the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

22 minutes ago, SimonBolivar said:

This reminds me of a run in I had with a dude this week. He's coming to get a loan and just bullshitting around as normally occurs in that situation and states "us country Southern boys are just friendlier" as they've said for generations.

In the next sentence he breaks out the "I'm not going to try and Jew him or anything". The best part is if I had brought that slur to his attention he wouldn't have seen any way the two sentences worked against each other.

Your post hurts.  Been there 1000's of times.  In a calm demeanor, I call them out now.  Every time, I'm done. (insert German dinner party nazi saying)  The South could be one of the most incredible places in the world.  Anger, ignorance, and fear are holding back would could be incredible.  But in this instance of the simulation we are getting billboards, truck stops, stripmall churches, bail bonds, and check cashing stores.

Recently was in the UK, Folks there can pick out the slight southern affect in my voice.  On two separate occasions people mentioned that they always wanted to visit the south but that they don't think its safe.   I suppose statistically they are correct, but I do think on average they would be blown away by southern hospitality.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 2

7 minutes ago, locodos said:

Your post hurts.  Been there 1000's of times.  In a calm demeanor, I call them out now.  Every time, I'm done. (insert German dinner party nazi saying)  The South could be one of the most incredible places in the world.  Anger, ignorance, and fear are holding back would could be incredible.  But in this instance of the simulation we are getting billboards, truck stops, stripmall churches, bail bonds, and check cashing stores.

Recently was in the UK, Folks there can pick out the slight southern affect in my voice.  On two separate occasions people mentioned that they always wanted to visit the south but that they don't think its safe.   I suppose statistically they are correct, but I do think on average they would be blown away by southern hospitality.

It's been the fight of my life, trying to show people the good. Been pretty hard to defend lately though tbh.

I was in London back in 2012 or so, and a saleswoman in the shop was from the Czech Republic IIRC, but anyway, she asked if I was Australian lol.

• Haha 2

This is an aside, but one of the most shocking changes to me over the last two decades has been the way that Texas* has been culturally subsumed into the South, in all of the worst ways - the personal characteristics  and largness of spirit that once set us apart are disappearing. I think politics has been the catalyst for that. 

*Other than East Texas, which has always been culturally Southern. 

• Hook 'Em 7
  • Rage+1 1

5 minutes ago, G650 said:

I was in London back in 2012 or so, and a saleswoman in the shop was from the Czech Republic IIRC, but anyway, she asked if I was Australian lol.

Apropos of nothing, last summer on a visit to NYC I asked the cute barista "Hey, I like your accent, are you from Eastern Europe?"

She said, "Yes, Belarus."

"Oh, what do you think of the Ukraine conflict?"

"Belarus, not Russia".  (spits in coffee, probably)

It's good to know I'm still a dumbass.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

9 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

This is an aside, but one of the most shocking changes to me over the last two decades has been the way that Texas* has been culturally subsumed into the South, in all of the worst ways - the personal characteristics  and largness of spirit that once set us apart are disappearing. I think politics has been the catalyst for that. 

The wife and I were having this exact same conversation.  While neither of us were born in Texas, both have long ties to the state from both our single days and into our married lives.  We lamented that Texas is different now.  It used to be unique from a cultural standpoint and there was a sense of pride about that.  Now, it's basically The South with money.  We used to have a soft spot in our hearts for Texas but if we never live there again, we're fine with that and we didn't feel that way 10 years ago.  

Texas whatever....

That being said, the cities in the South are great.  It's the rural and suburban parts that are fucked up.

• Hook 'Em 1

16 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Apropos of nothing, last summer on a visit to NYC I asked the cute barista "Hey, I like your accent, are you from Eastern Europe?"

