BigOrange1

Best WR  

107 members have voted

1. 1. Best WR

• Roy Williams
    • Jordan Shipley
    • Xavier Worthy
    • Other (please list in thread)

Both played their best games against Saban, Roy touched the ball 5 times and completely owned that game, but Shipley and the designed jailbreak(?) bubble screen literally kept the game close against Bama. Change Simms with Gilbert and Texas goes undefeated in 09.

Just now, Bigbend1812 said:

When it’s all said and done he may be the greatest stat -wise.  He has alot of improving to do. 

I feel like he has improved from last season. Last season felt like he was just a deep threat and screen pass hope you get blocks for him type of wide out. This season he's catching balls over the middle, his route running is insane and hes killing teams in the red zone. 

2 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

Roy Williams was a freak of nature and clearly the most talented.  Our offenses were much more friendly to the passing game when Shipley and Worthy played.  We didn’t even use the shotgun or spread formations when Roy was here, except for his last season when we did those things to run the read option (and barely pass) with freshman Vince.  

Spread offenses were still pretty rare across the CFB world in the eaely 2000s.

For me, the difference is that Jordan Shipley was the best WR in college football in 2009. There was no year where Roy was the best overall WR in CFB, he was behind guys like Charles Rogers, Larry Fitzgerald, Mark Clayton, Mike Williams, etc. throughout his career.

Roy was the best individual talent. Tall, fast, incredible hands. Stats would have been much better if he played in a different era.

Shipley knew how to be in the right place at the right time and basically never dropped a pass. Same thing can be said about Quan, by the way.

Worthy is on pace to break all of the receiving TD records but doesn’t belong in the discussion for “best” yet, in my opinion.

Other guys who were awesome but had the misfortune of playing with Tim Beck as their offensive coordinator:

Devin Duvernay

Lil’Jordan Humphrey

• Hook 'Em 3

4 hours ago, Hate said:

Worthy is a complete bad ass.  He may be the best route runner to ever grace the 40 acres.  His footwork is spectacular.  He has a chance to have a Ja'marr Chase type of impact at the next level. 

I don’t think he has the size to be a focal point like Chase at the next level. Chase is 200lbs and still has an unofficial 40 of 4.38. Worthy will be more in the Hollywood Brown, D. Smith role. Which is just fine.

34 minutes ago, Horn Dogg said:

No question Roy was the most talented.   But he also never scored a TD vs OU and tended to get lazy more times than not.  But when he was trying - watch out!

Eh.  He apparently was lazy in the weight room and in practices, but unlike Worthy, you never really got that impression from his play on the field until the NFL.

A lot of the knock on RW4 is hindsight bias.

Edited by TwiceHorn

5 hours ago, Coelenterate Fuccboi said:

If X and Quinn could ever get on the same page with the deep ball, he’d have amazing stats.

If Xavier could or would learn ball adjustment skills … he’d not only help out his QB and the team, he’d be mentioned with those greats of the past. Has any receiver EVER been targeted 17 TIMES in one game. Maybe Ship but I doubt it. I’m baffled that Worthy solid on punt receptions, but cannot (will not) adjust to errant balls that might be catchable by a talented CLUTCH receiver. He’s got a very high ceiling. Hope he gets there at UT. 

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Roy was big, but came up small against OU every damn time. Ship never did that. 

Hard to overlook three no shows in the biggest game three straight years.

Strange but true. Same thing for Cedric Benson. Chris Simms too. Bad times to have bad games. If you wanna be a Longhorn Legend. . 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, Valmy77 said:

Roy was big, but came up small against OU every damn time. Ship never did that. 

Hard to overlook three no shows in the biggest game three straight years.

Hard to overlook what a puckering mother fucking bitch Mack Brown was in the early 2000s against OU.

We gave up 60+ points against them 3 times with some of the most talented teams since Earl Campbell was on the 40 Acres.

Mack was such an insufferable beta cunt vs Stoops.

3 hours ago, DanTheHorn said:

Was it Roy that would pucker up or was it early 2000s Mack that would go all conservative.

See Mack Brown choking like a sex worker at an MMA convention above.

3 hours ago, po elvis said:

LJ Humphrey belongs in the discussion for top 3-5.

No he doesn’t. 

(And I love LJH.)

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Hate said:

Worthy is a complete bad ass.  He may be the best route runner to ever grace the 40 acres.  His footwork is spectacular.  He has a chance to have a Ja'marr Chase type of impact at the next level. 

Jordan Shipley is unquestionably the best route runner we’ve ever had. Quan is the only other contender.

• Hook 'Em 1

Roy didn't exactly get the best QB play we've ever seen, either.

It's funny, whether you're a Major fanboi or Simms, we never really thought we didn't have a pretty good option.  Vince and Colt, and I suppose the game more generally, really changed the level of our expectations, and not just ours.

And by now, you really need an almost Vince/Colt level of QB play to really be competitive.  Closer, at least, to them than to just a "good college QB."

Eh.  He apparently was lazy in the weight room and in practices, but unlike Worthy, you never really got that impression from his play on the field until the NFL.
A lot of the knock on RW4 is hindsight bias.

Yet Mike Williams and Rogers flamed out tremendously in the same timeframe for the same organization. How did Roy survive it?
  • Hook 'Em 1

Roy Williams was 6'4" and ran the 100m under 10.4s. He had great hands. He blocked his ass off for freshman Vince. He blocked punts on special teams. If Roy had played on those Colt McCoy teams the records would be untouchable. Not only is Roy the best WR since the Mack era, he's probably a top 10 athlete in all sports at Texas in that timeframe, certainly top 20.

Edited by SilasCoade
  • Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, Auto Driller said:

Roy was the best individual talent. Tall, fast, incredible hands. Stats would have been much better if he played in a different era.

Shipley knew how to be in the right place at the right time and basically never dropped a pass. Same thing can be said about Quan, by the way.

Worthy is on pace to break all of the receiving TD records but doesn’t belong in the discussion for “best” yet, in my opinion.

Other guys who were awesome but had the misfortune of playing with Tim Beck as their offensive coordinator:

Devin Duvernay

Lil’Jordan Humphrey

I’ll second this.  
Would be fantastic to have that level of hands on the current team.  Didn’t Duvernay have a crazy steak of no drops?

If Xavier could or would learn ball adjustment skills … he’d not only help out his QB and the team, he’d be mentioned with those greats of the past. Has any receiver EVER been targeted 17 TIMES in one game. Maybe Ship but I doubt it. I’m baffled that Worthy solid on punt receptions, but cannot (will not) adjust to errant balls that might be catchable by a talented CLUTCH receiver. He’s got a very high ceiling. Hope he gets there at UT. 
Truth

Every Saturday I see receivers adjusting and diving for poorly placed deep balls, sometimes resulting in a circus catch that changes the course of the game.

I can probably count on one hand (with fingers left) the number of times I've seen Worthy even attempt to adjust. Don't get me wrong, the kid is talented af, but he often has inopportune effort and hands issues.
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, Coach pop a bitch said:

I feel like he has improved from last season. Last season felt like he was just a deep threat and screen pass hope you get blocks for him type of wide out. This season he's catching balls over the middle, his route running is insane and hes killing teams in the red zone. 

And stopped catching deep balls