Texas Basketball 2023-24

MuellerHorn

20 minutes ago, MotownHorn said:

The bottom line is this…

Our team might be great next year and it might be awful 

No one fucking knows which one it will be right now no matter how strongly they state their opinion 

I’ll make a judgment in June once the dust settles 

Bottom line is there’s not enough data yet.  Johnson not coming because of grades and money doesn’t surprise me.  Apparently it’s 750k?  Our nil wouldn’t have paid that to him as far as I know.  I think it’s way too early for either side to claim a W.  Yea. There’s people here who said that Rodney could win the title and it wouldn’t mean he should get the job

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Degenerate Gardner said:

This where I am. I’m not even sure Arterio would have stayed if Beard had. Seniors still would have been out of eligibility. Maybe we would have been more successful landing transfers to date but that’s far from settled.  Ultimately there’s nowhere to go but forward and I hate backwards looking hand wringing like Tech hated Chris Beard.

Where were the seniors going to go?  Were any of them going to get drafted as juniors?

1 hour ago, Hank_Hill said:

Remember when Derka said those that are the least often correct make the most “I told you so” posts? Hank remembers.

Not a better. I told you so moment than 7 months before our first game.  Rodney could fail here.  Not sure any wine said he was the absolute best candidate or that he’s better than Beard.   But we don’t like wife beaters.   

6 hours ago, HookEm said:

I still am hopeful that we will have a very good team next year.  We could very easily end up with this team:

• Tyrese Hunter (6'0 G) - Started 38 games on Elite 8 team
  • Max Abmas (6'0 G) - Summit PoY, NCAA All-Region Team  (Oral Roberts)
  • Quincy Olivari (6'3 G) - 2x All-CUSA  (Rice) 
  • Kalib Boone (6'9 F) - All Big-12 (Oklahoma State) 
  • Dylan Disu (6'9 F) - Started 35 games on Elite 8 team, Big12 Tourney MVP
  • Ron Holland (6'8 F) - 5-star, #6 National Recruit
  • Brock Cunningham - (6'5 F) - 113 games played for Texas, on most of our best lineups
  • Kadin Shedrick (6'11 C) - 35 starts for Virginia
  • Alex Anamekwe (6'5 F) - Minimum minutes. Will probably not be an impact player for a few more years

We won't get all of these players, and honestly we don't have room for them all.  

TLDR version: Relax.  Lot of stuff will happen over the next month.

How do we not have room for them all....that's only 9 players. we got 5 more hoopers squirreled away that I'm not aware of?  

4 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

dude i have already responded to this exact post from you before: it is not my job to make sure that you read and understand every post on this forum, and i am not going to go back through thousands and thousands of posts to try and prove something to you that you somehow inexplicably missed in the first place.

Bullshit.  

If I am the only one who missed all these stupid posts claiming RT and Beard are equals then it should be super easy to find one. But they don’t exist. Because if they did I have ZERO doubt you would post a hundred of them.

So until you actually post one, I’m going to keep calling bullshit on that narrative that a lot of our fanbase thinks we just swapped equals.

I suppose someone here could make the process easier if they could speak up if they have that opinion.  (Crickets)

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, HookEm said:

Bullshit.  

If I am the only one who missed all these stupid posts claiming RT and Beard are equals then it should be super easy to find one. But they don’t exist. Because if they did I have ZERO doubt you would post a hundred of them.

So until you actually post one, I’m going to keep calling bullshit on that narrative that a lot of our fanbase thinks we just swapped equals.

I suppose someone here could make the process easier if they could speak up if they have that opinion.  (Crickets)

on this page's episode of Moving The Goalposts:

C7286468-43AD-45E6-AF1F-3474EE050001.thumb.jpeg.a0460f3c4a0d1dea93776f0d0300270f.jpeg

from "they aren't in the same league" to "they are equals" in one post. well done.

this is why talking with y'all is so often an exercise in futility. you come in here acting like you just dunked all over me when in reality all you've done is continue to (everyone take a drink) move the goalposts. you can't even stick to the subject, yet you're filled with righteous indignation. just a treat to converse with. 🙄 

Edited by shadow_operative

10 hours ago, Blotto said:

How do we not have room for them all....that's only 9 players. we got 5 more hoopers squirreled away that I'm not aware of?  

What I meant by that is someone like Kalib Boone isn’t going to come here if he is going to come off the bench. And we aren’t going to bench Disu. And it is going to be hard to not start Ron Holland. So we definitely have room for more bodies, but it will be hard to load up with all-conference type players.

8 hours ago, austintiger said:

I just find it hilarious that people are confused by all this. He has been a head coach before and it was a disaster. I frankly don't understand why anyone would think it would be any different here.

i mean, you can shit on him for what he did at UTEP - that's for sure.

