Overrated Food Places

TexArcher

1 minute ago, Helobious said:

Has anyone said Franklin’s yet? It’s very good. Not anywhere close to good enough to wait 6+ hours in line for. Smoke BBQ in Harlingen is barely below it imo, and I can get food there in minutes vs hours at franklins.

You can just rent the whole place out at night and eat and drink all you want with no line.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, Helobious said:

Has anyone said Franklin’s yet? It’s very good. Not anywhere close to good enough to wait 6+ hours in line for. Smoke BBQ in Harlingen is barely below it imo, and I can get food there in minutes vs hours at franklins.

I mean, that's actually a good addition.  Franklin is outstanding.  I still think it's the gold-standard for craft barbecue.  But even if it was being served to me by a naked Christina Hendricks flecked with bits of brisket bark from her frantic yet still sexy slicing efforts, it wouldn't be worth an all-day line.

276cb104b4a05254e4690bb82fe7cf93--endomo

franklin-brisket-2.jpg

[photos provided to help y'all visualize what I'm talking 'bout]

• Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I mean, that's actually a good addition.  Franklin is outstanding.  I still think it's the gold-standard for craft barbecue.  But even if it was being served to me by a naked Christina Hendricks flecked with bits of brisket bark from her frantic yet still sexy slicing efforts, it wouldn't be worth an all-day line.

franklin-brisket-2.jpg

You're really going for the Costanza food/sex combo with style.  Just need to add TV to the equation.  Tip of the the hat.

5 hours ago, chainsaw said:

When it comes to "prepared by someone else right in front of you while you decide what goes in it" burritos, Cabo Bob's is the best and it's not even close.

Bringing back so many memories. Used to walk there trashed out of my mind after games before heading back to my apartment in west campus. Cabo Bobs, OG Don Japanese Kitchen, and Halal Bros were what kept me alive throughout my time in college. 

Just now, Deej said:

How could I have left out El Patio? I get the nostalgia thing, but seriously, their food is not good. 

Man, was just talking about it the other day.  I haven't been in probably 20 years.  I feel like I need to go, just for the nostalgia.....but it's not like I've heard anyone rave about it in recent memory.

Just now, Brisketexan said:

Man, was just talking about it the other day.  I haven't been in probably 20 years.  I feel like I need to go, just for the nostalgia.....but it's not like I've heard anyone rave about it in recent memory.

Nachos look like something I made at 3:00 am in college. There's a time and a place for those, and that's drunk at 3 am in my kitchen in college. 

237284798_4146110845503495_7208249294047666084_n.jpg

• Hook 'Em 1

I get dragged there once or twice a year because I have family who loves it, so anytime other family is in town, they insist on meeting at El Patio. They may look on point, but they just aren't that great.

Most McDonald's have a 3 to 3.5 rating. 

If I want enchiladas, they aren't on my list. 

Edited by Deej

On 9/27/2022 at 1:35 PM, Ghost of LL said:

The list has to start with Matt's El Rancho, doesn't it?

Agreed.  I honestly never got the love for the place.  

On 9/27/2022 at 3:32 PM, mycox said:

Texadelphia. It's shit compared to what it was years ago

This as well.

On 9/27/2022 at 5:24 PM, GreenspointTexas said:

El Tiempo. Their margaritas sucks ass and their fajitas are hilariously overpriced. Pappasitos blows them outta the water

and Snows. I mean, Snows is good, but its not even in the top 25 best cue joints in Texas imo

Agree on El Tiempo.  I always preferred Ninfa's on Navigation.  I have only been to Snows twice, and it was excellent both times.  I would put the Lockhart BBQ places up there as overrated.  The times I have been...not good.

9 hours ago, Billy Pilgrim said:

Lastly….. I have to admit that I don’t care for Fletcher’s corn dogs (or any corn dogs for that matter). 

Half Baked Boo GIF

7 hours ago, Deej said:

Guero's

Similar to Matt's, I never understood the love for it.

2 hours ago, Brisketexan said:

franklin-brisket-2.jpg

I do not think ANY food or sex is worth waiting in line all day for.  Not even Henry Cavil....

henry cavill GIF

Most of these mentions I've either never heard of, or haven't been to in twenty years.

But Krispy Kreme? That's a perfect example. People swear by what's really a perfectly mediocre donut shop. They're fantastic when warm and fresh off the line... or you can go to a decent grocery store bakery and get better, bigger, cheaper donuts that taste as good even when cold, and even better after a few seconds warming up.

oh, and Five Guys, too. Though I think nobody really cares for them now

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

And it's inordinately depressing to hear that Texadelphia got shitty.

