margot robbie is "barbie" - july 2023

henrygandorf

This is the black panther for the ladies. It was enjoyable, funny, the scenery was great, the outfits were great. My 9-11 yr olds had mixed feelings, they both liked it, but the over the head jokes landed and made them feel a little awkward.

Will Ferrell pulling rank to press the elevator button hit home.

Kate McKinnon’s introduction was fantastic but her character wasn’t as fun/insane through out it. She might have been better as a cameo (word up).

I don’t know. It was good, well made, enjoyable but it’s a single view for me, a bit overhyped.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm still chuckling about some of the jokes tucked into throwaway lines, like "She thinks I'm a fascist? I don't control the railways, or the flow of commerce!" and "It's like I've been in a dream where I was really invested in the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League."

"To be honest, when I found out patriarchy wasn't about horses, I lost interest."

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

YouTube shorts may be more your thing. 

Or maybe you don’t ask much of your cinema. 

It was an 1 hour and 54 minutes.  That’s not crazy long by modern standards, but I checked my watch at least twice. The Will Ferrell plot line could have easily saved 5-10 minutes, particularly since it added almost nothing after they returned to Barbie Land.  And I could have used less Ken. 

If they had spent more time  exploring the Toy Story 3 style storyline between Barbie, America Ferrara, and her daughter, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the time. There was a lot of gold to be mined. But after being beaten over the the head with Ryan Gosling doing his best Jake Paul impression, I began to start wondering when they would wrap it up.

1 hour ago, Bateshorn said:

Or maybe you don’t ask much of your cinema. 

Probably not, I only go once every five or six years.

The Will Ferrell plot line could have easily saved 5-10 minutes

So a typical YouTube video length.  If you're counting 5-10 minutes in a movie, lighten up a bit.

If they had spent more time  exploring the Toy Story 3 style storyline between Barbie, America Ferrara, and her daughter, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the time.

If they had spent more time  exploring the Toy Story 3 style storyline between Barbie, America Ferrara, and her daughter, I probably wouldn’t have noticed the time.

That was probably the "worst" part of the movie and I still thought it was good.  It was a satire / comedy movie; not some deep philosophical motivation film.  I went to it with my daughter thinking "I've heard some good things about this, maybe it will be kind of good." but I'm sure my daughter will love it and I want to see her reactions.  I enjoyed the shit out of my experience.  Sorry the extra 5-10 minutes ruined a great family experiece for you.

9 hours ago, Fudge Nuggets said:

Probably not, I only go once every five or six years.

So a typical YouTube video length.  If you're counting 5-10 minutes in a movie, lighten up a bit.

That was probably the "worst" part of the movie and I still thought it was good.  It was a satire / comedy movie; not some deep philosophical motivation film.  I went to it with my daughter thinking "I've heard some good things about this, maybe it will be kind of good." but I'm sure my daughter will love it and I want to see her reactions.  I enjoyed the shit out of my experience.  Sorry the extra 5-10 minutes ruined a great family experiece for you.

it didn’t ruin anything. It was too long. That’s not a fatal flaw, it’s common to many movies.  I rewatched Apocalypse Now with my sons the other day, and good lord that film needs a time edit. 

As I said, I enjoyed it.  It was very entertaining, visually unique and interesting, and funny. It was also too long and, as my wife pointed out, Gerwig pulled some punches in the feminist themes.  All of those things can be true.

You seem to be unable to see message board posts in anything other than binary. That’s fine, if you want to believe I was miserable or the run time ruined it for me, you do you, boo.

Edited by Bateshorn

Personally, I'd like go back to movie intermissions for anything over 2 hours. I understand the financial incentive to get the most showings per day, but I'm sure the theaters wouldn't mind a second concession run for each showing. Might even get more folks to show up for the 3 hour bloat fests.

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 2

It absolutely was too long. Most movies are these days.

Really enjoyed it overall, but ultimately it's hollow. Anti-capitalist feminism brought to you by Mattel and Chevrolet!

Spoiler

Her stepping out in her Birkenstock, signaling the rejection of hollow perfection in Barbieland in favor of imperfect personhood

, being perfectly framed with the Chevrolet bowtie was a perfect visual image of the whole farce.