...but at Fresno State he signed his initial contract in 2011, then an extension in 2014, then another extension in 2016. you aren't a disaster if you get to your third contract with the same school.

• Hook 'Em 3

21 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

Sweet so this off-season is going lovely. Fucking a, just saw the Johnson news. Will we have enough players for a team?

no. The AD had decided to punt on the final Big 12 basketball season.

Edited by HtownHorn
  • Hook 'Em 1

Sweet so this off-season is going lovely. Fucking a, just saw the Johnson news. Will we have enough players for a team?

I have a strong feeling we will be looking for a new men’s basketball coach in three years. Meanwhile, Beard will have Ole Miss competing for SEC championships.

10 hours ago, austintiger said:

I just find it hilarious that people are confused by all this. He has been a head coach before and it was a disaster. I frankly don't understand why anyone would think it would be any different here.

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're a truly stupid person.

We just went to our first Elite 8 in 15 years.  And everyone saying, "we just don't know if he can build a team yet" is apparently oblivious to the fact that assistant coaches go on recruiting trips, too.  And a lot of you look at the fact that he couldn't recruit blue chips to play at nothing programs as proof that he can't recruit blue chips to play here.  Do y'all have any idea how monumentally stupid that is?  Apparently not.

Look, I'm not saying he's definitely gonna succeed, either.  Assuming success would be just as dumb as assuming failure.  But he's got a lot of tools in his toolkit, including a very deep run a month ago, and he earned this shot.  Let's maybe give him more than one month of one offseason before we bury him, yeah?

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Fuck You 1

34 minutes ago, C-Man said:

I have a strong feeling we will be looking for a new men’s basketball coach in three years. Meanwhile, Beard will have Ole Miss competing for SEC championships.

I couldn’t care less about Ole Miss and their 5 tournament wins in their program’s history and what they do moving forward. 

I cheered for the university of Texas, not the university of Chris Beard. Good luck to him as he beats up on Alcorn State and Missisisipi Valley State in November and “unites the Ole Miss basketball family” by naming a game against Grambling the Marshall Henderson Classic.

Edited by Hookem2147
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 1

6 minutes ago, Hookem2147 said:

I couldn’t care less about Ole Miss and their 5 tournament wins in their program’s history and what they do moving forward. 

I cheered for the university of Texas, not the university of Chris Beard. Good luck to him as he beats up on Alcorn State and Missisisipi Valley State in November and “unites the Ole Miss basketball family” by naming a game against Grambling the Marshall Henderson Classic.

Why the need for all the HBCUs lol

Just now, Pancho said:

Why the need for all the HBCUs lol

Had to think of the worst two basketball schools in Mississippi and then Grambling seemed like an opponent Chris Beard would schedule for one of those unite the family games lol. He’ll move the Grambling game to the Ole Miss rec center. Student only game.

6 minutes ago, CTC2 said:

While I find it useless to beat this dead horse about whether or not RT should have been hired I am a bit surprised how much some people are invested in defending the decision. 

Because they cheer for the University of Rodney Terry.

3 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Or Chris beard community college

While recognizing CB was a bad ass coach, those posters were open to hiring another great coach, if obtainable, but RT supporters wanted him since midseason. There were few who started saying they wanted him hired right away after winning 3-4 games. Then he lost a few games and the chatter slowed down. Then after beating Kansas, it started back again. For most of them, it was never about finding the best coach for our future; rather what RT has to do to get the job. So bizarre!

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

While recognizing CB was a bad ass coach, those posters were open to hiring another great coach, if obtainable, but RT supporters wanted him since midseason. There were few who started saying they wanted him hired right away after winning 3-4 games. Then he lost a few games and the chatter slowed down. Then after beating Kansas, it started back again. For most of them, it was never about finding the best coach for our future; rather what RT has to do to get the job. So bizarre!

I support RT because he's our coach.  I'd support CB, if he were our coach.  I don't think many said mid season, I think a lot said "ok he's earned the job after the elite 8." And then there's the "idc if he makes the title game, I will never support his hire."  

Chris Beard is a bad ass coach but his last  three seasons he won 18,18, and 22. The Shaka team he took over had a better regular season than his did though he did take his team to the round of 32.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, closetohumping said:

I support RT because he's our coach.  I'd support CB, if he were our coach.  I don't think many said mid season, I think a lot said "ok he's earned the job after the elite 8." And then there's the "idc if he makes the title game, I will never support his hire."  

Chris Beard is a bad ass coach but his last  three seasons he won 18,18, and 22. The Shaka team he took over had a better regular season than his did though he did take his team to the round of 32.

