[OFFICIAL DOOM THREAD]Today Democracy Dies

Fastbreak

46 minutes ago, Js1 said:

Texas Dems clawed back their losses with Hispanics some (Gonzalez and Cuellar winning in South Texas), but the rurals are just lost.  There's no way to cut into them.  And they continue to swamp the urban vote.

The only way to get it going here is to continue the bluing of the suburbs and exurbs, but unfortunately, Abbott and Co. are going to follow the DeSantis playbook and turn Texas into a sanctuary state for unhappy GOPers from blue states looking to get away. 

And on the flip side, doing that is going to run off Texas Democrats into more blue/purple states, turning them bluer/purpler (purple-er?)

This is fascinating because if it continues this way, over a longer period of time, you might see a self-sorting and self-selecting that will result in the more-or-less peaceful segregation of values/politics versus a bloody or violent one. What you describe is the best of bad options, in that way.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Fuck You 1

And not in the spirit of this thread when it started, but I think there is a lot to be happy about from yesterday. Voters were heard, democracy works, there were hardly any shenanigans from what I understand, and people are going to get what they want.

Yesterday was a good reminder that despite all the polling and etc., this is why you play the game. Any given Sunday, baby.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

4 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you.  But Texans valuing guns more than children's lives or frankly anything else is part of the insanity that we all view as normal.   

The concept that you can't say anything negative about guns because it will rally the R's causes me to think the populace gets what it deserves. 

There’s a reason “Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come” is a famous quote.  It also has implications for its inverse — Nothing is more easily defeated than an idea whose time has not yet come.  

Texans are not ready for drastic measures regarding guns, which Beto’s “Hell yes we’re coming for your AR-15s” is.  That doesn’t mean a democrat in Texas cannot work towards sensible measures to keep guns out of the hands of people who would commit crimes with them.  If Texans are not ready even for that idea, then democrats need to play the long game of how to bring Texans to that conclusion of their own free will.  Battering them with Beto’s gun messaging only pushes back the timeline for when sensible/effective gun reform can happen in Texas.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 3

8 minutes ago, MeerkatBong said:

And not in the spirit of this thread when it started, but I think there is a lot to be happy about from yesterday. Voters were heard, democracy works, there were hardly any shenanigans from what I understand, and people are going to get what they want.

Yesterday was a good reminder that despite all the polling and etc., this is why you play the game. Any given Sunday, baby.

damn right.  anyway, time to make a list of karens in suburban georgia whose right to vote i can summarily interdict.

• Like 1

This is fascinating because if it continues this way, over a longer period of time, you might see a self-sorting and self-selecting that will result in the more-or-less peaceful segregation of values/politics versus a bloody or violent one. What you describe is the best of bad options, in that way.

I’m of the opinion that we’re a little too comfortable and there’s a little too much monied interest for any kind of civil war (though I do expect small scale political violence to become more common), but we’re definitely headed toward functionally 2-3 different counties that cooperate on foreign policy.
  • Hook 'Em 2

8 minutes ago, Goredho said:

There’s a reason “Nothing is more powerful than an idea whose time has come” is a famous quote.  It also has implications for its inverse — Nothing is more easily defeated than an idea whose time has not yet come.  

Texans are not ready for drastic measures regarding guns, which Beto’s “Hell yes we’re coming for your AR-15s” is.  That doesn’t mean a democrat in Texas cannot work towards sensible measures to keep guns out of the hands of people who would commit crimes with them.  If Texans are not ready even for that idea, then democrats need to play the long game of how to bring Texans to that conclusion of their own free will.  Battering them with Beto’s gun messaging only pushes back the timeline for when sensible/effective gun reform can happen in Texas.

I personally have no problem with coming for the AR-15s.  But that's one of many reasons I'm happy to be out of Texas.  And you made a reasonable post that seems fair.  I think after 49 years of living in Texas I just don't see the State ever coming back to a reasonable level.  Certainly a bias of mine, but things like Abbot, Cruz, Cornyn, Abortion, e.t.c. reinforce it. 

It feels to me like decades of being reasonable haven't done much.  But again, its my personal opinion and I'm not saying you are wrong.

Again, meanwhile in Oregon:

https://www.oregonlive.com/politics/2022/11/oregon-measure-114-one-of-strictest-gun-control-measures-in-us-too-close-to-call.html

Many folks say this one of the most flawed gun control law out there.  It puts the onus of decision making on the police.  There is a decent chance it gets overturned in a court.  But there is a significant percentage of the population willing to try anything to curb gun violence.  It is actually still very close so the article title may be premature.  But the fact that it is this close is telling.  We all know the bill wouldn't get off the ground in Texas.

