The official 2024 GOP Presidential Candidate Clown Car thread!

horn4life

33 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

It is.  All of the Confederate states either mentioned directly or indirectly that it was about their right to maintain slavery and a quick 30-seconds on Google shows what the secession leaders were saying.  People like Haley try to play up the states rights things, but they leave out what rights the states wanted to maintain.

Either i or @TreatyOak have mentioned this guy in the past - he does an amusing, but very thorough takedown of the whole states rights thing.

Yes, I love how he eviscerates the, "this wasn't about slavery" argument. Of course it was!

In those primitive times, poor people in the South gave up their lives and treasure in order to help rich people prosper. Thank heavens the people of the Southern US have evolved beyond these primitive ways today. 

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Rage+1 1

52 minutes ago, Jive Turkey said:

Damage control. 

Then why didn't you say that. In fact, when slavery was presented to her, she scoffed at it and went into "next question" mode. 

Not like any of this matters though, unless Dotard drops dead sometime soon.

• Hook 'Em 1

47 minutes ago, TreatyOak said:

In those primitive times, poor people in the South gave up their lives and treasure in order to help rich people prosper. Thank heavens the people of the Southern US have evolved beyond these primitive ways today. 

And its not just the south....  Dumbasses in all states continue to support and elect people who don't give two shits about them, their problems, or their success.  But hey, those politicians deserve my vote for continually promising to lock down the border and keep the brown people away, who are here for our jobs, children, and ruin our love of the white, NRA-member Jesus.

Edited by TeeDubya
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 hour ago, Al Bundy's Napoleon Hand said:

In 1492, President Santa Claus sailed the ocean blue and founded America, a limited liability corporation. His vice president was Paul Bunyan who discovered California at the edge of the world. Then they freed the slaves!

You forgot that the slaves were happy and that they learned viable trades.

21 hours ago, Neonmoon said:

The government interfering with people’s freedoms…TO OWN SLAVES you vapid sock puppet 

I find the Cornerstone Speech to be a good way to shut up the 'states rights' mouth breathers.  You're not going to change any minds, but it gets them to be quiet on the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerstone_Speech

Our new government['s]...foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests upon the great truth, that the negro is not equal to the white man; that slavery—subordination to the superior race—is his natural and normal condition. This, our new government, is the first, in the history of the world, based upon this great physical, philosophical, and moral truth.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Every one of these motherfuckers knows exactly what is going on and it’s all about black people being equal to white people and they don’t like it and they are racist fucks and they wish they didn’t have to pretend about it but they do and they are getting called on it and it’s uncomfortable and fuck all of them. 

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

I find the Cornerstone Speech to be a good way to shut up the 'states rights' mouth breathers.  You're not going to change any minds, but it gets them to be quiet on the issue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cornerstone_Speech

Toss in that in 1861, the State of Texas made it illegal for both the state and for slave owners to free slaves.  Sure, it wasn’t about slavery.

https://tarlton.law.utexas.edu/c.php?g=801151&p=5725484

ARTICLE VIII.

["SEC. 1. The Legislature shall have no power to pass laws for the emancipation of slaves."]

["SEC. 2. No citizen, or other person residing in this State, shall have power by deed, or will, to take effect in this State, or out of it, in any manner whatsoever, directly or indirectly, to emancipate his slave or slaves."]

["SEC. 3. The Legislature shall have no power to pass any law to prevent immigrants to this State, from bringing with them such persons of the negro race as are deemed slaves by the laws of any of the Confederate States of America; provided, that slaves who have committed any felony may be excluded from this State."]

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

His criticism of Jefferson:

“The prevailing ideas entertained by him and most of the leading statesmen at the time of the formation of the old Constitution were, that the enslavement of the African was in violation of the laws of nature; that it was wrong in principle, socially, morally and politically. It was an evil they knew not well how to deal with; but the general opinion of the men of that day was, that, somehow or other, in the order of Providence, the institution would be evanescent and pass away. [...] Those ideas, however, were fundamentally wrong. They rested upon the assumption of the equality of races. This was an error. It was a sandy foundation, and the idea of a Government built upon it—when the "storm came and the wind blew, it fell."”

