margot robbie is "barbie" - july 2023

henrygandorf

3 hours ago, mdmost said:

Already made half a billion dollars in 8 days. 

Robbie’s salary was $12.5M for the movie. That pales in comparison in what she’ll make on the back-end as an executive producer. And that isn’t just an honorary title as they sometimes are. Her production company was instrumental in getting Barbie made. 

• Hook 'Em 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, mdmost said:

And of course, instead of realizing what made Barbie great was the writing, directing, getting great actors, and world building, Hollywood is just going to pump out shitty copies.

Lena Dunham is the comedic show/film maker equivalent of Carlos "Kaiser" Raposo-the greatest footballer to never play football.  She's supposedly talented and is 'attached' to all these projects and moves from one to other with almost constant fluidity.  But I never actually see anything of hers and when I do, it isn't funny. 

I had no desire to see the Barbie movie.  If I do, I'd let it slip that I did around my daughter and she's bawl because I didn't take her because I can tell it's not appropriate for someone her age.  But after seeing who all it's pissed off, I'm very inclined to see it now and happily fork over my money.  Plus I could watch Margo Robbie floss for 2 hours. 

Saw it last night with Mrs. Smwhorn.  Completely full theatre.  Every seat filled.  It's really good.  

Margot Robbie is great.  Gosling is good but I think others could have played the role.  Robbie was so good I just don't really see anyone else playing her and doing as good a job.  

On 7/28/2023 at 1:24 PM, YGIFS said:

Lena Dunham is the comedic show/film maker equivalent of Carlos "Kaiser" Raposo-the greatest footballer to never play football.  She's supposedly talented and is 'attached' to all these projects and moves from one to other with almost constant fluidity.  But I never actually see anything of hers and when I do, it isn't funny. 

I had no desire to see the Barbie movie.  If I do, I'd let it slip that I did around my daughter and she's bawl because I didn't take her because I can tell it's not appropriate for someone her age.  But after seeing who all it's pissed off, I'm very inclined to see it now and happily fork over my money.  Plus I could watch Margo Robbie floss for 2 hours. 

Best thing to come out of Girls was Adam Driver.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

Adding to the general greatness of the movie was that every so often during a quiet moment, you'd hear loud booming from Oppenheimer showing in the next theater.

Loved all the kids from Sex Education showing up in smaller roles- can't wait for the next season of that show to come out. And I read that they were planning to do a joke about how Margot Robbie and Emma Mackey look alike, but when they got them all Barbie-fied they didn't look as similar as they initially thought. Still...

image.png.5e91a57a56c4140b3a5175894770b359.png

• Hook 'Em 1

funny and very, very clever. @Bama Chickwas right, Gosling was 100% fully committed and stole the show. that's acting lol.

Spoiler

i thought it ended very pro-Barbie and pro-Ken... and everybody else! like...pro-just be yourself, we're all enough. i guess that individual positivity is the 'problem' for those of a certain mindset. shocking. assholes.

i had the Barbie penthouse... loved the opening sequence 😄

a lot of laughs. way more than Oppenheimer 😛 definitely recommend. 

• Hook 'Em 4

1 hour ago, longhornmatt said:

It is going to be amazing for the next year or two when Hollywood is somehow totally blindsided by a bunch of movies about Polly Pocket and Cabbage Patch Kids flopping at the box office instead of replicating the success of Barbie.  “But they’re all toys!  Why isn’t this working?”

Need to target the Fast & Furious crossover crowd for the big bucks.

tumblr_ojpjio39Zn1u501aoo1_400.gif

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2
  • Haha 3

more thoughts...

Spoiler

the biggest laugh by far for me (and it sounded like most of the audience) was the 'mansplaining' montage when they'd returned to Barbieland. i just...it's hard to articulate, and that's why so many of us don't...but that part was so incredibly on-the-nose that it was just perfect. and it wasn't cruel! ngl...trying to relay the message that yes, i know how to do this, in fact i was doing it just fine before you decided to 'show me' how to do it, without crushing egos in real life can be...a challenge 🫤 not that i know anything about that. ahem. and The Godfather mention immediately made me think of surly. no offense guys 😄 lol

it somehow managed to be both subtle and overt at the same time. really well done by the creator, GG i assume.