People who staunchly defend RT are the ones who said they wanted him midseason. The ones who said he deserved to be hired after sweet 16 or elite 8 (including myself) wanted us to explore the coaching field. We were never a fan of RT as a HC (as an assistant and person, yes), but understood that he deserved the job after taking us deep in the tourney. 

I can't believe I have to defend CB's coaching career. I guess these "stats" are coming from RT supporters. He made every program markedly better very quickly. He also coached to prepare for the tourney, which is where programs are made. He was recruiting at an elite level at Tech of all places and as soon as he landed here. 

CB is gone, so let's move on. I am not even sure if he will have the same level success going forward as before given the baggage he has to carry now. We will see if he can overcome it. However, most of us non-Terry fans saw where Terry's ceiling (and struggles) would be and didn't think that would be good enough for Texas.

4 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

People who staunchly defend RT are the ones who said they wanted him midseason. The ones who said he deserved to be hired after sweet 16 or elite 8 (including myself) wanted us to explore the coaching field. We were never a fan of RT as a HC (as an assistant and person, yes), but understood that he deserved the job after taking us deep in the tourney. 

I can't believe I have to defend CB's coaching career. I guess these "stats" are coming from RT supporters. He made every program markedly better very quickly. He also coached to prepare for the tourney, which is where programs are made. He was recruiting at an elite level at Tech of all places and as soon as he landed here. 

CB is gone, so let's move on. I am not even sure if he will have the same level success going forward as before given the baggage he has to carry now. We will see if he can overcome it. However, most of us non-Terry fans saw where Terry's ceiling (and struggles) would be and didn't think that would be good enough for Texas.

Sounds like you and I may not be on opposing sides. I still say there are probbly 20 better coaches in CBB but given what he did last year, I thought he won the job and it would have been a tough pill to swallow for some if you bring in Miller, a guy he just beat.  And you know, optics, etc.

But now that RT is the guy, I say we give him some room and not react with "see he's not the guy" when a kid becomes an "academic issue."

31 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Sounds like you and I may not be on opposing sides. I still say there are probbly 20 better coaches in CBB but given what he did last year, I thought he won the job and it would have been a tough pill to swallow for some if you bring in Miller, a guy he just beat.  And you know, optics, etc.

But now that RT is the guy, I say we give him some room and not react with "see he's not the guy" when a kid becomes an "academic issue."

Right. I don't think Surly would be as fun as it is if nobody overeacted. Also, what we post here doesn't affect Terry's coaching or the support level. He is going to get the support from the people who can give it to him. I believe the support will only increase if he struggles with roster building. People who matter don't want to sit on the sidelines and watch Texas falter. With regards to the fans showing up, it will be up to Terry. If he wins and connects with the fans, they will show up. 

Edited by UTEE97
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, UTEE97 said:

Right. I don't think Surly would be as fun as it is if nobody overeacted. Also, what we post here doesn't affect Terry's coaching or the support level. He is going to get the support from the people who can give it to him. I believe the support will only increase if he struggles with roster building. People who matter don't want to sit on the sidelines and watch Texas falter. With regards to fans showing up, it will be up to Terry. If he wins and connect with the fans, they will show up. 

I totally get it, and I think at some point, we all flip as facts change.  If Rodney is still struggling in 2025, I'll take the L.  I think he's capable, given the support he should have here.  But, guys like Mitchell and Morris leaving, etc, to me aren't an indictment or Rodney.  Guys didn't leave Chris after his first year because they weren't first round picks or  weren't looking for more PT.  

Also I didn't think there were many homerun hires out there.

I'll let this shake out before claiming a W or saying I was wrong.  It's been like 3 weeks?  

20 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

the fuck? you've spent the better part of the last month aggressively seeking out anyone who didn't love that we had to hire RT and talking crazy shit to them about how wrong they were. now you're trying to quietly blend in with those same people? fuck the fuck off dude. seriously, maybe go ahead and sit out RT's entire tenure with that shit talking bullshit you've been pulling about how great RT is. @idigTexas can follow your ass right out the door. 

Still sticking to your claim that you aren't an "I told you so" delusional fuckface?  I never made any claims about how successful Terry was going to be.  I simply pointed out that he obviously wasn't hired based on his previous head coaching experience, with absolutely zero input on whether that experience should have mattered.  The fact that you can't comprehend that does not change the facts of why Terry was hired, why we needed to hire someone in the first place, nor how I feel about any of it.

