Quinn "La Joya" Ewers - The Man The Myth The Mullet

Coach pop a bitch

34 minutes ago, Thatguy said:

Easy to play well vs OU when you already lost 2 games, you've Ricky Williams in the backfield, and John Blake on the headsets across the field. Then you run it back vs a coach in their first season once again having no pressure on you because you'd already lost twice prior to the cotton. Lol

None of that makes a shit. This is Texas vs OU. Jeff Blake beat James Brown and company who went on to win the Big 12 with Ricky Williams in the backfield. That team that had lost twice "prior to the Cotton" still won its division. The season wasn't fucking over. 

And sure it is easy to play well vs OU when you aren't a loser who comes up small against OU.

Edited by Valmy77

5 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Sure, until the 90s. And now he's sandwiched between Garrett Gilbert and Tyrone Swoopes for career yards and tied with She Morenz for career touchdowns. Like I said, tough to compare to modern times. 

I mean he was a dominant player in college sports by all accounts. Just because he doesn’t have modern passing yards doesn’t mean he wasn’t a great all time QB. 
That said, what @Valmy77 said. 

Edited by hobbes2702

Even 22 years later, this is me remembering sitting in Texas Stadium watching us choke that game away:
giphy.gif

I got roped into a double date as wingman for a buddy that night. I had a friend tape the game for me. I watched as much of the game as possible while we were bowling. I saw the punt attempt that cost Texas the game. Haven’t been able to watch the tape yet.

12 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

None of that makes a shit. This is Texas vs OU. Jeff Blake beat James Brown and company who went on to win the Big 12 with Ricky Williams in the backfield. That team that had lost twice "prior to the Cotton" still won its division. The season wasn't fucking over. 

And sure it is easy to play well vs OU when you aren't a loser who comes up small against OU.

Again, we were aggy with Applewhite starting, but we beat OU so. One thing I have learned about football is that 9 times out of 10 the guy NOT starting is exactly where he should be with all things being equal. Only time that seems to consistently not be true is when the guy not starting is a freshman or the like. Also, we all loved roll left but that was a 5 loss team. Oh and its John Blake.

3 hours ago, Jkwellborn said:

I saw almost all of the game. I’m not gonna put myself through that. lol

You SHOULD go back and watch it. How we remember it when we were emotional and how we will see it now is totally different. Watching it again it was a total team loss. Especially knowing what I know now. For example Roy Williams just didn't always play hard. A lot of loafing from him over the years. As good as he was he could've been so much better. The defense let us down as did the defensive gameplan. On offense we had the weapons to spread teams out but we trotted out a fullback quite a bit. Majors first TD was 5 wide, and we should've been in that look a lot from the outset. Maybe Simms would've been better not playing football in a phone booth. Too many FGs. We couldn't convert once we got inside the RZ. Major missed a couple throws and we fumbled one that we recovered too. The easy move is to just blame Simms, and while he deserves his share for sure, we sucked all the way around in this game.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 minutes ago, scottsins said:

I would also add Major taking a sack that put us out of FG range. JT was literally the only thing other than a turnover that we could not allow to happen.

I would add Colorado was the 7th Ranked team in the country and can sack QBs and make plays.

That's probably why it is a fucking bad idea to turn it over and go down 29-10 in the second quarter. 

But fuck the rest of the team for only outscoring the 7th ranked team in the country 27-10 after Simms was pulled. Total losers. Total team effort. If they weren't miserable losers they would have outscored them 50-10.

Seems a little unreasonable. Seems like grasping at straws to excuse what the obvious problem was and that was the first half turnovers. The guys who didn't make those turnovers are not at fault. Crazy idea I know.

1 hour ago, Thatguy said:

You SHOULD go back and watch it. How we remember it when we were emotional and how we will see it now is totally different. Watching it again it was a total team loss. Especially knowing what I know now. For example Roy Williams just didn't always play hard. A lot of loafing from him over the years. As good as he was he could've been so much better. The defense let us down as did the defensive gameplan. On offense we had the weapons to spread teams out but we trotted out a fullback quite a bit. Majors first TD was 5 wide, and we should've been in that look a lot from the outset. Maybe Simms would've been better not playing football in a phone booth. Too many FGs. We couldn't convert once we got inside the RZ. Major missed a couple throws and we fumbled one that we recovered too. The easy move is to just blame Simms, and while he deserves his share for sure, we sucked all the way around in this game.

Ok I rewatched the first half. Just to remind myself. Thanks for that.

And what the fuck are you trying to pull? Are you kidding me?

35:55

49:03

Look at the beautiful int by Vasher at 1:10:06

And look what happens at 1:11:00...and then 1:16:30.