• Hook 'Em 3

18 hours ago, longhornmatt said:

It is going to be amazing for the next year or two when Hollywood is somehow totally blindsided by a bunch of movies about Polly Pocket and Cabbage Patch Kids flopping at the box office instead of replicating the success of Barbie.  “But they’re all toys!  Why isn’t this working?”

I DON'T GET IT - Imgflip

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

I went with my wife and two daughters. There were parts where I second guessed taking the kids, but the humor went over their heads and they laughed a lot at the rest. Overall I thought it was funny and much better than I expected. Allan cracked me up.

The line about corporations just hiding patriarchy better was on point if you work for a large corporation.

Finally saw it.  Theater still sold out.  MUCH better than I thought it would be.  As someone else said, one of the more brilliant satire movies of the past ten years.

It'll be out on Max at some point and I'll watch it at least five times and prolly pick up something new each time.

It should win best picture but it won't.

• Hook 'Em 2

On 12/16/2022 at 9:58 PM, 0xdeadbeef said:

Ken and his 'buddies'

image.png.c7394b35179adecbacfe0dbbea4fb5a6.png

This looks beyond terrible.

On 12/17/2022 at 12:57 PM, billfromlaketravis said:

I like the 2001 homage in the trailer. 

But, I think this movie will be Cats bad.  

You guys got any stock market “sell”recommends?

• Haha 5

9 hours ago, BHMCruiser said:

This was a surprisingly interesting movie. A few things: Ken and horses was awesome. Margot Robbie has to be in the running for most beautiful woman who has we lived. She was transcendent.  

Theater laughed out loud when she (Barbie) was complaining about being ugly and the narrator (Helen Mirren) chimed in with something to the effect of "Note to the director but Margot Robbie is the wrong person to be making this argument."

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 7/27/2023 at 10:59 AM, mdmost said:

And of course, instead of realizing what made Barbie great was the writing, directing, getting great actors, and world building, Hollywood is just going to pump out shitty copies.

Don't worry she will back out when she reads the fine print and realizes it's not about Hot Pockets.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

On 7/28/2023 at 8:51 AM, CooterBrown said:

This may be the biggest movie in a decade.  Every showing is close to sold out for the foreseeable future. Wife and I thought about the 10:25AM showing at the Alamo today and it's sold out. WTF. Suck it Sound of Freedom.

So in other words, pussy is undefeated.

• Haha 1

On 8/6/2023 at 9:50 PM, Aqua Buddha said:

It should win best picture but it won't.

Saw it yesterday, it was really good. I agree with those that thought Gosling really shined. 

I am not sure if it should be best picture (it is halfway through the year and have not seen everything). I would be shocked if it does not at least get nominated. 

On 8/1/2023 at 2:16 PM, msbesq said:

It was excellent and it has a great message for young women from 15-25, who are unsure of their place in the world. Also, pretty damn funny.

Also a good movie for fathers to see with their sons I think. Lotta food for thought.

Edited by Bozo_Casanova
  • Hook 'Em 1

I thought it was fine, but noticeably too long.   The Ken story line was good, but a bit over the top for me, especially if Barbie was going to more or less give him a pass at the end of the movie. I guess that’s what’s necessary to have a conversation about toxic masculinity in this day and age, but I was prepared to be challenged and wasn’t.

Visually stunning and had some quality laughs.  I’ve definitely been guilty Porsche- Kensplaining.

We saw it over weekend.  I really liked it.  I absolutely guffawed at the Godfather then Lou Reed/Malkmus mansplaining scenes....  My wife looked at me and I knew.   I basically made her watch The Bear after a similar mansplanation about why she had to watch it (note: she enjoyed it).  

It was really well done.

On 8/14/2023 at 7:43 AM, Bateshorn said:

Visually stunning and had some quality laughs.

Yeah, visually it was great.  I thought the Barbieland sets and backdrops really popped compared to the cgi vomit hollywood mostly deals in these days

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1