the 2023 speaker of the house voting thread of implosion

henrygandorf

3 hours ago, SubliminalHorn said:

Aw it’s story time 

Oh, boy! I LOVE story time! Here's one:

Once upon a time, there was a young eel, deep in the coral reef. He lived a happy life and never thought of anything but feasting on the tasty fish and shrimp that lived in the bottom of the ocean with him, swimming and feeling the push of the tide as it drew him in and out, and sleeping in his comfortable hidey-hole. It was a comfortable life, and he was content.  Until one day, as he was swimming about, a wise old shark swam by. "Little eel," said the shark. "Are you not lonely? Do you not often wish for companionship?"  The little eel thought about it. "No, sir," he said. "I am quite content swimming around and eating delicious shrimp and living in my hidey-hole."  "Suit yourself," said the old shark. But as he swam away, he added, "Might as well forget I asked."  Now, if that shark had said something like, "Mark my words," or if the shark had emphasized the importance of it, then the young eel would have done just that. But since the shark had made nothing of it and, in fact, had told the eel to forget it, quite naturally the eel could think of nothing else for days. And because he could think of nothing else, he became very unhappy with his life indeed. He became bitter about his shrimp and fish dinners and uncomfortable with his hidey-hole. And when he went out to swim with the tide, surrounded by the population of the reef, it only made him feel lonelier.  "Oh stuff all these things!" he said. "I was never unhappy about it, but now I am unhappy without a companion! I must find one." And so the young eel swam off in search of a companion.  Within minutes, he found another eel. "Hello, Miss eel," he said to her. "Would you like to be my companion?"  "Oh, no," she said. "I have a companion already, and all these little fry to take care of! But thank you for the offer." And he swam away, disappointed, but he did not expect to be so lucky on the first try.  He came up to another eel a couple of hours later. "Hello, Miss eel," he said to her. "I would like a companion."  "You would, would you?" said she. "Well, good luck with your search."  "Would you like to be my companion?" he asked.  "I am not interested in a companion at this time." And he swam away, quite perturbed.  A couple of days later, he came upon another eel. "My dearest Miss eel," he said to her. "Isn't it a lovely day for companionship? Would you like to join me?"  "No," she said.  "Why not?" asked he.  "Because," she said, "In all honesty, you seem a bit too eager for companionship to me. And I wonder, what is it you are looking for that you haven't found?"  "I am looking for a companion," he said. "I was happy in my hole, eating shrimp and fish and swimming with the tide, but then I realized that I did not have a companion, and that I must have a companion to be happy."  "But my dear Mister eel," she replied. "If you are not satisfied without a companion, what makes you think you will find something with one? Companionship is as much about giving as it is about taking. Are you ready to give? I can tell you are not. You are thinking only of what you want. Now do go, I have had a busy day of swimming and need my rest."  And the young eel was more frustrated than ever, and darted back to his hidey-hole, bitter and upset.  