CA Highschool cancels football season after players pretend to hold a "slave auction"

crash_davis

Was that wrong? Should we have not done that?

https://ktla.com/news/california/reprehensible-members-of-high-school-football-team-in-california-acted-out-slave-auction/

‘Reprehensible’: Members of high school football team in Northern California acted out slave auction

by: Jacque Porter, Nexstar Media Wire

Posted: Oct 1, 2022 / 09:11 AM PDT

Updated: Oct 1, 2022 / 09:15 AM PDT

A high school football team in Yuba City, California, will be forfeiting the remainder of the season after some of the team members acted out a slave auction, the superintendent of the Yuba City Unified School District said.

Superintendent Doreen Osumi said the district received a video Thursday of the “reprehensible act,” which allegedly showed team members at River Valley High School pretending to auction three of their Black teammates in the locker room, KTLA sister station KTXL reports.

Osumi added that the players involved in the “unfortunate and extremely distressing incident” will not be allowed to play for the rest of the season.

“They violated our student athlete code of conduct which they all signed and committed to follow, and that will not be ignored or minimized,” Osumi wrote, in part, in a lengthy statement. “As a result, we do not have the necessary number of players to safely field the varsity team and must thus forfeit the remainder of the season.”

Osumi added that the incident “tells us that we have a great deal of work to do with our students.”

“They may have thought this skit was funny, but it is not; it is unacceptable and requires us to look honestly and deeply at issues of systemic racism.  We know that corrective action may be required in accordance with policy, but it is education, honest, open discussions and instruction that will guide our students to realize that their choices and actions have consequences.”

What happened to Tua Tagovailoa, and should he have been playing?

The video was first shared in a group chat between students, though at least one student claims the clip made its way to social media.

“I seen it on TikTok,” said one student who spoke with KTXL. “And I sit next to the guy that recorded the video, in my second-period [class] … It’s really shocking, because especially after I seen who [recorded it], because, y’know, I never thought he would do that.”

The school board is making plans to turn the incident into a teachable moment for students who may not realize the “deeply offensive” nature of the athletes’ actions, Osumi said.

This article says they canceled because there's not enough players now.

https://www.cbsnews.com/sanfrancisco/news/sutter-county-california-school-cancels-football-following-slave-auction-prank/

The students involved in the "unfortunate and extremely distressing incident" were barred from competing the rest of the football season for violating the student athlete code of conduct, Osumi said.

Because of this, the varsity football team no longer has enough members to play and the rest of the season has been forfeited, she said.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

pretending to auction three of their Black teammates in the locker room

3 minutes ago, crash_davis said:

Because of this, the varsity football team no longer has enough members to play and the rest of the season has been forfeited

Way to punish those three too!

8 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

Please tell me that you are REALLY old or that it happened several decades before you were there.

The 80's and 90's were kinda a fucked up time.  We thought we were progressive but still called our friends queers/fags and racisms was pretty rampant.  All the movies I thought were funny as a kid and am eager to share with my kids make me cringe now.

• Hook 'Em 3

1 minute ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

And isn’t Northern California an odd place to see this happening? Thought this stuff only happened still in the south.

No. It’s in the interior of NorCal north of Sacramento. It’s not like it was outside SF

So small east Texas school in the 1990s -- had the senior slave auction to raise money for the senior trip and then senior slave day (I was in Elem and then Jr. high at the time). I assume it's no longer a thing, but damn. Seemed fine at the time when you're a kid, but looking back now?

Awkward The Office GIF

Edit: Looked it up. I moved in '99 and Senior Slave Day was in that year's yearbook. 

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

21 minutes ago, Rockethorn1978 said:

I don’t know much about that area. Is that area considered conservative or something.

Once you leave the SF/Bay Area and wine country and start heading north toward the Oregon border... my first time on a road trip in that part of the state, couldn't help hearing the banjo theme from Deliverance playing in my head. 

Gil Bang and other Ca residents can chime in but my perception/experience was a large swath of communities outside of the urban areas of CA is pretty "conservative."

• Hook 'Em 1

20 minutes ago, YChang said:

Once you leave the SF/Bay Area and wine country and start heading north toward the Oregon border... my first time on a road trip in that part of the state, couldn't help hearing the banjo theme from Deliverance playing in my head. 