Man, I loved that place 30 years ago. If I'd had the money, I'd have eaten there every day.

It’s not good.  I used to give them a shot every couple of months out of loyalty, but I’ve been doing Jersey Mike’s for a while and just make my own mustard blend.

You guys who don't know how to have fun waiting in a Franklin line (or Snow's, etc) aren't doing life right.

It's basically a tailgate party. Bring chairs and beers. Hell some of those places give you free beer while you wait.

I've never had a bad time sitting around and drinking beer outside.

• Hook 'Em 3

44 minutes ago, utee94 said:

El Patio is fine, it's decent.  I don't recall anyone ever hyping it up so I'm not sure overrated applies.

This is what I was about to post. Disclaimer - El Patio was owned and run by friends of mine. I grew up on El Patio and loved it for what it was, cheap reliable Tex-Mex with the unusual saltines on the table and a willingness to bring me a bowl of onions to pour on top of the enchiladas. Not over-rated because no one should be raving about it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 9/27/2022 at 1:57 PM, Brisketexan said:

And Torchy's blows.  The only thing worth getting there is the queso.  Store bought tortillas and expensive gringo-fied tacos.  It's everything worth hating in a restaurant.

There’s a Torchy’s in Odessa by where we often stay on frequent trips for bidness. It’s terrible - awful service, cold/reheated food, completely turned me off of Torchy’s anywhere else. 

2 hours ago, MalibuSheriff said:

Kerby Lane.  Fourteen years in Austin and that place consistently sucked donkey nuts.

Thirded. My boss at my first job in Austin absolutely loved it. He wanted me to meet him there every Friday morning for breakfast. It was overrated even as a free meal.

CHIEF

• Hook 'Em 1

8 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

Thirded. My boss at my first job in Austin absolutely loved it. He wanted me to meet him there every Friday morning for breakfast. It was overrated even as a free meal.

CHIEF

What kind of asshole boss makes you show up for breakfast every Friday? 

1 hour ago, ohchaucer said:

Let’s go on out Peter Luger on the nyc list (which could be very long!)

I have only been to Peter Luger once, back in 2010, and it was absolutely excellent then.  Have not been since.  

All Morton's Steakhouses are overrated.  All Ruth's Chris as well, except for the OG in NOLA, which closed back in 2005 due to Katrina.  

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, CHIEF said:

CHIEF

Completely by accident, when I was in Austin several years ago making arrangements for my wedding, I did Kerby Lane for breakfast, Bert’s for lunch, and we drove back to Dallas and the wife wanted Texadelphia for dinner.  Perfect summation of my college experience in one day.

On 9/27/2022 at 9:43 PM, Dbeasy said:

Growing up in Texas I’m enraged that 49 states out there believe Torchys is a good representative of a taco from Texas. Every one of us should be united in our hatred for that garbage food. 

Yeah, it's amazing how many out of state media coming to Austin for SXSW, ACL, or a big UT game will mention how excited they are to go to Torchy's.

This! After growing up in Corpus and now living in Idaho I have shit for options in Mexican food.

Having spent most of my life as a misplaced Texan living in places as diverse as Jackson MS and Portland on the SF Bay Area, the lack of TexMex is a serious factor in homesickness. Those of you who have never lived more than fifteen minutes from an average TexMex joint don’t know how lucky you are. And many places in this country have a dearth of good Mexican food, even if there is a sizable Mexican population.
  • Rage+1 1

Krispy Kreme is a good one. They were a brief fad at my workplace when they first opened a store nearby back in around ‘95 or ‘96. Oooh, you can get them fresh and warm off the conveyor belt! But I grew up with donuts that were hand made, not machine made. There are better options. A glazed donut shouldn’t look like this:

9D406D7B-B606-4C9A-9182-CBD2DA7BA7F5.thumb.png.8efee07dce319b00e2503e2854835010.png

It should look like this:

E2655CF6-F2F7-47C3-A4BE-4629A588799F.png.dcdcf2a8c654bfd9caa605613debed41.png

They should be big and fluffy and yeasty. Krispy Kreme glazed donuts aren’t. (My argument would be more compelling if those image sizes were reversed but those are the ones I found easily. I assume you’re all familiar with how the average glazed yeast donut dwarfs the ones you get at Krispy Kreme.)

And Ruth’s Chris is another good one. I get the idea of putting butter on a steak. I don’t think it needs it, but I get it. But their steak is nothing special and it comes drowning in butter. Same with the vegetable side. I don’t know, the only time I went there was in Raleigh, NC. Maybe that has something to do with it but I was thoroughly unimpressed.