He had been there a week, pouting and grouchy, before the shark swam by again. "What's this?" he asked the little eel. "What happened to my happy young eel? I think I have not seen an eel so miserable as this in all my years! Do you no longer enjoy your shrimp and fish and your swimming with the tide and your coze hidey-hole?"  "No!" the young eel nearly shouted. "I do not have a companion to share this with me! And I must have one to be happy," he said.  "Oh, dear," said the shark. "You do now? You didn't before."  "Well, yes," said the eel. "I was quite content before. But then the idea of having a companion -- well it seemed so nice! Someone I can snuggle with in my cozy hidey-hole. I can catch a big fish or shrimp and split it with her! We can swim in the ocean together."  "Those sound quite nice. But they seem quite nice even without a companion, no?"  "Well, yes, but now that I think of how it might feel to do them with someone..."  "Perhaps that is the case. Perhaps there is no more enjoyment to be had in these things," said the shark, and he swam away.  Now if that shark had pointed out to the eel that the things he had enjoyed were still just as fun as they had been before, the eel never would have thought another thing of it. But because the shark said there was no more enjoyment to be had, the young eel began to think.  "You know, I do still like my hidey-hole. It is a very nice hidey-hole by itself. And I enjoy swimming in the water just as much as I always did. And the little fish I ate yesterday was particularly good. I would enjoy them just as much as I did before if I don't have a companion. Why would I miss the joy without them?"  And so the little eel stopped worrying about having a companion, and began to enjoy his life once again. He still had that longing in his heart, but he was no longer a miserable young eel. He was happy again.  One month later, the water was warming up as Spring began to arrive, and he was just the happiest little eel swimming about, when someone came up to him.  "Pardon me," she said. "I couldn't help but notice how much you were enjoying the water here."  "Dance with me!" said the little eel. "It's fun, but it's even more fun if we do it together!" And she did. And the two eels spun and coiled and danced, and all the fish and life around the reef were amazed at the beauty of their dance.  Just then, the eel spotted a large tiger shrimp! "Over there!" he said to the other eel. "Those taste wonderful, but they are too large for one little eel to eat. Would you like to split one with me?"  "Oh, I don't know," she replied.  "You don't have to if you don't want to. Here, I'll catch some for myself, and you may try it if you like." And he shot forward and snapped and bit the tiger shrimp clean in two. He nudged the tastiest part, the head, to the female eel, and she ate it. Together, they ate the delicious shrimp.  "You know," she said, "I've had them before, but for some reason, like this, it tastes better!"  "Yes," the little eel yawned, "I think... I think you're right!" And the little eel was very tired.  "I must retire to my cozy hidey-hole. It is truly a nice hidey-hole. Great for sleep. I am tired."  "Oh, I do love a good hidey-hole," she said.  "Would you... would you like to share mine with me?"  "I do believe I would!"  And so the young eel snuggled up in his hidey-hole with his new companion, and they went to sleep.  The wise old shark watched all this from afar, while an even older lobster ambled up to him.  "You knew that the little eel would finally find love all along?" the lobster.  "Of course," said the shark. "That's a moray."

