Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

On 11/21/2023 at 7:41 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

I'm still doubtful he comes back .  yes I know the scuttlebutt , but if he grades out he's gone.

If he comes back it will probably blow people's minds because we haven't had a qb with all the surrounding pieces this good since McCoy 

Would be the best thing for Texas for an experienced Ewers to lead us through year 1 of SEC , seems like striking gold 

Most of the Heisman contenders are multi year starters and historically QBs tend to get better the more time in a system. 

Expectations for a Ewers return would be sky fucking high and I'm here for it if it happens 

His best projection is seventh best quarterback in the class this year, one I looked at didn’t have him top ten.   I think he would be smart to come back and work on progressing thru reads and his deeper balls and possibly move up to first round next year.  He’s late second at best right now probably.  

41 minutes ago, Surly Bevo said:

I think some of you underrate what goes on with the draft, and QBs in particular, between January and April. 

This is my take. After the combine/pro days the only two QBs I think would be ahead of Ewers is probably Caleb and Drake. I know this is a deep QB draft but I can’t see him making it out of the first round.

• Hook 'Em 2

I remember CJ Stroud having underwhelming Soph & Jr season campaigns at Ohio State in terms of showcasing complete QB ability. He was putting up numbers and winning games, but he didn’t look like a potential elite NFL QB until the Georgia game. He significantly improved his draft stock over night. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Quinn could do something similar if given the opportunity. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 11/21/2023 at 5:41 PM, BigHornedLurker said:

I'm still doubtful he comes back .  yes I know the scuttlebutt , but if he grades out he's gone.

If he comes back it will probably blow people's minds because we haven't had a qb with all the surrounding pieces this good since McCoy 

Would be the best thing for Texas for an experienced Ewers to lead us through year 1 of SEC , seems like striking gold 

Most of the Heisman contenders are multi year starters and historically QBs tend to get better the more time in a system. 

Expectations for a Ewers return would be sky fucking high and I'm here for it if it happens 

I’m all in for Ewers coming back next year.  I don’t give a shit about his draft prospects or his money, I give a shit about UT winning football games and I hope he comes back!

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I remember CJ Stroud having underwhelming Soph & Jr season campaigns at Ohio State in terms of showcasing complete QB ability. He was putting up numbers and winning games, but he didn’t look like a potential elite NFL QB until the Georgia game. He significantly improved his draft stock over night. It’s not out of the realm of possibility that Quinn could do something similar if given the opportunity. 

Ya'll playing.

After CJ's first starting season, he was already graded by ESPN NFL Draft tracker as the #1 QB ahead of Bryce Young, and #3 overall prospect.  No other QB came even close to those 2, except Will Levis at #20.

http://web.archive.org/web/20220915110030/https://insider.espn.com/nfl/draft/rankings?year=2023

• Like 1

14 hours ago, CastHorn said:

I remember CJ Stroud having underwhelming Soph & Jr season campaigns at Ohio State in terms of showcasing complete QB ability. He was putting up numbers and winning games, but he didn’t look like a potential elite NFL QB until the Georgia game. He significantly improved his draft stock over night.

That’s laughably inaccurate…

On 11/20/2023 at 9:59 AM, vandergriff said:

His decision will come down to going in the 3rd or 4th rd this year or potentially being a mid to lower 1st rounder after next season.

this is so laughably bad i couldn't resist.  if Quinn comes out this year, he'll be the 3rd of 4th QB taken in the draft.  he'll be a top 10 pick.  good lord, do you watch the NFL? do you follow the NFL draft at all?

look at some of the garbage currently starting in the NFL right now, starting around 15/16:

https://www.the33rdteam.com/nfl-week-12-quarterback-power-rankings-jordan-love-continues-rise-as-injuries-pile-up/

and look at the QBs who have been taken in the top 15 the last decade or so. guys who didn't have nearly as much natural talent as Quinn.  in 2021 alone, you had:

2021 1 1 1 1 Trevor Lawrence Jaguars Clemson
  2 1 2 2 Zach Wilson Jets Brigham Young
  3 1 3 3 Trey Lance 49ers North Dakota State
  4 1 11 11 Justin Fields Bears Ohio State
  5 1 15 15 Mac Jones Patriots Alabama

https://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/positions/qb

after Lawrence, you had 4 deadbeats taken in the top 15.

2019:

2019 1 1 1 1 Kyler Murray Cardinals Oklahoma
  2 1 6 6 Daniel Jones Giants Duke
  3 1 15 15 Dwayne Haskins Redskins

Ohio State

a midget headcase, the reach of all reaches, and a guy who is now dead.  all in the top 15.

2018:

2018 1 1 1 1 Baker Mayfield Browns Oklahoma
  2 1 3 3 Sam Darnold Jets USC
  3 1 7 7 Josh Allen Bills Wyoming
  4 1 10 10 Josh Rosen Cardinals UCLA

one guy here panned out (the guy who was the biggest project of the group) in what people thought was one of the deepest QB drafts ever.

NFL teams will reach early in the draft for their potential QB1 of the future. they draft on measurables.  Quinn has all the measurables and all the tools.  for any throwing/mechanical defects, NFL teams are convinced they can coach those out of them.  the idea that Quinn would be a mid-round pick in the next draft flies in the face of everything we've seen in the NFL draft for at least a dozen years.  i mean, jesus, Ryan fucking Tannehill was the 8th overall pick in 2012.  and look at this bumper crop of top 12 picks in 2011.

