the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

32 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

Y’all gotta understand that a Jeffries speakership is a great outcome for a big chunk of the House GOP.  They are entirely uninterested in governing and their entire platform is simply permanent opposition and victimhood.  This is taken straight from the Trump guidebook, he spent four years in office talking about how awful and unfair he was treated in an election he WON. 

They have to have a wound to scream over and if they can’t create a convincing fake one, they’ll create a real one.  Many, many GOP members want nothing more than the chance to scream about how they won an election but the Democrats get the speakership because of unfairness and if they need to, they’ll help make that outcome a reality. 

Doesn't seem like a very strong case for them to make.

Trump didn't win because he whined about being treated unfairly. He won because he was, to enough of the electorate, the lesser evil.

They're TRYING the whole trick (autocorrect tried to make "trick" into "Reich" just there... how fitting) with Joe/Hunter again, but it's not working so well because

1. Unlike Hil, people actually like Joe

2. Suddenly he has his own baggage, it's worse than anything he's accused Joe/Hunter of doing, and unlike those accusations there's substantial evidence behind them

3. Good showmen know when to change their act instead of trying the same ol tricks year after year. This ain't a residential in Vegas; this is national.

• Hook 'Em 4

5 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

3. Good showmen know when to change their act instead of trying the same ol tricks year after year. This ain't a residential in Vegas; this is national.

This. He wishes he was a showman. He’s a carnival barker. 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Stop with the Jefferies as speaker fantasy. That’s ridiculous. 

There's probably some Republicans in the House who would love it if a few of their fellow Republicans crossed the aisle and voted for him - they could fundraise off of it, and campaign like crazy, if Hakeem Jeffries was the House Speaker.  Just don't tell MAGA that he's an actual Baptist who goes to church.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, Rimbo said:

Doesn't seem like a very strong case for them to make.

Trump didn't win because he whined about being treated unfairly. He won because he was, to enough of the electorate, the lesser evil.

They're TRYING the whole trick (autocorrect tried to make "trick" into "Reich" just there... how fitting) with Joe/Hunter again, but it's not working so well because

1. Unlike Hil, people actually like Joe

2. Suddenly he has his own baggage, it's worse than anything he's accused Joe/Hunter of doing, and unlike those accusations there's substantial evidence behind them

On what planet does the extreme wind of the GOP (or just “GOP”) need to make a strong case to its base? Sheeeeeeit. The dumber the better. 

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

Republicans are the biggest pussies on the planet. 2018, 2020, and 2022 have proven over and over for 3 years that Donald Trump is a loser. He loses. What he backs loses. They're scared to go against a fucking loser. 

When if they would just bite the bullet and get it over with they could easily minimize the impact of the radical jackasses like Gaetz. The thing is if they did it they would keep these shut downs and embarrassing escapades from happening and could go back to flying under the radar and most of them would be re-elected anyway. Sure a few would be primaried but that's going to happen no matter what. 

4 hours ago, Hermanator said:

They're going to let the country be shut down and continue to crumble because they're scared of radical pieces of shit. How funny that America, a country that prides itself on courage and valor, is crumbling because a bunch of Republicans are too pussy to keep their house in order and civilized. 

The bigger problem fro them, and none of them seem to give a shit since they seem to be only focused on grifting and/or the next election, is that all of this, plus the anti-abortion and anti-LBGTQ and the racism stuff is turning a whole lot of younger people away from the GQP.   Republicans are ensuring that they are going to lose a lot of races in the future, because they aren't replacing the olds that are dying off as nearly as fast as they should.

But do they care?  Trump is running and trying to pull in as much money as possible to his campaign and PACs (rather than the GOP's), and yet Trump isn't seriously campaigning in the battleground areas that flipped to Biden in 2020.  That's not a candidate or campaign that is serious about winning next year (maybe Trump discovered there's more money in losing).

• Hook 'Em 1

26 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

coming to america prince akeem GIF

Every time I hear Hakeem Jefferies mentioned I think of this line (yes I know, not the same spelling).  

Also, certainly not a reflection of Mr. Jefferies, it's just a line that has always made me laugh.  

