the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

47 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

The epitome of “anonymous Republican/source shits on Trump or the base”

Things are looking pretty good here, the Republicans are still too insane to win a general 

Did the story about the huge, water-intensive Saudi farm story have impact there? Looks like the whole deal was allowed and protected by GOP office holders.

Arizona cancels leases on alfalfa farm.

An Arizona farm owned by a Saudi Arabian company that grows alfalfa for export is set to lose its access to state land in a move Gov. Katie Hobbs said would “protect Arizona’s water future.”

The farm, in Butler Valley in western Arizona, has been mired in controversy over its pumping of unlimited amounts of groundwater, free of charge, to irrigate its water-thirsty alfalfa crop. The company then ships the alfalfa to Saudi Arabia, where the crop is fed to dairy cows.

Arizona is moving to immediately terminate one lease held by Saudi-owned Fondomonte Arizona, which operates the farm, and will not renew three other leases that are set to expire in February, Governor Hobbs said in a statement this week.

• Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, RomaVicta said:

Did the story about the huge, water-intensive Saudi farm story have impact there? Looks like the whole deal was allowed and protected by GOP office holders.

Arizona cancels leases on alfalfa farm.

It did, it was the one time I saw republicans in this state cheer on Hobbs when she canceled the deal.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

Can't find the tweets but apparently Johnson agreed to bring Ukraine aid to a floor vote as long as it included additional oversight. The latter is to give cover to the MAGA folk so they can vote for it. Not sure that's enough to get him over the finish line but it appears he's at least making deals with the non-MAGA crazies. 

18 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Mike Johnson isn’t Gym Jordan.  Johnson straddles the party much better. He’s low key enough to pull it off sadly. 

The Speaker is almost always from the party base and Johnson fits that mold. The key is whether or not that person can work with the Senate and White House to get legislation passed. We know Jordan wouldn't do that at all and was only running to wreck everything. 

15 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

On the bright side, Johnson could work with democrats and get away with it. 

Exactly. He's got the "street cred" to pull it off.

Unfortunately MAGA has shown that if you don't do exactly what they say then they will stab you in the back, so we'll probably be doing this again in a few weeks after they avert another shutdown and get the Israeli/Ukrainian aid passed.

• Hook 'Em 2

2 minutes ago, The Dog said:

Can't find the tweets but apparently Johnson agreed to bring Ukraine aid to a floor vote as long as it included additional oversight. The latter is to give cover to the MAGA folk so they can vote for it. Not sure that's enough to get him over the finish line but it appears he's at least making deals with the non-MAGA crazies. 

22 minutes ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

We are 3ish weeks from another shutdown.  I'd like to know more of his plan to work with Biden and the Senate to pass a funding bill.  Because as we know, their entitlement cut agenda isn't going to make it through a Dem Senate or be signed by Biden. 

1 hour ago, Hugo Stiglitz said:

Mike Johnson isn’t Gym Jordan.  Johnson straddles the party much better. He’s low key enough to pull it off sadly. 

is Ken Buck (and the like) who dug in on both Scalise and Jordan on the question of 2020 election denial 2 weeks ago going to continue to dig in?

just looking at Mr. Buck makes me think he will waffle and/or just conveniently forget his prior strong held convictions.

Edited by yoladu
  • Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Js1 said:

He’s an idiot 

He sounds like a used car salesman, and the Republicans that were around him at that press conference, who got upset at the question about his election denial, sounded like they were just trying to get this shit over and get back to fucking up everything.  They are clearly very desperate.

If this falls through, and I have a feeling it will, we might get on the path to somebody who will cut a deal with the Dems.

• Hook 'Em 2

What are the rules for how a vote on a speaker gets to the floor. Who decides? After the Republican private votes, no one has had enough votes to get to 217, so why have some of the public house votes proceeded anyway? Who made that happen?

Sigh. Some days...not often...but some days...I want these fucks to actually win and cut medicare, cut social security. I'm in my 40's, have medical insurance, and am planning my retirement like I will never get a fucking dime of social security because it won't exist anymore. You know what, wreck it all and see what fucking happens. Because I'm better insulated than most. Go on, fuck over all the old fucks who voted for you. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Rage+1 1

1 minute ago, Dbeasy said:

What are the rules for how a vote on a speaker gets to the floor. Who decides? After the Republican private votes, no one has had enough votes to get to 217, so why have some of the public house votes proceeded anyway? Who made that happen?

So why have proceeded? Because they're fucking stupid and probably actually thought pressure would move votes, or that they actually counted like shit and thought they'd have it in the bag. 

The temporary speaker, Bowtie McLilliputian, can basically just convene the house to call for a vote on speaker, that's it. He'll do that when the caucus decides to do that. They happened because they thought they'd elect a speaker. Because they're fucking stupid, myopic, or both. 

