Maalik Murphy should starts wherever he transfers

Zeus

31 minutes ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Probably because the teams who are after instant help at QB don't want to wait to see who he'll choose after CFP. They want to know who they have so they can recruit the rest of their needs on offense. I don't blame him. The schools that need QBs are going to get them right now. Four of the top 10 QBs in the portal have already transferred/committed.

No. CFP entrants have extra time. It's 100% because he wants to be in the early group and choose his new school rather than be limited to what's left.

They don't have "extra time" per se. 

It closes when it closes, regardless. What they do have is a 5 day window. 

This weekend would be the last weekend to make visits and he wouldn't be able to make visits because we start practice tomorrow. 

It's simple. 

Edited by BurntOrange&White
  • Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, markstanco said:

Correct, until Jan 2.  But the final is Jan 8th.  The portal dates are totally BS.  

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4/media-center-di-council-approves-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows.aspx

New transfer windows for Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football will include a 30-day window beginning the Monday after FBS conference championship games. For student-athletes on teams that compete in the postseason (for example: College Football Playoff, FCS championship, bowl games) there will be an additional five-day transfer window following the contest.

That is just not true.. That also ignores that Sark said you could put your name in and stay for the playoffs. I dont hold anything against Maalik. He is doing what he thinks is best for him. It was it is and I would probably do the same, but he had the option to stay with the team. I believe others are taking Sark up on his offer. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

https://www.ncaa.org/news/2023/10/4/media-center-di-council-approves-changes-to-notification-of-transfer-windows.aspx

New transfer windows for Football Bowl Subdivision and Football Championship Subdivision football will include a 30-day window beginning the Monday after FBS conference championship games. For student-athletes on teams that compete in the postseason (for example: College Football Playoff, FCS championship, bowl games) there will be an additional five-day transfer window following the contest.

That is just not true.. That also ignores that Sark said you could put your name in and stay for the playoffs. I dont hold anything against Maalik. He is doing what he thinks is best for him. It was it is and I would probably do the same, but he had the option to stay with the team. I believe others are taking Sark up on his offer. 

Didnt know about the 5 added days.  Still, All the "good schools" will have likely grabbed QBs already.  

Other than Alabama, who all was scrambling last year after their spring game?  Had to be many more. 

18 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

People have been saying that the portal and NIL was going to ruin college football. I didn't see why that had to be the case. I get it now. I used to love the NFL, but free agency pretty much has ruined it. The team doesn't mean anything. I saw Harvey Martin interviewed one time. They asked him about throwing a funeral wreath in the Redskin's locker room one time after they kicked their asses. He said he can't believe the way players laugh and hug the other teams players after games. He said back then the teams hated each other. That was great football. The NFL has become almost unwatchable now. I still love college football but it's headed the same direction.

Maybe try WWE

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 1

49 minutes ago, BurntOrange&White said:

They don't have "extra time" per se. 

It closes when it closes, regardless. What they do have is a 5 day window. 

This weekend would be the last weekend to make visits and he wouldn't be able to make visits because we start practice tomorrow. 

It's simple. 

In 2022, the NCAA not only extended the transfer period and based it on the CFP selection date, but also passed a rule that "reasonable accommodations" would be made for players on teams participating in the national championship game. Not only does he have extra time per se based on last year's rule change, if Texas makes it to the NCG he gets a reasonable accommodation to transfer if he wants. The simple part is that he will be choosing from what's left if he stays for the CFP, so he needs to take his visits while he can and choose while there are still a bunch of teams who still want QBs.

Edited by AnotherLawyer
Left out extended "for 5 days for CFP participants."

I know its a pipe dream but it sure would be nice if player and coach movement couldn't happen until after the season/bowls/championship concluded.  I hate that coaches and players that have invested so much during the regular season have to forgo the reward for their hard work with their team in order to find a new home/opportunities.  It sucks that a lot of the teams in the bowls are going to look completely different that the one that earned the invite.  I can begrudgingly understand the players that expect to be drafted early not playing to avoid injury but by putting the transfer window during bowl season it forces the players to exit their current team before the payoff.

Is there not someway to just move the window?

I suppose that the beginning of the next semester is the problem for the winter window.  Does it make sense to only have a spring transfer window?

• Hook 'Em 1

My dad's friend coached a highly recruited HS basketball player in the 80s. Dean Smith told him and 2 other point guards that whoever committed first was his point guard and he wasn't pursuing the other 2 after the first guy committed.

Gotta assume a similar thing happens with QBs at the top schools.

9 minutes ago, hookem17 said:

If he doesn’t leave now he won’t be able to enroll for the spring semester at his next school. If he’s not enrolled, he can’t practice. That’s why he’s forced to go now. 

We see transfer get in late every year. AD Mitchell hit the portal on the 18th,committed to Texas on Jan 20th, and was at Texas in the spring. 