Gil Bang and other Ca residents can chime in but my perception/experience was a large swath of communities outside of the urban areas of CA is pretty "conservative."

Meh.  I think the country's politics are divided by urban/rural vs just red/blue states.  I live in California.  Are there rednecks?  Sure.  We had more R voters than any state in 2020.  However, imo, the boonies here are not as scary as the boonies in the south, midwest, nor Rocky Mountain (check out Idaho sometime).   Rural areas here have more minorities than other states.

Northern California seems kinda racist.

According to a report by Joe Davidson of the Sacramento Bee, the Board of Trustees for the Amador County Unified School District announced Monday night the results of investigation into a 'disturbing' group chat between players on the team with racial overtones. 

Based on that investigation, the the school district cancelled the team's season. 

A Sept. 17 game between Amador and Rosemont was cancelled shortly before kickoff based on discovery of those chats. According to reports, those chats were directed at Rosemont players.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/northern-california-football-team-s-season-cancelled-amid-disturbing-racially-charged-chat-allegations/ar-AA12jIvL?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=U531&cvid=7a1941b0d210499dbe2b9ac7fd0cc32b

In 2nd grade, my school wanted to raise money by having a slave auction. The next day after I took the flyer home, my mom and aunt were both at the school when the doors opened. I still don't really know what was said, that morning.. But the organizer apologized to the whole class and we had a spaghetti dinner. This was in '80, fwiw.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Horn Dog said:

The 80's and 90's were kinda a fucked up time.  We thought we were progressive but still called our friends queers/fags and racisms was pretty rampant.  All the movies I thought were funny as a kid and am eager to share with my kids make me cringe now.

My dad still calls me a fag from time to time when he’s breaking my balls. It’s Masshole talk that doesn’t sit well with everyone. 

• Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, YChang said:

Yes a bulk of the state is conservative. You just need to bury LA and San Fran which uses their 1226273 trillion votes to keep the state blue 

3 hours ago, YChang said:

You're not wrong.  California is mostly a red state once you get out of the cities.  Even then not all the cities are like LA and San Francisco when it comes to politics.  San Diego is pretty conservative for a city that size due to the significant military influence there and Orange County was a bastion of conservatism until very recently.  It might still be, tough to say if Orange County swinging blue the last few years was a Trump thing or a changing demographics thing.  I no longer live in California, but on road trips to visit family there's a hand-painted billboard out in the desert I remember seeing since I was a kid advertising the local chapter of the John Birch Society.  I haven't been on that highway since 2019 but it was still up then and I'm sure it's still up now.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 hours ago, TankedBevo said:

Man, I went to a racist ass high school and even we didn't have slave auctions. Gyoddamn. 

Yeah, same here, except we just had a "revised" Alamo...

Well, not really, but it would be in line with this other bullshit.

Edited by slorch

17 hours ago, C-Man said:

HS kids can be stupid AF. News at 10.

(Before anybody loses their shit, I can't find anything wrong with the admin's decision to cancel the rest of the season.)

Tis true.  Kids are also at least unwittingly sensitive to the cultural/political environment and I think that's why you're seeing an uptick in this kind of thing (and social media and phone cameras to immortalize it).

18 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I’m old.   It was in the 90s

Wow. I graduated HS in the Mid 90s to and that would have been unthinkable. But like @Horn Dogsays we definitely tossed around gay/fag and racist jokes on the regular. Tbh to this day in my mind the association I have with the word gay is lame and nothing to do with sexuality. I have to consciously not use the word.

17 hours ago, closetohumping said:

Meh.  I think the country's politics are divided by urban/rural vs just red/blue states.  I live in California.  Are there rednecks?  Sure.  We had more R voters than any state in 2020.  However, imo, the boonies here are not as scary as the boonies in the south, midwest, nor Rocky Mountain (check out Idaho sometime).   Rural areas here have more minorities than other states.

I dunno. Maybe because I'm from the south, but rural California and Nevada are pretty much the scariest places I've been basically anywhere. It's like the land that time forgot shit. And I've been to rural Idaho. Winslow Arizona was another place that wasn't necessarily intimidating but incredibly sad. It's like still 1958 there with no money.