It was a most gripping victory

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

42 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

On what planet does the extreme wind of the GOP (or just “GOP”) need to make a strong case to its base? Sheeeeeeit. The dumber the better. 

Yeah, but I'm not worried about those guys. I'm concerned about the rank-and-file going with them.

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

The bigger problem fro them, and none of them seem to give a shit since they seem to be only focused on grifting and/or the next election, is that all of this, plus the anti-abortion and anti-LBGTQ and the racism stuff is turning a whole lot of younger people away from the GQP.   Republicans are ensuring that they are going to lose a lot of races in the future, because they aren't replacing the olds that are dying off as nearly as fast as they should.

But do they care?  Trump is running and trying to pull in as much money as possible to his campaign and PACs (rather than the GOP's), and yet Trump isn't seriously campaigning in the battleground areas that flipped to Biden in 2020.  That's not a candidate or campaign that is serious about winning next year (maybe Trump discovered there's more money in losing).

I don't know. There's a lot of shitty young people out there too. I'll have to see that actually happen before I'll believe it. I think what Trump did was be so visible disgusting that tons of people who never vote did it just to vote against him. Especially after that whole summer of 2020 madness. 

I can't imagine trump doesn't want to win because it's looking like that's the only thing keeping him out of prison for the rest of his days

1 hour ago, atomheartbevo said:

They’ve given up on winning elections. It’s all there laid out, the idea is to disenfranchise as many people who may not vote for them as possible, gerrymander state legislatures to ensure a permanent majority, and then appoint POTUS via rhe legislature. That’s the literal plan. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 3

23 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

They’ve given up on winning elections. It’s all there laid out, the idea is to disenfranchise as many people who may not vote for them as possible, gerrymander state legislatures to ensure a permanent majority, and then appoint POTUS via rhe legislature. That’s the literal plan. 

This Up Here GIF by Chord Overstreet

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Rage+1 2

1 hour ago, Hermanator said:

I don't know. There's a lot of shitty young people out there too. I'll have to see that actually happen before I'll believe it. I think what Trump did was be so visible disgusting that tons of people who never vote did it just to vote against him. Especially after that whole summer of 2020 madness. 

I can't imagine trump doesn't want to win because it's looking like that's the only thing keeping him out of prison for the rest of his days

He may want to win, but he's not working on flipping any of the battleground states back.

53 minutes ago, 956 Worldwide said:

So Greg Abbott manages to disenfranchise a 100,000 libtards in Harris County.  Doesn't change the fact that Trump ain't doing anything to flip the states that switched to Biden.

2 hours ago, BamaATL said:

coming to america prince akeem GIF

Every time I hear Hakeem Jefferies mentioned I think of this line (yes I know, not the same spelling).  

Also, certainly not a reflection of Mr. Jefferies, it's just a line that has always made me laugh.  

Dude, Hakeem takes a back seat to Akeem any day of the week.  Hakeem didn’t even make the basketball team at the University of the United States.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

There's probably some Republicans in the House who would love it if a few of their fellow Republicans crossed the aisle and voted for him - they could fundraise off of it, and campaign like crazy, if Hakeem Jeffries was the House Speaker.  Just don't tell MAGA that he's an actual Baptist who goes to church.

Which is why if a D gets nominated for speaker the whole Dem caucus need to vote nay. Don’t let the Rs punt.
  • Hook 'Em 2

How do we know that? Oh yeah….BECAUSE THEY FUCKING TOLD US THAT’s EXACTLY WHAT THEIR PLAN IS.
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 1

Was driving yesterday and was listening to the Gata game on WRUF.  I actually heard an attack ad on Gaetz from an outfit that claimed he was voting with Democrats to screw over conservatives and raise their taxes.  And other wild weird accusations!

It was either a brilliant piece by a liberal org or the circular firing squad has begun.  I was so bemused that I missed the name, it was something something citizens for tax reform.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 4

On 10/6/2023 at 3:41 PM, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

The interesting thing about Tulsa is that it's Cherokee for "whale's vagina". 