Edited by Codaxx
  • Hook 'Em 1

Everyone needs to remember Maalik is a QB.  

A) going on visits takes time from prep for the bowl.  This isn't like any other position.

B) Other schools usually only have one spot for a QB transfer and they absolutely need that player to be there as soon as possible.

C) As #2 all year he's going to need to work extra hard to find a good spot.  This isn't like a starting QB transferring from Middle Tenn State to Auburn.

I have no problem with what he is doing even with the extra transfer window in Jan.  My guess is the difference between between Maalik and Arch after a season of reps isn't going to be a whole lot different.  

The reality is if this is(who QB2 is) an issue in 2 weeks we are proper fucked anyway.

• Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, Nuge said:

I know its a pipe dream but it sure would be nice if player and coach movement couldn't happen until after the season/bowls/championship concluded.  I hate that coaches and players that have invested so much during the regular season have to forgo the reward for their hard work with their team in order to find a new home/opportunities.  It sucks that a lot of the teams in the bowls are going to look completely different that the one that earned the invite.  I can begrudgingly understand the players that expect to be drafted early not playing to avoid injury but by putting the transfer window during bowl season it forces the players to exit their current team before the payoff.

Is there not someway to just move the window?

I suppose that the beginning of the next semester is the problem for the winter window.  Does it make sense to only have a spring transfer window?

That dang academic calendar is getting in the way of football. I wonder if some schools will create some sort of short spring session (like the 6 week summer sessions)  that conveniently starts right before spring practice starts.  

All you folks defending the modern NFl are full of crap. Coldplay makes a lot of money but their music is still garbage. And sorry dipshits, but I was born long after the boomer generation, I just started watching football real young. This site would be a lot more interesting if most of you were not afraid to post any opinion that hasn't been officially vetted by the mob on here. What do you have to lose?

• Fuck You 6

1 hour ago, dcar00 said:

Everyone needs to remember Maalik is a QB.  

A) going on visits takes time from prep for the bowl.  This isn't like any other position.

B) Other schools usually only have one spot for a QB transfer and they absolutely need that player to be there as soon as possible.

C) As #2 all year he's going to need to work extra hard to find a good spot.  This isn't like a starting QB transferring from Middle Tenn State to Auburn.

I have no problem with what he is doing even with the extra transfer window in Jan.  My guess is the difference between between Maalik and Arch after a season of reps isn't going to be a whole lot different.  

The reality is if this is(who QB2 is) an issue in 2 weeks we are proper fucked anyway.

Maalik had his choices.. He is choosing to maximize his opportunity. There is no reason to make it out to be anything more than that. It doesnt make him a shithead. It is just par for the course in today's landscape. 

• Hook 'Em 1

6 hours ago, CoTex said:

Do you even moneyball, bruh?

Turns out, winning gets a LOT easier when you have Tim Hudson ($850k), Mark Mulder ($800k), and Barry Zito ($500k) under contract for <$1m each, the latter two still on their rookie deals. Fucking Chad Bradford and Scott Hatteberg weren't the reasons that team went to the playoffs. 

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

Maalik had his choices.. He is choosing to maximize his opportunity. There is no reason to make it out to be anything more than that. It doesnt make him a shithead. It is just par for the course in today's landscape. 

sure he did but the other choices weren't really good at all, especially for a QB2 who didn't play much.

6 hours ago, CoTex said:

Do you even moneyball, bruh?

Turns out, winning gets a LOT easier when you have Tim Hudson ($850k), Mark Mulder ($800k), and Barry Zito ($500k) under contract for <$1m each, the latter two still on their rookie deals. Fucking Chad Bradford and Scott Hatteberg weren't the reasons that team went to the playoffs. 

Since Duke has been mentioned as team with interest in Maalik...

Manny Diaz dips into his past for Duke offensive coordinator hire 

An assistant under OC Rhett Lashlee on his Miami staff, Manny Diaz has tabbed Jonathan Brewer (SMU) as his offensive coordinator at Duke.

ZACH BARNETT    21 HOURS AGO

SMU co-offensive coordinator/QB coach Jonathan Brewer will be the offensive coordinator at Duke, according to multiple reports on Thursday.

Brewer spent the past two seasons at SMU, and was elevated to co-offensive coordinator in February. 

Overall, though, Brewer spent the past 11 seasons working under Rhett Lashlee, who was Diaz's offensive coordinator for his final two seasons at Miami. 

Working under Lashlee and Diaz at Miami, Brewer helped the Hurricanes jump from 98th to 32nd in total offense, 90th to 26th in scoring, and from 52nd to 29th in passing.

SMU ranked among the top 10 nationally in passing touchdowns over the last two seasons. Mustangs passers threw for 7,823 yards and 68 scoring strikes over that span. SMU is also one of six teams to average 40 points per game this season, which helped the team win its first conference championship since 1984.