We are re-living that disagreement all over again today. The GQP wants a white supremacist state (remember, their god JUST SAID that, you know, THOSE people are “poisoning the blood of our country.”
It is a racist party in the throes of a racist lurch that wants us to be a racist nation. Fuck them all to hell.
  • Like 1

The GOP has poisoned themselves with too many racists and intellectually dishonest people. Candidates have to walk a tightrope to not offend the base. And I imagine that most gop politicians can get away from it because few people pay attention to the majority of candidates. Haley is actually going to hasten her inevitable loss because she couldn’t just say slavery and move onto the next question.

Calling them a basket of deplorables was too nice. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Not sure if Tim Miller's experience from AmericaFest has been posted. The whole piece is worth a listen but around the 11 minute mark he talks about the crowd responding to the idea of Haley as VP with chants of "Lock her up!"

???

Wut.

"Hillary woman. Haley woman. 😡 Don't like. ... 💡... !!! Lock her up!"

• Hook 'Em 2

Did the Austin to Victoria back to Austin drive over the last week. I've seen exactly one Trump sign. This route used to be covered with Trump signs, probably 20+ on 183 S, and were up for over 2 years after losing. TX Primary is March 5. Iowa caucus is in 2 weeks, NH the week after.

My question is with how much we shit on General Election polling, does anyone here have the same disbelief for all the primary polling showing Trump with these massive leads? I could see Trump supporters not having the energy to stick around for caucus voting, and if someone jumps over him in New Hampshire, there is some potential for some very good meltdowns.

• Hook 'Em 2

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

Did the Austin to Victoria back to Austin drive over the last week. I've seen exactly one Trump sign. This route used to be covered with Trump signs, probably 20+ on 183 S, and were up for over 2 years after losing. TX Primary is March 5. Iowa caucus is in 2 weeks, NH the week after.

We’ve noticed a lot less going to Fredericksburg than in 2020, and Waco as well.  And more than a few are leftover 2020 stuff.

7 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

My question is with how much we shit on General Election polling, does anyone here have the same disbelief for all the primary polling showing Trump with these massive leads? I could see Trump supporters not having the energy to stick around for caucus voting, and if someone jumps over him in New Hampshire, there is some potential for some very good meltdowns.

I think he still gets the nomination, but it sure as hell feels like there’s a lot less enthusiasm for him, which bodes well for the general.  Even my MAGA relatives that we’ve been around the last week are far less fired up.  I jokingly asked if any had contributed to his legal defense fund that he calls a campaign, and yeah, responses were tepid.  And their social media profiles are not nearly as Trumpy as 2019/2020.

If somebody beats him in an early primary, he will go scorched earth on the GQP and how they rigged everything against him if he loses.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, BamaATL said:

I disagree, I honestly think we are about to see a pretty big Republican no show in 2024.  

5 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

That’s my point. They’re just not going to vote.

I hope so.  Out of the MAGA types I’ve been around during the holidays, and it’s been a lot here in Texas, none of them were enthusiastic like they were in 2020.  And Trump ain’t campaigning, he’s raising legal defense funds.  He cares more about his financial empire somehow surviving than he does anything else, and neglecting the battleground states is not very wise.

It’s not going to be Georgia/FSU numbers, but yeah, there ain’t fans showing up in massive numbers at his trials either.

As an example, my mother told me yesterday, which I can only assume is a parroting of the latest Fox News narrative, that she’s worried that if Biden wins he’ll just resign and give to Kamala.

She, surprisingly, has soured on Trump. But she def hates dems more. I assume Fox knows this and is using this angle to scare people into voting for dotard again.