Screenshot_20231006-144726.png

I thought that was longhorngirlie

On 10/6/2023 at 9:12 PM, BearSchlong said:

Which is why if a D gets nominated for speaker the whole Dem caucus need to vote nay. Don’t let the Rs punt.

Hakeem Jeffries was on every ballot back in January and had the most votes in the first 11 ballots or so.  It take 50%+1 to win though

18 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would put money on McCarthy being back in the Speaker role when the GOP realizes that Scalise or Jordan will never be selected. 

Who of the 8 House Republicans who voted for his ouster would now vote McCarthy back in?

and what political advantage would be gained for any of them?

• Hook 'Em 2

20 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

I would put money on McCarthy being back in the Speaker role when the GOP realizes that Scalise or Jordan will never be selected. 

It is looking like it's going to be 1/3 for McCarthy, 1/3 for Scalise and 1/3 for Jordan. 

22 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

Which of the representatives who voted to remove him do you expect to change their vote?

Edited by pantone159

18 minutes ago, pantone159 said:

Which of the representatives who voted to remove him do you expect to change their vote?

Whichever ones get some good kickbacks, more 2024 Pac money and better committee assignments, I’d guess. Not like any of them have principles 

25 minutes ago, yoladu said:

Who of the 8 House Republicans who voted for his ouster would now vote McCarthy back in?

and what political advantage would be gained for any of them?

There may be significant pressure to select a Speaker especially now that Israel is in a war.

Deals can always be made, and I don't call it an impossibility to see some Dems agree, with their leadership permission, to vote for a Republican for Speaker. The House is effectively 49-49-2.  I know that we're not at a point for this to happen today but 2-3 weeks from now is something else.

7 minutes ago, Nice Guy Eddie said:

There may be significant pressure to select a Speaker especially now that Israel is in a war.

Deals can always be made, and I don't call it an impossibility to see some Dems agree, with their leadership permission, to vote for a Republican for Speaker. The House is effectively 49-49-2.  I know that we're not at a point for this to happen today but 2-3 weeks from now is something else.

Hamas took out 335 House members?  

• Haha 5

It was my understanding that there would be no maths.  

Ribbing aside, you bring up a good point.  We all know if the GOP had a slightly larger margin and a guy like Jordan in there, Ukraine would be fucked right now.  But McCarthy held together a tenable coalition to keep our support up for them.  It shouldn't be as difficult a challenge to do that for Israel.  But as you say, it all depends on who take the helm.  But it's worth gaming out, a vacated/pro tem situation for the next several weeks as this Israeli/Hamas clash heightens or a chance the next speaker fucks up both Ukraine and Israeli support?  I dunno right now, but I hope  to fuck somebody at State and the Pentagon is looking into it.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

We all know if the GOP had a slightly larger margin and a guy like Jordan in there, Ukraine would be fucked right now.  But McCarthy held together a tenable coalition to keep our support up for them.nto it.  

Did he?  I thought all the Ukraine funding was approved under the Pelosi House.

Not sure of the logistics of the PDA's, but there have been 9 since this Congress was seated/McCarthy elected.  totaling about $14bn.  Obviously a PDA doesn't need a Speaker greenlight to proceed, but i'm quite sure a MAGA-puppet Speaker could sure as hell stall the fuck outta one.  

49 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Did he?  I thought all the Ukraine funding was approved under the Pelosi House.

27 minutes ago, Js1 said:

The Senate is in a bipartisan agreement to do one big package to get through next November. 

It will be an issue in this Speaker’s race 

Ukraine aid will be tied to Israeli aid:

Boobs and MTG and their ilk will scream and fundraise off it but it will pass.

• Hook 'Em 5

1 hour ago, YGIFS said:

Not sure of the logistics of the PDA's, but there have been 9 since this Congress was seated/McCarthy elected.  totaling about $14bn.  Obviously a PDA doesn't need a Speaker greenlight to proceed, but i'm quite sure a MAGA-puppet Speaker could sure as hell stall the fuck outta one.  

I was under the impression that we haven't yet disbursed all the Pelosi House funds.  Anyway,  it makes no difference -- the whole new deal is to fuck Ukraine, and they will do what they can to pull that off, because "yay Putin".

• Like 1