My God I had forgotten just how horrible it was. What the fuck was up with that fumble? I haven't seen a Texas player make a play that bad since Charlie Strong was here.

Those were all Freshman Ehlinger type interceptions. That fumble was unforced, he wasn't stripped he just fucking dropped it for no reason. Are you sure 5 wide would have suddenly made those passes not be thrown in the middle of several defenders each time? Would five wide have prevented that sack/fumble? And fuck that garbage anyway, Ced was averaging over 7 yards a carry and you watched that think we should have been going 5 wide? Are you kidding me? 5 wide from the start with Ced? Fuck off. The only reason we went five wide is because we were down 29-10 and Ced was hurt.

If I didn't know Simms was a Junior, I would have thought he was a Freshman starting his first game right out of High School.

Yeah Vasher and the defense totally let us fucking down there. How dare they not shut out the #7 team in the country after four first half turnovers? What fucking losers. Sure they had a hard time stopping Colorado once they kept getting all those free possessions, but maybe Colorado was fucking good and if you hand them four free possessions you are going to lose?

This is craziness. Pure mythology you are selling me that this was a team effort. No Wide out tipped a ball to the Buffs. Each pass was right in the hands of the defender, there were no amazing Colorado plays. Simms basically just handed them the ball on that fumble.

• Hook 'Em 3

15 minutes ago, troph said:

What the hell is happening in here? 

These fuckers are torturing me!

However we remember what happened after that 2001 Championship Game. The Baseball Team went out and won the College World Series. So, in a way, it was kind of nice to remember that while watching that football shitshow.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

6 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

These fuckers are torturing me!

However we remember what happened after that 2001 Championship Game. The Baseball Team went out and won the College World Series. So, in a way, it was kind of nice to remember that while watching that football shitshow.

The pain of that game for me was largely assuaged by 70 to fucking 3 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

What. How about James Street v Vince Young? Slightly different styles, but can't leave all this talk of great QBs out without bringing up Street. Seems after a highly touted Texsas team went 0-1-1 in their first two games of the season, Street took over for would-be superstar Bill Bradley and went on to finish the season undefeated. Won a bowl game, then went undefeated the next season winning a National Championship (against Notre Dame) and leaving the 40 Acres with a 21 or 22 game win streak which finally ended a season later in a rematch with the Fighting Irish in the Cotton Bowl. Texas won a shitload of games back in the day.

• Hook 'Em 2

5 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

2001 big 12 championship game thread

I had to meet a guy at a bar the other night - for a really hard convo - and that game was on or a documentary about it was on - possibly why it came up here. Fml I’m watching the game and talking to him about hard shit and I’m thinking what the hell. And I’ve never ever been more drunk than at that game. Geez.

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Are you sure 5 wide would have suddenly made those passes not be thrown in the middle of several defenders each time? Would five wide have prevented that sack/fumble? And fuck that garbage anyway, Ced was averaging over 7 yards a carry and you watched that think we should have been going 5 wide? Are you kidding me? 5 wide from the start with Ced? Fuck off.

Yes I do. The more receivers you spread out the easier it is to see what the defense is in. There is a reason the game has evolved past the fullback. We were very stubborn offensively back in those days. Very. See Vince 03-early 04. We scored 0 points with Ced Benson in the backfield vs OU. 0! Not sure if you've ever played QB but a lot of QBs are following the route with their eyes, so they throw to the spot the receiver will be in and there is a defender sitting on the route ahead. Same thing happened to Quinn last week. The easy solution is to throw routes to the outside where the read is cleaner and/or put more receivers out there and that forces box guys out and prevents them muddying the waters. You can keep Ced in and go 4 wide, and then send Ced out in the flat which pulls a backer with him. Either way, we were always slow to evolve on offense which is why we got our ass handed to us vs Stoops every year. Too easy an offense to diagnose. Regardless, this game was on the coaches. We had an advantage at receiver. A big one. Sometimes you have to take what is available. We needed to see how good their 3rd and 4th DBs were. Just a dumb gameplan from Texas there. After the last Simms turnover we go 5 wide and get a wide open BJ up the seam. Then what do we do after that? You guessed it, go right back to what wasn't working. Punt, FG, missed FG, FG. Then when the game is pretty much over on our last drive we go 5 wide again and score another TD. I get blaming Simms but you had an advantage and didn't use it. Then Ced goes out giving you all the excuse in the world to use that advantage and you still stubbornly didn't use it.

• Like 1

Remember when Simms came to practice in a limo?

Also remember when him and the 49ers coach and those other guys all tattooed each other’s initials on their ankles?

Incorrect. They all had the letter “W” tattooed on them, to signify their connection with the movie “The Wood”. Not sure if that’s worse than each others initials or not, TBH.