19 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

Yeah, and Brad Pitt and the fat guy from The Hangover to manage them.  Even I could win with that crew.

21 minutes ago, capnamerca said:

You forgot David Justice and Jeremy Giambi!

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

Since Duke has interest in Maalik...

Manny Diaz dips into his past for Duke offensive coordinator hire 

An assistant under OC Rhett Lashlee on his Miami staff, Manny Diaz has tabbed Jonathan Brewer (SMU) as his offensive coordinator at Duke.

ZACH BARNETT    21 HOURS AGO

SMU co-offensive coordinator/QB coach Jonathan Brewer will be the offensive coordinator at Duke, according to multiple reports on Thursday.

Brewer spent the past two seasons at SMU, and was elevated to co-offensive coordinator in February. 

Overall, though, Brewer spent the past 11 seasons working under Rhett Lashlee, who was Diaz's offensive coordinator for his final two seasons at Miami. 

Working under Lashlee and Diaz at Miami, Brewer helped the Hurricanes jump from 98th to 32nd in total offense, 90th to 26th in scoring, and from 52nd to 29th in passing.

SMU ranked among the top 10 nationally in passing touchdowns over the last two seasons. Mustangs passers threw for 7,823 yards and 68 scoring strikes over that span. SMU is also one of six teams to average 40 points per game this season, which helped the team win its first conference championship since 1984.

Edited by LTtxfan

As much as I don't want Mr. Murphy to leave, I more want him to be successful wherever he lands. He's been an integral part of why this team has found success. Unfortunately, the dynamics of the way the football in our time doesn't offer the opportunity to have more than one person on the field to sling the ball around, outside of "trick plays." Everything is predicated upon yards accumulated for specific stats. While that works now, it's a broken system.

1 hour ago, Farmer Vincent said:

All you folks defending the modern NFl are full of crap. Coldplay makes a lot of money but their music is still garbage. And sorry dipshits, but I was born long after the boomer generation, I just started watching football real young. This site would be a lot more interesting if most of you were not afraid to post any opinion that hasn't been officially vetted by the mob on here. What do you have to lose?

The Office Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

• Hook 'Em 1

6 minutes ago, HOOK&#x27;EMHOOAH said:

As much as I don't want Mr. Murphy to leave, I more want him to be successful wherever he lands. He's been an integral part of why this team has found success. Unfortunately, the dynamics of the way the football in our time doesn't offer the opportunity to have more than one person on the field to sling the ball around, outside of "trick plays." Everything is predicated upon yards accumulated for specific stats. While that works now, it's a broken system.

Really hope Maalik stays away from baylor.  Wonder which team (Duke/Beavers) has the better OL/RB/WRs group ??? 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Codaxx said:

We see transfer get in late every year. AD Mitchell hit the portal on the 18th,committed to Texas on Jan 20th, and was at Texas in the spring. 

Mitchell received "reasonable accommodations" for being rostered on a NCG participant. And WR isn't the same as QB. He entered the portal 9 days after the game and committed to Texas two days later.

Edited by AnotherLawyer
Also, you could late register up to January 25.

3 hours ago, AnotherLawyer said:

Mitchell received "reasonable accommodations" for being rostered on a NCG participant. And WR isn't the same as QB. He entered the portal 9 days after the game and committed to Texas two days later.

That was my point. Universities make exceptions for football players. 

13 hours ago, ztejas said:

I just don't understand why he's leaving the team before the CFP.

I really think during his sit down with Sark he was told to go ahead and go to get a jump on his future and that Sark would put in a word if needed to help him get where he needs to be. 

Partly because Sark is a good dude who has his players interests at heart and partly because Sark knows if a backup is needed Arch gives them a better chance to survive it than Maalik at this point. 

That said, if he goes to an SEC school I'm gonna 100 percent play up the "this mofo quit on our 2023 NC team!" angle if we play him. 

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, Codaxx said:

I guess he has the size and arm strength to dream on playing in the league so whatever.

I’m not mad at him for maximizing his opportunity- as he sits fit- and this isn’t sour grapes because o hated the take and rolled my eyes at every mention of him ever.
At the end of the day I don’t get it and hate it for him- this is likely going to be the biggest accomplishment he will ever be a part of in his life (outside himself and the potential to have a great marriage or be a good father or do the stuff that really matters) and he’s throwing it away so he can gain 1 more semester of spring practice at a bottom tier P4 school or go to leftover Oregon State. I think these guys get a lot of bad advice and training but maybe he hits the jackpot, becomes an actual NFL talent and can point to this decision as the reason. 

19 hours ago, Farmer Vincent said:

I don't know. Today's league has a lot more parity than decades ago. Anyway watching the old NFL is limited by the fact that I already know who wins the Super Bowl in 1978. Kind of kills the suspense.