2 minutes ago, RomaVicta said:

image.png.760c9ab20f39d29e278724038a05f792.png

Accountability: the Watchword of the GOP

I'd like to cuff that smug smirk off his lying face.

This is the game. Does this pasty gang of degenerates look like they're interested in playing politics? No. They're in the war against the republic. They actually laughed at a reference to the insurrection then shouted down the questioner.

Maybe I'm off the deep end, but I think the political discussion on this thread about the implications of who gets elected speaker from this bubbling cess pool are sort of stuck in the past. There are no GOPs (maybe a few, I guess) at all interested in becoming more moderate. 

These are defenders of rebellion. The do so in the clip above. These are constant liars. These people have no policy agenda other than painting Dems as dangerous enemies of the country and collecting on the fear and hate they create. And they don't give a fuck about the interestest or health of this country.

The US would not miss a single one of these weasles who might emigrate away to another country or an incinerator somewhere. Not a single person in that picture is worth the skid mark on a homeless man's underwear. 

So dealing with them or hoping for something good from them is futility. The only answer is removing them from power. Peaceful means remain available.

pasty gang of degenerates

*chef's kiss

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

Normally whomever receives enough votes for the speaker nomination get the floor vote to become speaker. Occasionally some really shady shit happens to the nominee and they withdraw before a vote can be held. Which is what happened to Scalise and Emmer. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

From what I can tell the only person that can call a vote is the Speaker Pro Tempore. And McHenry isn't doing anything until the Republicans have a candidate. So ...

• Hook 'Em 1

It's been discussed by the talking heads a few times that the house republican caucus is leaving it up to the nominee regarding when he wants to take the vote to the floor.  Some have wanted to try to find votes first, while others wanted to go right to the floor to force public votes one way or the other.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Zonahorn said:

Normally whomever receives enough votes for the speaker nomination get the floor vote to become speaker. Occasionally some really shady shit happens to the nominee and they withdraw before a vote can be held. Which is what happened to Scalise and Emmer. 

That’s what I thought. So all of the folks here saying that “someone” won’t let a vote happen for a speaker who cuts a deal with democrats, how would that work. For example let’s say someone can get enough votes from a republican private vote. Would the speaker temp then arrange for a public vote where a few democrats at the end put him/her over the top? How are the minority republicans going to stop that?

3 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

That’s what I thought. So all of the folks here saying that “someone” won’t let a vote happen for a speaker who cuts a deal with democrats, how would that work. For example let’s say someone can get enough votes from a republican private vote. Would the speaker temp then arrange for a public vote where a few democrats at the end put him/her over the top? How are the minority republicans going to stop that?

I don't believe the minority republicans could stop it alone.  However, it would be difficult to win the nomination from the caucus in the first place if they knew of your plan to solicit Dem votes.  You'd have to be sneaky about it.

ETA: and even then you have to deal with the MTV rule that still allows Gates to tank the speakership all over again

Edited by Lurch

Just now, Dbeasy said:

I told you in the post you quoted, they pull some shit to force the nominee to withdraw before a floor vote, which is what happened to Scalise and Emmer.

• Hook 'Em 1

19 minutes ago, Dbeasy said:

What are the rules for how a vote on a speaker gets to the floor. Who decides? ...

I believe that is McHenry's call as the Speaker Pro Tem.  Of course, he isn't going to unliaterally decide to hold a floor vote.  He'll call for one when the caucus (or current nominee) request it.

50 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Sigh. Some days...not often...but some days...I want these fucks to actually win and cut medicare, cut social security. I'm in my 40's, have medical insurance, and am planning my retirement like I will never get a fucking dime of social security because it won't exist anymore. You know what, wreck it all and see what fucking happens. Because I'm better insulated than most. Go on, fuck over all the old fucks who voted for you. 

C'mon dude. You know exactly how that would play out.

Spoiler

Fox News: "Democrats are cutting YOUR Social Security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

10 minutes ago, tokamak said:

C'mon dude. You know exactly how that would play out.

Reveal hidden contents

Fox News: "Democrats are cutting YOUR Social Security!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

I mean I agree, but you're missing my point: which is I would sit around enjoying their just desserts. I don't care who they'd blame. I don't care about anything other than they'd be living in poverty and squalor and hardship, and when they bitch about it, everyone could simply say "Social Security? What are you, fucking pro-communism?" My sentiments on my bad days have nothing to do with politics and everything to do with punishment. 

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Hook 'Em 3

5 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

That’s easy.  They are thinking the elections will be won without the need to garner the legitimate vote totals to win.  And anyone who believes the 2020 election was stolen will accept that as a necessarily evil response.  We think of free and fair elections as being in peril.  The MAGA brain views them as long gone and believes that we are already living in a post-Democratic nation.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Rage+1 5