• Hook 'Em 1

3 minutes ago, atomheartbevo said:

I hope so.  Out of the MAGA types I’ve been around during the holidays, and it’s been a lot here in Texas, none of them were enthusiastic like they were in 2020.  And Trump ain’t campaigning, he’s raising legal defense funds.  He cares more about his financial empire somehow surviving than he does anything else, and neglecting the battleground states is not very wise.

It’s not going to be Georgia/FSU numbers, but yeah, there ain’t fans showing up in massive numbers at his trials either.

The signs and lack of shit talking is way down in my area, which was probably 65-35 the other way in 2016 and 2020.  I think @Brisketexan said it the best, Trump really isn't the problem, it's that he enabled the MAGA types to think this sort of behavior was somehow normalized.  In a sense, he, in their demented and sick minds legitimized every awful racist, homophobic, etc impulse.  They aren't gone, and nor is their insane set of beliefs, but their lack of vocal and display of support is down in my area.  

I also think there is psychology at play as well.  When a group of people are resided to the belief that they are destined to lose, they usually help manifest it.  Ironically, the Republicans have been really good at convincing Democrats of that the last 40 years or so.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, and we need to reinforce that belief with fucking epic beat down come November.   

• Hook 'Em 4
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

Agreed.  The play is to keep 5-10mm of them in strategic states to just sit this one out for lack of enthusiasm.  Many of them were rarely-if-ever voters anyway, can't be that hard.  He'll be dead or lose, or both. Soon enough.  But we will still have 25mm MAGA acolytes on our hands after that.  They'll throw a fuss when we're celebrating his defeat/death in the streets.  Then they'll simmer down and regroup around something altogether different.  That drug kick ain't going away, it'll just take on a new delivery system.  

There are only three solutions after that---let them die off soon enough, arrange it so they kill one another (my preference), or put me in charge of a national railroad system.  Link your arms and your ministries, get them on the trains.  Let us astonish Charles Darwin himself.  Our vision for a MAGA-free America.  Imagine it.  The Final Solution to the Trump Question.  Feed the machine.  There will no trouble doing what needs to be done, but with you all at my side, so much is possible...

13 minutes ago, BamaATL said:

I also think there is psychology at play as well.  When a group of people are resided to the belief that they are destined to lose, they usually help manifest it.  Ironically, the Republicans have been really good at convincing Democrats of that the last 40 years or so.  Now the shoe is on the other foot, and we need to reinforce that belief with fucking epic beat down come November.

Doesn’t help that Trump spends his social media and interview time bemoaning about how everybody is out to get him and that the antifa judges and Biden’s DOJ are going to destroy him.  He has been projecting the image of a loser for the last three years, and I think on some level, a lot of Republicans believe him when he says or hints that somebody will find him guilty of something.  The reality TV Star has forgotten that if you tell people something long enough, and loud enough, they’ll believe it,

• Hook 'Em 2

It's becoming painfully obvious that Trump, even if pressured by polls and donors, isn't going to select her as his running mate.  He may well pick a female, but he's sinking Haley's boat as we speak.  Vivek is trying to cup his balls every chance he gets.  I know most of you despise Christie but I give him points for at least having some fight in him.  Of course, the DeSantis thread spells out what we think about his chances.  But yeah, I have fuck all idea about what Nikki is trying to prove at this point.  Were I her, I'd shut the fuck up, and shut down for 4-8 years and take a swing down the road when most MAGA lunatics are dead or senile.  She's playing some twisted long-game that has almost no positive benefits.  She's just inflaming MAGA-nation and she's more likely to end up on the wrong side of a Brown People hate crime than in Trump's cabinet.  Of the four remaining to oppose Trump, her playbook is by the far the most baffling.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 minute ago, YGIFS said:

Of the four remaining to oppose Trump, her playbook is by the far the most baffling.  

Yeah, Vivek will never go anywhere at the national level for a lot of reasons, Ron will be lucky if he wins a House seat in 2026 - his personality just grates on everybody, and his wife should be running instead. MAGA will never forgive Christie

Nikki would have the most potential of those running if she bowed out and went into stealth mode for a cycle or two and hoped everybody forgot the past few weeks.

