd be ready to hit the ground running with a team that has a new core, kinda like the Texans and Stroud. 

It's still a crapshoot, but I'd like to see him here next year with Manning logging big playing time at number two on a team that scores a shitload of points.

Anthony Richardson was drafted 4th overall