Facts:

• Beard was fired for cause
  • Terry was hired to replace him
  • I made a post on this thread pointing out that what Terry did in replacement of Beard obviously mattered more in his hiring than his previous head coaching experience, as it was assumed that he would not have been hired before replacing Beard
  • I made no comments on whether his previous coaching experience should have mattered more, simply that it obviously didn't to those who did the hiring
  • I am not happy that Beard is not a good enough person to be our coach, regardless of how great of a coach he is
  • I am not jubilant that Terry was hired, but understand why he was, and likely would not have been excited by any of the realistic alternatives
  • I still have hope that Terry can get the job done in spite of the way-too early "sky is falling" reaction to his first month on the job
  • Derka is a passionate fan who has trouble with rational thought and discussion

Those are the fact.  I avoid engaging you because, in spite of the positive contributions you make to the site, and especially the basketball forum, you are a petulant ass, incapable of rationally considering any opinion that you don't share.  I don't even disagree with you about most of this.  You simply misconstrued what I originally posted, and have been on an unwavering crusade to label me as some sort of Terry champion.  Now stop pretending that you don't want Terry to fail, stop calling me out, and kindly fuck off.  

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, shadow_operative said:

remember hookem's thread/poll about "what would RT need to do during the tourney to earn this job"? remember when some of us said that no tourney run could do that, because it's just one tourney run with a team that's not his, and that the rest of his 27 years as a d-1 coach points to him not being the guy? remember when a bunch of other posters freaked out over that, and gloated and talked a bunch of shit to us after every win in march?  because derka fucking remembers! 😡😡😡

Remember when Derka said he doesn't make "I told you so" posts?  idig fucking remembers.

The team that lost to ACU was Final Four caliber.  We finished #9 in the final season poll.  That team was stacked and criminally underachieved. 
Did Chris Beard keep Kai Jones, Greg Brown, Jerecho Sims, and Matt Coleman from going pro, even though they all had college eligibility left?  Nope. 
Did Chris Beard keep Kamaka Hepa, Donovan Williams and Royce Hamm from hitting the portal?  Nope.
It all worked out fine, even though a lot of us were very worried at the time.  Let's give Terry a little time and see what happens.
3d8416b0a53e6820b23463c37f097790.jpg
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, ztejas said:

The 180 in this thread if Tre Johnson walks through that door would be hilarious. 

For me, if we get abmas, hunter back, arterio back, disu and a couple other transfers, and holland starts game 1. I’ll be fine with what happens next year. Don’t think it will be like this year but it will be competitive. 

35 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

And then there's the "idc if he makes the title game, I will never support his hire."  

There were a grand total of 11 people who said that yet you keep using this as ammunition when it’s numerically irrelevant. 

5 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I totally get it, and I think at some point, we all flip as facts change.  If Rodney is still struggling in 2025, I'll take the L.  I think he's capable, given the support he should have here.  But, guys like Mitchell and Morris leaving, etc, to me aren't an indictment or Rodney.  Guys didn't leave Chris after his first year because they weren't first round picks or  weren't looking for more PT.  

Also I didn't think there were many homerun hires out there.

I'll let this shake out before claiming a W or saying I was wrong.  It's been like 3 weeks?  

I feel like it's normal for a Texas fan to feel bad when we lose recruits and players who would have been significant contributors. It's also expected of RT fans to say, it's not a big deal. To me, it's a big deal until RT can replace them with equal or better talent. Given our NIL and other advantages, I am not concerned that we would have a decent roster, but I far more enjoyed the days when we could get the best available.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, UTEE97 said:

I feel like it's normal for a Texas fan to feel bad when we lose recruits and players who would have been significant contributors. It's also expected of RT fans to say, it's not a big deal. To me, it's a big deal until RT can replace them with equal or better talent. Given our NIL and other advantages, I am not concerned that we would have a decent roster, but I far more enjoyed the days when we could get the best available.

I'm disappointed, but allegedly he got 750K?  We can't realistically match that imo,.

5 hours ago, closetohumping said:

I'm disappointed, but allegedly he got 750K?  We can't realistically match that imo,.

I understand the money but why now all of a sudden? He had stayed committed for a long time and expressed support for RT only to change course soon after meeting him as the HC. Did he just get the offer? That's the stange part to me.

Edited by UTEE97

Just now, UTEE97 said:

I understand the money but why now all of a sudden? He had stayed committed for a long time and expressed support for him only to change course soon after meeting him as the HC. Did he just got the offer? That's the stange part to me.

I feel like, and not just with him and not just in basketball, kids and their entourage are constantly exploring options and things do pop up.  And now, college basketball could be a fall back option, like college baseball.  We, and others, have lost a ton of kids to mlb before they ever set foot on campus.  JMO>

14 minutes ago, RockyMountainHighHorn said:

For me, if we get abmas, hunter back, arterio back, disu and a couple other transfers, and holland starts game 1. I’ll be fine with what happens next year. Don’t think it will be like this year but it will be competitive. 

Not Gonna Happen No Way GIF by CBC

• Hook 'Em 1