• Haha 3

Just now, Rimbo said:

Oh, boy! I LOVE story time! Here's one:

Once upon a time, there was a young eel, deep in the coral reef. He lived a happy life and never thought of anything but feasting on the tasty fish and shrimp that lived in the bottom of the ocean with him, swimming and feeling the push of the tide as it drew him in and out, and sleeping in his comfortable hidey-hole. It was a comfortable life, and he was content.  Until one day, as he was swimming about, a wise old shark swam by. "Little eel," said the shark. "Are you not lonely? Do you not often wish for companionship?"  The little eel thought about it. "No, sir," he said. "I am quite content swimming around and eating delicious shrimp and living in my hidey-hole."  "Suit yourself," said the old shark. But as he swam away, he added, "Might as well forget I asked."  Now, if that shark had said something like, "Mark my words," or if the shark had emphasized the importance of it, then the young eel would have done just that. But since the shark had made nothing of it and, in fact, had told the eel to forget it, quite naturally the eel could think of nothing else for days. And because he could think of nothing else, he became very unhappy with his life indeed. He became bitter about his shrimp and fish dinners and uncomfortable with his hidey-hole. And when he went out to swim with the tide, surrounded by the population of the reef, it only made him feel lonelier.  "Oh stuff all these things!" he said. "I was never unhappy about it, but now I am unhappy without a companion! I must find one." And so the young eel swam off in search of a companion.  Within minutes, he found another eel. "Hello, Miss eel," he said to her. "Would you like to be my companion?"  "Oh, no," she said. "I have a companion already, and all these little fry to take care of! But thank you for the offer." And he swam away, disappointed, but he did not expect to be so lucky on the first try.  He came up to another eel a couple of hours later. "Hello, Miss eel," he said to her. "I would like a companion."  "You would, would you?" said she. "Well, good luck with your search."  "Would you like to be my companion?" he asked.  "I am not interested in a companion at this time." And he swam away, quite perturbed.  A couple of days later, he came upon another eel. "My dearest Miss eel," he said to her. "Isn't it a lovely day for companionship? Would you like to join me?"  "No," she said.  "Why not?" asked he.  "Because," she said, "In all honesty, you seem a bit too eager for companionship to me. And I wonder, what is it you are looking for that you haven't found?"  "I am looking for a companion," he said. "I was happy in my hole, eating shrimp and fish and swimming with the tide, but then I realized that I did not have a companion, and that I must have a companion to be happy."  "But my dear Mister eel," she replied. "If you are not satisfied without a companion, what makes you think you will find something with one? Companionship is as much about giving as it is about taking. Are you ready to give? I can tell you are not. You are thinking only of what you want. Now do go, I have had a busy day of swimming and need my rest."  And the young eel was more frustrated than ever, and darted back to his hidey-hole, bitter and upset.  He had been there a week, pouting and grouchy, before the shark swam by again. "What's this?" he asked the little eel. "What happened to my happy young eel? I think I have not seen an eel so miserable as this in all my years! Do you no longer enjoy your shrimp and fish and your swimming with the tide and your coze hidey-hole?"  "No!" the young eel nearly shouted. "I do not have a companion to share this with me! And I must have one to be happy," he said.  "Oh, dear," said the shark. "You do now? You didn't before."  "Well, yes," said the eel. "I was quite content before. But then the idea of having a companion -- well it seemed so nice! Someone I can snuggle with in my cozy hidey-hole. I can catch a big fish or shrimp and split it with her! We can swim in the ocean together."  "Those sound quite nice. But they seem quite nice even without a companion, no?"  "Well, yes, but now that I think of how it might feel to do them with someone..."  "Perhaps that is the case. Perhaps there is no more enjoyment to be had in these things," said the shark, and he swam away.  Now if that shark had pointed out to the eel that the things he had enjoyed were still just as fun as they had been before, the eel never would have thought another thing of it. But because the shark said there was no more enjoyment to be had, the young eel began to think.  "You know, I do still like my hidey-hole. It is a very nice hidey-hole by itself. And I enjoy swimming in the water just as much as I always did. And the little fish I ate yesterday was particularly good. I would enjoy them just as much as I did before if I don't have a companion. Why would I miss the joy without them?"  And so the little eel stopped worrying about having a companion, and began to enjoy his life once again. He still had that longing in his heart, but he was no longer a miserable young eel. He was happy again.  One month later, the water was warming up as Spring began to arrive, and he was just the happiest little eel swimming about, when someone came up to him.  "Pardon me," she said. "I couldn't help but notice how much you were enjoying the water here."  "Dance with me!" said the little eel. "It's fun, but it's even more fun if we do it together!" And she did. And the two eels spun and coiled and danced, and all the fish and life around the reef were amazed at the beauty of their dance.  Just then, the eel spotted a large tiger shrimp! "Over there!" he said to the other eel. "Those taste wonderful, but they are too large for one little eel to eat. Would you like to split one with me?"  "Oh, I don't know," she replied.  "You don't have to if you don't want to. Here, I'll catch some for myself, and you may try it if you like." And he shot forward and snapped and bit the tiger shrimp clean in two. He nudged the tastiest part, the head, to the female eel, and she ate it. Together, they ate the delicious shrimp.  "You know," she said, "I've had them before, but for some reason, like this, it tastes better!"  "Yes," the little eel yawned, "I think... I think you're right!" And the little eel was very tired.  "I must retire to my cozy hidey-hole. It is truly a nice hidey-hole. Great for sleep. I am tired."  "Oh, I do love a good hidey-hole," she said.  "Would you... would you like to share mine with me?"  "I do believe I would!"  And so the young eel snuggled up in his hidey-hole with his new companion, and they went to sleep.  The wise old shark watched all this from afar, while an even older lobster ambled up to him.  "You knew that the little eel would finally find love all along?" the lobster.  "Of course," said the shark. "That's a moray."

