Texas opens as an 11 point favorite v West Virginia

TexasMan

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Remember when we were double digit favorites against Tech? That was cool. 

I don’t. I remember the line opening at 5 and moving to 7. 

But I do remember people laughing saying vegas doesn’t know this team and we were 3-0 against the spread and we were going to run Tech out of the stadium.

14 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I don’t. I remember the line opening at 5 and moving to 7. 

But I do remember people laughing saying vegas doesn’t know this team and we were 3-0 against the spread and we were going to run Tech out of the stadium.

I was definitely one because I viewed Tech as a bad team. Which I still believe. I didn't realize Texas was still this shitty. 

I'm still going to take Texas to cover at -9 next weekend because like ULM, UTSA, and Texas Tech I don't view WV as a good team. Maybe I'm setting myself up for another beating but so far I'm 2-1 rolling the dice by fading bad teams. 

I'll stick with it until Sark proves he's just a complete moron. 

6 minutes ago, Revolution512 said:

Congrats on your $10

That's a nonresponsive to anything I said. 

Texas has also been good, at home, against the spread dating back to last season. Believe they're now 7-2 ATS at home under Sark. There's still reasons to take Texas. 

Edited by Rickylovesweed
  • Like 1

Why is everyone saying WV is terrible? I watched them lose @ top 25 Pitt in their first game by 7, and they were in it to the end. They lost to KU at home but this year’s KU seems like a different beast. They steamrolled their cupcake and then beat VaTech on the road by 3 TDs.

I don’t pay WVU too much attention but I don’t see the evidence that they suck as much as many here seem to think they do.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Tech only lost by 13 to a top 10 team on the road. They also whipped Miss St. in their bowl game last year. Not saying the loss is ok but maybe they aren't as bad as you think? 

With Card, we are the same team as last year. With Ewers there is a chance to be much better. I think it's time to let the freshmen play on the DL. Our upperclassmen just don't give a shit.

52 minutes ago, Left Coast said:

Why is everyone saying WV is terrible? I watched them lose @ top 25 Pitt in their first game by 7, and they were in it to the end. They lost to KU at home but this year’s KU seems like a different beast. They steamrolled their cupcake and then beat VaTech on the road by 3 TDs.

I don’t pay WVU too much attention but I don’t see the evidence that they suck as much as many here seem to think they do.

I think it's a conclusion people jumped to with the Kansas loss, and those don't always get revised with hindsight even if they maybe should.

I don't think they're abjectly terrible. That said, they're not particularly good either. I'd be pretty surprised to see them finish anything better than 8th in the league. They profile roughly on Tech's level, with a better QB (though less mobile), DL, and worse back 7. I think the less mobile bit is important, because the interior DL did generate some pressure vs Tech, but the guy just ran away from it. Daniels isn't as capable in that regard.

Kind of a weird one to handicap between the Ewers situation (really every Texas game is). I can see a game script where, if Ewers is healthy enough to play and is kept upright, he probably gets the better of a bad WVU pass defense. That also opens up the run, which overall results in the offense scoring plenty of points, and WVU playing mostly from behind, which actually does play into PK's defensive strategy. Texas wins comfortably in that scenario. If it's Card, or Texas allows a lot of pressure, or Ewers has multiple turnovers, it gets tighter to the point that coaching starts to matter more. Texas cannot feel good about any game where that can be said, and any of those things are well within the realm of possibility.

Also note it'll be in the high 80's at kickoff. We're excited for the dry air and relative cooldown, but it'll be the hottest game WVU's played to date by a relatively wide margin. I don't think it will be a huge factor, because the sun will be going down and the turf won't be a ridiculous 120 degrees all game, but Texas may have a bit of a conditioning advantage.

• Hook 'Em 1

Like errbody else hereabouts, I'm tempted to take the points. I would if I were certain that Card's still the one and only QB that Sark will play, and/or Patterson will be tasked to come up with the scheme and practice for this week instead of putting his eyeballs on 0U exclusively. Only Card? Only 'Kowski? Take that free money.

11 points feels like a ton, even with Ewers coming back. WVU lost a tough one @Pitt & then a hangover to a better-than-expected KU, but they have a better QB & WR than TTU & a difference maker on the DL that could abuse our interior OL. QE should make the defense be a little more honest which helps lighten the box but 11 feels like a lot of points given what we've seen. Of course I thought we'd get blown out by Bama & then blow out TTU so WTF do I know?