2011 1 1 1 1 Cam Newton Panthers Auburn
  2 1 8 8 Jake Locker Titans Washington
  3 1 10 10 Blaine Gabbert Jaguars Missouri
  4 1 12 12 Christian Ponder Vikings Florida State

Quinn would likely go after Caleb and Drake Maye, and that's it.  he's got way more upside than old man Bo Nix and old man Penix.  JJ McCarthy is a bus driver, at best, in the NFL.  Mac Jones v.2.  i kinda hope Quinn stays, although i'm not opposed to starting the Arch Manning experience next year.  but i kinda want Quinn to leave early just so we can see him be a top 10 pick.

Edited by Jive Turkey
  • Hook 'Em 1

59 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

this is so laughably bad i couldn't resist.  if Quinn comes out this year, he'll be the 3rd of 4th QB taken in the draft.  he'll be a top 10 pick. 

If he's a top 10 pick, why is his declaring for the draft an "if"?

And what analysts or sports sites has the 4th QB going in the top 10?

12 minutes ago, Atticus said:

They don’t. Quinn is currently seen as the 7-9th rated draft eligible qb. It may or may not change during the process.

I could be wrong, but I dont have a lot of faith in these early mocks. I think Caleb Williams and Drake May are the 2 stand outs. The next group is pretty malleable. I would bet the rankign in that group changes several times before the draft. 

Also, while its fun to make fun of the “mental midget” from Allen….he was the most decorated high school player of all time, won the heisman in his first year as a starter, took NFL rookie of the year the following year, and then stacked 2 consecutive Pro Bowls afterwards — 1 year in which he accounted for 37 touchdowns.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Vic Mackey said:

I hope this is the last season with Ewers.

I tried to be objective in the game thread. I think he is a good QB but not great. He was playing scared tonight and lacked touch on the long ball. He isn't horrible, but we need better. Almost everyone went bat shit crazy acting like I was calling their kid ugly 

• Hook 'Em 1

quinn didn’t play any worse tonight than he usually does. he’s had worse game this season. nothing revelatory happened tonight. our inconsistent qb with poor mechanics, poor pocket presence, and a big arm had another underwhelming performance where his play looked markedly worse than his stats. this is who he is. this is what he does. Sark and QE’s supporting cast have been helping him out all year, not the other way around. 

41 minutes ago, Your Mom said:

Anyone bitching about any godamn thing tonight can get fucked.  Enjoy this shit you miserable fucks.  

you’re currently bitching and you seem absolutely miserable, so, stones in glass houses and whatnot.

this is the thread dedicated to talking about quinn ewers. quinn played a game today, and we are talking about it in here. if you don’t like that, don’t read it. it’ll make you a lot less miserable.

Edited by shadow_operative

He’s still injured, he has to play because maalik is absolutely fucking trash. It’s crazy to shit on him for playing through his injuries to help the team win.  The reason he doesn’t throw a ton of INT’s is because he’s cautious with the ball and now that he can’t run when it’s there due to his shoulder then he eats some sacks that he normally wouldn’t. Surly is a wild place lol. Bitchin about our starting qb on a 11-1 football team after being 5-7 and losing to Kansas not long ago. Well done guys. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

every single criticism of quinn is “shitting on him” according to you guys. to 95% of this thread there’s no difference in, “he still has poor pocket presence” and “quinn sucks dick and i hope he gets run over by a bus.” it’s tiring. after every game it’s the same thing: “look at our record! all of you miserable fucks must have terrible lives to be in here just shitting all over a kid when we’re (insert record here). fucking assholes!!!” 

nobody is running into this thread to shit all iver QE. there’s about 2,500 posts being made in other threads all over this forum, meanwhile there’s like 3-4 posts in here commenting on QE in a critical way and you guys choose to come here and get yourselves all upset over it. you could be off celebrating the win but instead you’re in here making yourself miserable and calling other people miserable in the process. you’re doing it to yourselves.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

9 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

quinn didn’t play any worse tonight than he usually does. he’s had worse game this season. nothing revelatory happened tonight. our inconsistent qb with poor mechanics, poor pocket presence, and a big arm had another underwhelming performance where his play looked markedly worse than his stats. this is who he is. this is what he does. Sark and QE’s supporting cast have been helping him out all year, not the other way around. 

This is why you need to just lurk here for the most part. What you are seeing is a defense determined to take away QE and the passing game. That's why we ran for over 300 yards today. But of course your eyes are only focused on Quinn amd what he is doing. You are seeing Tech protecting against the pass and allowing themselves to get gashed by all 90 rbs on our roster rather than let Quinn and them kill them through the air. 

FINALLY!!!!

Finally we got to see the sort of complete performance where we got to enjoy a game from beginning to end, without a concern that we have squandered a lead and could very well shit the bed.  My wife was laughing at my behavior yesterday as I was practically giddy, being able to enjoy a game without the stress of impending doom.  Quinn lived up to the hype, for the first time since the Bama game IMHO.  There is so much talent on this team that blowouts like this one should have been MUCH MORE the norm, than the exception.  That being said this was a 5-7 team two years ago, and getting guys like Quinn on the roster helped bring in other great players.  

So big tip of the hat to Ewers on finally showing us what Texas should do to opponents that are overmatched at nearly every position on the field.  

I will also say that if Texas had been able to finish games like this one, instead of giving back huge leads to tighten up the score... there would be no debate at all regarding Texas being in the CFP.  That's why the killer instinct, is so important.  It's always, :just win baby!"  But in a subjective evaluation, like the CFP style point matter.  

But fuck, whatever, it was just fun as hell to not be worried in the second half about a collapse.  And it's a shame we spent most of the season fidgeting uncomfortably in the second half of so many games this season that should have been blowouts.  But 11-1 is amazing.  I personally think our win over Bama was the biggest win in all of college football this season.  But that was also a long time ago. Quinn's performance versus Tech was awesome.  But think of how much experience we could have gotten for our backups had this level of performance been consistent all season on the offensive side of the ball?

Great, great game!  Keep it rolling Quinn!

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck Around and Find Out 1