God, I wish I still had access to Mr. Wizard's Star Trek/Star Wars spec script from Shaggy. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, ConferenceRoom said:

God, I wish I still had access to Mr. Wizard's Star Trek/Star Wars spec script from Shaggy. 

Yep. Same. Had to go home-grown for that instead. Paragraphs were not preserved in copy/paste which really just makes the desired result all the better.

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, tokamak said:

Lost another one, Molinaro-NY (yet again a Biden district). He has not gained any so far from the 2nd vote.

i almost feel like these additional rounds are an attempt for some Republicans in Biden districts to save themselves from their previous votes FOR Jordan.

See, see.. i am a moderate.. i voted against Jordan, it's right there.. round 3.

Question for those in the know -- at the Texas Capitol, you can just walk in and sit in the gallery. Same thing at the US Capitol? (Or does entry require special access or in the performance of an insurrection?)

Edited by FirstTimeCaller

2 minutes ago, TexasHooch said:

He keeps arguing that it's the Dem's fault because they represented 96% of the "No" votes.  I wish she would have asked him what would have happened if they had represented 100% of the "No" votes.

I wish she'd ask him "Why should a Dem vote for a GOP speaker? Did you vote for Pelosi in 2019 and 2021?"

• Hook 'Em 5
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Group aligned with Freedom Caucus is behind pro-Jordan pressure campaign

From CNN's Melanie Zanona

The Conservative Partnership Institute — a group headed up by former Freedom Caucus Chair Mark Meadows, who is Jim Jordan’s close ally — has been an active player in the intense, outside pressure campaign aimed at boosting Jordan’s speakership candidacy, sources tell CNN. 

CPI has been coordinating calls and helping strategize with right-wing activists about ways to apply pressure on holdouts and whip up support for Jordan, sources say.

Jordan has denounced the threats and harassment some of his detractors are facing, and has denied any involvement in the right-wing intimidation tactics. But CPI is very closely tied to the Freedom Caucus, which even holds their weekly meetings at CPI’s headquarters. 

There’s growing anger among the holdouts over the bullying they are facing from some of Jordan’s allies on the right, and they say they are disappointed with Jordan’s response — which is only hardening their opposition. 

Rep. Don Bacon tells CNN: “Jordan and his team are in denial over the threats and harassment his supporters are doing. Jordan’s response has been tepid.”

Edited by TexasHooch
  • Hook 'Em 3

Can any of the GOP fools that are voting for Jordan not understand that strong arm, death threat, bullying M.O. is what he would bring to the table as Speaker were he elected?  I'm disappointed but not surprised at my go along to get along Rep voting for this asshole.

• Hook 'Em 3

Just now, Beau Vine said:

I seriously don't understand what the point of continuing to hold votes is.  

Gymbo is a big fan of “ow my balls?” Or he’s just proving how fucking aggy the GOP really is. Keep rolling shit out, losing and trying again and again 

• Haha 1

Just now, Beau Vine said:

Are they just stalling?  They think this is good because the government can't work?

Some of them genuinely think this is just a negotiating tactic and the other members will eventually come around like they did with McCarthy.

Some of them are in disbelief that Jordan is this unpopular.

Some of them just like to watch the world burn.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

2 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Are they just stalling?  They think this is good because the government can't work?

C-SPAN covered an impromptu press conference on the steps of the Capitol.  Gaetz et al seem to really believe that they can win support for Jordan.  Delusional.

This is the result of zero sum politics. GOP won’t abide ANY compromise with Dems so there’s been zero effort to offer them anything of substance in exchange for being able to function. And since they can’t get their own conference in line - they’d rather just embarrass themselves over and over and over

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Drool 1

It would be helpful if CNN would have on senior Dem House leadership to reiterate that it’s not their job to bail out the GOP or elect a speaker for a body where they don’t have the majority. And that the GOP didn’t vote for Pelosi in 2019 or 2021.

But no, let’s put on a bunch of GOP members to blame the Dems 

Edited by Js1
  • Hook 'Em 6
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1