Edited by MC Fresh Breath
  • Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

I don’t know how people still believe this. The electorate of this state has made it very clear that this is exactly what it wants. Ken Paxton and Dan Patrick ran in line with Abbott. Noted moderate Sid Miller ran ahead of all three against a qualified opponent. Statewide judicial races, RRC, etc… all non competitive despite the electorate being very familiar with what Republican extremism looks like.

Weren’t you also touting Biden’s imminent, suburban-fueled victory in TX two years ago? At what point do we learn the lesson when this state is telling everyone who will listen what it is?

If you want to know the partisan margin in Texas, look at the Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeals races.   Those are 1) statewide races where 2) functionally nobody knows anything about the candidates other than that they are GQP or D.  And in every one of those races, the margin was around 15 points.  At present, Texas is a 15 point GQP state on a generic ballot.

Democrat messaging and campaigning is hot garbage.  I do not agree with Immamac that Texas doesn't love GQP insanity -- we clearly do.  We are a dumb, mean state.  That said, if the Dems want to have ANY chance, they need a candidate like what Immamac mentioned.  And that doesn't have to be so out of line with national Dem policies as to lose national support.

Am I for clean energy?  You bet I am!  And Texas is positioned to be one of the leaders, thanks to our strong natural gas industry.  Natural gas is THE transition fuel for the next generation or longer - not just for Texas, but for the whole world.  Texas can and should be one of the world's leading exporters of LNG.  AND, Texas is also positioned to be a regional leader in additional energy technologies, blessed with our sunny skies and wide-open spaces.  All of those mean Texas jobs, and a strong Texas future.

Am I a gun lover?  100%  Been shooting since I was just out of diapers.  Have a well-stocked gun safe.  I grew up hunting and still do.  I have a gun for home protection.  And because I grew up around guns, I'm a big believer in gun safety.  I keep them locked away where kids or visitors can't get their hands on them.  Guns are a tool -- a very important tool.  And we should take them seriously.  Prosecute gun crimes.  And keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible people, including people who are too young.  I would raise the age limit on the ability to buy high-capacity firearms -- if you want to shoot such a weapon with a parent or other adult, that's great, I think it's a great activity.  But an 18 year old should wait a few years before he can buy one himself.  Then, if he wants to go to the range to shoot it, I'd be happy to go with him and give him some pointers.

I'm a child of the oil patch.  I'm a child of generations of hunters and gun owners, and I am one myself.  My family started working law enforcement on the Texas border for 170 years ago, we know that the border is something that needs both security and management to make Texas a leader in trade to make Texas even more prosperous.

Blah blah blah.  All that can be done.  But the Texas Dems aren't doing it.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I personally have no problem with coming for the AR-15s.  But that's one of many reasons I'm happy to be out of Texas.  And you made a reasonable post that seems fair.  I think after 49 years of living in Texas I just don't see the State ever coming back to a reasonable level.  Certainly a bias of mine, but things like Abbot, Cruz, Cornyn, Abortion, e.t.c. reinforce it. 

It feels to me like decades of being reasonable haven't done much.  But again, its my personal opinion and I'm not saying you are wrong.

I appreciate the post.  You may be right.  Texas may never swing away from being a far right cloud cuckoo-land, I dunno.  I mean, I left the state, too, because of the TEA's impact on my kids.  But I don't really think its debatable at this point that Beto's gun stance is a losing one in Texas.  Even if a democrat could never do anything of consequence to reduce gun violence in Texas, it would be better to not die on that hill given there are so many others that need taking.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

I'm not saying I disagree with you.  But Texans valuing guns more than children's lives or frankly anything else is part of the insanity that we all view as normal.   

The concept that you can't say anything negative about guns because it will rally the R's causes me to think the populace gets what it deserves. 

And this is where Democrats must see Texas differently. You can't say people are weighing guns vs children. Whether you believe it or not you can't say it or run on it. Guns to much of Texas is a way of life. It would be like talk of taking away horses or cars. It's just a non-starter issue so don't make it one. It's like trying to balance law enforcement is out of control and a problem but... they are the only ones we want to have these type guns.

Bottom line - if you want better gun control you have to be elected to change it. You can't be elected to change it in Texas if you run on gun control.

• Hook 'Em 3

14 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

If you want to know the partisan margin in Texas, look at the Supreme Court and Court of Criminal Appeals races.   Those are 1) statewide races where 2) functionally nobody knows anything about the candidates other than that they are GQP or D.  And in every one of those races, the margin was around 15 points.  At present, Texas is a 15 point GQP state on a generic ballot.