Oh gosh that coffee had something extra in it. I remember meeting a family that was on vacation last summer and they had Russian accents. I asked them where they were from and told me they lived in California. I told them it was okay to say they were originally from Russia once I mentioned the accent of the parents (Kids definitely have never been raised there). They were just so embarrassed to admit to anything even remotely Russian because of Ukraine.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yeah, if you're trying to talk to a cute barista maybe bringing up international conflicts isn't the right way to break the ice. 

53 minutes ago, The Dog said:

FWIW I don't think that Jordan ends up being Speaker without some serious horse trading. He's not very well liked amongst the caucus outside of the MAGA hard core.

Horse trading usually involves compromise and their entire ethos is to never compromise. A handful of the whackos get elected and they take that as a mandate that everyone in the country agrees that the government should be shut down. He'll never be speaker, but not for the right reasons. 

Edited by 'stache
  • Hook 'Em 1

It’s basically choosing to air congressional dirty laundry. This is supposed to go on behind closed doors. Not advertise your dysfunctional clown show to everyone 

Edited by Js1

31 minutes ago, Bozo_Casanova said:

It's been horrible to witness. I think the erosion got going back in the 80s when Texas was chic and you had phonies walking around in fucking leather vests and cowboy hats. More Texans lived down to the stereotype of the loud proud Texan. 

I recall my father who was born here seeing that "Native Texan" bumper sticker that was on so many vehicles back then. "There's something to be proud of," he said in a bemused grumble. "'I was born somewhere.' That's a real achievement."

• Hook 'Em 7

Just now, Js1 said:

Speaker Jordan means a Dem House in 2025, I assume. 

I read it as if he's the guy they put up for a vote then several GOP members will either vote for Jeffries or switch parties and do so. 

In other words Jordan won't be speaker it will be Jeffries instead.

• Hook 'Em 5

5 minutes ago, Js1 said:

It’s basically choosing to air congressional dirty laundry. This is supposed to go on behind closed doors. Not advertise your dysfunctional clown show to everyone 

If they don't get to grandstand in front of a camera and have their sick burns widely distributed, did it really happen? To them, governing is just a reality show for people who would never otherwise be famous.

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

I read it as if he's the guy they put up for a vote then several GOP members will either vote for Jeffries or switch parties and do so. 

In other words Jordan won't be speaker it will be Jeffries instead.

I’d be extremely surprised by that. I think it’ll end up a compromise R. I cannot see enough Republicans crossing to vote for him or switching parties. 

5 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

This is only the latest iteration of the clash between the "North" & the "South". I use quotes because the geographic distinctions aren't necessarily applicable today, but the beliefs of the cult haven't really changed much. It is a white Christian cult that wants power no matter what. Over time, they have adapted the moniker of Democrat, Redeemer, Dixiecrat, Republican, Fiscal Conservative, Tea Party, etc. It doesn't matter. What matters is they tell you what to do, and the rules don't apply to them. Everything else is all bullshit. And engaging in conversations about fiscal conservatism, family values, border security, the economy, is falling for the magic trick. They don't care about any of it. They just want to distract you while they gain more power and redraw the voting maps.  

So.  Much.  This.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952c6ld22r89au0j7518v

• Hook 'Em 3

3 minutes ago, Js1 said:

I’d be extremely surprised by that. I think it’ll end up a compromise R. I cannot see enough Republicans crossing to vote for him or switching parties. 

they could also just go independent. Keep in mind we're likely talking about the Biden district Rs who are almost certainly fucked no matter what. 

So they just burn down the GOP's majority out of spite on the way out as they are all lame ducks thanks to the kooks.

• Hook 'Em 2

19 minutes ago, The Dog said:

you mean a BIGGER circus:

Let's just take things to the next "Idiocracy" level and charge the American public to vote a la American Idol/America's Got Talent, etc.

17 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This didn't occur to me actually.

6 minutes ago, Brisketexan said:

So.  Much.  This.

giphy.gif?cid=6c09b952c6ld22r89au0j7518v

I agree. This is probably the best summation of today's Republican party in so few words that I've seen.