A very very funny and clever farce, though.

Fucking Mojo Dojo Casa House

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 8/20/2023 at 7:45 AM, Bateshorn said:

it didn’t ruin anything. It was too long. That’s not a fatal flaw, it’s common to many movies.  I rewatched Apocalypse Now with my sons the other day, and good lord that film needs a time edit. 

As I said, I enjoyed it.  It was very entertaining, visually unique and interesting, and funny. It was also too long and, as my wife pointed out, Gerwig pulled some punches in the feminist themes.  All of those things can be true.

You seem to be unable to see message board posts in anything other than binary. That’s fine, if you want to believe I was miserable or the run time ruined it for me, you do you, boo.

You sound like the typical sport's writer/broadcaster bitching about the length of a game.

A true fan does not give a shit how long the game is.

• Hook 'Em 1

Saw a youtube short interview and had no idea Margot was Australian and has an accent. Shows how much I follow cinema. I hate theaters so I'll probably wait for it to hit Amazon to rent. I'm reading enough to think I'll at least appreciate the film. 

Edited by 'stache

5 hours ago, Steamboat1874 said:

You sound like the typical sport's writer/broadcaster bitching about the length of a game.

Sure thing, pops.

Grandpa Boomer GIF by MOODMAN

Except it’s a movie, not a sporting event. Runtime can have a dramatic effect on the quality of the experience.

That also happens to be true of sports.  I’ll sit through 4 hours of a Red Sox game.  I will not sit through 4 hours of a Royals game.

Edited by Bateshorn

I finally saw it yesterday. Some thoughts: 

- The 2001 homage was the funniest/most clever part of the film and… we all saw it in the trailer.

- While I love Margot, she played it too straight. The only thing Barbie did to make me laugh was the OBGYN visit which was more set up than anything Margot did.

- Gosling on the other other hand really goes for it and of course steals the movie. He’s really funny and charismatic as essentially the villain.

- I’m over the Will Ferrell silliness unless he wants to Step Bros/Old School 2.

- The Ken patriarchy stuff was pretty funny but they should have made it more Entourage than a weird horse fetish thing. Funny idea just not excited very well. 

-  Costume and sets were incredible.

- I expected it to be funnier and have more songs. Good soundtrack, it did must of the heavy lifting, but Margot should have gotten 1 song. 

- Has Rob Thomas ever explained WTF “Push” is about? 

- America Ferreira catches another basic mom role. We’d all be so lucky if the rest of the school drop off line looked like her. She’s too pretty to play ordinary, but Hollywood gonna Hollywood.

- Overall, I’d give it a B. Novel take executed well. I hope they don’t make another one, but they will because money.

51 minutes ago, billfromlaketravis said:

- Has Rob Thomas ever explained WTF “Push” is about? 

I just happened to read this earlier:

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/rob-thomas-matchbox-twenty-ryan-gosling-push-barbie-movie-1234795213/amp/

“Elsewhere in the interview, Thomas described writing the song, which was penned “overnight” with producer Matt Serletic. The musician wrote it about an ex-girlfriend, but is aware that the lyrics seem “problematic” in retrospect. “I wrote that song about someone I had been with who I felt was manipulating me and taking advantage of me,” he said. “The ‘90s was a time of manufactured angst, and nobody wanted to be a victim in a song. So in a weird twist of different times, there’s something very problematic about ‘Push,’ if it wasn’t for the innocence of how it was written. But everything about it was about emotional manipulation. It was just about this idea that it’s so much easier to find someone you can take advantage of than it is to actually put work into a relationship.”

• Hook 'Em 1

On 8/20/2023 at 12:47 PM, Herpa Derpa said:

Personally, I'd like go back to movie intermissions for anything over 2 hours. I understand the financial incentive to get the most showings per day, but I'm sure the theaters wouldn't mind a second concession run for each showing. Might even get more folks to show up for the 3 hour bloat fests.

Dances With Wolves is the last intermission that I remember. 