Democrat messaging and campaigning is hot garbage.  I do not agree with Immamac that Texas doesn't love GQP insanity -- we clearly do.  We are a dumb, mean state.  That said, if the Dems want to have ANY chance, they need a candidate like what Immamac mentioned.  And that doesn't have to be so out of line with national Dem policies as to lose national support.

Am I for clean energy?  You bet I am!  And Texas is positioned to be one of the leaders, thanks to our strong natural gas industry.  Natural gas is THE transition fuel for the next generation or longer - not just for Texas, but for the whole world.  Texas can and should be one of the world's leading exporters of LNG.  AND, Texas is also positioned to be a regional leader in additional energy technologies, blessed with our sunny skies and wide-open spaces.  All of those mean Texas jobs, and a strong Texas future.

Am I a gun lover?  100%  Been shooting since I was just out of diapers.  Have a well-stocked gun safe.  I grew up hunting and still do.  I have a gun for home protection.  And because I grew up around guns, I'm a big believer in gun safety.  I keep them locked away where kids or visitors can't get their hands on them.  Guns are a tool -- a very important tool.  And we should take them seriously.  Prosecute gun crimes.  And keep guns out of the hands of irresponsible people, including people who are too young.  I would raise the age limit on the ability to buy high-capacity firearms -- if you want to shoot such a weapon with a parent or other adult, that's great, I think it's a great activity.  But an 18 year old should wait a few years before he can buy one himself.  Then, if he wants to go to the range to shoot it, I'd be happy to go with him and give him some pointers.

I'm a child of the oil patch.  I'm a child of generations of hunters and gun owners, and I am one myself.  My family started working law enforcement on the Texas border for 170 years ago, we know that the border is something that needs both security and management to make Texas a leader in trade to make Texas even more prosperous.

Are you running in 2028? 2030? That should be enough time to get your city council and school board bona fides under your belt for a chunkier role.

Semi-serious question.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, MeerkatBong said:

Are you running in 2028? 2030? That should be enough time to get your city council and school board bona fides under your belt for a chunkier role.

Semi-serious question.

My wife talked about it with me at length Monday night.  I have some ideas on where to start.

I just really don't want to.

• Hook 'Em 2

4 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

My wife talked about it with me at length Monday night.  I have some ideas on where to start.

I just really don't want to.

Someone like you would say not wanting to is a good thing. It means the reluctant hero is the hero that is needed. He's not doing it for self-interest, naked ambition, ego or vanity, etc.

If Jose Velasquez can do it, you can do it. 

BrisketTexan for ___ in 2024. I'll give your first $5.

Edited by MeerkatBong
  • Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

I honestly think that type of messenger can’t win either.  Texans want election denying pricks who will imprison parents for raising kids who don’t conform to their ideas of gender norms.  They ignore corruption and incompetence, and cheer misuse of public funds like billions spent on turning the National Guard into mall security for big money GOP donors’ ranches because it has a cool name “Operation Lone Star”. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 3

2 minutes ago, Pig Bellmont said:

I honestly think that type of messenger can’t win either.  Texans want election denying pricks who will imprison parents for raising kids who don’t conform to their ideas of gender norms.  They ignore corruption and incompetence, and cheer misuse of public funds like billions spent on turning the National Guard into mall security for big money GOP donors’ ranches because it has a cool name “Operation Lone Star”. 

That may well be the case.  I strongly suspect that it is.

But the Dems haven't even TRIED anything but a milquetoast national dem-lite approach.  I'm not a fan of the "we've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas" approach the Texas Dem party seems stuck on.  I believe in going down fighting.  STARTING to fight is the necessary first step, and Texas Dems aren't even there yet.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Brisketexan said:

That may well be the case.  I strongly suspect that it is.

But the Dems haven't even TRIED anything but a milquetoast national dem-lite approach.  I'm not a fan of the "we've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas" approach the Texas Dem party seems stuck on.  I believe in going down fighting.  STARTING to fight is the necessary first step, and Texas Dems aren't even there yet.

Start by paying the state Dem organizer for Wisconsin to train and build a statewide system for Texas.  Build the infrastructure over 4 years and maybe a run at gov will be closer than 15 points 

1 hour ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Meanwhile, in Oregon 

slavery.jpg

That amount of people saying 'nah, need to keep slavery' is disturbing.

I think it's crazy that people would vote against this, but to be fair, the US Constitution still technically allows for slavery as punishment for a crime, and that ain't ever getting amended, and probably doesn't need to since we don't do this anyway. I can see a few people thinking it is unnecessary, or thinking that it would prevent prisoners from working jailhouse jobs, but I assume that the overwhelming majority of the no votes are just plain racism.

"Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as a punishment for crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

• Rage+1 2

4 minutes ago, Goredho said:

We need more people in politics who really don't want to be in politics.

Let's just put random people on the ballot. If they get elected, they have to serve. It would be terrible but also hilarious. And maybe better than what we have. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Let's just put random people on the ballot. If they get elected, they have to serve. It would be terrible but also hilarious. And maybe better than what we have. 

Time to draft citizens to serve 2 year House terms. 

I think any non-R candidate for high statewide office hoping for success will have to run as an independent and not a D. That's how far off we are, the D label will always be an absolute hard no to the rurals. And the peaceful self-selection idea would be nice except it'll always be the "haves" sorting into bluer states, while the have-nots left behind in the cities will suffer and chafe under the rule of their overlords into perpetuity.

2 hours ago, Js1 said:

Time to draft citizens to serve 2 year House terms. 

I have often (jokingly) said that serving in Congress should be modeled after jury duty.  Get a letter in the mail, "Dammit, I have to be a representative."  But then I remembered there are millions of dipshit assholes out there and I don't really want them in positions of power.

5 hours ago, MC Fresh Breath said:

Meanwhile, in Oregon 

slavery.jpg

That amount of people saying 'nah, need to keep slavery' is disturbing.

Not defending this at all.

Supposedly one of the producers on 104.9 looked up the resolutions for the 4 states that had a similar language on the bill earlier this morning and pointed out that there is a huge caveat to the measure not being said at the same time as the screenshots similar to the above.

Whats not being said is those questions on the ballot were supposed to be specific to eliminating the State allowing PRISON labor to work for pennies on the dollar as part of their punishment.  i.e. the measurement is wanting the license plate brigade to be getting paid min wage, rather than .30 or .40 cents an hour they get in their canteen funds.

frankly I agree with that idea. whats the point of min wage if you are allowed to work for much less than that in prison.  

But that resolution  is written almost as bad as if the Austin city council wrote the fucking question after being forced to include a resolution in the election that they dont agree with and hated *cough* Uber/Lyft & Open homeless camps *cough*

Edited by AUS-97HORN
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Not defending this at all.

Supposedly one of the producers on 104.9 looked up the resolutions for the 4 states that had a similar language on the bill earlier this morning and pointed out that there is a huge caveat to the measure not being said at the same time as the screenshots similar to the above.

Whats not being said is those questions on the ballot were supposed to be specific to eliminating the State allowing PRISON labor to work for pennies on the dollar as part of their punishment.  i.e. the measurement is wanting the license plate brigade to be getting paid min wage, rather than .30 or .40 cents an hour they get in their canteen funds.

frankly I agree with that idea. whats the point of min wage if you are allowed to work for much less than that in prison.  

But that resolution  is written almost as bad as if the Austin city council wrote the fucking question after being forced to include a resolution in the election that they dont agree with and hated *cough* Uber/Lyft & Open homeless camps *cough*

It never would have occurred to me that they were for anything but that.

Everybody Sing!

January made us shiver
What if Mike Pence won’t deliver
Bad news could be pending
Sleepy Joe just might be winning

And if the chosen one goes down
Then who will wear his thorny crown
He needs us now and we will need his call

And we’ll be singing
My my see the liberals cry
Drove our Ram trucks to the White House
Trump flags flying so high
Them good old boys are kissing Mike Pence goodbye
And singing this is where Democracy dies
This is where Democracy dies

• Hook 'Em 2

On 11/8/2022 at 7:03 AM, Bullneck said:

Maybe we beat them by 8 million votes.

I think there's going to be shitshows around the US (I'm looking at you Arizona) but today is Blue Wave Day.  You heard it here first.

I was wrong . . . about the Arizona shit shows.  

On 11/9/2022 at 9:49 AM, Brisketexan said:

And in every one of those races, the margin was around 15 points.  At present, Texas is a 15 point GQP state on a generic ballot.

Democrat messaging and campaigning is hot garbage.  I do not agree with Immamac that Texas doesn't love GQP insanity

Yet Trump ran +9 and +5.5, a far cry from +15

On 11/8/2022 at 6:08 AM, Humble Beast said:

Buttigieg has zero chance because not enough black people will vote for a gay white man.  

The Dems have run on abortion and January 6th/democracy dying. It appears that it’s not going to be convincing enough versus economic concerns, inflation/gas prices, increased crime, and immigration. This may be an opportunity for introspection. 

This may be an opportunity for introspection, GRU 

Cracking Up Lol GIF by NBA on TNT