• Hook 'Em 3

7 minutes ago, The Dog said:

they could also just go independent. Keep in mind we're likely talking about the Biden district Rs who are almost certainly fucked no matter what. 

So they just burn down the GOP's majority out of spite on the way out as they are all lame ducks thanks to the kooks.

I am not going to 100% assume the electorate would vote them out because they sit in a Biden district. You know how much the moronic voters like “ChEcKs AnD bAlAnCeS” 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Love how McCarthy got on his knees for Trump but Trump wouldn't lift a finger to tweet an endorsement for McCarty in January. Now Trump is enthusiastically endorsing Jordan. Add McCarthy to a long line of people burned by Trump because McCarthy wasn't useful to him. FAFO.

Pledging your loyalty and life to an individual who is loyal only to himself is just about the dumbest fucking course of action imaginable.  And pathetic GQP bastards after pathetic GQP bastards keep doing it, the living embodiment of

Fqx-RLFWcAEI4Rs.jpg

This is. The dumbest.  Fucking.   Timeline.

• Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Love how McCarthy got on his knees for Trump but Trump wouldn't lift a finger to tweet an endorsement for McCarty in January. Now Trump is enthusiastically endorsing Jordan. Add McCarthy to a long line of people burned by Trump because McCarthy wasn't useful to him. FAFO.

ETTD

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I don't see how Jordan doesn't win unanimous GOP votes if Trump tells the GOP to do so. If a lowly representative goes against Trump, they're most likely done in the 2024 primary. And it's not like a large group would stand up together to say no to Trump.

Trump doesn't give a shit if you vote against his endorsements. Only if you vote against Trump.

• Hook 'Em 5

Trump doesn't give a shit if you vote against his endorsements. Only if you vote against Trump.
This is true. When a Trump-endorsed candidate loses-and they often do-he rarely comments. If he does it's well after the fact when he's already severed ties and then just talks about how that candidate was a loser, begged for his endorsement which gave the candidate a HUGE boost bit they still messed it up anyway because they're terrible. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.
  • Hook 'Em 7

5 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

Trump voters aren’t so care free with those that go against his wishes. And that’s who they’d be worried about- trump voters in their home districts. 

they won't remember because Trump won't bring it up. 

10 minutes ago, GhostOfTomJoad said:
24 minutes ago, The Dog said:

This is true. When a Trump-endorsed candidate loses-and they often do-he rarely comments. If he does it's well after the fact when he's already severed ties and then just talks about how that candidate was a loser, begged for his endorsement which gave the candidate a HUGE boost bit they still messed it up anyway because they're terrible. Wash. Rinse. Repeat.

and this. he can just throw Jordan under the bus when he loses.

• Hook 'Em 2

Trump was plotting to get the Speaker gig back in January:

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/inside-trumps-earlier-secret-bid-house-speaker-mccarthy/story?id=103779066

In reporting for my upcoming book, "Tired of Winning: Donald Trump and the End of the Grand Old Party," I learned that Trump had secretly plotted to be elected speaker back in January, when he was publicly supporting Rep. Kevin McCarthy, who was struggling to get the votes he needed.

The idea of Donald Trump serving as speaker was first proposed on the day he left the White House -- Jan. 20, 2021 -- by a pro-Trump activist named Rogan O'Handley, who went by the name "@DC_Draino" on social media. The idea was soon aggressively pushed by Steve Bannon, Trump's former chief strategist in the White House. At first Trump had no interest in the job, but that all changed as he watched McCarthy fail in vote after vote on the House floor in early January of this year.  What follows is an exclusive excerpt from "Tired of Winning,' which will be published on Nov. 14.

Spoiler

The prime-time drama surrounding the seemingly endless voting for House speaker in January caught the attention of the former president, who was soaking up every minute of coverage from his perch in Mar‑a‑Lago. The must-see television spectacle briefly revived an idea Trump had dismissed long ago: that he could become speaker of the House, the only congressional leadership post you can be elected to even if you are not a member of Congress.