My mother-in-law, who is a retarded person, saw Barbie and explained to my father-in-law, who is a dick and totally deserves to have to spend his life listening to his idiot wife, that the reason right wing Republicans were upset with the movie was because Barbie went to the gynecologist.

• Haha 1

Finally got around to seeing it with the wife tonight. Really well done. Yeah, Will Ferrell being Will Ferrell was kinda unnecessary. But otherwise, really enjoyed it.
And actually, there were moments that were a little tough. It’s a movie about figuring out who you are and becoming. I’ve got a daughter in a bit of a rough patch as she’s in a transition period in life, figuring out who she is, and who she will be. That’s shit’s hard. It was tough to watch it felt on the screen. Tears there, plenty of tears in our house these days. I guess if a movie connects with you, it’s a good movie.

On 8/18/2023 at 1:43 PM, Bozo_Casanova said:

I'm still chuckling about some of the jokes tucked into throwaway lines, like "She thinks I'm a fascist? I don't control the railways, or the flow of commerce!" and "It's like I've been in a dream where I was really invested in the Zack Snyder cut of Justice League."

The fascist line might be my favorite quote from the movie.

• Hook 'Em 3

Finally saw it. From a social commentary perspective, I thought it was well done given the constraints of the movie which is Mattel owning Barbie and Mattel not wanting this film to be overly incendiary. Saw an interview with Margot and Gretta where they talked about trying to be respectful of the legacy of Barbie and addressing social issues. So those of you who think Greta didn't go hard and deep enough, that's probably a big reason why. Delicate tight rope to walk.

As a movie, I enjoyed the hell out of it. Had plenty of light parts mixed with some heavy moments. I'm a father of two amazing young women. I see the world they have to navigate and welcome any movie, work of art which entertainingly and intelligently addresses the challenges of being a woman.

• Hook 'Em 3

During the ALDS series between Astros and Red Sox where they both knew they were stealing signs and made 10-12 pitching changes, I checked out. Between pitchers taking an extra 15 seconds to “load up”, shaking off signs, pitching changes, and various junk grabs and spitting, MLB determined what real fans liked and sought to shorten games.

The best films are tighter and dont have wasted scenes. But even the best like Scorsese do it.

On 9/12/2023 at 10:05 PM, C-Man said:

Now available to rent but $25.99? WTAF?

It's still showing in theaters, so they're going to charge a premium for home rental for now. 

If you think of it that way and you're a family of 4, then $6-$7 per person isn't bad.

But if you want to wait for more "normal" rental prices then it's probably another 3-4 weeks.

• Hook 'Em 1

• 3 months later...

Watched it with my kids today. They're 8.  I saw it in theaters so I wondered how it held up on 2nd viewing.  Pretty good. 

They liked it although a lot of the stuff went over their heads.  They sang right along with the Ken song.

I actually thought is "Push" a good song?

Margot Robbie is a fantastic actress.

I watched it earlier today on Max. My daughter's saw it in the theaters and enjoyed it. So we watched it this afternoon. Personally, I had no idea what the movie was about and had really low expectations but the movie caught me by surprise. It was definitely a better than average movie.

Edited by F250

On 8/17/2023 at 7:43 AM, Nivek said:

I don’t know. It was good, well made, enjoyable but it’s a single view for me, a bit overhyped.

I caught it last night, and this was my thought as well.  It had some really good moments, but dragged in several places.  Much of the social commentary felt forced and fell a bit flat.  It's worth a watch if you can't find anything else that appeals to you, but I would not consider it "must see" cinema.  

On 12/17/2023 at 11:37 PM, F250 said:

I watched it earlier today on Max. My daughter's saw it in the theaters and enjoyed it. So we watched it this afternoon. Personally, I had no idea what the movie was about and had really low expectations but the movie caught me by surprise. It was definitely a better than average movie.

So it's not about Margot Robbie not wanting to wear panties anymore? 

Academy Awards Whatever GIF

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, idigTexas said:

I caught it last night, and this was my thought as well.  It had some really good moments, but dragged in several places.  Much of the social commentary felt forced and fell a bit flat.  It's worth a watch if you can't find anything else that appeals to you, but I would not consider it "must see" cinema.  

Same.  Even my wife thought it was a let down.