margot robbie is "barbie" - july 2023

henrygandorf

this all reminds me of american hustle, one of the last movies i ever watched in a theater. every time i see a movie with a cast like this it's vapid crap. i don't know how or why these actors agree to do these movies, or what's more, why people end up hyping so many of them up (again, see: american hustle) when the movie is just boring, bland garbage that never moves my needle. 

American Hustle was damn good
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

this all reminds me of american hustle, one of the last movies i ever watched in a theater. every time i see a movie with a cast like this it's vapid crap. i don't know how or why these actors agree to do these movies, or what's more, why people end up hyping so many of them up (again, see: american hustle) when the movie is just boring, bland garbage that never moves my needle. 

pepsi GIF

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 6/25/2023 at 9:31 PM, TOR said:

If I can get through Pan Am for Margot Robbie I can do this standing on my head.

On 6/25/2023 at 9:42 PM, EvilCaseMcCoy said:

Well Pan Am also had that busty redhead.  Kelli Garner.  Oh baby!

It also has Christina Ricci, but the sleeper was Karine Vanasse. Holy mother of gawd!

Karine Vanasse as Colette Valois from Pan Am - Actresses & People  Background Wallpapers on Desktop Nexus (Image 942710)

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Herpa Derpa said:

This had me laughing yesterday.  

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/barbie-review-first-reactions-ryan-gosling-b2372369.html

Early reviews are very positive.  We shall see.  I have a ticket to this the Saturday morning it comes out at my local theater.  I have tickets the next morning to Oppenheimer at the 70mm historic theater in the East Village, so that will be really cool.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/12/2023 at 10:21 AM, Trey3216 said:

We call that dodging a grenade  

Margot Robbie was attached to the movie as a producer before any roles were even cast. Gerwig as director was her choice. She’s going to be rich. Movie did $155M this weekend. 

Edited by TonyTexas

Saw it and really liked it. Probably third in the Greta rankings for me, but that’s tough company. Margot Robbie is from a different planet.

My hope is that Greta takes the Chris Nolan route. Use pop culture IP to elevate her power in Hollywood, and then go back to making her own work with a higher budget. Supposedly her next two films are Narnia films, which doesn’t thrill me but remains comparable to Nolan’s three pop culture IP movies. 

21 minutes ago, longhornmatt said:

A Greta Gerwig movie opened to $155M?  Finally, Hollywood will move on from overproduced comic book movies, and invest in talented original filmmakers who we now see can bring in returns just as well as all the takeoffs on franchises whose IP dates back 80 years ago … what?  Why is everyone looking at me that way?

I mean, part of it is Barbie. And maybe some of it is Gosling and Robbie. But mainly people are going because it's GG.

Right?

Just got back. Pretty funny and original. Margot Robbie is great. And before I get shit on, got Oppenheimer tickets for Monday. 

I did chuckle while telling my wife the observation someone had on Twitter to all the women dressed up for the movie, which was the same as our experience walking in. It was "Barbie is the Black Panther for white women". 

Just now, ztejas said:

I mean, part of it is Barbie. And maybe some of it is Gosling and Robbie. But mainly people are going because it's GG.

Right?

Has to be the perfect storm of GG, Robbie and Warner Bro’s insane marketing rollout. I don’t remember the last non comic book movie that had this much pop culture resonance.  It’s everywhere 

Just now, Reynolds Woodcock said:

Has to be the perfect storm of GG, Robbie and Warner Bro’s insane marketing rollout. I don’t remember the last non comic book movie that had this much pop culture resonance.  It’s everywhere 

Well, I was being facetious but maybe you realize that. GG has fans but it certainly isn't the main driver.

I mean, shit, I'm a bit of a cinephile and Gosling/Robbie is just as big an allure for me. 

1 hour ago, Pato del Muerto said:

They’ve done Barbie, Lego, gi joe, and transformers is still plowing along. 

what’s next- try he-man again?

Give me Todd Phillips directing the Teddy and Grubby story. There was always something dark and foreboding in their lifeless eyes.

s-l1600.jpg

I’d like to know how much was spent in marketing. It had to be a shitload. The only missed opportunity was there should have been some sort of tie-in with the Taylor Swift tour. 100% overlap in potential fan base.  

Edited by TonyTexas

3 minutes ago, Nivek said:

I seem to recall the trailer being inappropriate for young kids.   What say you?

The Beach off line? It's PG-13 but more so for the themes being harder for young kids to get. A lot of the humor will go over their heads. There's nothing I can think of that would be harmful to young kids in the movie. 

• Hook 'Em 1

4 minutes ago, mdmost said:

The Beach off line? It's PG-13 but more so for the themes being harder for young kids to get. A lot of the humor will go over their heads. There's nothing I can think of that would be harmful to young kids in the movie. 

Did anyone try to beach you off on the theater?

17 hours ago, Baboontyme said:

Thought it was hilarious. Gosling in particular. America Ferrera was awesome, as well. So was Robbie but I thought the other two stole the show. I wanna push you around, well I will, well I will. 

Incredibly funny. I enjoyed it more than Oppenheimer 

Much better than expected. I knew there was going to be at least a subtle thread of seriousness and feminist ideals based on the Karens and Ben Shapiros of the world getting threatened by it but it was more forward than expected, which I appreciated. It’s not a kids movie. If you (as a male or female) get personally challenged by it on some level,  it’s doing what it’s trying to do. If you get offended by it in any way, everyone else in the theater is laughing directly at you.

Edited by Hank_Hill
  • Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2