Celebrity Death Pool -- 2023

Aqua Buddha

1 hour ago, Redneck Mutha said:

My grandparents were married 59 years when my grandmother passed in 2003.  Her last several years she was in poor health, and my grandfather took great care of her.  It took a toll on him mentally, emotionally, and physically.  

After she passed, it was like a weight lifted off him.  His health was better, he started travelling more, he seemed happier.  He lived another 10 years after my grandmother passed.

Same for my dad after my mom passed, except for the travel.

Dad moved into a retirement center and started banging some of the willing widows.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Drool 1

16 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

Same for my dad after my mom passed, except for the travel.

Dad moved into a retirement center and started banging some of the willing widows.

Sorry for the continuing thread derail, but it brings up some funny memories.  My grandparents were married over 60 years, but when my Grandfather died in his early 80s, my Grandmother started living her best life for about 10 years before she died at 91.  She replaced all of the household furniture that she'd wanted to get rid of for the last 30 years, bought a new TV and sound system, updated her kitchen, and finally bought a Cadillac!

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

Charlie Munger @ age 99

Charlie Munger, investing sage and Warren Buffett's confidant, dies (cnbc.com)

Billionaire Charlie Munger, the investing sage who made a fortune even before he became Warren Buffett’s right-hand man at Berkshire Hathaway, has died at age 99.

Munger died Tuesday, according to a press release from Berkshire Hathaway. The conglomerate said it was advised by members of Munger’s family that he peacefully died this morning at a California hospital. He would have turned 100 on New Year’s Day.

“Berkshire Hathaway could not have been built to its present status without Charlie’s inspiration, wisdom and participation,” Buffett said in a statement.

In addition to being Berkshire vice chairman, Munger was a real estate attorney, chairman and publisher of the Daily Journal Corp., a member of the Costco board, a philanthropist and an architect.

In early 2023, his fortune was estimated at $2.3 billion — a jaw-dropping amount for many people but vastly smaller than Buffett’s unfathomable fortune, which is estimated at more than $100 billion.

During Berkshire’s 2021 annual shareholder meeting, the then-97-year-old Munger apparently inadvertently revealed a well-guarded secret: that Vice Chairman Greg Abel “will keep the culture” after the Buffet eraffett era.

56 minutes ago, Texzilla58 said:

My dad had congestive heart failure and severe emphysema, mostly from 5 packs a day of camels for 50 years. I got a call from mom that he’d gone on hospice. I didn’t quite get it. She said it means he’s terminal.

He asked the nurse “what can I do and not do?”. “Sir you are dying. You do whatever the hell you feel like! What’s the worst that can happen.” Changed his outlook and activity level. He lasted two years. Had setbacks but his experience was very good.

Mom lasted 8 weeks and it was worse as she was much older, and was ready to go.

Hospice workers are an unsung group of heroes hidden in the healthcare industry. All of the ones I’ve met are special. Big hearts.

36 minutes ago, Armybrat said:

My DIL was in hospice for less than a week before dying on the morning of her 39th birthday.

Hospice can be quick or it can be long. Hospice itself doesn't keep someone alive or necessarily quicken someone's death. Probably a younger person on hospice will go quickly because their disease is aggressive. A 80 year may have 10 years left with a "terminal" condition and they can be on hospice for that entire time.

My mom went into hospice care, at her assisted living center, mainly because she was tired of the hospital visits every 2-4 weeks. Hospice provided many free services including frequent nurse visits and free home equipment. It's been a great addition to her care.

In my limited experience, staying at hospice facilities seem to be when someone is at the end. When someone is on hospice at home or in assisted living homes, they can thrive somewhat in their own way.

Edited by Nice Guy Eddie
  • Hook 'Em 4

53 minutes ago, Hate said:

They need to come up with a new term if people are going to be “on hospice” for more than a few months. Can they call it “long term” or “hospice light”?

Well you kind of dont know it'll be more than a few months until a few months have passed. Are you advocating retroactively calling it something else? Maybe people could be forced to go back and edit their Facebook posts.

"Please pray for my Uncle Cooter.  Aunt Puntane just put him in hospice long term care.  He is only expected to live a few more days will outlive our expectation and remain alive for a few more months."