3 minutes ago, G650 said:

Wow. I graduated HS in the Mid 90s to and that would have been unthinkable. But like @Horn Dogsays we definitely tossed around gay/fag and racist jokes on the regular. Tbh to this day in my mind the association I have with the word gay is lame and nothing to do with sexuality. I have to consciously not use the word.

I dunno. Maybe because I'm from the south, but rural California and Nevada are pretty much the scariest places I've been basically anywhere. It's like the land that time forgot shit. And I've been to rural Idaho. Winslow Arizona was another place that wasn't necessarily intimidating but incredibly sad. It's like still 1958 there with no money.

Winslow sounds like a nice place to take it easy.

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I'm older, but I honestly don't recall anything that bad when I was in high school in the 80s.  Doesn't mean that it wasn't around, just that I was probably oblivious to it.

I mean where I went to school, even some of the teachers were racist.  Are you from Texas? 

36 minutes ago, G650 said:

Same here, I particularly struggle with retarded/retard and the wife gets extremely bent when I use them.  

Sooo… I try to use them in proper context, like “Hey, did you see that article where honey bee venom retarded the growth of cancer cells?   Amazing huh?!”    That pisses her off even more.   

2 minutes ago, Jimbob said:

Same here, I particularly struggle with retarded/retard and the wife gets extremely bent when I use them.  

Sooo… I try to use them in proper context, like “Hey, did you see that article where honey bee venom retarded the growth of cancer cells?   Amazing huh?!”    That pisses her off even more.   

Yeah that's definitely the other one. I let those fly on the reg.

1 hour ago, closetohumping said:

I mean where I went to school, even some of the teachers were racist.  Are you from Texas? 

I'm not saying that I didn't see racist shit, because I did.  But a slave auction just goes well beyond anything that I ever saw.  My family is from Mississippi, so yeah, I heard some racist stuff.  I was born there, but my parents moved away just about right after I was born.  I've lived all over when I was a kid.  West Texas (Midland/Odessa area), Georgetown, Jarrell, Blytheville AR, Richmond VA, Chicago (twice), St. Louis, and then down to Sugar Land starting in my sophomore year of high school.  To be honest, with all the moving we did, I never made close friends until I got to the Houston area.  Even then I was horribly shy.  I was also younger than everyone by a full year, and to top it off I was a runt until my sophomore year.  I just never really ran with the 'popular' crowd, so I guess I was extremely sheltered. 

Freshman year of high school I was living in St. Louis out in the suburbs.  At that time they were busing inner city kids out to our school.  For the most part things were okay, but there was definitely some tension.  At wrestling practice one day we were running sprints in this really long hallway.  Half the team was on one side of hall and the other half was on the opposite side.  2 kids would sprint down the middle and get back in line.  One of the inner city kids, who was our heavyweight, got to the end and accidentally bumped into this white kid.  The white kid went straight to "you dumb" n word.  Everyone got quiet and I fully expected the inner city kid to just beat the shit of him.  But he didn't, he just kept quiet and didn't even acknowledge it.  I know he heard it, but I'm sure that he had been warned of stuff like that by his parents and was told to just let it go.  To this day I have no idea how he kept himself from beating the shit out of that kid. 

Long way to say that just because I wasn't aware of really overt and publicly racist shit going on, doesn't mean that it wasn't there.  I probably just didn't know about it because I didn't really hang out with a lot of people because I was not popular at all and was extremely shy.

10 minutes ago, You don't know me said:

I'm not saying that I didn't see racist shit, because I did.  But a slave auction just goes well beyond anything that I ever saw.  My family is from Mississippi, so yeah, I heard some racist stuff.  I was born there, but my parents moved away just about right after I was born.  I've lived all over when I was a kid.  West Texas (Midland/Odessa area), Georgetown, Jarrell, Blytheville AR, Richmond VA, Chicago (twice), St. Louis, and then down to Sugar Land starting in my sophomore year of high school.  To be honest, with all the moving we did, I never made close friends until I got to the Houston area.  Even then I was horribly shy.  I was also younger than everyone by a full year, and to top it off I was a runt until my sophomore year.  I just never really ran with the 'popular' crowd, so I guess I was extremely sheltered. 

username checks out.

• Hook 'Em 1