Anyway Maalik is probably not going to Washington:

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/39114260/ex-mississippi-state-qb-rogers-transfer-washington

Former Mississippi State quarterback Will Rogers, who ranks No. 2 in SEC history in passing yards, told ESPN on Friday that he's committed to transferring to Washington. 

Rogers is on an official visit at the school this weekend, and he told ESPN he committed to the staff. He has one year of eligibility remaining and will be immediately eligible. Rogers threw for 12,315 yards over four seasons in Starkville. 

Rogers will be favored to replace Heisman Trophy finalist Michael Penix next season, as Penix led the Huskies to an undefeated season, the Pac-12 title and a bid in the College Football Playoff. 

1 hour ago, Wulaw Horn said:

I guess he has the size and arm strength to dream on playing in the league so whatever.

I’m not mad at him for maximizing his opportunity- as he sits fit- and this isn’t sour grapes because o hated the take and rolled my eyes at every mention of him ever.
At the end of the day I don’t get it and hate it for him- this is likely going to be the biggest accomplishment he will ever be a part of in his life (outside himself and the potential to have a great marriage or be a good father or do the stuff that really matters) and he’s throwing it away so he can gain 1 more semester of spring practice at a bottom tier P4 school or go to leftover Oregon State. I think these guys get a lot of bad advice and training but maybe he hits the jackpot, becomes an actual NFL talent and can point to this decision as the reason. 

You have 3 Texas players that are in the portal and participating in the playoffs. I think he could have threaded the needle, if he chose to do so. You also have some QBs that, I don’t think have cemented their future college plans. I think Beck, JJ McCarthy, and Quinn all are possible NFL entrants. I am not convinced rushing into a marriage is the best course of action, unless you get a bullet proof situation like Ohio State. I don’t think Baylor (what a mess) or Oregon State (basically G5 now) qualify

2 minutes ago, Codaxx said:

You have 3 Texas players that are in the portal and participating in the playoffs. I think he could have threaded the needle, if he chose to do so. You also have some QBs that, I don’t think have cemented their future college plans. I think Beck, JJ McCarthy, and Quinn all are possible NFL entrants. I am not convinced rushing into a marriage is the best course of action, unless you get a bullet proof situation like Ohio State. I don’t think Baylor (what a mess) or Oregon State (basically G5 now) qualify

Agreed. I’m trying not to shit on his decision because I don’t know what he values,  it from the perspective of a 45 year old who has now lived some life there’s no way I would tell him to skip out on the playoffs at a place he likes with guys he likes so that he can lock down a visit to Oregon Fucking State. 
But, if it makes him happy cool, whatever. 

I just don't think Maalik is ready to be a starting QB for michigan, jawja or Texas.  He might be better served to play for a team in a weaker conference than the SEC or the B10.

Plenty of QBs in the NFL didn't play in the SEC or the B10.  Maalik needs a ton of reps while having success -- hope he gets a decent OL and a good QB/OC situation.  

• Like 1

Since Maalik considering going to play for the beavers...   Maybe @Sbbruin can weigh in about Gunderson.

Screenshot_20231216-095510_kindlephoto-8331514.png.1bce08b74e4c4311cdc8c0f3a4620b3d.png

UPDATED: December 3, 2023 at 3:57 p.m.

UCLA football coach Chip Kelly confirmed quarterback coach Ryan Gunderson has left the program for Oregon State.

Gunderson was reported as a candidate to become the offensive coordinator at Oregon State earlier this week.

“It’s an opportunity for Gundy to move up, to call plays and be a coordinator,” Kelly said. “We’ve had a couple in the last couple of years. … We’re always happy when our coaches get an opportunity to move up and advance.”

Kelly ruled Gunderson out to coach for the LA Bowl on Dec. 16 and said he’s already working on recruiting for the Beavers.

He is no stranger to Oregon State, having played and coached at the university. Gunderson was a quarterback for the Beavers from 2003-07 before becoming a graduate assistant coach in 2008.

The move also reunites Gunderson with former teammate Trent Bray, who was hired in November as the Beavers’ head coach following Jonathan Smith’s departure to Michigan State.

14 hours ago, Codaxx said:

That was my point. Universities make exceptions for football players. 

It was an NCAA rule change in August last year that allowed this. The year before he wouldn't have been able to. It's not universities that make the exception. As long as registration was still open (it was) and he was rostered on a NCG team (he was), he could enter the portal and transfer.

People not understanding that every college coach looking for a QB in the portal want a signature on the dotted line (and not just a commitment) ASAP, is insane. The QB position is by far the most important on a college team so they want to get it right and early. They can back fill other positions once that is locked in. It’s a different calculus in the portal for the QB position vs all others.

• Hook 'Em 1