"He saw the power of television," a close Trump adviser told me. "[He saw] how galvanizing it was, how mesmerizing it was -- everybody was watching it, right? That's when Trump realizes it's the biggest reality show in America. He could sit up there like The Celebrity Apprentice. It'd be 'The Apprentice' with him with a big-ass gavel."

Although the idea of Trump as speaker of the House had been kicking around for months, Trump had previously expressed no interest in it.

He considered the role to be beneath him. Why would he want to leave Palm Beach to spend his days in Congress? The only time anybody paid attention to what was going on in the House, he figured, was during the State of the Union address -- and even then, all eyes are on the president, not the speaker. "It never got any traction," a Trump adviser said of the idea. "He had literally no interest."

But with the nation's attention focused on the McCarthy drama on the House floor, Trump began to have second thoughts. And when, on the seventh ballot, Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz stood up and announced his vote for speaker -- "Donald John Trump" -- the former president was mildly amused. Until, that is, he saw the final vote tally being broadcast on all the news networks:

212 votes for Hakeem Jeffries
201 votes for Kevin McCarthy
19 votes for Byron Donalds
1 vote for Donald Trump

Gaetz called Trump after the balloting concluded, congratulating him on becoming the first former president since John Quincy Adams to receive a vote for speaker. But Trump wasn't pleased -- he was embarrassed. When the House clerk read off the vote totals at the end of the round -- "the Honorable Donald J. Trump of Florida has received one" -- laughter could be heard in the House chamber. Democratic lawmakers and progressive commentators were mercilessly mocking his lackluster support.

The ridicule only grew louder when Gaetz pulled the same stunt in the next round and the result was the same. "One vote," tweeted Don Lemon, who was then a CNN anchor. "That's it. That's all #Trump got for speaker of the House. #onevote."

Gaetz eventually realized his stunt was upsetting the former president and switched his vote to GOP Rep. Kevin Hern of Oklahoma for the next two rounds of balloting. But during that time, Trump, still stewing, told at least two people the real problem was that Gaetz had not formally nominated him for speaker. If Republicans realized he was a real candidate for speaker, Trump thought, they would have overwhelmingly voted for him.

Word of Trump's thinking quickly reached Gaetz, and the Florida Republican acted accordingly.

"For what purpose does the gentleman from Florida rise?" the House clerk asked Gaetz before the eleventh round of balloting kicked off.

"To place a name in nomination for the position of speaker of the House," he replied.

And with that, Trump was officially nominated as a candidate for speaker. One Republican close to both Gaetz and Trump later told me Gaetz ran the idea by the former president and got his approval before making the move. Another said Trump had proactively asked Gaetz to do it. Either way, the former president's name was formally placed in contention -- with Trump's blessing.

With that all sorted out, Gaetz had a speech to give. "My friends, when Donald Trump was president, taxes were cut, regulations were slashed, energy was abundant, wages were rising, capital was returning from overseas to fund the dreams and ambitions of our fellow Americans, and the economy was roaring," Gaetz began. As he spoke, the murmuring and heckling -- mostly from Democrats -- grew so loud the clerk had to bring down her gavel and demand the House be in order.

But Gaetz kept going: "I nominate President Trump because we must make our country great again. And he can start by making the House of Representatives great again."

When Gaetz finished his speech, Rep. Lauren Boebert of Colorado was the only person in the entire chamber to applaud.

The result was exactly the same. Donald Trump received just one vote -- from Matt Gaetz -- for speaker of the House. And once again, the cable networks rubbed it in, plastering a measly "1" next to Trump's name as commentators mocked the former president's pathetic vote total.

That was the final straw. "Once CNN and MSNBC started mocking him, that he had the lowest vote count in history," a Trump confidant -- who was in touch with the former president throughout the process -- told me, "all of a sudden, he was like, 'Get me out of there!' "

Edited by Francisco 2.0
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2