• Like 1

As a Republican I say fuck Trump with a giant cactus. That douche has crippled the party for at least 2-3 election cycles. Vivek , Haley and Tim Scott may all have been viable candidates to beat a very weak Joe, but who knows what they really believe as they all have to deal with the backwash of Trump and MAGA 24/7. Even after the Don gets another epic public beatdown, we’re still screwed for the foreseeable.

I don’t agree with any of Ron’s fascist policies but at least they are somewhat coherent policies. Vivek talks in sound bites and is the live version of posting outrageous shit for clicks. He is not a viable candidate. 

• Hook 'Em 2

4 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

As a Republican I say fuck Trump with a giant cactus. That douche has crippled the party for at least 2-3 election cycles. Vivek , Haley and Tim Scott may all have been viable candidates to beat a very weak Joe, but who knows what they really believe as they all have to deal with the backwash of Trump and MAGA 24/7. Even after the Don gets another epic public beatdown, we’re still screwed for the foreseeable.

Can I ask what Republican policies that the party currently espouses you agree with?  Because their literal platform was "whatever Trump wants" last time.

ETA: Did it occur to you that it may not be Trump?  It could be that the entire party has embraced a fascistic ideology incompatible with American values.

Edited by Biff Tannen
  • Hook 'Em 4

Here are the Republican policies I see in action.  The main ethos is welfare for corporations and the rich not for the poor  

- privatization of tax money for education (defunding public schools to subsidize rich families going to private school)  This is just one program in the overall corporate welfare plan 

- shutting down social safety nets like social security, food stamps, health care etc. This will reduce corporate expenses and swell profits. The irony is that a large number of the people voting for this are on social security disability 

- vengeance. If you speak truth and not the lies of dear leader then you will be punished 

• Hook 'Em 2

10 hours ago, GoPokes83 said:

As a Republican I say fuck Trump with a giant cactus. That douche has crippled the party for at least 2-3 election cycles.

As a former young Republican, I say I hope you are off by about 28-27 election cycles.  I want my old party burned to the fucking ground, and its unrepentant members defenestrated, hung, drawn* and quartered.

* the bad kind

hugh-despenser-the-younger-dfd3b353-b2ff

• Hook 'Em 5

On 12/28/2023 at 11:21 PM, atomheartbevo said:

It is.  All of the Confederate states either mentioned directly or indirectly that it was about their right to maintain slavery and a quick 30-seconds on Google shows what the secession leaders were saying.  People like Haley try to play up the states rights things, but they leave out what rights the states wanted to maintain.

Either i or @TreatyOak have mentioned this guy in the past - he does an amusing, but very thorough takedown of the whole states rights thing.

I almost posted this video before in this thread and been subbed to this guy for awhile. Later in the video (`30 min) he addresses how many in the confederacy wanted to abandon "state's rights" and turn it into a Christian authoritarian slave state. History repeats itself once again.

Edited by Jhawkmvp
  • Like 1
  • Rage+1 1

56 minutes ago, Covri said:

Is there a republican debate tonight and if so where is it shown live?

edit: never mind it’s on cnn, the new Fox News 

Ron is desperate.  Ron doesn’t believe in states’s rights and wants to use the federal government to crack down on states doing things he doesn’t like.  It’s a ducking annoying debate.

Trump has to be furious that both of them are calling him out on a lot of things.

Ron is truly fucking stupid. He gets rattled easily and he gets flustered when he gets away from his memorized talking points.

She just stuck the knife in, blasting him over blowing through $150 million on his campaign and not having anything to show for it.

• Hook 'Em 2

3 minutes ago, Underdog said:

Casey’s about to push him aside and take his place if not too late, choose her eyebrows as her VP. 

It has to be driving her nuts, given how at ease she is in front of cameras, while he’s that scared little 8 year-old in the school play shitting his pants that he’ll forget his one line,

• Haha 2