• Nov 1, 2023 (Edited 2 hrs ago)
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hate said:

They need to come up with a new term if people are going to be “on hospice” for more than a few months. Can they call it “long term” or “hospice light”?

I'm by no means a medical expert, but I always thought that's what they call tertiary care.  That's what I've always presumed that meant, but I may well be wrong, and badly so.   

• Like 1

My mom is in a memory care place with Alzheimer’s under hospice care. She is physically healthy and loves to walk and the place gives her access to do so outside. The place is a private facility so they get paid by her savings. The hospice company has a nurse that sees her weekly, a nurse on call and care attendants who shower her two times a week. When she sees a doc we have to make sure that it’s coded for non dementia reasons as Medicare won’t pay for dual care. There were competing hospice companies when we made the decision. The link below helped me understand why. 
https://www.cms.gov/medicare/payment/fee-for-service-providers/hospice

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 4

Sandra Day O'Conner.  93.

That's quite the three bedroom apartment in the sky.  Charlie Munger, Henry Kissinger, and Sandra Day O'Connor.

Damn, that’s some pretty stout political figures from my youth with Kissinger and O’Conner. May they RIP.

3 minutes ago, Aqua Buddha said:

Sandra Day O'Conner.  93.

That's quite the three bedroom apartment in the sky.  Charlie Munger, Henry Kissinger, and Sandra Day O'Connor.

While researching dementia/Alzheimers related to my parents, I found this story about SD O'C who retired from the Court to care for her husband. And dealing with his changes, and her just wanting what was best for him.

Dementia - Mental Health - Alzheimer's disease - Sandra Day O'Connor - Love - Marriage - Relationships - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

SO this, in the end, is what love is.

Former Justice Sandra Day O’Connor’s husband, suffering from Alzheimer’s disease, has a romance with another woman, and the former justice is thrilled — even visits with the new couple while they hold hands on the porch swing — because it is a relief to see her husband of 55 years so content.

What culture tells us about love is generally young love. Songs and movies and literature show us the rapture and the betrayal, the breathlessness and the tears. The O’Connors’ story, reported by the couple’s son in an interview with a television station in Arizona, where Mr. O’Connor lives in an assisted-living center, opened a window onto what might be called, for comparison’s sake, old love.

Of course, it illuminated the relationships that often develop among Alzheimer’s patients — new attachments, some call them — and how the desire for intimacy persists even when dementia steals so much else. But in the description of Justice O’Connor’s reaction, the story revealed a poignancy and a richness to love in the later years, providing a rare model at a time when people are living longer, and loving longer.

• Like 6

On 11/30/2023 at 8:28 AM, GopherRock said:

Shane MacGowan of the Pogues, 65.

On 11/30/2023 at 8:47 AM, Burt said:

That truly sucks. I hope they lay him to rest in a prominent place overlooking his dirty old town and that he dreams pleasant dreams by the old canal for eternity.

On 11/30/2023 at 11:07 PM, Guadaloopy said:

It was Christmas Eve, babe, in the drunk tank. An old man said to me, won’t see another one…

They gave him a helluva funeral - there's a lot more clips floating around out there, but this was amazing.  People coming out of pews and dancing, etc.

Edited by atomheartbevo
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

They gave him a helluva funeral - there's a lot more clips floating around out there, but this was amazing.  People coming out of pews and dancing, etc.

2 hours ago, Burt said:

That's the way to send someone home!

13 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

Yep, that was a celebration of life.

Damn, it got dusty in here.  

• Hook 'Em 2

6 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
21 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:
That's Glen Hansard, isn't it?

Yep. Love that man's voice. But how much longer until that guitar disintegrates while he's playing it?

You never know.  (EDIT:  no, I'm not implying that Willie has passed, it's just a guitar photo.)

Trigger (guitar) - Wikipedia

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

21 hours ago, atomheartbevo said:

Pirates of the Caribbean actor Johnny Depp, a close friend of MacGowan and his wife Victoria, read the Prayer of the Faithful in honour of the musician. A record by Depp, who attended their wedding in 2018, was earlier placed as a symbol of MacGowan's life at the altar.23 hours